Question

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Question

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I have noticed that the popularity of sports like MMA and UFC are starting to rise rather quickly. Given the amount of movies and books we have all read in the Sci Fi/Fantasy genre do you think that our society will become one that will eventually evolve to where we want to see actual gladiator bouts or death matchs and such. Is it too far fetched to think that maybe within the next 20-30 years that our sports will become increasingly violent to the point where a death on the playing field might become an uncommon experience instead of an ultimate rarity?
Aevian Dreaklear
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: Bisky Campst

Re: Question

Post by Aevian Dreaklear »

My guess is sports won't get to that point in our lifetime, unless democracy falls and we have some sort of weird revolution/martial law. If anything, sports are getting more tame and will continue to do so as not not upset sensitive groups. In professional sports they've done away with the cut-throat gesture (bullshit imo) and everything that can be construed as a possible gang sign is immediately disciplined. I wouldn't be surprised that MMA may start to stop fights earlier due to cuts in order to draw in the fans who don't like blood but appreciate martial arts.

However with all the crazy shit on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a "more hardcore" brand of MMA where deaths can possibly occur. But I don't see increasing violence on national broadcasts in our future.