It's finally time to get the shit talking going.

What do you think about the sports world?
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

It's finally time to get the shit talking going.

Post by Zamtuk »

USA Today Coaches Poll
1. Georgia (22)
2. USC (14)
3. Ohio State (14)
4. Oklahoma (3)
5. Florida (5)
6. LSU (3)
7. Missouri
8. West Virginia
9. Clemson
10. Texas
11. Auburn
12. Wisconsin
13. Kansas
14. Texas Tech
15. Virginia Tech
16. Arizona State
17. Brigham Young
18. Tennessee
19. Illinois
20. Oregon
21. South Florida
22. Penn State
23. Wake Forest
24. Michigan
25. Fresno State
Feel free to discuss how Michigan even got ranked. How OSU will fail. How the SEC is the end all be all to college football. How an SEC team will get screwed at years end due to parity. How the SEC is awesome. And most importantly, how <insert team> will be awesome.

ASU will fail this year as soon as winnow opens his mouth, so also feel free to reiterate that.

I for one feel that, while UGA is probably the best team, but I also think it would have been cool to see a 1v2 USC/OSU matchup. LSU will fall by the wayside, but I am very interested to see what happens with UGA and UF.

Oh, and Terrelle Pryor.
Fuck Michigan!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: It's finally time to get the shit talking going.

Post by Xatrei »

It's a rebuilding year for my Huskers, so my hopes for them aren't high. I'll settle for hoping that Les Miles gets embarrassed a few times this year. Hopefully LSU's defense will blow goats. Otherwise, I'm kind of anxious to see what Georgia does this year, and I'm also looking forward to seeing how Stoops and OU do after that Fiesta Bowl fiasco last season.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Pac Ten isn't very strong this year. USC of course, but ASU is the only other team on the radar. Arizona State lost a lot of players to the draft (if you recall, a RB with a broken leg went ahead of OhioSU's starting RB last year).

I'm looking forward to the Georgia game. Season tickets for ASU are as low as $100 so Georgia fans are buying season tickets just to go to that game
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Nope, last I checked Beanie hasn't been drafted yet. But, all that heisman talk could be bogus...

Oh wait, were you comparing ASU's 2008 draft losses to OSU's 2007 draft losses?

No really, because I can't quite figure out why that statement is completely retarded.
Fuck Michigan!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:Nope, last I checked Beanie hasn't been drafted yet. But, all that heisman talk could be bogus...

My bad. I mixed up my UM hate with my OhioSu hate. It was a UM RB that remained undrafted while the gimp ASU RB was picked. Carry on.

Pick 139 Torrain, Ryan, ASU (was out for the second half of the season with broken toe)
Pick 202 Hart, Mike. UM

From Oct 2007:
Guys who could win the Heisman if everything falls right:

• Mike Hart, Michigan. The Wolverines beat undefeated Ohio State and end the Buckeyes' hopes for a spot in the national title game. Hart beats a gimpy ankle, leads the nation in rushing and picks up the dreaded career achievement Heisman (see: Ron Dayne, Eric Crouch).
Hard to predict this year with ASU. Dennis Erikson is the real deal though. He'll get the most out of this year's team. He sure did a hell of a job with last year's team and has a proven track record. Sueven will recall I didn't like the choice when I first heard about it but watching the games last year changed my mind. He makes the right decisions and gives the team a chance.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Ahh, I thought you were poking fun that Michael Bush from Louisville was drafted ahead of Antonio Pittman in 2007.
Fuck Michigan!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Badger Badger Badger
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Well, Arkansas has Petrino now....

So basically he will tire of Fayetteville, return to coach the NFL Falcons after week 10 before unseating Nick Saben in Tuscalusa(sp) the following season.

Still fucking pissed that McFadden is a asshat Raider now. :(
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Zamtuk wrote:Feel free to discuss how Michigan even got ranked.
I'm a bit surprised about that myself. Though I read an opinion this morning that made sense. Someone said that #24 going into the bowls translates to about an 8-4 season, which is right about where I'd guess Michigan will be at the end of '08. Please talk all the shit you like about Michigan, it's definitely a rebuilding year and I enjoy playing Ohio State when there are low expectations. I encourage all the overconfidence you'd like to send my way this year. ;)
Zamtuk wrote:Oh, and Terrelle Pryor.
Enjoy Terrelle Pryor! I would anticipate you'll have at least this whole season, possibly even next, before you have your next Maurice Clarett on your hands.
Winnow wrote:My bad. I mixed up my UM hate with my OhioSu hate. It was a UM RB that remained undrafted while the gimp ASU RB was picked. Carry on.

Pick 139 Torrain, Ryan, ASU (was out for the second half of the season with broken toe)
Pick 202 Hart, Mike. UM

From Oct 2007:
Guys who could win the Heisman if everything falls right:

• Mike Hart, Michigan. The Wolverines beat undefeated Ohio State and end the Buckeyes' hopes for a spot in the national title game. Hart beats a gimpy ankle, leads the nation in rushing and picks up the dreaded career achievement Heisman (see: Ron Dayne, Eric Crouch).
At the time that was written, Hart led the nation in rushing but unfortunately didn't beat his gimpy ankle, sitting out 3 whole games and seeing very limited action in at least 3 more. What's the point of posting that? Was Ryan Torain (you spelled that wrong, Superfan!) ever even mentioned in the same breath as the word Heisman?

And as far as being undrafted goes, I'm not sure I'd call that undrafted, seeing how they were both drafted on Sunday and about 60 picks apart. I'm not sure if you've watched much football lately, but a 5'8" or 5'9" man is much farther from the mold of NFL Running Back than a 6'1" man is, injuries aside. That said, Mike Hart holds a number of career records for a football program that has had more success in each decade since football was invented than Arizona State has had, cumulative, it its history. Keep talking shit though!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Arizona State plays #1 Georgia and #2 USC this year. The only team to play the top two teams in the nation.

Last year they played three top 10 teams. I suppose OhioSU gets some props for playing #2 USC this year. Are there official strength of schedule lists somewhere? Lets not forget ASU beat #1 Nebraksa (shut them out!) back in the day!

APPALACHIAN STATE!

The point that I couldn't spell Ryan's name correctly speaks to how overrated Hart is/was. Some unknown guy that played half a season, completely out of action the second half, not just gimpy, was picked ahead of Hart.

Hart went to the Patrios while Torain went to Denver so both have a chance to prove themselves.

Ryan Torain is a beast. We'll have to check back in on these two in a few years after they both get a couple seasons to work their way into the lineup.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Looks very likely that Torrain will make the roster in Denver. The kid is getting rave reviews.
en kærlighed småkager
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Sylvus wrote:
Zamtuk wrote:I'm a bit surprised about that myself. Though I read an opinion this morning that made sense. Someone said that #24 going into the bowls translates to about an 8-4 season, which is right about where I'd guess Michigan will be at the end of '08. Please talk all the shit you like about Michigan, it's definitely a rebuilding year and I enjoy playing Ohio State when there are low expectations. I encourage all the overconfidence you'd like to send my way this year. ;)
You know, 2007 was a rebuilding year for OSU and look how that went for them! I think you guys will creep into a bowl, but I also think you will beat ND and come out of the Big Ten with a losing record in conference play. The only reason most of us down here enjoy a huge level of confidence aside from having Tressel on our sidelines is the fact that RichRod plays the rivalry just like your favorite coach ever, John Cooper did. I do like what Tressel said about you guys though: "It took Rich 7 years to have an outstanding program at WVU, 7 years of hard work won't translate over to a new school in just one year."
Zamtuk wrote:Oh, and Terrelle Pryor.
Enjoy Terrelle Pryor! I would anticipate you'll have at least this whole season, possibly even next, before you have your next Maurice Clarett on your hands.[/quote]

eh, he was arrested for beating some guys ass, after said guy beat a woman. Besides, I can't decide if that bitter sentiment I detect comes from the fact that he chose us over you, or that it was Detroit Lions' own Charlie Batch that talked him into it. FIRE MILLEN!
Fuck Michigan!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Winnow wrote:Arizona State plays #1 Georgia and #2 USC this year. The only team to play the top two teams in the nation.
Dude, can we at least wait until some games are played to start throwing around shit like this? Remember where Michigan was ranked going into last year? Arizona State deserves credit for scheduling a generally good team out of conference (they deserve no credit for playing their conference schedule), but that's about it at this point.

Also, can we hold off on the Ryan Torain / Mike Hart shit until Ryan Torain at least outperforms Mike Hart at any level of football in, you know, games? Remember where Tom Brady was drafted? Compare that to Jake Plummer. Hell of a lot more than 60 spots apart!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote:
Also, can we hold off on the Ryan Torain / Mike Hart shit until Ryan Torain at least outperforms Mike Hart at any level of football in, you know, games? Remember where Tom Brady was drafted? Compare that to Jake Plummer. Hell of a lot more than 60 spots apart!

Kiper knows his shit!

Regarding Torain:
was listed by ESPN's Mel Kiper as the No. 2 senior running back in the nation for 2007.

And what's with no credit for in conference games? Isn't the whole point that the Pac Ten is better than the Big Ten? When you've to to play three top ten teams within your own conference, I think that says something.

...and waiting to talk smack? Gee, that sounds like a lot of fun. Are you a closet conservative? Both talking shit before it happens as well as after holds entertainment value.
4. Who will be the starting running back?

Selvin Young is having a good camp and is keeping a strong handle on the No. 1 tailback job. But keep an eye on rookie Ryan Torain. He too is having a productive camp and the Broncos might use both Young and Torain extensively. With Young having durability problems both as a rookie and in college at Texas, the presence of Torain should help.
Rookie Ryan Torain is already seeing action with the Broncos' first-team offense at training camp.

Let's not go overboard here, but Torain may have already passed Andre Hall on the depth chart. Clearly, Torain is impressing and seems likely to make a run at a large role during the preseason. It's not at all far fetched to think that Torain and Selvin Young could open the regular season in a timeshare. Jul. 31 - 6:50 pm et
Source: Rocky Mountain News
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Zamtuk wrote:You know, 2007 was a rebuilding year for OSU and look how that went for them! I think you guys will creep into a bowl, but I also think you will beat ND and come out of the Big Ten with a losing record in conference play. The only reason most of us down here enjoy a huge level of confidence aside from having Tressel on our sidelines is the fact that RichRod plays the rivalry just like your favorite coach ever, John Cooper did. I do like what Tressel said about you guys though: "It took Rich 7 years to have an outstanding program at WVU, 7 years of hard work won't translate over to a new school in just one year."
You can't compare OSU 2007 "rebuilding" to Michigan this year. We've got an entirely new coaching staff and I think 1 returning offensive starter. I still think we're going to surprise some people and win at least 8 games (which is more than creeping into a bowl!). Losing record in Big 10 play? Pfft! I'm also not sure you can comment on how RichRod plays the rivalry, seeing how practice just started like yesterday.

Tressel knows that it takes 5 or 6 years to get your program to the point where it can be embarrassed in the Title game every year, but we'll see if RichRod can't pull it together a little quicker with the much better talent pool he'll have to work with than he did at WVU.

As far as Pryor goes, there was a time when I wanted him, but that went away long before he chose tOSU. Between dragging it all out and holding press conferences just to say that he had nothing to say, and his shady ties to that guy from his hometown and other little rumors about him wanting to get paid, I figured I'd rather not have to deal with the inevitable trouble that is going to accompany him in the next couple years. I could very well be wrong, and he could lead you guys to 4 years of domination of the NCAA, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Winnow wrote:And what's with no credit for in conference games? Isn't the whole point that the Pac Ten is better than the Big Ten? When you've to to play three top ten teams within your own conference, I think that says something.
huh? only 3 pac ten teams are even ranked. and Oregon looks to be a sympathy ranking. your conference is probably worse than the big ten at the moment.
Fuck Michigan!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:
Winnow wrote:And what's with no credit for in conference games? Isn't the whole point that the Pac Ten is better than the Big Ten? When you've to to play three top ten teams within your own conference, I think that says something.
huh? only 3 pac ten teams are even ranked. and Oregon looks to be a sympathy ranking. your conference is probably worse than the big ten at the moment.
I was talking about last year. This year the conference looks weaker overall.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Tiger Woods : Golf

South Eastern Conference : College Football
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Horrible comparison. Tiger is a single competitor. In College football, the competitors are teams. You chose a whole conference. Man up and pick a team.
- Ash
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I don't care for college football.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I hear you man. See I'm a Bengals fan, so naturally I don't care for Pro Football (although I do enjoy Kilmoll's yearly taunts of Pittsburgh domination to Homer and take them myself in good spirit).

Still a terrible analogy. You're benched. :lol:
- Ash
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

Got my season tickets for USC after years of only able to get the Pac-10 ticket package and looking forward to the OSU and Notre Dame (though they suck now) games.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Back on topic. I think if OSU can beat USC convincingly, they may actually have a third shot at the title in three years (unless USC subsequently shits the bed and loses to everyone else in another nightmare season of "parity")
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I'm interested in seeing how the more "pro-style" clock works this year. It is expected to shorten the games without removing plays like last year's changes. At least Mack Brown got the Texas team practicing with refs and the new clock last Spring. It sounds like other teams did not start doing it nearly as early.

About the USC v OSU matchup, the only thing I don't like about it is the inevitable talk about a rematch at Bowl time. I really don't like the idea of rematches of regular season games in bowl games for some reason. I do like the scheduling of big non-conference games though, and I wish more teams did it.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

GO UConn?
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Boogahz wrote:I'm interested in seeing how the more "pro-style" clock works this year. It is expected to shorten the games without removing plays like last year's changes.
Any articles on this? I've not heard about this before and wouldn't mind reading some commentary on it.
Boogahz wrote:About the USC v OSU matchup, the only thing I don't like about it is the inevitable talk about a rematch at Bowl time. I really don't like the idea of rematches of regular season games in bowl games for some reason. I do like the scheduling of big non-conference games though, and I wish more teams did it.
No one likes post season rematches of regular season games. I think we should have a playoff system so that if this happens at least people can track the bracket to see how it did.
- Ash
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Ashur wrote:
Boogahz wrote:I'm interested in seeing how the more "pro-style" clock works this year. It is expected to shorten the games without removing plays like last year's changes.
Any articles on this? I've not heard about this before and wouldn't mind reading some commentary on it.

I can't view this from work, but it should tell you everything you need to know.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_video/football ... Clock.html

If you can't view it from work, let me know, I have a couple sources I could find again that you could read about it.

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Ashur wrote:
I posted some local talk about it in my Local Commentary thread on 08/06.

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 22&t=21453
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

oh snap sanchez went down with a dislocated kneecap
Fuck Michigan!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Zamtuk wrote:oh snap sanchez went down with a dislocated kneecap
Wonderful, now when OSU beats them Winnow and all the other PAC-10 fanbois will bitch that it is due to the lingering affects.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Penn State will finish in the top 10.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sabek wrote:
Zamtuk wrote:oh snap sanchez went down with a dislocated kneecap
Wonderful, now when OSU beats them Winnow and all the other PAC-10 fanbois will bitch that it is due to the lingering affects.
West coast football players aren't pussies! He'll be back. OhioSU is going down.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I heard an Olympic announcer state something along the lines that U of M has had more Olympic alumni than any other college? It was something like that. Maybe it was the most medal winners or something. Anyway, he rounded out the stat with "eat your heart out Ohio", which I thought was pretty funny :)

http://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/olymp2/oltitle.htm

That's all I could find with a quick search. It's a very impressive history. U of M has such an amazing history in sports.