Random Observation

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Random Observation

Post by Truant »

(Warning: reading this will give you a glimpse inside my head, which is scary)

So I was driving to work this morning and the car in front of me had Pennsylvania plates. This isn't that weird, as there are literally hordes of out of state plates all over this town right now. I assume people are coming here to gobble up the piles of forclosed houses and take advantage of our wrecked real estate market.

The thing that caught my attention was the PA state tourism website at the bottom of the plate.

First thing that goes through my head. An overwhelming majority of people who see a PA plate are going to be people living in PA. So that's lost marketing. The next thing that goes through my head is that maybe PA is having a large scale exodus of people moving out of that state to other states, and so the tourism board is trying to take advantage of that...reaching people in all kinds of states. While that's plausible, it doesn't seem likely, nor would I really expect the state tourism board to be that forward thinking (state governments are relatively dumb as shit).

So now I'm sitting at the stop sign, scratching my head (figuratively) wondering why the hell that website is there on that liscense plate.

This takes maybe 2 seconds (generous) before my brain goes off somewhere else on one of the countless other trains of thought I have on my very short (7 mile) drive to work.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Re: Random Observation

Post by Fash »

Pennsylvania isn't the only state that does that, and it's not 'lost marketing' for in-state people to see it. There are many things to see and do in PA that even most residents haven't taken part in.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

TEH POCANOS!
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

After having watched so many movies like the Bourne Trilogy and such I find myself always looking for the exits when entering a building. I always try and remember something about things that seem out of place. Like the license plate from out of state I would have been trying to commit the plate number to memory. I usually forget it all right away anyhow. It is strange how movies can have that effect on people.

They say that things that people appreciate they tend to appropriate. I guess that means that I admire that skill in others, even if they are fictional characters, and try to emulate that characteristic. *shrug*
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I always sit facing the door in any public place, like the library. That way, if there is a gunman, I can see him coming and duck behind a stack of books. Problems arise when I am in an open area. Thus, I always head for a corner with a nearby staircase.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I always think about what I would do at any given time if a nuke went off near my area. Detroit and Chicago are both decent targets where I would live through the inital blast.

I also think about what my perfect survival kit would contain. I've gone so far as to price out everything I would want and require to survive solo in urban and rural areas that could fit in a backpack.

It's pretty weird, I know :P
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If I were in charge of nukes I wouldn't waste one on Detroit.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Aslanna wrote:If I were in charge of nukes I wouldn't waste one on Detroit.
Didn't someone already use a nuke on detroit? :)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

First thing that goes through my head. An overwhelming majority of people who see a PA plate are going to be people living in PA. So that's lost marketing. The next thing that goes through my head is that maybe PA is having a large scale exodus of people moving out of that state to other states, and so the tourism board is trying to take advantage of that...reaching people in all kinds of states. While that's plausible, it doesn't seem likely, nor would I really expect the state tourism board to be that forward thinking (state governments are relatively dumb as shit).
I live in the Tri-State area here. 5 mins from PA state line, and i can see jersey across the river, 10 mins by car. PA, NJ, and DE, all commute within each other, and this produces a lot of outter state marketing. The majority of the tags from PA in my part of DE have a reference to some sort of state sponsored or marketing site.

That aside, There are more Maryland, Jersey, and PA drivers on Delaware's stretch of I-95 than we have in total population.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:
I live in the Tri-State area here. 5 mins from PA state line, and i can see jersey across the river, 10 mins by car. PA, NJ, and DE, all commute within each other, and this produces a lot of outter state marketing. The majority of the tags from PA in my part of DE have a reference to some sort of state sponsored or marketing site.

That aside, There are more Maryland, Jersey, and PA drivers on Delaware's stretch of I-95 than we have in total population.
This I did not know, and the plate makes sense now. Thank you for explaining that. :)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I always think about what I would do at any given time if a nuke went off near my area. Detroit and Chicago are both decent targets where I would live through the inital blast.
Perhaps I'm being racist, but I think the Detroit area is safe from nuclear attack. Mostly because I think nukes would come from the Middle East, and I just don't think they'd detonate anything that close to Dearborn and it's tremendous population of Middle Eastern people. I could be wrong though!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I have a closet with gear setup specifically to survive a long term zombie infestation.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Sylvus wrote:Perhaps I'm being racist, but I think the Detroit area is safe from nuclear attack. Mostly because I think nukes would come from the Middle East, and I just don't think they'd detonate anything that close to Dearborn and it's tremendous population of Middle Eastern people. I could be wrong though!
I'm thinking of an old school strike from Russia or China, not a terrorist attack. Cities with large amounts of industrialization would be prime targets in order to slow down our war machine before it ever gets a chance to ramp into full production. The large populations that would be killed would be secondray to the prime targets of industry and finance.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

You people are weird...

You know what I think about?

REALITY

But that's just me.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:I have a closet with gear setup specifically to survive a long term zombie infestation.
I can see where a ball gag could come in handy should a zombie outbreak occur.
en kærlighed småkager
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Sylvus wrote: I think nukes would come from the Middle East, and I just don't think they'd detonate anything that close to Dearborn and it's tremendous population of Middle Eastern people.
I don't think Middle Easterners have a problem with blowing up other Middle Easterners. It's like a hobby for them.