1Up Podcast Gone

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

1Up Podcast Gone

Post by Winnow »

What a shame. 1UP Yours was the first podcast I'd listen to on Monday Mornings, starting off a new week.

Cocksuckers!

http://kotaku.com/5125034/mass-firings- ... e#c9860477
Mass Firings At 1UP After Sale

Oh boy. Looks like the sale of 1UP to Hearst hasn't gone as smoothly as you'd expect. Rather than simply move house, it seems most of the site's most experienced/popular writers have instead been let go.

Looks like when Ziff CEO said "Many of our employees will travel with this business and become part of the UGO team", he actually meant "we're taking the interns and tea lady and that's about it".

According to twitter posts, GAF posts and phonecalls to MTV, around 30 staffers were let go today, including Skip Pfister, Ryan O'Donnell, Philip Kollar, Jay Fresh, Cesar Quintero, Nick Suttner, Anthony Gallegos, Matt Chandronait, Shane Bettenhausen and former EIC James Mielke.

Also cut were most of the Gamevideos.com team, as well as production of the 1UP Show.
Those guys were pretty entertaining and the best multiplatform gaming podcast out there.

I was wondering why the the usual Friday podcast wasn't available this week! This leaves a huge 90-120 minute void in my commute entertainment each week.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: 1Up Podcast Gone

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:This leaves a huge 90-120 minute void in my commute entertainment each week.
I don't even commute a total of 90 minutes in two weeks!

I have noticed several disappearing lately though. I just have to remember to go grab some new podcasts when I have time.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

That was fast...

Anthony Gallegos, Nick Suttner, Philip Kollar, Matt Chandronait, Ryan O’Donnell, and others:
Rebel.FM

I'm guessing Garnet will continue 1UP Yours, but it'll have to be with a whole new crew.

I guess I've ignored Giant Bomb podcast long enough.

RIP 1up
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

This sucks, they should have just closed down the company from everything I have read regarding useful vs useless people being fired. Also sucks that they closed down EGM the magazine. I had a subscription from the 3rd grade till I graduated HS to that magazine, and thought it's quality blew away all the other similar magazines.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Think of all the money made from podcasting... how could they have let people go!?!?
- Ash
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Ashur wrote:Think of all the money made from podcasting... how could they have let people go!?!?
I assume you're being sarcastic, but I don't get it. Podcasting was definitely a viable way to make money, with advertising. From the sounds of this situation, the company was so poorly mismanaged, they did not make money off their rather popular podcasts.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Guilty :(
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just for those that enjoy the show, the newest 1Up Podcast is out and it's a long, 3.5 hour one.
01/22/2009 | 1UP Yours - Podcast
After a tumultuous holiday break, 1UP Yours returns with a classic episode for the ages. It's the end of an era, and Luke Smith returns to sit down with John, Shane, Andrew, and Garnett for an epic finale packed with Whatcha Been Playin', NPDs, and lots of memories. Raise a glass with us!
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3149993

It's a good episode with Shane still there for one last podcast and they brought back Luke Smith for this episode as well. I don't know how the show will do moving forward but this is a good episode to check out. It kept me entertained for three commutes this week so far with a little more left!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

1UP yours/ListenUp podcast is gone. (again)

While it sucked to see some of the original members get laid off and there be a change in regulars on the show, it remained the best Podcast by far for Console/PC games. You could always rely on a solid 2 hours a week from these guys.

I haven't listened to the final podcast yet. I usually download the week's podcasts on Monday and 1UP records on Fridays.

It looks like Garnett Lee and some other hosts are moving on to competitors.

This was always the first podcast each week I'd listen to.

http://kotaku.com/5378439/in-an-end-of- ... t-farewell
In An "End Of An Era," Listen Up Podcast Bids Its Host Farewell

It may have been two years ago when a friend told me I needed to be listening to the main podcast on 1Up.com. Dirt was being spilled on it. In part because the wrong people weren't listening.

I've been behind on listening to what used to be called 1Up Yours and, more recently, Listen Up, ever since, trying to keep pace with a weekly release of audio talk about games that usually exceeded two hours.

I will be caught up soon, for an unfortunate reason: The podcast, as it has been structured for three years, is ending.

Today's Listen Up, recorded Thursday night, is the farewell episode for host, Garnett Lee, and regular guest, John Davison. Lee and Davison have started new jobs at outlets competitive with 1Up.

1Up editorial director Sam Kennedy, who described today's episode as "an end of an era," told me that, in some form, the podcast will go on, under the direction of show veteran David Ellis. "He has some fantastic ideas about the direction in which it should go next," Kennedy wrote in an e-mail to Kotaku. "We've also just upgraded 1Up's podcast studio with brand new equipment (ironically, which Garnett helped spec — he was only able to use it this once before leaving). So I'd say there are definitely some good things to look forward on the 1Up podcast front — in terms of a show to replace Listen Up but also some other things we have planned.

The podcast, which I will refer to as Listen Up for simplicity's sake, has been a fine experiment for a different way to cover video games. Critics might say it was nothing more than a two-hour open mic for rambling about new games and news. But even at its most lengthy, the show was great for unraveling secrets and good for rants.

While the published words of 1Up's writers may have been monitored by the gaming industry's press relations apparatus, the podcast was a good source to hear gaming reporters and reviewers talk recklessly unrestrained about what they were playing and hearing. They talked about new games that showed up in the office with the rhythm of friends at a bar — an effect aided by the constant presence of alcohol around the table where they recorded.

Their most notorious guests were the talkers, developer Denis Dyack on a warpath about the irresponsibility and potential libelous nature of gaming forums... developer Bill Roper requiring more than an hour to explain his then-unreleased game, Hellgate: London. I was a guest a couple of times, though for better or worse, I don't think my stints earned me any infamy.

The show regulars were the main attractions, a cast of characters who consistently had to say goodbye to their "fourth chair," the equivalent of the podcast drummer who never lasted long in the band. Today the first chair is gone as well.

This latest and possibly last episode is billed as an emotional farewell. I hear there are tears in it. As a podcast listener — one who has often turned them into posts here — I'll miss Garnett's version of the show. He's off to Shacknews. Davison is taking over GamePro.

For the faithful who want 1Up's flagship podcast to continue, Kennedy notes: "A podcast in the spirit of 1UP Yours and Listen Up will be coming shortly. And while it surely won't be the same without Garnett, it's an opportunity to bring in some new talent and change up the formula a bit. I always point to Saturday Night Live as an example: while in many peoples' minds no cast could ever quite compare to the original, it's a show that's reinvented itself so many times over the years. If it weren't for certain people moving on we would have never been introduced to others."

This last episode is over three hours. Of course. Find the 10/09/09 Listen Up on the site's official show page.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Hasn't been the same since well before the 1Upocolypse, but was still a really good news source. Too bad.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I've always liked the GiantBombcast better than 1Up. It's still sad to see them go. Again.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I've always liked the GiantBombcast better than 1Up. It's still sad to see them go. Again.

I listened to two episodes each of Giant Bombcast and RebelFM and I much prefer RebelFM.

GiantBomb, for two episodes was mostly noise and bullshit with no real value talk about games. They talked about worthless topics and went over release lists which they didn't discuss in depth. GiantBomb also has that super annoying guy that came over from Gamespot podcast. The 1UP (original crew and even after layoff crew) was able to bullshit but was also able to provide some good insights into the gaming industry and the games themselves. 4 hours later, I'm not seeing that with GiantBomb.

RebelFM on the other hand, another 2 hour type weekly podcast, had much less noise and dived right into discussing actual games played and the mechanics of the games etc.

Give RebelFM a try and you'll hear a lot more about actual games:

http://rebelfm.libsyn.com/

It's also available on iTunes like most podcasts.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Following up on this thread, Garnett Lee from 1UP podcast eventually ended up hosting the Podcast, "Weekend Confirmed"

If you want a very low signal to noise ratio with insightful commentary on indy games as well as the big budget releases, I suggest you give episode 30 a listen and see what you think.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66047

It's so much better than the nonsense you get on Giantbombcast.

Good stuff.