09 NFL Discussion Thread

What do you think about the sports world?
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: 09 NFL Discussion Thread

Post by Kluden »

I am so sick of hearing the cry babies about this supposed "Philly was trying to hurt Warner" bull shit.

Every true football fan knows, if you run 1 out of 4 plays and its a screen, and you let 5 guys go with the speed the philly guys have, guess what, that means they have ONE step to stop before pulverizing your QB...you're fucken playcall, you fucken accept putting Warner in the line of fire that often...and then thank the stars he made it through the game. God Damn Crybabies.

God damn you, I don't even like Philly, and you made me defend them.

I pray to Christ the cardinals are fucken dumb enough to run that many screens against the Steelers...the only problem is, Whisenhunt is not dumb. If the cardinals do run 5+ screens in the first half, and Warner goes out with a broken leg, will that be the reason you lost the super bowl, or will the reason be the play calling that put him in the line of fire?

Also, never underestimate the 2 weeks before the super bowl, and how it ruins momentum. Like how Arizona's resident T.O. (Boldin, that is) is crying on the sidelines, and whining to the coaches...and how the press will latch on to that and ask, and ask, and ask, and ask until someone breaks down in front and to the media about how Boldin is just T.O. in a different mask. Cancer spreads quick through disorganized teams.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Kluden wrote:Also, never underestimate the 2 weeks before the super bowl, and how it ruins momentum. Like how Arizona's resident T.O. (Boldin, that is) is crying on the sidelines, and whining to the coaches...and how the press will latch on to that and ask, and ask, and ask, and ask until someone breaks down in front and to the media about how Boldin is just T.O. in a different mask. Cancer spreads quick through disorganized teams.
This is absolutely true and could be the biggest factor in the game. Looking at Ward's play down the stretch, I think he is still pretty banged up, so this game could come down to the Cards rushing vs Big Ben's arm. That will make for an interesting game as it will probably come down to who gets impatient and makes the first mistake, which is more likely to be the Cards. Pitt is a much more disciplined team, thanks to years of living under the tyranical reign of Cower. The Cards need to keep their edge if they want to have a shot at this game, which is hard to do in the two week media circus leading up to the big game. The one thing in their favor is that all the Obama hoopla this week will take away a lot of the attention and pressure, but come Thursday the sideshow will being in earnest and only Warner and James have any real experience with that.

Winnow mastabatory fantasies aside, I do think that a 6.5 point spread is a bit extreme, given Pitts record of slow grind out low scoring games. I think 17-14 Pitt over Az is the likely outcome, mostly because neither team will be playing desperation tactics. The way I see this going down is Az marching up the field on the first drive and scoring, then adding another score before the half, then Pitt scoring 17 unanswered points after they make the nessecary adjustments.
Last edited by Jice Virago on January 20, 2009, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I can see a higher scoring game. I would have to say somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-28. One other big factor in this game....it is an east coast game and is going to be basically a home game for Pitt. In case you forgot the last SB, it will be packed with Steeler fans.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I doubt Obama will keep the media off that Boldin deal (i think it's a non-issue. He is obviously a team player to me). Regardless, not even two hours after the inauguration I hear Jim Rome interviewing Fitzy. Fitz, who has shattered the post-season receiving record and looking like possibly the best receiver in the league, had to answer several questions insinuating that Boldin was messing with the locker room. From Jim Rome too. He generally kisses his guests asses for a whole segment and then wastes the next one talking about what an "awesome" interview that was.

Sports guys don't give a shit about politics, except that Obama said he wanted a college playoff.

Steelers win (though I don't want them to) 21-13
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

You are right about Rome. I still dig his radio show for the most part.

Hmmm, everyone keeps saying the cardinals have little or no shot....just like every other playoff game they have been in this postseason.

I am seeing a coin flip at the expiration of 60 minutes.

27-24 (OT) Steelers

Either way, it will be a good game--certainly better than watching a bass fishing show.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:I am so sick of hearing the cry babies about this supposed "Philly was trying to hurt Warner" bull shit.

Every true football fan knows, if you run 1 out of 4 plays and its a screen, and you let 5 guys go with the speed the philly guys have, guess what, that means they have ONE step to stop before pulverizing your QB...
I understand that. That's not the issue. Unfortunately you can't hear the whistle in the video linked but the hit on Warner was way after the play was called dead. It wasn't a one step/hit situation. Warner was walking and the play blown dead when the thug/Eagle knocked him on his ass. Not the same thing as a one step hit.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

If it was the Cards hitting McNabb, Winnow would have called it a hustle play.

Why are we even playing the Super Bowl. Winnow has already decreed the Cards champs, which means even if they lose, they will still be the champs in his mind, just ask him about the "5 Time NBA Champs" The Phoenix Suns.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I agree with Kilmoll in that this game will be decided by what the Cards can do in the first half: I've seen the Steelers make better half-time adjustments than their opponents so far in these playoffs and we also saw it how the Eagles charged back against the Cards on Sunday in the second half.

I also think there is an organizational mindset that came through in the post game celebrations last Sunday: Arizona was in full party mode and celebrating (the stadium PA was playing "We Are the Champions" FFS... I know thats a DJ in the booth, and possibly someone in the front office OK'ing it and not the players but still...) in contrast Pittsburgh was happy to win but there was a sense of "OK we won, thats cool but we're not done yet". Wisenhunt and some of the staff may have been there in other roles but the bulk of the organization hasn't been and no one knows how they will handle it (history shows, across any number of sports, that a team thats never been suffers a disadvantage in not knowing how to deal with a championship level of pressure compared to one that has).

I also think people are underestimating the Steelers D: they're not a recently gelled incarnation but a consistently high performance unit. I think the score the last couple weeks flattered their opponents when you consider the Baltimore scores came off big special teams plays and that San Diego added some "respectability points" after the Steelers had pretty much put it out of reach.

When I break it down Winnow style:

Offense - Cards by hair - Cards passing game is better, Steelers rushing game is better
Defense - Steelers by a healthy margin
Special teams - even
Coaching - even - I'm not taking anything away from either coach
Intangibles - as said above, I think the Cards big win was last Sunday and Cinderella has left the ball. Steelers experience and workman-like attitude will win out big. This ain't the hungry Giants and over confidant 17-0 Pats of last year.

Steelers 27 Cards 14 and my fiance will be happy thus I will be too :p
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

The spread is definitely too high at 6.5. I'm sure it will align itself properly by game time...something like 3.5 or 4.

I expect to see the Steelers run that bunch set from the game against the chargers again, along with the cards running a lot of no tight end, double backs lineups to try and spread out the defense wide outs. Out of the D's, I imagine for Pittsburgh you will see a lot of what Philly did in the second half, along with the cards doing a ton of zone blitzes from their "hybrid" defensive lineups.

On the late hits, I must not have seen that ONE play you are speaking of Winnow, your original post (along with others posts, and the media) made it sound like there were several...and I saw a lot of hits on Warner, but none I remember being "cheap shots", but could easily see why you would feel that way since your QB was getting dumped a lot. Whisenhunt and your OC saved him a lot of aggravation by setting up a beautiful 8 yard route offense that allowed him to get rid of the ball fast enough, throughout the game. I will be utterly amazed if they do not run those same short up routes against the steelers.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wulfran wrote:I agree with Kilmoll in that this game will be decided by what the Cards can do in the first half: I've seen the Steelers make better half-time adjustments than their opponents so far in these playoffs and we also saw it how the Eagles charged back against the Cards on Sunday in the second half.
You do realize that the Cardinals were the #1 team for points scored in the third quarter this season right? By far.

That's after the halftime adjustments by both teams. The Cardinals do let teams back into games but Im not sure how you can say the Steelers make better halftime adjustments when the Cardinals were #1 in scoring in the third quarter.

I'd call that part even.

I don't think most of you are giving Whisenhunt enough credit for having been in Pittsburgh for six years and having been the QB coach for Big Ben. I think that's a huge advantage or at least in Arizona's favor.

It's not the same old Cardinals this year.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d55_bDKGJmU

Crappy quality. But seems like a pretty cheap (and rather late) shot to me.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You are forgetting one incredibly important thing......The Winnow Curse.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

The only hit that I saw that was a 'going after Warner' play was the stupid hit by Demps, he is the Eagles 4th(out of 4) safety. It was fucking stupid, im sure he was trying to 'rattle' Warner or something but that was seriously lame and cost the Eagles 15 yards while amping the Cards a little more. Other then that, I do not recal anything to the effect that the Eagles were trying to hurt Warner, or hitting him late all the time.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Trek wrote:Other then that, I do not recal anything to the effect that the Eagles were trying to hurt Warner, or hitting him late all the time.

It only takes one cheap shot. That one was as blatant as they come.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Antionio Smith body slamming Westbrook on a play. That was cheap, but Westbrook threw a punch afterward and should have been called for the personal. At least the body slam was during a play when people were prepared to take hits and not getting ambushed after whistle blown to collect on bounty.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Come on dipshit, if the Eagle defense was out to get Warner he would be in the hospital. Cant fucking have any kind of conversation here. yes I agree that idiot took a shot at him. Fuck, it was stupid ok I get it. Your totally correct, he was collecting a bounty and Ried was totally amped at the play and its the reason why he is going to stay coach in Philly.

Wish I could put you on ignore, that function was great
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Trek wrote:Come on dipshit, if the Eagle defense was out to get Warner he would be in the hospital. Cant fucking have any kind of conversation here. yes I agree that idiot took a shot at him. Fuck, it was stupid ok I get it. Your totally correct, he was collecting a bounty and Ried was totally amped at the play and its the reason why he is going to stay coach in Philly.

Wish I could put you on ignore, that function was great

You get too flustered dude. It was a man raping. The debate turned into someone trying to say it was a one step and hit after Warner released on a screen. Watch the video...no seriously...watch it again. That's not a one step and hit...it's a few seconds after play is over and whistle blown, with change of direction by defender.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

The Cardinals won the game! They're going to Tampa! Quit your bitching!
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I am so sick of hearing the cry babies about this supposed "Philly was trying to hurt Warner" bull shit.

Every true football fan knows, if you run 1 out of 4 plays and its a screen, and you let 5 guys go with the speed the philly guys have, guess what, that means they have ONE step to stop before pulverizing your QB...you're fucken playcall, you fucken accept putting Warner in the line of fire that often...and then thank the stars he made it through the game. God Damn Crybabies.

That video posted doesnt fall into that category at all. Nice try though! I think people have a valid complaint.

(Note I'm not really a sports fan and don't care much for either of those teams.)
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Winnow wrote:
Wulfran wrote:I agree with Kilmoll in that this game will be decided by what the Cards can do in the first half: I've seen the Steelers make better half-time adjustments than their opponents so far in these playoffs and we also saw it how the Eagles charged back against the Cards on Sunday in the second half.
You do realize that the Cardinals were the #1 team for points scored in the third quarter this season right? By far.

That's after the halftime adjustments by both teams. The Cardinals do let teams back into games but Im not sure how you can say the Steelers make better halftime adjustments when the Cardinals were #1 in scoring in the third quarter.

I'd call that part even.

I don't think most of you are giving Whisenhunt enough credit for having been in Pittsburgh for six years and having been the QB coach for Big Ben. I think that's a huge advantage or at least in Arizona's favor.

It's not the same old Cardinals this year.
And the Steelers gave up by far the least 3rd Quarter points of any team in the NFL (a grand total of 27 I believe). The Steelers didn't let teams back into their playoff games (its that consistency thing again).

As for the Whisenhunt connection to Roethlisberger, sure he has a good idea how Ben will react in certain situations but he still has to try and create those situations he wants... against an offensive coordinator whose head he doesn't know as well. In fact using Winnow logic the edge should reside with the Steelers because they helped mold and create Whisenhunt into the coach he is and there's gonna be a whole bunch of people on their sidelines who know how he's liable to react in certain circumstances, his tendancies to gamble or play conservative. Honestly I don't see it much different in a lot of way than the AFC final which was the 3rd time this season the Ravens and the Steelers met: they know what to expect from each other in most ways, its a question of reactions and making plays. Thats why I call it even.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Winnow favors the Cards, therefore fortune favors the Steelers.
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ashur wrote:Winnow favors the Cards, therefore fortune favors the Steelers.
How'd that work out for Atlanta, Carolina and Philly!?

fantasy stats: AP > LT2

Detroit: 0-16

The curse has been lifted!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I think you're forgetting that you were not spamming about the Cardinals until now, which is going to doom them to lose the Super Bowl.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I see Pittsburgh rolling over the Cardinals. Down 21 at half, the Cardinals will fold and be remembered as the biggest losers in Super Bowl history.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

lol.

All I know is that it's going to be here in Tampa and there's gonna be all sorts of parties and celebrities and great shit happening, and I'm going to be cooped up in my condo with no job and no money watching it on TV like the rest of you losers.

:(
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

get a job hippie!
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Get a Steeler's shirt and find a bar packed with their fans. Tell them you just got fired from your job because your boss was a Raven's fan and that you can't afford a beer. You will drink all night for free.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Get a Steeler's shirt and find a bar packed with their fans. Tell them you just got fired from your job because your boss was a Raven's fan and that you can't afford a beer. You will drink all night for free.
Probably easier to just tell them you love Ben and Pabst. First step to becoming a yinzer.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

My "late hit" comments were directed at the entirety of the game. Your video shows one. And it was penalized. The complaints I've heard were the "whole game" aspect from people...like they had a bounty on warner, which is just not cool...which I disagree that the eagles did. That's all I was pointing out. Never was saying that the one late hit didn't happen...hence it was penalized...because it was obviously late...how could I argue against that? Defintiely not defending that one play...one play does not equal a bounty either though.

Damnit again...I'm not even a philly fan, and hate sticking up for them.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's someone's break down by position of the Cardinals vs Steelers:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... index.html
Breaking down Super Bowl XLIII between the Arizona Cardinals and the Pittsburgh Steelers...

Quarterback

Kurt Warner was sensational during the regular season, directing the Cardinals' high-powered offense, and his stellar play has continued in the postseason. The former Super Bowl MVP has completed more than 66 percent of his passes for 770 yards with eight touchdowns and only two interceptions. His quick release and accurate touch have effectively deterred the heavy blitz-pressure tactics used to disrupt Arizona's quick-rhythm attack. With Warner displaying the form from his league MVP days, the Cardinals have averaged nearly 32 points per game during the postseason.

Ben Roethlisberger is an outstanding playmaker who has a knack for delivering at big moments. Though the fifth-year pro hasn't put up big numbers (33-of-59 for 436 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions), he has keyed the Steelers' offensive attack with his improvisational plays in the pocket.

Advantage: Cardinals

Running Backs

Don't be fooled by Willie Parker's pedestrian effort against the Ravens (24 carries for 47 yards). The former Pro Bowl pick is finally healthy and displaying the explosiveness that resulted in three straight seasons with more than 1,200 rushing yards. Mewelde Moore doesn't receive many touches as the team's third-down back but showed that he was capable of carrying the load when Parker was forced to the sideline with an injury.

After sitting on the sidelines for a seven-game stint during the regular season, Edgerrin James has thrived since being re-inserted into the Cardinals starting lineup. The veteran runner has rushed for 303 yards in the team's last four games and steadied the Cardinals' offense with his workman-like running style. Tim Hightower has been a key contributor as the team's short-yardage specialist. The rookie has repeatedly converted critical third- and fourth-down situations during the surprising postseason run.

Advantage: Steelers

Wide Receivers

The Cardinals' unstoppable trio features two Pro Bowl wideouts (Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin) and an emerging big-play threat (Steve Breaston). Fitzgerald has been a force throughout the playoffs with three 100-yard games and five receiving touchdowns. Boldin, who missed the Cardinals' divisional round matchup with the Panthers, returned to haul in four passes for 34 yards on Sunday. The sixth-year pro is a monster with the ball in his hands, and the Cardinals find a way to get it into the hands of their most versatile player on a variety of underneath routes. Breaston has been pretty quiet during the postseason, but tallied three 100-yard receiving games during the regular season as the team's third option in the passing game.

Hines Ward is the team's top target, but he missed the majority of the Ravens' game with an injury. If he is unable to play, the success of the Steelers' passing game will rest squarely on the shoulders of Santonio Holmes. The third-year pro has emerged as a big-time playmaker this season and solidified that reputation with his performance during the playoffs. Holmes has produced game-breaking plays in successive weeks while leading the Steelers into the Super Bowl. Heath Miller has become a Roethlisberger's favorite target in critical situations. Though he only has six receptions during the postseason, Miller has been pivotal to the Steelers' red zone and third-down success. Nate Washington has been relatively quiet during the postseason, but averaged nearly 16 yards a catch during the regular season.

Offensive Line

The Cardinals' offensive line has been outstanding during the postseason, helping the team rediscover it rushing attack while only yielding three sacks in the three-game playoff run. Mike Gandy and Levi Brown have stuffed top pass rushers (John Abraham, Julius Peppers and Darren Howard) in successive weeks, and have given Warner plenty of time to attack down the field.

The Steelers' offensive line has performed better during the playoffs but still allows too many hits on Roethlisberger in the pocket. The unit has surrendered five sacks in two postseason games, and if not for Roethlisberger's outstanding athleticism, the group would have allowed several more takedowns during the playoffs. While Parker rushed for more than 100 yards during the team's playoff win against the Chargers, he was held to under two yards per carry against the Ravens in the championship game.

Defensive Line

The Steelers' top-ranked defense is anchored by their stout defensive line, featuring Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith. The trio has helped the Steelers hold opponents to only 80.1 rushing yards a game and freed up the Steelers' explosive outside rushers by effectively anchoring the interior of the defense.

The Cardinals' defensive line is spearheaded by Pro Bowl pick Darnell Dockett. The fifth-year pro dominates the line of scrimmage at the point of attack against the run and showcases surprising pass rush skills for an interior player. Though he finished the season with only four sacks, Dockett's ability to command a double team allows Antonio Smith to wreak havoc against one-on-one matchups. The Cardinals' dramatically improved defense has been keyed by the play of their underrated defensive line.

Linebackers

The Steelers have arguably the best set of linebackers in the league, led by James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley. The duo has collected 32.5 sacks on the season while taking turns pummeling quarterbacks off the edges. James Farrior and Larry Foote specialize in gobbling up runners on the inside but are also effective rushers in the team's zone blitz scheme. Although Lawrence Timmons plays primarily as a situational player, he has tallied five sacks and an interception on the season.

Karlos Dansby is emerging as one of the league's top playmakers at the linebacker position. The Cardinals' leading tackler not only shows a knack for producing negative plays (he finished the regular season with four sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries), but also as a big hitter who teams with Gerald Hayes to solidify the middle of the defense. Although Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor haven't produced high sack totals, they are capable of generating enough pressure to collapse the pocket.

Defensive Backs

Troy Polamalu delivers big hits and has developed into one of the game's top ballhawks. Ike Taylor has been solid in coverage all season, and teams with DeShea Townsend and Bryant McFadden to blanket receivers on the perimeter. Though the team's exceptional pass rush forces balls to come out quickly, the Steelers' secondary has repeatedly stepped up when challenged.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie has emerged as the team's top cover man in his first season. The rookie has won matchups against Pro Bowlers Roddy White and Steve Smith during the postseason and possesses an uncanny ability to get his hands on the ball. Adrian Wilson and Antrel Rolle are versatile defenders with a penchant for producing game-changing turnovers in the backend.

Special Teams

The Cardinals' special teams units have been solid throughout the playoffs, led by Pro Bowler Sean Morey. Though they have had many opportunities to cover, they have kept a series of explosive returners in check (DeSean Jackson, Mark Jones and Henry Douglas) and not allowed the big return in either phase. Neil Rackers has been inconsistent throughout the postseason (five-of-seven attempts), but connected on 89.3 percent of his field goals during the regular season.

While Santonio Holmes has been outstanding during the postseason as a punt returner, the Steelers' special teams has been plagued by miscues during the playoffs. Mitch Berger has been inconsistent as a punter (33.4 net avg.) and the coverage units have allowed big returns on punts and kickoffs in consecutive game. Jeff Reed has been perfect during the playoffs (3-f-for-3), and connected on more than 87 percent of his attempts during the season.

Coaching

Mike Tomlin has guided the Steelers to the Super Bowl on the strength of a dominant defense and opportunistic offense. While a lot of the credit goes to Dick LeBeau for his innovative zone-blitz scheme, Tomlin's imprint is all over the coverage that accompanies the blitz pressures. The team has used more single-high safety zone looks this season. The increased variety in coverage has made the Steelers' zone blitz scheme more difficult to attack. With two weeks to prepare for the Cardinals' high-octane attack, the Steelers will concoct a few new wrinkles for Warner and Co.

Ken Whisenhunt has turned the Cardinals into a title contender in only two years. Led by Warner, the Cardinals put up points at an alarming rate. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley deserves credit for tweaking his game plan to feature more crossing routes with Larry Fitzgerald working underneath coverage. Clancy Pendergast's defensive game plans have successfully confused three playoff opponents and helped the team enjoy a significant takeaway advantage during the postseason. With Whisenhunt possessing intimate knowledge of the Steelers' defense, the Cardinals will have a significant advantage preparing a game plan.

Advantage: Push

How Arizona Will Win

The Cardinals offense is capable of putting up big numbers on any defense because of their passing game. Kurt Warner is making defenses pay when they choose to blitz, and Fitzgerald is terrorizing opponents with his big-play ability. With James and Hightower providing enough balance to force some eight-man looks, the Steelers will have a tough time committing double coverage to Fitzgerald and Boldin on the edges. Also, the Cardinals' vastly improved defense is snuffing out the run and forcing turnovers. With the offense getting more possessions on a short field, the Cardinals can turn any game into a shootout.

How Pittsburgh Will Win

The Steelers' defense has the ability to put enormous pressure on Warner with Harrison and Woodley crashing off the edges. The duo has feasted on pass-happy attacks, and they will keep Warner from establishing a rhythm in the pocket. In addition, they will defend the Cardinals' running game with only seven defenders, so that they can maintain double coverage on Fitzgerald and Boldin on the outside. Their ability to stop the run early in the game will force Warner to abandon the play-action passing game. With Warner forced to pass from a one-dimensional game plan, the Steelers will generate a number of turnovers as the pressure forces the two-time league MVP into a handful of mistakes.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Here are some odd but fun facts. 30 years ago, the Steelers played the 9-7 Rams for a Super Bowl. the Steelers record that year.....12-4. The year previous, the Steelers played the Rams in Los Angeles...and lost by one score. the AFC East and West standings had in order: Miami, New England, New york, Buffalo San Diego, Denver, Oakland, KC. The Rams won their division by scoring 14 points more than they gave up.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

My official choice to win the Superbowl this year are the Cardinals. I have no numbers or facts or even a good idea to back up my decision. I just want it to be so. All I am really hoping for is a great game (high scoring battle) and some great commercials.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I am hoping for a good midwest defensive curb stomping with the Cards crying at the end from lack of a win and from being manhandled down the field.
- Ash
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Get a Steeler's shirt and find a bar packed with their fans. Tell them you just got fired from your job because your boss was a Raven's fan and that you can't afford a beer. You will drink all night for free.
Ahh yes, you will enjoy all the good ol' favorites of Steeler fans. A tall cold Keystone, or maybe a can of Mt. Dew mixed with some Old Grandads whiskey. Just don't forget to bring a can of dip, and a generous portion of self satisfaction, and you're in.
Fuck Michigan!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The only true thing I hold against the Cardinals winning is Winnow. If he was not such a sports toolbag, I would not be horribly crushed if they won. It is the bad karma from people like him that keep franchises like Arizona and the Bengals from winning a SB.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Bring back Neil O'Donnel 09! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:The only true thing I hold against the Cardinals winning is Winnow. If he was not such a sports toolbag, I would not be horribly crushed if they won. It is the bad karma from people like him that keep franchises like Arizona and the Bengals from winning a SB.
I feel the same way. I vehemently hate Steeler fans as for the most part they are complete fags during gamedays around here. That having been said, I'd still rather have them win than the Cardinals because of Winnow.
Fuck Michigan!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

too funny : )

You should never let someone sway your opinions of a team because you don't like the person. Would you give up eating ice cream if I started pumping it in the food forum?

I predict: Steelers by 20!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I dunno Winnow...I am still pretty irked at you for derailing Ryan Torrain's rookie season! :P

And yeah, Steelers fans are totally gay!
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Barack Obama is rooting for the Steelers.
THE PRESIDENT: I have to say, you know, I wish the Cardinals the best. Kurt Warner is a great story and he's closer to my age than anybody else on the field, but I am a long-time Steelers fan. Mr. Rooney, the owner, was just an extraordinary supporter during the course of the campaign. Franco Harris was campaigning for me in Pittsburgh. So --

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Coach signed up with you, too.

THE PRESIDENT: Right, Coach Tomlin was a supporter. So I -- you know, I wish the best to the Cardinals. They've been long-suffering; it's a great Cinderella story. But other than the Bears, the Steelers are probably the team that's closest to my heart.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Turnovers the last three games the Cardinals have played: (The Playoffs)

Opponent: 9
Cardinals: 0 (1 defensive)

Better offensive lines than the Steelers the Cardinals have faced on the playoffs: 3

Better running games the Cardinals have faced in the playoffs than the Steelers: 3 (ok Philly sucks but they were supposed to have good running game)

Steelers by 20
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Steelers fan, eh? Well, I guess President Obama is also the first openly gay president. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

The Pittsburgh Steelers have the best fan base, bar none, in all of American sports.

In fact, the Pittsburgh Steelers are the best franchise in American sports. I don't think there's even another contender. It's so obvious as to not be worth arguing about. And I'm not even a Steelers fan.

Doesn't necessarily mean they'll win tomorrow (although I think they will), but it's true.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote:The Pittsburgh Steelers have the best fan base, bar none, in all of American sports.

In fact, the Pittsburgh Steelers are the best franchise in American sports. I don't think there's even another contender. It's so obvious as to not be worth arguing about. And I'm not even a Steelers fan.
Who's arguing? Glad you got that off your chest!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Well, Zamtuk and Canelek were both critical in one way or another. But I wasn't really trying to respond to anyone, just making a point.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Sueven's fan comment made me have to bring out this little gem.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33426
You Will Suffer Humiliation When The Sports Team From My Area Defeats The Sports Team From Your Area

As you can see from the calendar, the game is coming up this weekend. I'm sure you are as excited for it as I am, as our cities are rivals and have been for quite some time. Your confidence in your team is high, but rest assured, you will suffer humiliation when the sports team from my area defeats the sports team from your area.

On numerous occasions, you have expressed the conviction that your area's sports team will be victorious. I must admit that every time I hear you make this proclamation, I react with both laughter and disbelief. "Ha!" I say to myself with laughter. "What?!" I say to myself in disbelief. How could you believe that your sports team could beat my sports team? It is clear that yours is inferior in every way.

When the sporting contest begins, the players on your team will be treated as though they are inconsequential. It will be remarkably easy for my team to accumulate more points than yours. There are many reasons for this, starting with the inferior physical attributes of the players representing your area. Strength, speed, and agility are just three of the qualities that the players on the team from your area lack. The players representing my area, on the other hand, have these traits in abundance.

I would not be a bit surprised if the individuals on the team from your area were sexually attracted to members of their own gender. That is how ineffective they are on the field of battle.

Underscoring your team's inferiority is its choice of colors. It is ludicrous to believe that your team's colors inspire either respect or fear. Instead, they appear to have been chosen by someone who is colorblind or, perhaps, bereft of sight altogether. The colors for my team, on the other hand, are aesthetically pleasing when placed in proximity to one another. They are a superior color combination in every way.

While we are on the subject of aesthetics, let us compare the respective facilities in which our teams play. While my team's edifice is blessed with architectural splendor and the most modern of amenities, yours is a thoroughly unpleasant place in which to watch a sporting contest. I know of what I speak, for I once attended a game between our respective teams in your facility. Let's just say the experience left me wishing that my car was inoperable that day due to mechanical problems, rendering it impossible for me to get to your area to attend the game.

If you need another reason why the sporting franchise representing my area is superior, look no further than the supporters for the two sides. Not only are the supporters of the team from my region more spirited, but they are also more intelligent and of finer breeding than you and the rest of your ilk. In addition, the female supporters of the team from my area possess more attractive countenances and figures than yours. Some of the women from my side that I have observed could make a living by posing for pictures for major men's magazines. The women who cheer for your team, I'm afraid, are far too unattractive to do so.

One of the more pathetic aspects of the team from your area is the fact that only people in your immediate area possess an affinity for it. By means of contrast, the team from my area inspires loyalty and affection in individuals who live in many other geographic locations.

To illustrate this point, let me tell a brief story: Recently, I was on vacation in an area of the country far away from my own, and I saw many individuals wearing items of clothing that bore the insignia of my team. I approached one such individual and asked him if he originated from my area. He said no, explaining that he simply liked the team from my area and had for many years. Interestingly enough, during this trip, I saw no clothing or other paraphernalia bearing the insignia of your team.

Do you still doubt that the team from your area is inferior to the one from mine? Just look at our teams' respective histories. In the past, we have defeated you on any number of occasions. Granted, there were times when your team beat my team, but those were lucky flukes.

The day of the game will soon be at hand. And no matter how hard you pray to a higher power or how many foam accoutrements you wear in support of the team from your area, your team will be defeated. We will win and you will lose. This is your fate.

Prepare for humiliation. It shall be upon you at the designated hour.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

There was a Steelers fan that had a heart attack when Bettis fumbled in the playoffs against the Colts a few years ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2295603

I was out looking for a job yesterday and they were all over the place. They LOVE wearing their Steelers gear. I saw a group of 8-10 at a bus stop on the next island over from mine, and every single one was black and gold from head to toe. I thought about stopping and offering some of them a ride for a fee, but I figured they would've called a taxi if they wanted to ride in a car. A couple of strippers I know are banking like hot shit. If I had any type of service industry job, including dealing poker, in this town right now I'd be having a great weekend...
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Sueven wrote:In fact, the Pittsburgh Steelers are the best franchise in American sports. I don't think there's even another contender. It's so obvious as to not be worth arguing about.
The Boston Celtics may beg to differ.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Wow. Just wow. James Harrison with the longest play in SB history....and possibly the biggest swing in a game I have ever seen.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

That was AWESOME!
- Ash