Confessions of a coffee addict

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Confessions of a coffee addict

Post by valryte »

It's February 26th and this native of Miami, FL is walking down the streets of Philly in the middle of winter. The temperature outside is 42ºF, cool for the Philly natives, cold as fuck for this boy from the south. As he's walking through the streets on the way to the office, he notices that on just about every block, there's a Dunkin Donuts and inside are swarms of people, shaking, shivering, barely holding onto the 2 bucks needed to get their fix. Behind the counters are the Asian Dealers, about a dozen of them taking orders, pouring, bagging, ringing up the register. Every time a customer opens the door it's impossible for him to ignore that sweet smell of hot dripping liquid caffeine no matter how fast he tries to walk past them. Eventually he gives in, it's just too much to resist. He stands there now in line, eagerly awaiting his fix, holding his 2 bucks, bitching at why he has to pay 13 cents more in Miami for the same fucking coffee...

So last night I was hungry and went out to get something to eat. While driving around, I decided to take a trip down to my local 24hr Walmart. I was actually there looking to pick up the 3rd season of House, just got into the show this past season and been catching up. I didn't find it, but did pass by the coffee maker aisle. I decided to get my own coffee maker since I work from home, though I'm wondering if I really should. Going out to get coffee at least got me out of the house since I'm home practically all day.

Well I grabbed me one of these...
...plus some cheap grinder. I think it was like 40 bucks for everything. I also got some water filter thing for it, not sure if it does anything. Need to test with and without it.

I didn't want to spend too much money at first in case I really didn't like it. I know there are some expensive coffee makers out there with built in grinders, but I'm thinking, it's coffee, how complicated can it be to run hot water through some ground up coffee beans. Anyways, I'm calling out to the coffee experts out there that brew their own. What advice/experience do you have to share? Right now I set the grinder in the middle and will work my way in one direction or another until I get to the right setting. When I opened it, I was wondering how to tell it to make just 4 cups. I was looking at the buttons, but they just control the clock/timer and on/off. Then it hit me...just put in 4 cups of water! Its fucking brilliant I tell you!!!...And yea, I bought Dunkin Donuts coffee beans too! :)
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Confessions of a coffee addict

Post by Winnow »

That's a mighty fine looking coffee pot :!:

I've been thinking of ditching the pods and getting back to ground coffee. I know it tastes better but the pods are so fast and offer a total lack of cleanup afterwards. ~90-120 seconds from start to finished cup! That includes 30 second warm-up and 60 second brew. I chose speed over taste but respect those that take the extra few seconds to grind and scoop and fiddle with filters. I'm a bit obsessed with speed and lack of cleanup when it comes to preparing food/drinks.

I'm sure the VV coffee snobs will educate you on pressurized brewing or whatever they do!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I drink the free coffee at work.
- Ash
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

the best method to make coffee for me is with a funnel directly over the cup. it produces the best flavor you can really get from a drip method and is extremely fast and lets you control not only the amount of grounds but also the water temperature

put a filter in the thing and place it over the mug/pot. put as much or as little grounds in as you want. pour in boiling water. flip it upside down over a garbage can to dump everything. rinse with water.

this thing will never start giving you a stale taste like all coffee machines eventually do. i have one black Melita funnel that i've been using for 9 years that my Mom gave me and it still works great:

as for ground vs whole bean- i have both at home but at work i only have ground. the difference in taste is not really enormous but i also never have a bag survive for more than maybe 2 weeks, so i dont have grounds sitting around forever. if i'm at home and i'm not feeling lazy i'll grind up some whole bean
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

That and a grinder are all you need. Buy whole beans, grind the amount you need, and pour it into the french press with some hot water. Let it sit for a while (how long depends on how strong you like the drink) and then plunge the grinds to the bottom. Voila. :)
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I'm a french press + grinder guy as well.
My press model makes it real easy as the glass part detaches and can be placed in microwave with the water for super fast boil.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

This is the coolest coffee maker to watch ever. I prefer the coffee it makes over the french press, but I suck at not getting the grinds in my coffee. It's time consuming, but deliciously fun!

I use the pods too. It's just so easy, and I'm so lazy.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I'm not a daily coffee drinker, but I do have several a week. I usually buy mine out. When making it at home I prefer a french press also, especially if I'm only making a few cups. We have a Braun coffee maker and a Krups espresso machine, both of which are somewhere in the middle of those two companies product range. They are too much of a hassle, though, and so they rarely get used.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I've never had even a sip of coffee in my entire life.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I've never had even a sip of coffee in my entire life.
Any specific reason? Seems like a weird thing to avoid entirely.

Dude, you're straight-edge!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I look back and think it had something to do with a loose, mormon-esque upbringing during my formative pre-teen years. As odd as it sounds, I always considered coffee a "grown up" drink. The next thing ya know, I was in my mid 20's and simply never had the desire. Mentally, I have alcohol and coffee in the similar categories (something else I have never even tasted). I can only attribute that to something engrained in my head when I was younger.

Yeah, it's weird I know...

Meanwhile, I have friends that are coffeee nuts and pretty much every woman I have ever dated has been addicted to the stuff. I own a Keurig single cup thingy and a really nice Cuisinart stainless for pots of cofee when friends come over and for the holidays. I like the Keurig because it makes hot chocolate too :P
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Give in and have a cup. Even better, drop a shot of Bailey's in it... That'll pop your cherry!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Wow. Never had coffee or alcohol. That's just... wow. I got hooked on coffee in college. Something about having to be in a class at 8am on a Saturday made me overcome my distaste for the stuff and start drinking it. Quickly developed a taste for it and viola. I'm still a cream and sugar heathen tho.

As for what I do, I have a Black & Decker or some shit under-the-cabinet coffee maker. I buy tins of ground coffee (Tim Horton's!) and have a re-usable filter that lasts awhile before I need to toss it. I'm far from a snob about making coffee, but I am picky about what coffee I like. I'm not very adventurous about it!
Spankes
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spankes »

Mr. Coffee + Folgers = good enough for me~
EQ - Spankes - Retired
Wow - Randulph
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

Spankes wrote:Mr. Coffee + Folgers = good enough for me~

Same for me cept i went to DE-caf, 1 12 oz cup a day.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

To be clear, my preference for the press is entirely utilitarian. To me, it's a lot less trouble to make a cup or two that way than messing with the machine, particularly considering how rare it is that I make coffee at home. When I do buy coffee, I don't fret too much about what beans I buy, and I have them ground when I buy them. I've got better things to do than grind my own. My coffee grinder hasn't been used for coffee in I don't know how long. It's been many years at least, and now it smells like an Indian restaurant.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I look back and think it had something to do with a loose, mormon-esque upbringing during my formative pre-teen years. As odd as it sounds, I always considered coffee a "grown up" drink. The next thing ya know, I was in my mid 20's and simply never had the desire. Mentally, I have alcohol and coffee in the similar categories (something else I have never even tasted). I can only attribute that to something engrained in my head when I was younger.

Yeah, it's weird I know...

Meanwhile, I have friends that are coffeee nuts and pretty much every woman I have ever dated has been addicted to the stuff. I own a Keurig single cup thingy and a really nice Cuisinart stainless for pots of cofee when friends come over and for the holidays. I like the Keurig because it makes hot chocolate too :P
I can somewhat relate. I never much cared for coffee and when I got in college booze or soda were more to my liking. That said, when I landed a job in a marketing group, coffee was an important social thing and I gave in. While I like the good stuff and don't turn it down, I could never justify it's price when there's free coffee provided by the employer.

Funny story: Before WorldCom fell apart on the evening news, Bernie Ebbers, the CEO/Crook, sent a scathing message to the entire corporation telling us that he'd hired an independent auditor to analyze the company's coffee consumption and the ratio of bags to filters used and summarized by essentially calling us coffee thieves and announcing he was removing all coffee makers from company facilities and replacing them with coffee vending machines. Two months later the coffee machines were reinstalled. What a nutcase.
- Ash
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

+

+

+

=

A happy start to every morning.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Splenda causes cancer.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

You fairies put sugar and cream in yer coffee? wtfuz!

Black, like a Trans Am.
en kærlighed småkager
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Canelek wrote:You fairies put sugar and cream in yer coffee? wtfuz!

Black, like a Trans Am.

And ice if your in a hurry.
Sick Balls!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

coffeemate and splenda?
*ewwww*

What's wrong with a little bit of sugar and milk?
Sucralose/Slenda isn't too bad I guess (and no it doesn't cause cancer).. if you don't mind the chemically taste, but coffeemate is just gross.

I usually drink good coffee black. There's a coffee shop near me where they roast the beans fresh daily.
But if it's donut shop coffee, I'll get it with milk and sugar.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Sucralose/Slenda isn't too bad I guess (and no it doesn't cause cancer)..
That we know of. Yet. But have fun being guinea pigs!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Since we're sharing :)
I started drinking coffee with my grandfather when I was about 12. We drank it black and he brewed it by boiling grounds in a pot. If you got the last cup in the pot, you got the grounds.
In Jr. High I'd have a cup of coffee with my dad before I went to school, and I'd use milk and sugar then. He drank the real cheap store brand coffee and it tasted like crap.
In High School I started buying my own coffee and went back to drinking it black. I experiment a lot with different brands and blends, and I'm a big fan of the root chicory blends.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

Aslanna wrote:
miir wrote:Sucralose/Slenda isn't too bad I guess (and no it doesn't cause cancer)..
That we know of. Yet. But have fun being guinea pigs!

ignorant if not sarcastic
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Enjoy your tumor!

--
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

Aslanna wrote:Enjoy your tumor!
i guess the former? help me out
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I like my coffee like I like my wimminz: hot, bitter, and black.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

cadalano wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Enjoy your tumor!
i guess the former? help me out
You decide. Pretend it's a Choose Your Own Adventure! Or be like the fucking Swiss I dont care!

--
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

I... have 3 coffee makers.

One is a french press.
Another makes just one cup at a time (this is super neat).
The third makes 2 to-go cups at a time and pours the coffee right into it.

And I still enjoy going out for coffee!

I think I have a problem :D
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

It's not a tumah
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

masteen wrote:I like my coffee like I like my wimminz: hot, bitter, and black.
I like my coffee like I like my women: black and with a spoon in them.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Truant wrote:
masteen wrote:I like my coffee like I like my wimminz: hot, bitter, and black.
I like my coffee like I like my women: black and with a spoon in them.
I like mine light colored, wet, warm and sweet.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i like mine ground up and boiled in a pot
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I like mine fresh. Ground and brewed as soon as possible after the beans are able to be harvested.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

My sister and her husband recently met this couple from Puerto Rico, who own a small family farm there. They grow all sorts of shit, and a few acres are planted with coffee. They brought us back a few pounds of some of the sweetest beans I've ever tasted.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

masteen wrote:My sister and her husband recently met this couple from Puerto Rico, who own a small family farm there. They grow all sorts of shit, and a few acres are planted with coffee. They brought us back a few pounds of some of the sweetest beans I've ever tasted.
Now that I'm engaged to a Puerto Rican, I'm slowly being converted to drinking coffee. However, I drink it entirely different than they do, most of the people down there tend to drink it with a lot of sugar and milk, I like mine black with maybe a pinch of splenda. I still think coffee tastes like shit, I just seem to be needing it more and more as the wedding plans progress!

Maybe I'll move away from the shithole that is N. VA to PR and become a farmer!
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Psyloche wrote:
masteen wrote:My sister and her husband recently met this couple from Puerto Rico, who own a small family farm there. They grow all sorts of shit, and a few acres are planted with coffee. They brought us back a few pounds of some of the sweetest beans I've ever tasted.
Now that I'm engaged to a Puerto Rican, I'm slowly being converted to drinking coffee. However, I drink it entirely different than they do, most of the people down there tend to drink it with a lot of sugar and milk, I like mine black with maybe a pinch of splenda. I still think coffee tastes like shit, I just seem to be needing it more and more as the wedding plans progress!

Maybe I'll move away from the shithole that is N. VA to PR and become a farmer!
Congrats on the engagement!!! I cant spell your fiance's name to save my life.. but tell her I said hi :)
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Someone google this for me since I don't drink coffee or use artificial sweetners.

Who sued Splenda for ripping off thier recipe? Equal (blue) or Sweet-n-Low (pink)?

I thought that was pretty funny.
Fuck Michigan!
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Slow brewed coffee gives a better flavor in my opinion. I try to stay away from the standard brands (Folgers, Maxwell House, etc) as I don't think they are all that good and they have a rather high acid content which kills my GERD.

Kona Coffee from Hawaii is my personal pick for buying coffee...it's a pain in the ass to find though if you don't have access to a Military base.

If you are in the south, Community coffee is a step up from Folgers and all the other swill for about the same price.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Kona is one of my favorites.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Kona is what my wife calls Jabober (our cat). It is a point of contention.
- Ash
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I drank coffee to get through college hangovers but i never really liked the stuff and haven't drank it since then. Just never liked the taste and it smells like ass to me. The wife is hooked to the stuff but I just drink green tea if I want a hot drink.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

Equal sued Splenda for using blue packets afaik. In other news, Equal (aspartame) is the probably the worst artificial sweetener on the US Market, in terms of health concerns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

sweet n low nigga pink is the only g coluh
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Kona is tasty :) I also really liked Blue Mountain (i think it was called) from Jamaica.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Blue Mountain is the best fucking coffee in the mothafuckin' world yo! When I was in Jamaica, that is all they had. Sadly, it costs about 30 bucks for 1/2 lb here in the states.

Worth every penny, imo.
en kærlighed småkager
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Because of this thread, I went out and bought a coffee grinder and some columbian coffe beans. I had my first pot this morning and it was so rich and delicious. Mmmmmm Thank you guys.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Because of this thread, I went out and bought a coffee grinder and some columbian coffe beans. I had my first pot this morning and it was so rich and delicious. Mmmmmm Thank you guys.
Your next step is to start cutting back on the coffeemate and the splenda. :)
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Because of this thread, I went out and bought a coffee grinder and some columbian coffe beans. I had my first pot this morning and it was so rich and delicious. Mmmmmm Thank you guys.
Your next step is to start cutting back on the coffeemate and the splenda. :)

I don't believe I can do that. I love the sweetness. Plus, I use Fat Free stuff, so it's great for staying in shape or losing weight. I've dropped from 206 to 180 since last September. One of the changes I made was ridding myself of sugar. Same great taste without the calories. I have much love for teh Splenda.