Decorations

Why can't witches have babies? Because their husbands have hallo-weenies.
For scary, spooky or other Halloween-related posts.

Moderator: Fairweather Pure

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Decorations

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Do you put them up? A little, a lot? What kind?

My wife and I buy decorations every year for our home. It's has actualy become quite a tradition. Our usual haunts are hobby shops, Halloween USA, and Target. We always buy creepy and scary, leaving cute and cuddly out of our home. That shit ain't Halloween!

Last year, it took us 2 days to put everything up. This year, we're only putting up what we've bought so far this year because we have a 19 month old and a baby due any day (minute?) and we didn't want to have to deal with taking themall down.

Another great tradition we have is after Halloween has ended, we buy a large orange storage tub at target and fill it with all the price slashing sales. It's always a surprise the next year to see what we bought because we've forgotten by then :P
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Decorations

Post by Funkmasterr »

My girlfriends mom loves halloween, and she usually goes crazy with decorations and there is a big party with a keg, etc. It's usually quite a bit of fun, and everyone comes in costume.

Last year we set up a haunted forest in the narrow space between their garage and house that you have to walk through to get to the backyard where the party is. There was a haunted forest mural on the wall, cobwebs hanging from above you so you had to duck down to get through, and all sorts of other stuff.

I generally have fun with halloween. I'm not sure what the plan for this year is.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

We always put up stuff but nothing too elaborate. Jack o' lanterns, corn stalks w/ a pumpkin scarecrow (doesn't scare the squirels though, they rape the corn every year the bastards), some witches, etc. My street just somehow became halloween central for some reason. We go through all 400 pieces of whatever we have to give. And, an unspoken rule is that it all ends at 6PM. This year we have barricades blocking off the main 1/2 mileish length for the first time. Nobody goes to work if falls on a weekday. That time is spent on yard cleanup by everyone.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

My wife puts out the few nick nacks she has inside the house and outside we put up a few things like a scarecrow or witch or ghost that are on posts tha we can stick in the ground. A few pumpkins in the front flower garden area. Nothing elaborate as we don't like to do much to clean up after it is all done. Also our kids are still pretty young and can't really appreciate it all yet.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I haven't gotten into the outdoor decorations yet. It mainly comes down to a lack of storage space.
lmnt9
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by lmnt9 »

I made gravestones out of a bunch of scrap wood and put them in the front lawn.

I've got a porch now so I may try to setup something more elaborate with a fog machine. I love fog machines.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Last weekend the wife and I put up all our decorations in just under 12 hours.

This year was a first for us, in that our oldest daughter is now 2 and 1/2. We were curious what her reaction would be since we do not have many cutesy decorations, instead having lots of tombstones, spiders, and scary stuff like that. We had done the majority of the transformation of the house while the kids were taking their afternoon naps. The time before and after was prepping all the areas, moving furniture, ect. One of the major additions this year is a 10 house strong Halloween Town that lights up, moves, ect. I had set it up on a very low coffee table and moved it to the corner of the living room. My daughter's face lite up when she saw it. She leaned on her elbows and watched and laughed at if for the next 1/2 hour. Every night we turn it on with a little ceremony and she loves it. She has been really good about not trying to pick anything up. She just watches and touches once in awhile. I was very happy with this addition.

The other one we got was one of those LED skulls in a bubble that tells your fortune. I picked it up last year at Target's end of year blowout. That thing is fully animated, lights up, and is loud. We set it up in the fireplace and surrounded it with toole and such. It has a button you can push to activate it. At first my girls were very stand off-ish of the skull, but now my oldest pushes the button all the time. She will also stare at it as it's talking and open and shut her mouth, mimmicing the movements of the skull. I have some cool videos of her doing it. Very cute and funny.

Our last major addition was a clear container full of eyeballs. You fill it with water and screw the cap on. There is a little button on top that activates some LEDs, sounds of bubbeling, and the eyeballs start swimming around in the jar. My daughter loves this thing. She pushes the button whenever she walks past.

Watching my kids interact with the decorations, watching them laugh, cheer, and play again makes me unbelieveably happy. We're already on the lookout for more things our kids can interact with for the other holidays.