True Blood

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: True Blood

Post by Xatrei »

If you haven't already seen it, check out the video that HBO did for Comic-Con this year. It's available at hbo.com

I think the rest of the season should be pretty up-tempo. I was really digging last night's episode.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I started reading the books, and just made it through Book 2. It's interesting how different the books are, but I think that even though the show writers are going different directions it looks like they kind of circle back around to cover everything in the book.

If you haven't read the books, it's all told in first-person from Sookie's P.O.V. so a LOT of what is in the show is different. I don't think Tara even showed up as a character in the books until further along than the show is at right now (kind of, though I think I understand how they are setting it all up).

I'm highly enjoying both the books and the show.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I just caught up (except what was on last night apparently).
[Show]
Am I the only one who was totally underwhelmed by the whole "Texas Vampires" scene. It seems it should have been more dramatic, especially with Erik breaking things, and instead it was about as pedestrian as Judge Judy. Not sure who to blame there, actors or director.
- Ash
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Now that was a good episode!
[Show]
The only thing I'm wondering about is Godrik...so is he free to roam the basement, is he working with Steve? Wtf...such a great cliff hanger ending.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Yeah last night was a spectacular show. The last 20 minutes was packed with wtf moments.
[Show]
There is no way that Jason died, is there? Not reading the books, I was halfway expecting this Fellowship of the Light storyline to last a lot longer, maybe even multiple seasons, but that all looks like it's coming to an end soon. I was also wondering, too, about how Godric just walked into that basement and saved Sookie. There is definitely some twist to that, whether he is in with the Fellowship, or Erik is tied into this whole thing.
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I'm now like 5 books into the series, and A LOT is different from the TV show.

Regarding the character you mention "walking into the basement", the books explain it as:

WARNING - WHILE THE BOOKS ARE DIFFERENT, THIS IS STILL PROBABLY A SPOILER FOR THE SHOW
[Show]
Godric was like a 2000 year-old vampire who was "turned" back in ancient Rome, and had the tattoos on his arms from back then. He was pretty nasty - the books describe him as a child molestor - and he had decided to repent and "see the dawn", basically renouncing his evil and committing suicide by voluntarily walking out during daylight. He was at the Fellowship of the Sun voluntarily.

That said, a lot of the stuff was different. In the book, Sookie was in Texas looking for a different vampire that it turns out had been forcibly taken to the Fellowship by Godric, and this vampire (whose name I forget) was going to involuntarily be part of the ceremony with Godric. Godric was not Erik's maker (I don't recall if the other vamp was, I've been digesting these books pretty rapidly). And Jason was never even in Texas, so they're diverging from the books quite a bit.

Go Blue!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Damn, 2 weeks to wait until the finale. What do you guys think of what has been going on so far? Totally different from the books, I'm not at all sure what's going to happen. I've been enjoying them lately though.

Go Blue!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

What I think? Jason Stackhouse makes the season this season...too funny. A very good season, maybe not as strong as season one (2 story lines, 1) Godrik, 2) Maryanne), where as season 1 was just the strong murderer story line.

I'm very happy with season 2, so don't get me wrong...the only bad part is the 2 week wait to the finale. that's just dumb.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

[Show]
I hate the acting with the menad-brainwashed mob as a bunch of easilly misled keystone kops and hated the scene with Stackhouse as "the God". "Bullshit, God has horns" "Oh yeah..." <puts up a branch and makes mob happy>

I liked evil menad brainwashees, but the comic ones... not so much.
- Ash
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Holy fuck that was an incredibly awesome finale!

The scene with the bull...omfg that was badass.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Yeah, that was a really sweet and very different finale. I was really impressed.
Fuck Michigan!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Still haven't seen the finale. Hope it's as good as advertised.
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm six episodes into season two and am enjoying the series.

Someone mentioned poor acting but I disagree. They are acting stupid because that's how people from the south living in bumblefuck towns act.

On a side note, Jason Stackhouse looks exactly like a young George Bush.

Lafayette is my favorite character as well up to this point.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote: On a side note, Jason Stackhouse looks exactly like a young George Bush.
You keep telling yourself that so it's ok to masturbate when his ass comes on screen.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Winnow wrote:Someone mentioned poor acting but I disagree. They are acting stupid because that's how people from the south living in bumblefuck towns act.
[Show]
Wait until the scene where Jason storms Merlotte's to rescue Sam. Then tell me it isn't bad acting. I'd actually blame the director at that point.
- Ash
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I finally saw the last two episodes. I liked the finale.
[Show]
Teh queen is hawt.
- Ash
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

She reminds me of a young Christina Applegate.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

*bump*

True Blood Season 3 starts June 13
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

gotta make sure the DVR is scheduled correctly this time. Not too big on watching On Demand stuff for some reason, and I missed most of Season 2. Going to have to record episodes until the dvds come from Netflix.

This would all be much easier if I had a way to stream my uverse dvr stuff through Windows Media Center on the comp!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

I really like this season so far. Pretty excited to see where they go from here with 4 episodes left. It got renewed for season 4 already.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, I am enjoying it as well; aside from the fact that Tara is still in the show. :P

I missed last night's episode, so will likely watch it OnDemand.
en kærlighed småkager
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Anna Paquin all naked and on top was nice to see too.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I agree on the "sick of tara" thing. She really doesn't add anything to the show anymore.

I would also like to know why they have lafayette scenes with his boyfriend Jesus. WTF does that have to do with vampires and werewolves?

Its like they just felt the need to make a story ark for lafayette (insert: tara, jason, here as well), but couldn't think of anything, so they gave him a boyfriend and makeout scenes...its pointless to the show's plot...and makes it more soap opera like.

Other than the useless "filler" storylines (lafayette, tara, jason), it has been a great season so far.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Not sure how many read the book but Lafayette died in book 1 so really, anything to do with him is just filler.
Burke
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Burke »

So are they going to drag out the reveal to what Sookie is until the finale?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

How many more are left? My DVR cut off before the credits.

That was an exciting conclusion to last night's episode. I figured we'd see him show up there at the end, but I wasn't expecting that level of showmanship.

Go Blue!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Burke wrote:So are they going to drag out the reveal to what Sookie is until the finale?
Why does this particular aspect of the plot line seemed dragged out to you? They have only hinted at it previously, till this season, and it hasn't even been a major focus this season.
How many more are left?
Three more this season (random note, the timing of entourage/true blood/etc for their seasons is so that they never conflict with NFL games on Sundays). I am of the opinion that they could keep the secret till the last episode without it feeling drawn out, simply because there is so many other plot points that need to be covered.

Loved the ending to last night, especially the last line before the close out. I think it is pretty interesting what the writers of the show take from the books and what they change and how they jump a ton between the books. Also interesting is the show's influence on the last few books (i.e. the character of Tara being brought into the books a bit more). To continue on Tara, I agree with the other people here and wish they would just leave her alone for a bit (crazy mother fucking her mind -> crazy bull lady fucking her mind -> vampire raping her and fucking her mind).
Kluden wrote: I would also like to know why they have lafayette scenes with his boyfriend Jesus. WTF does that have to do with vampires and werewolves?

Its like they just felt the need to make a story ark for lafayette (insert: tara, jason, here as well), but couldn't think of anything, so they gave him a boyfriend and makeout scenes...its pointless to the show's plot...and makes it more soap opera like.
As someone else said, Lafayette's story in the show is completely made up since he was killed much earlier in the books. I assume they are planning to link the Lafayette story up to the supernatural theme before the season is over, or have it be a big focus next season. That being said, I like his story line OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS, and it doesn't feel like filler to me. Interesting to see how the dealing of vampire blood to people in Hot Shots will tie in with the Jesus part of the story, as well as Jason's story.

Jason's story is alright, imo, but could use some work. Once you realize what's going on with his hot shot's gf, it'll make a bit more sense/be a bit better supernatural wise, it will feel less like filler. They probably put too much on his plate with the death of Eggs thing, and then the GF thing for one season.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

This season continues to impress. Looking forward to the final 3 of the year. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Well...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

The next season will be very different.

I was hoping Tara would off herself.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

too many cliff hangers lastnight in both trueblood and entourage. I never really like it when season finales tie nothing up, and just prelude to next season. I'm used to trueblood having a nice neat wrapped up season, followed by a big wtf cliffhanger for the next season...what was last night, five?

and very disappointed that annoying ass tara didn't off herself. seriously...her character has no use. perhaps the actress who plays her will work on having a second annoying angry face!

edit: don't get my negativity wrong...I still loved this season.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That image makes me think "really bad period" which I don't think is its intended message.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The religious nuts are going to have a collective coronary over that cover.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The religious nuts are going to have a collective coronary over that cover.
That was from last September.
en kærlighed småkager