If anyone remembers / played with Etain

Everquest related info only here, quests, help, info, recruiting, etc.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

If anyone remembers / played with Etain

Post by Aslanna »

Stolen from CD board:
Got a call this morning from a friend of mine that let me know that Etain passed away last week. He had been struggling with an illness for a while now. He is having a service coming up in the next few days. If anyone is interested to get that information you can ask me in game.
He didn't seem to like me ever since I left OG for CT back in the day... The dude knew how to hold a grudge! Anyway, always sad to hear about someone you knew who is no longer around. I'd still see him around in EQ on occassion and was always nice to see a familiar name year after year. Not many people left that have been playing since pre-Kunark.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: If anyone remembers / played with Etain

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I remember Etain, that's too bad :(
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I remember Etain as well.

/mourn
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sorry to hear the news.

Like Aslanna, I don't think Etain liked me but won't get into that and it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I hope playing EQ and other PC games gave him a way to keep his mind off things during the worst times of his illness.

Pils
Tabytha (spelling...Shaerra's friend)
Etain

Don't like to hear news of this kind whether I got along with someone or not.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

I was in CoE with Etain for years. I don't think he liked very many people. However it is very sad to see him go :(.
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I remember Etain.. he used to solo the dragons outside ToV, which I enjoyed watching for some reason.

r.i.p.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Sad... I got along fine with the mangina... sad, sad indeed.
Sick Balls!
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Sad news, I dont recal ever having problems with him.
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

ah bummer, i grouped quite a bit with him during my time in CoE...i wish his family well
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

What was Etains last name back in the day? It was something catchy right? I think I remember being a female high elf? not sure...

We pass time, but time never passes us
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I think Etain was a female barbarian shaman.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

What Spang said. I remember him, but never grouped with him. Sorry to hear the news.
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

Spang wrote:I think Etain was a female barbarian shaman.

awww crap that was a guy??
Shaira&Kinadmera
No Stars!

Post by Shaira&Kinadmera »

Wow...been years since I've even looked at these boards. How's everyone doing?

My family and I ended up going to Eric's memorial service, since we only live a few hours from where they held it. He and I were good friends, and have been for the last 8 or 9 years. It was a nice service and I got to see a couple mutual friends we had that also used to play EQ. If it wasn't for Eric/Etain, I never would have been able to meet my fiancee and I wouldn't have my beautiful son. He was a good man...no matter what his quirks were :)

Yes, he was a female barb shammy...but also had a slew of other characters...Typhonn, Hedar, to name a couple. Even though he held grudges forever, he did have a kindness to him that those close to him saw. He is greatly missed...

**edit** for Xanu - his surname was Dragonsfyr...after the line in Metallica's Enter Sandman "...dreams of war, dreams of liars, dreams of dragon's fire..."
Kirruu
No Stars!
XBL Gamertag: Kirruu

Post by Kirruu »

Eric was a good friend of mine, I knew he was ill but I had no idea it was getting that bad until the news reached me. We used to wander off to middle of nowhere and kite stuff for hours. I found out he passed away through word of mouth, I believe it was Leyor who informed me. It was a sad day. Etain has been around forever; it's just a strange thing to lose someone out of the blue, I guess you never know when it's your turn...
Some assembly required.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

Just heard about this from someone in IM today.

Very sorry to hear of Etain's passing. He was very helpful to me as a noob. I'll never forget him killing himself draining health for mana while we were waiting to do some piece of someone's epic.
Shaira&Kinadmera
No Stars!

Post by Shaira&Kinadmera »

HAHAHA I remember that! And then he crabbed at me because I didn't heal him ROFL. I was all "dude...not my job to heal you while you eat yourself...but I'll rez your dumb ass if you want me to" hehe.

hehe...I needed that smile...I've been thinking a lot about him lately...it'll be a year a month from tomorrow.
Ogbar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Greblaja

Post by Ogbar »

Wow, I can't believe I'm almost a year late with a reply to this: I guess that's what happens when you're barely around...

I was very sad to read this, needless to say. My relationship with Etain actually pre-dated EQ. We were on the same Quake team, Kablooie: I knew him then, as always, as Drago, short for his handle of Dragonsfyr. We had a lot of fun back then, dogfighting on the same team in Rocket Arena matches or just hanging out and having fun in the #kablooie! channel in IRC. Seems like a lifetime ago, now.

About half the K! squad decided they were going to play Everquest when it came out. The game honestly didn't interest me at all at the time (I got turned off by the screenshots on the box: what is it they say, don't judge a book by it's cover...), so I did not join them right off. If I recall it all correctly, he, with rackboy (Sriek in EQ, I believe) and Xaroc starting playing EQ together and were among the first members of the Crimson Guard. I finally joined a few months later, and though by then rack and Xaroc were already growing a bit tired of the game, the same was not true of Drago. He would go on, as you know, to run multiple accounts and have a long run playing the game. In those early days, he took me under his wing, showed me the does and don'ts, where to find some of the low level quests, etc. It was awfully kind of him, and I never forgot that.

In time, CG merged with Obsidian Overlords and became Obsidian Guard. Etain was always up there in the officer ranks, if I recall correctly, and for a while I was an officer in OG with him, though a notch or two below (again, if I recall correctly: it's frankly rather hard to remember all the clan structures I've been a part of over the years). I know in that time some of what he said and how he handled things rubbed folks the wrong way, folks in other guilds and in ours, alike. But I never had a problem with him or his actions: it seemed a lot of the drama stemmed more from folks not truely understanding each other than anything else. You have to understand though, OG was really really good at drama. It didn't take a whole lot of nudge back then to wobble the plate spinning on the stick.

In short, I'll always remember Drago's kindnesses to me in EQ, as they are among my fondest memories in the game, and I'll never forget those old barnstorming days playing Quake together. RIP Drago
Ogbar - a member of the Tiger's Roar retirement community