insomnia?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

insomnia?

Post by Leonaerd »

This is the second night in a row I've gone sleepless. In the past two weeks I've maybe averaged four hours of sleep per night. At this point I probably have a huge sleep debt. I don't drink caffeine (often), I eat healthily, I exercise, I have regular cholesterol and blood pressure levels. I've been stressed, largely due to finals, my brother's health and financial bullshit. My thoughts are clouded when I close my eyes. I have an insatiable appetite. I eat 3-4 meals a day. If 2pm rolls around and I haven't had lunch yet, I will be so hungry that I can't focus on anything until I eat. If I don't get an adequate amount of calories in a day, I will lose significant muscle weight and be so hungry the next morning that I overeat. I take 1000 mg fish oil and a whole food multivitamin in the morning.

What else... I stopped smoking cigarettes altogether recently, though I never smoked regularly. I smoke the herb once in a while but that historically hasn't affected my sleep. I drink a couple beers during the week.

What's really odd is that I've taken two of my four finals for the semester and I felt like I did as well as I could have otherwise, even though I hadn't slept at all before either.

I just want to fucking sleep. I have a comfortable bed and thoroughly exert myself by the time I lay down at night, tired as ever. But I'll just stare at the ceiling as soon as I'm horizontal. I haven't fallen asleep within 20 minutes of laying down in weeks.

Help prz.
I'd hate Hillary just as much if it was a woman. ┌┘ Winnow
you pretentious fuckwits ┌┘ Nick
:roll: ┌┘ Miir
thoroughly groped┌┘ Xyun
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: insomnia?

Post by Psyloche »

Take some valerian root and get more exercise.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Overall I'd say it is the stress that is getting you. And now you are stressing over not getting enough sleep. Find a way to relax and get it out of your system. I used to stress over coding projects for class back in college so much that I'd dream about it. More than a few times I'd leap out of bed from a sound sleep and run to my computer to write a section of code for a project and then go back to bed sound asleep in moments of my head hitting the pillow. Used to piss my GF off when I'd do that.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i have a technique that works amazingly for me that I've used since I was little. your mileage may vary, but i don't know what I'd do without it sometimes

when i close my eyes or I'm in a dark room with my eyes open and focus on what I'm seeing.. I see subtle random colors and shapes rather than just black. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-eye_hallucination) I actually had never read about what they are until just now but I guess they're common..

usually when i cant sleep its because i'm too excited and can't stop thinking about shit. when I need to fall asleep all I do is focus on the lights when i close my eyes.. watch them do crazy shit and i'm out in literally 2-3 minutes. something about them just calms me down and knocks me the fuck out
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

cadalano wrote:when i close my eyes or I'm in a dark room with my eyes open and focus on what I'm seeing.. I see subtle random colors and shapes rather than just black. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-eye_hallucination) I actually had never read about what they are until just now but I guess they're common..

usually when i cant sleep its because i'm too excited and can't stop thinking about shit. when I need to fall asleep all I do is focus on the lights when i close my eyes.. watch them do crazy shit and i'm out in literally 2-3 minutes. something about them just calms me down and knocks me the fuck out
I do the same thing. It helped me a lot when I was working 18hr overnight shifts in the past, and I just kept using the habit. I have found that it works most of the time, but it worked less when I was actively stressing over something in particular.

After reading the wikipedia link, I often reach the Level 4. I have also reached Level 5 a couple times that I can remember. It was an odd sensation since I "knew" about everything going on around me, but it was like I was in REM sleep at the same time. I "woke" as refreshed as if I had slept all night.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Overall I'd say it is the stress that is getting you. And now you are stressing over not getting enough sleep. Find a way to relax and get it out of your system. I used to stress over coding projects for class back in college so much that I'd dream about it. More than a few times I'd leap out of bed from a sound sleep and run to my computer to write a section of code for a project and then go back to bed sound asleep in moments of my head hitting the pillow. Used to piss my GF off when I'd do that.
Funny you should say that! I coded minesweeper as a final project for a coding class (Python) I'm in. The error checking sucks and it's not as elegant as the real game, but I'm happy with it. :D

The indents get screwed up in the spoiler tag, unfortunately. VV doesn't allow .py uploads so I attached a word document of the code with correct indents for your copy / paste pleasure.
[Show]
class Minesweeper(object):
def __init__(self, row=5, col=5):
self.row = row
self.col = col
self.grid = [[],[],[],[],[]]
self.playergrid = [[],[],[],[],[]]

def makeGrid(self): #makes a list of lists with 5 randomly placed mines
# also makes player view list
L = []
M = []
N = []
P = []

count = 0
while count <5:
L.append('M')
count +=1
count = 0
while count < 20:
L.append(0)
count +=1
random.shuffle(L)
M.append(L[:5])
M.append(L[5:10])
M.append(L[10:15])
M.append(L[15:20])
M.append(L[20:25])
self.grid = M

count = 0
while count <=25:
N.append('H')
count += 1
P.append(N[:5])
P.append(N[5:10])
P.append(N[10:15])
P.append(N[15:20])
P.append(N[20:25])
self.playergrid = P

def printGrid(self): #turns list into grid
count = 1
for items in self.grid:
print 'row',count,':',
for item in items:
print item,
print
count +=1
print
print '..................'
print
count = 1
for items in self.playergrid:
print 'row',count,':',
for item in items:
print item,
print
count +=1

def placeCounts(self): #primary algorithm: initiates rows and columns
J = -1
I = -1
for item in self.grid:
I+=1
J=-1
for value in item:
J+=1
if self.grid[J] == 'M':
if I > 0:
if self.grid[I-1][J] != 'M':
self.grid[I-1][J] += 1
if I+1 < 5:
if self.grid[I+1][J] != 'M':
self.grid[I+1][J] += 1
if J != 0:
if self.grid[J-1] != 'M':
self.grid[J-1] += 1
if J != 4:
if self.grid[J+1] != 'M':
self.grid[J+1] += 1
if I != 0 and J != 0:
if self.grid[I-1][J-1] != 'M':
self.grid[I-1][J-1] += 1
if I != 4 and J != 4:
if self.grid[I+1][J+1] != 'M':
self.grid[I+1][J+1] += 1
if I != 4 and J != 0:
if self.grid[I+1][J-1] != 'M':
self.grid[I+1][J-1] += 1
if I != 0 and J != 4:
if self.grid[I-1][J+1] != 'M':
self.grid[I-1][J+1] += 1

def userInput(self): #user input and resulting changes

x = raw_input('enter position (1-5)... row: ')
x = int(x)
if not 1 <= x <= 5:
print 'incorrect input, try again...'
print
print
return
y = raw_input('enter position (1-5)... column: ')
y = int(y)
if not 1 <= y <= 5:
print 'incorrect input, try again...'
print
print
return
x -= 1
y -= 1
a = 0
b = 0

if self.playergrid[x][y] == 'H':
if self.grid[x][y] == 'M':
print 'mine! game over.'
return False
if self.grid[x][y] == 0:
self.playergrid[x][y] = self.grid[x][y]
if x > 0:
if 1 <= self.grid[x-1][y] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x-1][y] = self.grid[x-1][y]
if self.grid[x-1][y] == 0:
self.playergrid[x-1][y] = self.grid[x-1][y]
if x-1 > 0:
if 1 <= self.grid[x-2][y] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x-2][y] = self.grid[x-2][y]
if self.grid[x-2][y] == 0:
self.playergrid[x-2][y] = self.grid[x-2][y]
if x-2 > 0:
if 1 <= self.grid[x-3][y] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x-3][y] = self.grid[x-3][y]
if self.grid[x-3][y] == 0:
self.playergrid[x-3][y] = self.grid[x-3][y]
if x-3 > 0:
if 1 <= self.grid[x-4][y] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x-4][y] = self.grid[x-4][y]
if self.grid[x-4][y] == 0:
self.playergrid[x-4][y] = self.grid[x-4][y]
if x < 4:
if 1 <= self.grid[x+1][y] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x+1][y] = self.grid[x+1][y]
if self.grid[x+1][y] == 0:
self.playergrid[x+1][y] = self.grid[x+1][y]
if x+1 < 4:
if 1 <= self.grid[x+2][y] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x+2][y] = self.grid[x+2][y]
if self.grid[x+2][y] == 0:
self.playergrid[x+2][y] = self.grid[x+2][y]
if x+2 < 4:
if 1 <= self.grid[x+3][y] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x+3][y] = self.grid[x+3][y]
if self.grid[x+3][y] == 0:
self.playergrid[x+3][y] = self.grid[x+3][y]
if x+2 < 4:
if 1 <= self.grid[x+4][y] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x+4][y] = self.grid[x+4][y]
if self.grid[x+4][y] == 0:
self.playergrid[x+4][y] = self.grid[x+4][y]
if y > 0:
if 1 <= self.grid[x][y-1] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x][y-1] = self.grid[x][y-1]
if self.grid[x][y-1] == 0:
self.playergrid[x][y-1] = self.grid[x][y-1]
if y-1 > 0:
if 1 <= self.grid[x][y-2] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x][y-2] = self.grid[x][y-2]
if self.grid[x][y-2] == 0:
self.playergrid[x][y-2] = self.grid[x][y-2]
if y - 2 > 0:
if 1 <= self.grid[x][y-3] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x][y-3] = self.grid[x][y-3]
if self.grid[x][y-3] == 0:
self.playergrid[x][y-3] = self.grid[x][y-3]
if y - 3 > 0:
if 1 <= self.grid[x][y-4] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x][y-4] = self.grid[x][y-4]
if self.grid[x][y-4] == 0:
self.playergrid[x][y-4] = self.grid[x][y-4]
if y < 4:
if 1 <= self.grid[x][y+1] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x][y+1] = self.grid[x][y+1]
if self.grid[x][y+1] == 0:
self.playergrid[x][y+1] = self.grid[x][y+1]
if y+1 < 4:
if 1 <= self.grid[x][y+2] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x][y+2] = self.grid[x][y+2]
if self.grid[x][y+2] == 0:
self.playergrid[x][y+2] = self.grid[x][y+2]
if y+2 < 4:
if 1 <= self.grid[x][y+3] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x][y+3] = self.grid[x][y+3]
if self.grid[x][y+3] == 0:
self.playergrid[x][y+3] = self.grid[x][y+3]
if y+3 < 4:
if 1<= self.grid[x][y+4] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x][y+4] = self.grid[x][y+4]
if self.grid[x][y+4] == 0:
self.playergrid[x][y+4] = self.grid[x][y+4]

if 1 <= self.grid[x][y] <= 5:
self.playergrid[x][y] = self.grid[x][y]

D = []
for items in self.playergrid:
for item in items:
if 0<=item<=9:
D.append(item)
if len(D) == 20:
print 'you win!'
return False

#def isWinner():

def play():
inst1 = Minesweeper(5,5)
inst1.makeGrid()
inst1.placeCounts()
#inst1.printGrid()
while True:
inst1.printGrid()
if inst1.userInput()== False:
return

play()

I haven't slept since yesterday night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'd hate Hillary just as much if it was a woman. ┌┘ Winnow
you pretentious fuckwits ┌┘ Nick
:roll: ┌┘ Miir
thoroughly groped┌┘ Xyun
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

A good long walk will not only help you clear your head but will get you some exercise. When I don't exercise semi-regularly I have problems sleeping.

I've also found that laying down and listening to some kind of non-excitable TV makes me fall asleep. Golf, old movies, or even just light classical music. When I get to a certain point with insomnia, sleep becomes near impossible unless I work really hard at getting myself in a relaxed state, distracting myself from stressing thoughts, even the stress of not being able to sleep! It can snowball out of control.

Another thing that helps me is candle light, although I wouldn't recommend falling asleep with candles lit unless you have someone there to blow them out after you fall asleep.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I have problems like this when I'm having depression bouts.

The "heard em all before" remedies are:
small glass of milk before bed (not immediately before getting in bed, obviously)
cup of chamomille tea before bed
some other shit I can't think of right now

The best answer:
Something that helps, and is just generally good for your health. Find a way to seperate your activity and your rest. If you're studying right up until the time you go to sleep, your mind is still racing about what you were studying (or stressing over). You need to make some quiet time to shut your brain up before you lay down. Whether that be with some mellow music, reading, meditation, whatthefuckever...just find some way to shut it up. (It's easier said than done for some people, sometimes I want to hit my brain with a hammer...some people have no trouble at all)

The slightly weird answer:
Jerk off.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Stay away from sleeping pills. Ths is a natural cycle, so stick to natural solutions. Orgasams generally do it for me. Even if it doesn't make me sleepy, it almost always knocks the edge off, which is half the battle with insomnia. Oddly, if I am really sleepy, orgasams will often wake me up. I'm a big fan of "waking up sex" for this very reason. It really is the perfect fix!

On a side note, I dated a woman who would wake up and get ready for work almost an hour before I had to get up to go to my job. After she was showered and dressed, she would come in to wake me up so I could get ready for work. She gave me blowjobs every morning for record stretches. I'm talking weeks and weeks at a time, and she never missed a day. It was fucking awesome! I would get off and she would rush out the door to get to work on time.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

On a side note, I dated a woman who would wake up and get ready for work almost an hour before I had to get up to go to my job. After she was showered and dressed, she would come in to wake me up so I could get ready for work. She gave me blowjobs every morning for record stretches. I'm talking weeks and weeks at a time, and she never missed a day. It was fucking awesome! I would get off and she would rush out the door to get to work on time.
Duuuuuuuuude.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

My friend who has realy, really bad migraines has a bunch of rituals he does when he feels one coming on in order to stop them from reaching peak magnitude. He does everything from cold showers to black coffee. He told me that jerking off is a solution he has tried, but sometimes it can have the opposite effect and make his already unbearable migraines even worse so he abandoned that method.

Just thought I would contribute that :P
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Currently laying in bed with my eyes closed, opening them for big blinds only. I've never gone this long without sleep in my life. Everything is really... peripheral.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Leonaerd wrote:
Duuuuuuuuude.
I'll talk more about that since this thread has awakend some memories I haven't thought about in a long time.

It was great because she worked at WMU and always dressed extremely well. When she came into the bedroom to wake me, she was perfect from head to toe. The oddness of it all is that I would kind of take my time, leaving her to be late for work almost every day. Not by a lot, but 10-15 minutes. Anyway, after I was done, she would up and bolt out of the apartment to go to work. So, here I am in post orgasam bliss, eyes closed, heart pounding, and dick still wet, and she would be out the door before I could say "thanks, see you tonight". It was a very weird feeling, but in hindsight kind of summed up that whole, short relationship.

I ate her out every day when I came home, so we had a nice system going for sure. She turned that into quite the little game at times, especially when she had to work late and I beat her home...

Ah, good times. Good times.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Yeah, definately stay awake from sleeping pills. They become a habit REAL easy.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Truant wrote:Yeah, definately stay awake from sleeping pills. They become a habit REAL easy.

I couldn't stop myself from laughing at the typo :)
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

I've had trouble falling asleep since I was a kid. I take melatonin regularly (6mg every night), and it seems to help. I tried to back off and go to 3mg every night, but it just wasn't doing it for me. It doesn't work for everyone though, from what I've heard.

Also, the bedroom is just for sleeping. Read or watch TV somewhere else.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Fine an old college textbook. Start reading. If you have a bedside lamp this works best. Sometimes I would begin reading, and within minutes my eyes would glaze over and my lids would be falling. Then I'd get up to turn the light off, and by the time I'm back in bed, totally awake. So, a bedside lamp helps mitigate that.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Boogahz wrote:
Truant wrote:Yeah, definately stay awake from sleeping pills. They become a habit REAL easy.

I couldn't stop myself from laughing at the typo :)
Hah, that was a good slip!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I slept for a while, got some rem cycles in. Of course now my body's confused and weary. I'll probably crash tonight for at least 10 hours and not set an alarm. I'm glad I don't have another final until Friday.

Near the end of my awakeness, I was so shaky, stressed and anxious that I felt like I would never sleep again. My heart was fluttering angrily at me, too. I know what you guys are talking about with the lights behind the eye thing and I'll definitely try that tonight, now that it's dark. I'm curious about valerian roots, as was mentioned. Aren't those in Oblivion?

I would only take sleeping pills if I was fresh out of addictions and yearning for a way to spend a lot of money while ruining my liver.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not sure I'd classify it as insomnia but I injured by neck about 2 months ago. It took awhile for it to improve but I'm back to about 85% mobility at the moment. However ever since then I'm unable to sleep for any long continuous period of time. I don't really have a problem falling asleep but I'll wake up a few hours later, fall back asleep, and then repeat. Which really sucks because I'm not getting the deep sleep I need. The only time I didn't have that problem was when I was on vicodin and valium but that was only for about a week. omg help!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--