question about bicep training.

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

squidward
No Stars!
PSN ID: DenimshortZ

question about bicep training.

Post by squidward »

First off, lots of good info here,(been on Veeshan for years but I think this is the only forum I ever read) has been a big help, one question I have that I havent really seen answered here is, Im looking to have better definition/peak on biceps. Any exercises or training routines that anyone can recommend? I've tried varying exercises and havent been happy with my results.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: question about bicep training.

Post by Aslanna »

Hi!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

If your biceps aren't working out for you then you're not shocking them enough. Your biceps are complacent with the current routine. Strain them so the muscles tear. Lower reps, more weight, and probably most importantly, higher impact. 20G protein before workout and some carbs (fruit, pasta). 30-60G protein post-workout, depending on your goals and routine.

Shock!
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

You are all slacking and forgetting the true spirit of VV!

JACKASS!
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Maybe consider trying some pyramid-style exercises. This'll probably require devoting more time to the biceps, but that's probably inevitable anyway. Do whichever bicep exercises you prefer, starting at a weight that you can handle without too much trouble. Do as many reps as you can. Then up the weight and do as many reps as you can. Then repeat. Keep doing this until you're really struggling to do 3 or 4 reps. Then start lowering the weight back down, striving at each level to do as many reps as you did the first time through. Do this until you're back at the starting point.

Alternatively, try drop sets: Do a set at your normal weight, then immediately drop the weight and do another set, then immediately drop the weight and do another set. No rest between sets. Then rest awhile, go back up to the top, and repeat. The idea is that each individual set within the drop set should be done to failure.

Leo is basically right, you need to shock your biceps out of a rut. So switch up your routine, get some higher intensity going, and make them work in ways that they're not used to. I tend to think that massive protein consumption is overrated, but feel free to try it if you're into that sort of thing.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Start with the standard "meat and potatoes"-exercise for biceps, standing barbell curl.

First warmup 20 reps with light weight.

Then 10 reps with a moderate weight.

Then 8 reps with a weight you feel is heavy and can't do more than 8 with. (without proper form)

Then 6-4 reps with a very heavy weight.

Then stretch the biceps (stretch after each set but do a longer stretch after each exercise).

Then you do the same procedure on the next exercise of your choosing (sitting dumbbell curls, concentration curls, Arnold curls, Preacher curls etc).

After doing 3-4 different exercises for biceps (each having 3-4 sets) i usually finish it off with either concentration curls, preacher curls or arnold-curls to failure.

Preachers are easiest to begin with, just put on the weight and keep pushing and squeezing, muscle-contact!, and keep doing this until you can't lift your arms anymore that day.

-

Next time you train arms, you do a switch around to confuse the biceps and do a complete different routine, lifting 3 sets with 6 reps each with real heavy weights for example. Use completely different exercises etc.

Shock the muscle and never let it get accustomed to your treatment.

Lifting to failure has always worked for me to get Everestian Peaks.

It's either Concentration Curls to failure, Arnold curls to failure or Preacher curls to failure for me before i leave the gym.

And when you feel really crazy and really tired in the arms after doing a final death-defying set to failure and yer prepared to crawl through the door to leave the gym.... confuse the muscle even more and pick up a barbell with lightweights and keep repping to failure, till you can't feel the muscle anymore, till you feel ready to faint.....

Your arms WILL grow with epic peaks!

BOOM!

BAM!

Don't forget to watch this one!

Biceps with the Pros! Shawn Ray, Lenda Murray, Boyer Coe.

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/bba- ... ps_extreme
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Squidward

Also watch this video around 1 min 40 sec.

Ronnie tells you how to get a good peak on the biceps.

7 reps for the bottom half of the ROM, then 7 for the upper half, then 7 full reps.
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=PzsMGwXPEuk