Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Johnny Depp gets 56M for Pirates 4

Post by Winnow »

http://www.aol.com.au/movies/story/john ... index.html

Liked the first movie, second was "eh", third one sucked.
The staggering sum (US$56 million/AU$75 million) is the largest upfront payment in film history and will see Johnny, 45, move to the top of Hollywood's rich list - overtaking Will Smith - when he reprises his role as Captain Jack Sparrow.

A source said: "It's a hell of a lot of money for one movie but there’s only one man who can play Captain Jack Sparrow - and that's Johnny Depp."

"Pirates just wouldn't be the same without him, so they were more than willing to smash the record books to land Depp again. He's been the star of the show every time."

Earlier this year, Will was named the highest earning actor in Hollywood by Forbes magazine after he grossed £40 million (US$70 million/AU$94 million) in one year.

However, Johnny's new deal will see his earnings soar to £72 million (US$123 million/AU$165 million).

The source added: "He's laughing all the way to the bank. Not only is he probably the biggest heartthrob in Hollywood, he's now going to be the richest."

Johnny's co-stars in the first three films in the franchise, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, are unlikely to appear in the latest instalment.
With the rest of the regular cast not affordable due to Depp's huge salary, this movie will blow even harder. (not that Keira Knightly and Bloom are much good as actors)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Johnny Depp gets 56M for Pirates 4

Post by Funkmasterr »

I hope the characters the Orlanda Bloom and Keira Knightley played aren't in the movie then. Inconsistencies in who plays characters throughout a series of films sucks.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Orlando didn't add much to the movies and I thought Keira sucked. So them being gone could actually make for a better movie.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:Orlando didn't add much to the movies and I thought Keira sucked. So them being gone could actually make for a better movie.
It's not that I thought either one of them was great, it's just that I've associated them with that character (as I'm sure most people have) and changing that just isn't a good idea IMO.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Funkmasterr wrote:I hope the characters the Orlanda Bloom and Keira Knightley played aren't in the movie then. Inconsistencies in who plays characters throughout a series of films sucks.
Given the way part III ended and the 10 year reunion, it wouldn't surprise me if neither character returned at all. I can't say I'd be terribly torn up over that either. My guess is that part IV will be about the Fountain of Youth, and I'd have to agree with Winnow, the quality of the films has fallen with each installment.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Drinsic Darkwood wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I hope the characters the Orlanda Bloom and Keira Knightley played aren't in the movie then. Inconsistencies in who plays characters throughout a series of films sucks.
Given the way part III ended and the 10 year reunion, it wouldn't surprise me if neither character returned at all. I can't say I'd be terribly torn up over that either. My guess is that part IV will be about the Fountain of Youth, and I'd have to agree with Winnow, the quality of the films has fallen with each installment.
I would be fine with the characters not being in the film at all, too. As long as there was another hot girl in it at some point :)

I didn't think the third film was that bad, actually. I think I liked it more than most.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I've not seen a single "Pirate" movie.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

The first one was actually pretty good, even though it is Disney. The second was fucking awful. I never saw the third, and really do not plan to see it.

So, you aren't really missing much.
en kærlighed småkager
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I'll cut every last one of you naysaying bitches.

(not really)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Johnny Depp sure ain't starving! :)
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Johnny Depp sure ain't starving! :)
I'd say not.

Pharm
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

and he's spending all that cash in France! COMMUNIST.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

If that's what it took to get him to sign on, they're better off NOT MAKING THE MOVIE.

This is a bad investment, and no one is worth that much cash.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah, a movie (#3) that cost $150 million to make and that had a worldwide gross of over $952 million. I can see how that would be a bad investment. :roll:
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fash wrote:This is a bad investment, and no one is worth that much cash.
Apparently Johnny Depp is.

The POTC franchise is basically a license to print money.

Curse of the Black Pearl
Worldwide: $654,264,015

Dead Man's Chest
Worldwide: $1,066,179,725

At World's End
Worldwide: $960,996,492
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I liked all three. :D
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Jack Nicholson made more than twice that for Batman almost 20 years ago. Where have you people been?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

That some sort of back-end deal for Jack? Or did you read a decimal place wrong or something?

This is news because it's all up-front money, and by far the biggest deal ever.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

miir wrote:
Fash wrote:This is a bad investment, and no one is worth that much cash.
Apparently Johnny Depp is.

The POTC franchise is basically a license to print money.

Curse of the Black Pearl
Worldwide: $654,264,015

Dead Man's Chest
Worldwide: $1,066,179,725

At World's End
Worldwide: $960,996,492
I had no idea they made that much... I retract my statements.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

I also had no idea they made that much money. What makes me sad is the one which I think was the best, made the worst.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sylvus wrote:That some sort of back-end deal for Jack? Or did you read a decimal place wrong or something?

This is news because it's all up-front money, and by far the biggest deal ever.
Jack got box office and merchandising. Depp will be getting nothing of the sort. That's not back room at all. The cast did the same thing for Ghostbusters 2. I believe Jack is still the highest paid star from Batman due to his clever contracting and up front demands.

Toby Maguire is getting 50$ million plus stock options for 6 months worth of work shooting Spiderman 4 and 5. Tom Hanks is getting over 50 million for Angels and Demons. The top "up-front money" record has been set and broken 3 times in the past year. Jack's still got em all!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Jack got box office and merchandising. Depp will be getting nothing of the sort. That's not back room at all. The cast did the same thing for Ghostbusters 2. I believe Jack is still the highest paid star from Batman due to his clever contracting and up front demands.
I haven't been able to find anything to corroborate any of that so I'm just going to assume that you're full of shit.

edit: Specifically in regards to the part I bolded... He is MOST DEFINITELY getting residuals from merchandising. He'd have to be a complete fucking moron to not have inked a marketing contract after the success of the first movie.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Psyloche wrote:I also had no idea they made that much money. What makes me sad is the one which I think was the best, made the worst.
Maybe price of tickets went up between the movies? Or the locations were increased for the next one.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Also, just to be technical, Depp is getting 56M to do 2 sequels back to back, so it's 28M per picture. If you really want to split hairs, Tom Hanks still has him beat for Angels and Demons with his 50M paycheck!

Depp is set to break the record for the most money earned in a single year by an actor though!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Also, just to be technical, Depp is getting 56M to do 2 sequels back to back, so it's 28M per picture.
Again, I can't find anything to corroborate that claim so I'll just assume that you're full of shit... again.

Will all the misinformation and bullshit you've posted in this thread, it almost seems like you have some sort of personal vendetta against Johnny Depp.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Toby Maguire is getting 50$ million plus stock options for 6 months worth of work shooting Spiderman 4 and 5. Tom Hanks is getting over 50 million for Angels and Demons. The top "up-front money" record has been set and broken 3 times in the past year. Jack's still got em all!
For the 2 Matrix sequels, Keanu Reeves was paid 20 million + 15%.
He made close to 200 million.
Jack does not beat that.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Paying actors that much money to be in a movie is just as bad, and no different in my opinion, as paying executives of large companies huge salaries.

I don't get how people complain about one, but not the other.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Because they are aren't really in any way a legitimate comparison mate, imo at least.

Still, the Pirates franchise needs to die. It's lame. Depp is a great actor and Jack Sparrow was a great funny role, but to be honest he's really been riding on his reputation for far longer than is reasonable. One Pirates film was enough. Now its getting stupid.

Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are useless actors. Bloom was good in LOTR, because it's virtually impossible to fuck Legolas up, anything else he has been in is terrible.

The Pirates franchise is dull, cookie cutter, lowest common denominator nonsense. It's not surprising they're making a new one. Shit Shrek 4 is being made and that series is a fucking disaster.

I guess whoever thought this was a good idea can bank on the fact I won't be wasting my money on it. But there are plenty who will.

Meh, Hollywood's a business. Looking for art? There's no shortage of better films, more entertaining with better plots, humour, acting and relevance, in virtually every place other than Hollywood. There's room for them all, so no point getting annoyed. Her period dramas are terrible too. She is really just a total waste of space.

A mindless enjoyable film has its place, but even Pirates should be left in the bargain bin where it belongs. (as should shitty Shrek 4) It's just, imo, not even entertaining anymore. It's more of a slog to watch it than an enjoyable experience. Knightley in particular needs to just stop acting, she's fucking terrible.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Nick wrote:Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are useless actors. Bloom was good in LOTR, because it's virtually impossible to fuck Legolas up, anything else he has been in is terrible.
While I agree for the most part, I absolutely loved the Kingdom of Heaven DC, and I thought Bloom was fine in it.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Nick wrote:Because they are aren't really in any way a legitimate comparison mate, imo at least.
Maybe not, I dunno. I guess I'm just not motivated by greed as much as the average person. I can't even begin to imagine what I would do with $56m. You can only buy so many houses and cars....
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This tops them all:
4. THE ROLE: Gandalf in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy

WHO LET IT GET AWAY: Sean Connery, who'd never read the J.R.R. Tolkien series and claimed he "didn't understand the script." (Can you say karma?)

REGRETTABILITY METER: High

In return for playing the role, New Line Cinema offered the Scottish actor up to 15 percent of worldwide box office receipts, which would have earned Connery more than any actor had ever been paid for a single role -- as much as $400 million.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I couldn't imagine anyone else playing Gandalf. Not in a million years.

Connery also turned down a role in the Matrix because he didn't understand it. When LXG came across his desk, he said he didn't understand that script either, but there was no way he was going to let another one get past him just because of that!

There are lots of hits and misses out there for sure.

Kate Winslet turned down the role as Eowyn in LotR! Will Smith turned down playing Neo in Matrix!