College Football Talk 08

What do you think about the sports world?
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: College Football Talk 08

Post by Zamtuk »

Well, as luck would have it, we will probably have the duty of playing either Texas or Oklahoma (should stir up some new shit talk on this board) in the Fiesta Bowl. I am hoping for Oklahoma because they have a shittier run in BCS games than we do. Then again, our on again off again defense could be lit the fuck up in a heartbeat. Lets hope our seniors can at least show up to play, since Arizona is our second home, and we have a shitload of fans down there.
Fuck Michigan!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

I would think it will have to be Texas we play.

Oklahoma is going to the National Championship game if they beat Missouri, and prob wouldn't get an at large if they don't.

Unless the all knowing masters of the BCS decide that an Alabama Florida rematch in the championship is in order.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

If OU loses OSU will play them, with Texas v. Bama/UF for the title game. If they win then its Texas. Regardless of current BCS rankings, it will be winner of SEC v. Big 12.
Fuck Michigan!
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

BCS DECLARES GERMANY WINNER OF WORLD WAR II
US Ranked 4th

After determining the Big-12 championship game participants the BCS computers were put to work on other major contests and today the BCS declared Germany to be the winner of World War II.

"Germany put together an incredible number of victories beginning with the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland and continuing on into conference play with defeats of Poland, France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands. Their only losses came against the US and Russia; however considering their entire body of work--including an incredibly tough Strength of Schedule--our computers deemed them worthy of the #1 ranking."

Questioned about the #4 ranking of the United States the BCS commissioner stated "The US only had two major victories--Japan and Germany. The computer models, unlike humans, aren't influenced by head-to-head contests--they consider each contest to be only a single, equally-weighted event."

German Chancellor Adolph Hiter said "Yes, we lost to the US; but we defeated #2 ranked France in only 6 weeks." Herr Hitler has been criticized for seeking dramatic victories to earn 'style points' to enhance Germany's rankings. Hitler protested "Our contest with Poland was in doubt until the final day and the conditions in Norway were incredibly challenging and demanded the application of additional forces."

The French ranking has also come under scrutiny. The BCS commented " France had a single loss against Germany and following a preseason #1 ranking they only fell to #2."

Japan was ranked #3 with victories including Manchuria, Borneo and the Philippines.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

lol, I saw that and wanted to post it when my link to it broke a couple days ago
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

lmfao
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

It looks like we shall have some cool BCS bowls this year. The lineup looks as though it will be:

Championship: Florida vs. Oklahoma (or Texas): A good title game that is, while not ideal, not as problematic as games like Miami-Nebraska or LSU-Oklahoma. Maybe not as great a matchup as USC-Texas was, but probably the next best thing.

Rose: Penn State vs. USC: Cool game. This one is a nice twist on the beatdowns that USC has been laying down on Ohio State and Michigan over the last few years and introduces a new Big Ten team into the mix (and Penn State has never quite felt like a natural Big Ten team). The two teams are very similar: Top-notch defenses with talented but inconsistent offenses. Both teams blasted most of their opponents and suffered one loss to an above-average-but-not-great 8-4 team from in-conference. Then you have the contrast at the top: New-school, hyperenergetic, competitive Pete Carroll against loyal, old-school Joe Paterno. Should be a cool one.

Fiesta: Ohio State vs. Texas (or Oklahoma): This one's not great but it's still intriguing. Ohio State gets a shot at redemption, Texas gets a shot to prove that it should be playing in the title game. Plus it's a reprise of the really excellent two-game series that these teams played a few years ago, a series in which the winner went on to win the national title in both years.

Sugar: Alabama vs. Utah: I like this one. Utah is substantially more legit than Hawaii was last year, and Alabama will give them a real opponent to test themselves against (unlike the Utah-Pitt game a few years back). This game is also important for Alabama. Nick Saban's program is getting tons of respect, but there are also doubts: All of Alabama's big wins this year (Clemson, Georgia, LSU) look worse in retrospect, and they were ten-point underdogs going into an SEC title game that they lost by eleven. Losing to Utah would cement the impression that Alabama isn't as good as it's 11-0 start indicates and hasn't quite earned a seat at the big boy table yet. When Oklahoma lost to Boise State a few years back, the Sooners were sufficiently established that they could just shrug it off. Alabama isn't quite at that level yet, and losing to Utah would open up a few doubts and put some pressure on for next season.

Orange: Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati: OK, this one sucks. The only real interesting thing here is that the Big East has a chance to win a fourth straight BCS game and run its record to 4-1 since the conference was raided for its best programs, a run which currently includes wins over the champions of the SEC, ACC and Big 12. Beating the ACC champion again would be particularly sweet as it was the ACC that raided the Big East, and this time the champion is one of the defectors. Lucky draw for Cincinnati, who's probably not good enough to beat any other BCS team (and might not be good enough to beat a few other non-BCS teams, either). I suppose it's a lucky draw for Virginia Tech for the same reason. Sorry Orange Bowl, this one sucks.

Also: Anyone notice that Tim Tebow has a shot at becoming one of the top few college football players of all time? He played a vital role on a national champion as a freshman, won the Heisman as a sophomore, won an SEC title as a junior, has a shot at another national title and another Heisman, and still has a year to play. If he puts together another great year next year-- say another SEC title and another Heisman nomination-- he's got to be right up there, no? Who else in recent memory can compare?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hmmm need a wrap up from Sueven on Football Conference strengths after the bowl games. How'd the Pac Ten do?

OhioSU deserves some thanks for stepping aside and letting another Big Ten (11) team get humiliated in the Rose Bowl this year.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

conference homers are annoying. root for a team FFS!
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I haven't really been following it much this year (note my lack of posts on the subject), but I feel like Oregon won, Oregon State won, Cal won and USC won, so I suppose the Pac Ten probably did good.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Wow! Grats Utah on a national championship! That was a great game they played.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

6 to 3.
OSU is looking good so far.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Oh well defense could only keep bailing the offense out for so long.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

How'd the Big 10 (11) do in the bowls this year?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

They did badly! I would think you would know that...
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Grats OSU covering spread! :D
en kærlighed småkager
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Tomorrow, I leave for Miami, where I will watch the Gators crush Oklahomo for our third national title.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Choklahoma can't beat an SEC team. Grats Gaters.
en kærlighed småkager
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Boomer

SOONER!

I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

You live in the FLA now son. Ain't no rootin' for no fuckin' Sooners no more!
en kærlighed småkager
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Canelek wrote:Grats OSU covering spread! :D
That was probably one of the best bowl games of the season honestly.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

That game was flat out disheartening. I couldn't even tell you what the defense was doing on that last touchdown. How you could get caught that off gaurd with 26 seconds left that you don't even have a db near the endzone is mindnumbing. I was blaming Tressel, but there is no way that the play they ended up running was what he had planned. That was all the players fault. Just complete disarray and confusion.

You also had to love the arrogance of McCoy after the game. After barely squeaking by the 10th ranked team in the nation, you proclaim that no one can beat you? Sheeeeit.
Fuck Michigan!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Wells had a helluva game, stats-wise. He should go high in the draft.
en kærlighed småkager
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

He is so soft though. Boom Herron looks like he will be a monster next year though.
Fuck Michigan!
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Colt soft!? That dude has taken a ton of hits this year and rarely missed a beat. 2 personal fouls by #90 (forgot his name) hitting McCoy squarely in the helmet and he kept chucking (well I might add). Those fouls may have turned the tide in the game. UT as national champs? I think not. They blew that debate in the first half, but for a team many projected to lose 3-4 games, I'm very satisfied with this season. Also Colt was considered 4th or 5th best QB in Big 12. I still think he's the best, but I'm a homer.

UT/OU is now the biggest rivalry in college football. Sorry Michigan/OSU, but that matchup is too one-sided now. OU hosed UT so much this year (except losing to them GRRRRRRRRRRRRR) that I am already looking forward to next season's Red River Shootout. Also UT is now something like 4-0 in BCS bowls since the Mack Brown era began.

TEXAS FIGHT TEXAS FIGHT YAY TEXAS FIGHT
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I think he meant Beanie Wells is soft.
en kærlighed småkager
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Ahhh. Sorry then! Beanie is good. The two OSUs were the only teams that managed to run on my Horns this year. Our D line is awesome. Orakpo's sack at the end of the game probably made him a million bucks for the draft. He will be missed.
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Canelek wrote:You live in the FLA now son. Ain't no rootin' for no fuckin' Sooners no more!
You can take the fan out of Oklahoma, but you can't take the Oklahoma out of the fan! SOONER 4 LIFE BIATCH!

Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Gzette wrote:Colt soft!? That dude has taken a ton of hits this year and rarely missed a beat. 2 personal fouls by #90 (forgot his name) hitting McCoy squarely in the helmet and he kept chucking (well I might add). Those fouls may have turned the tide in the game. UT as national champs? I think not. They blew that debate in the first half, but for a team many projected to lose 3-4 games, I'm very satisfied with this season. Also Colt was considered 4th or 5th best QB in Big 12. I still think he's the best, but I'm a homer.

UT/OU is now the biggest rivalry in college football. Sorry Michigan/OSU, but that matchup is too one-sided now. OU hosed UT so much this year (except losing to them GRRRRRRRRRRRRR) that I am already looking forward to next season's Red River Shootout. Also UT is now something like 4-0 in BCS bowls since the Mack Brown era began.

TEXAS FIGHT TEXAS FIGHT YAY TEXAS FIGHT
That second roughing call was an absolute joke actually. He didn't go helmet to helmet as the ref said. He hit Colt in his shoulder pads.
The first one was clearly a foul. You can't formarm shiver a QB in the face mask.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Zamtuk wrote:He is so soft though. Boom Herron looks like he will be a monster next year though.
I can't decide if Beanie is going early to the NFL or not. Everything I thought would say he should, but I also think his lack of durability as a "power" running back has got to be a huge red flag for NFL teams.

Both his years starting he has had some lingering injury that caused him to play games hurt and miss games.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, I thought he had some good runs, but nothing that really said to me that he would be a high draft position back. Maybe if all of the announcers and such had failed to point out that Texas had not faced a RB like him when mentioning how he was going to be going up against the number two run defense in the nation. Was he injured in this game or was I mixed up in who they were talking about when mentioning everyone going up to him asking him if he was going to return to the field?

As for Colt McCoy's comments, have you ever been involved in any kind of athletic event where you just finished an adrenaline filled series and the euphoria was setting in once you won? Hell yes, you are going to say that nobody could have beaten you! Hell, Texas was essentially one play away from going to the Big 12 Championship and potentially the BCS title game. Of course he's going to feel that way after completing the game winning drive playing the same way they had completed almost every scoring drive this year. Pick apart the defense and go for the throat when they miss an assignment.

As some friends and I were talking, we agreed on something. The first half was Big 10 football, and the second half was Big 12.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Thank you Xyun, for justifying my still cheering for my hapless Arkansas Razorbacks. :D
en kærlighed småkager
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Nothing about those girls breasts lead me to believe they are over the age of 11.
Fuck Michigan!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I thought the same thing about the first one's pubic region...
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

/slingblade I love me some college girls, mmm hmmm.
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Zamtuk wrote:Nothing about those girls breasts lead me to believe they are over the age of 11.
You're from Ohio, so is that a negative or a positive? Or do they have to be some relation to you?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Sylvus wrote:
Zamtuk wrote:Nothing about those girls breasts lead me to believe they are over the age of 11.
You're from Ohio, so is that a negative or a positive? Or do they have to be some relation to you?
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

That second roughing call was an absolute joke actually. He didn't go helmet to helmet as the ref said. He hit Colt in his shoulder pads.
The first one was clearly a foul. You can't formarm shiver a QB in the face mask.
Maybe. He did hit him on the helmet with his arms however. Regardless, it was a late hit. And, in my opinion, a better call than the pass interference on the uncatchable ball that went against the Longhorns. That one also set up a touchdown.

Also ...

Mack Brown is like bizarro George Bush.
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

They made up that pass interference call by not calling another one against Texas early in the fourth quarter.
Fuck Michigan!
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I think I'm gonna vomit. 1st and goal twice, empty twice. Let's hope the 2nd half goes better.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

After watching all the bowl games, I would have no problem with them giving Utah the National Championship. You can easily make a case for USC, Utah, Texas, Florida or Oklahoma and it would be prefectly legitimate. A playoff this year would have been great.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Xyun wrote:I think I'm gonna vomit. 1st and goal twice, empty twice. Let's hope the 2nd half goes better.
Welcome to SEC football.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Conference-by-conference bowl records
How each has fared during the postseason games

Conference Schools Record Percentage
Pac-10 (5) Ariz,Cal,Ore,OSU,USC 5-0 1.000

SEC (8) Ala,Fla,Ga,Ky,LSU,Miss,SCar,Vandy 6-2 .714

Big East (6) Cin,Pitt,Rut,UConn,USF,WV 4-2 .667

Big 12 (7) KU,Mizzou,Neb,OU,OSU,Tex,TT 4-3 .667

C-USA (6) EC,Hou,Mem,Rice,SMiss,Tulsa 4-2 .667

MWC (5) AF,BYU,CSU,TCU,Utah 3-2 .600

Independents (2) Navy,Notre Dame 1-1 .500

Sun Belt (2) Fla. Atlantic,Troy 1-1 .500

ACC (10) BC,Clem,FSU,GT,Mary,Miami, NC,NCS,VT,WF 4-6 .400

WAC (5) BSU,FresSt,Haw,LaTech,Nev 1-4 .200

Big Ten (7) Iowa,MichSt,Minn,NWestrn,OSU,PSU,Wis 1-6 .143

MAC (5) BallSt,Buff,CMich,NIU,WMich 0-5 .000

Looks like the Big 12 was not the Juggernaut we all were told it was. Once again Oklahoma is given the benefit of the doubt and chokes. Can we now officially keep Oklahoma and Ohio State out of the title races?
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/08/ ... newssearch
BCS is a political football in 2009

(CNN) -- Since its inception in 1998, the NCAA's Bowl Championship Series has weathered criticism from nearly all directions.

But entering 2009, the BCS may encounter a perfect storm: a unique, bipartisan legislative current and the imminent thunderhead of an Obama administration.

The BCS is the system that chooses the contenders for college football's most prominent postseason games: the Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar bowls, as well the National Championship game, which this year pits Oklahoma against Florida on Thursday.

The BCS relies on a compilation of polls and rankings instead of, to the consternation of many, actual competition.

In a post-election "60 Minutes" interview, President-elect Barack Obama made clear his stance on the issue: "This is important. I'm going to throw my weight around a little bit. [If] you've got a bunch of teams who play throughout the season [and] there's no clear decisive winner ... we should be creating a playoff system."

Republicans and Democrats alike each year are angered by what they see as inherent unfairness in the arrangement. In 2008, legislators -- for one reason or another -- drafted legislation to invalidate the BCS on grounds that it misdirects commerce.

In an April resolution, the House of Representatives formally, if not forcibly, condemned the BCS as "an illegal restraint of trade that violates the Sherman Anti-Trust Act" and also urged the Justice Department's Antitrust Division to investigate. Since this resolution, though, no serious action has been pursued.

And so, on December 10, Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, took the next step, introducing the College Football Playoff Act of 2008.

If passed, this bill would "prohibit, as an unfair and deceptive act or practice, the promotion, marketing, and advertising of any post-season NCAA Division I football game as a national championship game unless such game is the culmination of a fair and equitable playoff system."

If passed, this bill would apply to any game that occurs after January 31, 2011. It would be enforceable by the Federal Trade Commission.

The BCS, of course, would have things go differently. Made up of the commissioners from all NCAA Division I-A conferences; the athletics director from Notre Dame, which isn't affiliated with a conference; and representatives from each bowl organization, the BCS governing body announced in spring 2008 that the system would be used through at least the 2014 season.

Later, ESPN outbid Fox for a four-year television rights deal with the BCS. To begin in 2011, this contract rests on the understanding that the current system will remain in place.

On Thursday, second-ranked Oklahoma will battle top-ranked Florida in the National Championship. Third-ranked Texas was responsible for Oklahoma's only defeat. Texas didn't play Florida.

Barton, the ranking Republican in the Energy and Commerce Committee, represents the 6th District of Texas. Two of his co-sponsors, Republican Reps. Michael McCaul and Lamar Smith, represent districts 10 and 21, respectively -- two of the four districts that collectively represent Austin, home of the University of Texas.

Regardless of lawmakers' personal affiliation with home teams, the official motivation for college football reform is the same as for any similar economic reform: to help the little guy compete.

The BCS is composed of eleven conferences. The six traditionally dominant conferences -- the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, Pacific 10 and Southeastern -- are guaranteed at least one berth in one of the BCS bowls. Each year, they are awarded $18 million, plus $4.5 million for each additional team that appears in a bowl game. Meanwhile, only one team from the smaller conferences -- Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, Sun Belt and Western Athletic -- is given this opportunity.

For the 2006-07 postseason, an average of $25.5 million in revenue was awarded per large conference, while the small conferences averaged $5 million each.

As the argument goes, the larger postseason earnings provide an advantage -- in athletic recruiting, as well as for each university as a whole -- to the "power" conferences.

This is not the first time lawmakers have voiced their discontent.

In 2005, Barton summoned a BCS official before an Energy and Commerce subcommittee, but legislation did not result.

And in 2003, both the House and Senate Judiciary committees held oversight hearings to examine the BCS system, though the combined result yielded not much more than a sound bite from current Vice President-elect Joe Biden:

"It looks un-American. ... It looks like a rigged deal."
Change you can believe in!

EDIT: Removed an advertisement reference that I missed when posting the quote.
Last edited by Ashur on January 9, 2009, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ash
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

If you ain't a Gator then you must be gator bait!

Only a guy who played in the title game with a fractured ankle could get away with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZuu1xYZOoE
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt