Green lighting, at a price.

What do you think about the world?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: Green lighting, at a price.

Post by Sylvus »

Funkmasterr wrote:While I'm not defending (or condemning) midnyte's comment, I do want to speak to your response to it.

I have said this before, and I'll say it again. Positivity and optimism are shields that people pull over their heads to cope with the fact that the world sucks and life isn't fair. That weakness is what Obama and people like him are feeding off of and taking advantage of. By all means, if you want to buy into the dream and think that somehow someone can make the injustices and wrongs of the world right, be my guest.
I'm not suggesting he should put a positive spin on anything, though I generally do. I'm an unabashed optimist, and while I'll disagree with your negativity, I'm not asking you to do anything.

I was merely pointing out to midnyte that when one says "I'm anti-being negative about everything" less than a page after saying what I quoted above, they're full of shit. This particular thread is an interesting microcosm of midnyte's whole posting history. He opens with a negative, trolling comment that is orthogonal to the issue at hand, moves on to accuse others of hypocrisy, follows up by railing against people being negative (thus illustrating his own hypocrisy) while acting like he's more enlightened than anyone else and then either invokes the spirit of the Big Picture or flees the thread.

I'm long past actually trying to debate anything with midnyte, now I just like to try and point out what a retard he is and watch his expertly choreographed routine. It's the same every time!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I use those CFLs for one reason and one reason only: I am lazy. Change an incandescent in the lights I use regularly every 3 months or every 3 YEARS? Hmm, that's a toughie!

Although I didn't recycle the 3 I've had burn out in the last 5 years.

Speaking of green lighting... anyone tried growing pot with the new LED grow lights I've seen advertised?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

masteen wrote: Speaking of green lighting... anyone tried growing pot with the new LED grow lights I've seen advertised?
I would imagine they work just as well as traditional grow lights (i think generally halogen is used), assuming they produce the same type of light/wattage. The only advantage to them being LED would be power consumption, right?
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Power consumption and less heat.
LED's put off almost no heat comparatively.
They also burn longer than we'll all be alive without needing to be replaced.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

You just broke a thermometer in my hands.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Mass Effect > Lost Odyssey
If you pirate it perhaps...
Gamers are annoyed over new Mass Effect DRM, insteading of 'phoning home' the game needs to be authenticated once but can ONLY be installed 3 times in total. However, PC upgrades trigger the game to be re-authenticated again which uses up one of your three 'chances'. Thus there have been multiple reports of users getting shafted, and EA responded by suggesting they should BUY a new copy of the game if all their activations run out.
Sounds awesome!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

LED's have a typical life of 100,000 hours. I don't know how old you are Truant, but I hope to be around for more then 12 years.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tyek wrote:LED's have a typical life of 100,000 hours. I don't know how old you are Truant, but I hope to be around for more then 12 years.
That's if you roll with your LEDs on 24/7. If you average a more realistic 8 hours a day, you're looking at 36 years and then it's a coin flip. You'd have start looking at Truant's family history and medical records to make the call.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Tyek wrote:LED's have a typical life of 100,000 hours. I don't know how old you are Truant, but I hope to be around for more then 12 years.
I'm 27, and 12 years would be about the end of my expected lifespan.

Even plants want to sleep sometimes :p
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I just picked up 3 CFLs as they were on sale for $3 each. They are GE and are rated for 5 years. And here's the good part: If they burn out before then they will replace them. The packaging says 5 years based on rated life of 4 hours per day but I don't see how they can verify that you didn't have them on 24 hours a day.

Anyway... If you buy CFLs don't buy cheap shit but instead look for those with a warranty so at least then you have an alternative if they crap out after 2 days.

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

My time is more valuable than to be wasted on warranties for items less than ~$100. Check out this novel approach... If they burn out, I'll buy more!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well then perhaps you weren't the target audience of my post!

--
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

In my experience, you get what you pay for regarding cfl's. That's not to say that there aren't low cost versions that last as long, but I've had several GE bulbs and not one has burned out, where-as all of the lesser value bulbs I've purchased have been of lesser "value". This goes back almost 6 years, including the 4w CFL by my bed. That bulb has outstood 2 moves and 3 lamps.

And for the record, the human body can deal with trace amounts of mercury, though I wouldn't recommend eating a thermometer to disprove this.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

mercury is what makes dental fillings possible. For those of you crying about mercury poisoning.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I just picked up 3 CFLs as they were on sale for $3 each. They are GE and are rated for 5 years. And here's the good part: If they burn out before then they will replace them. The packaging says 5 years based on rated life of 4 hours per day but I don't see how they can verify that you didn't have them on 24 hours a day.

Anyway... If you buy CFLs don't buy cheap shit but instead look for those with a warranty so at least then you have an alternative if they crap out after 2 days.
Seems expensive! What wattage were they?

Per my other CFL thread, I purchased ten 13W (60W equivalent) CFLs for ~$8.69 and six 23W (100W equivalent) CFLs for $8.99

At less ~$1 a CFL, rated for 10,000 hours, I'm ok if one blows out (none have).

It's been 70 days since I replaced my old bulbs. My dining room light/socket is possessed. Before the CFL, I'd blow out one normal light bulb every 30-45 days. If any of my CFLs are going to fail, that would be the one to go first.

On the other hand, per the article I linked above, there are different color temperatures to consider so when buying CFL's, you might experiment first to see which you like as they tend not to give off as yellowish a light as the older bulbs.

As Fash mentioned, I'm too lazy for warranties except on things like projectors or other high end electronics. I haven't even sent off for my $100 rebate on the Instinct yet.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
laneela wrote:
Sylvus wrote:what's the opposite of green?)
Red.

I'm noticing a trend on Midnyte's part. In the last week, he's been anti- conserving energy, trying to lower poverty levels and giving people another healthcare option - in other words, he's anti- being a good person.

edit: in fairness, I'm basing my opinions of Midnyte on the thread titles and people's reactions to his posts since for the last glorious week or so, I've had him blocked.
Wrong again. I'm anti-being negative about everything. Every election cycle it's about telling everyone how horrible everything is and how they can fix it. Yet, things aren't horrible. So many wonderful things are going on and never emphasized. Way too much time is being spent on the wrong and way too little time being spent on the right.

The best way to describe what I'm talking about is the new McDonalds commercial talking about what a great country this is. Problem is the punchline is a fucking chicken sammich.
No the best way to describe what you are talking about is:

ooooo oo ooo aaaa aaa aaa oooooo oooo

I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

haha!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:I just picked up 3 CFLs as they were on sale for $3 each. They are GE and are rated for 5 years. And here's the good part: If they burn out before then they will replace them. The packaging says 5 years based on rated life of 4 hours per day but I don't see how they can verify that you didn't have them on 24 hours a day.
Just lost one of them! It got nowhere near the life I was expecting. Even if I left it on 20 hours a day, which I didn't, should have at least gotten a year out of it! Now to see if I want to go through the bother of getting a replacement.

--
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

You have bad wiring in your house. How dare you!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

When we moved last year, we replaced all of the incandescent lighting fixtures in and outside of the house because the old ones were hideous. I took that opportunity to replace every light with CFLs. Well, almost every one. I missed one in the attic, and didn't replace the one in the stove hood or refrigerator. I've not had any go out in the 9+ months we've had them, although I did have two that were dead out of the box. I've got a bin in the garage for holding burned-out CFLs to keep them until my town's annual hazardous materials collection day. I've been very pleased with them so far. My only real complaint is with my ceiling fans. The light fixtures in them use candelabra base bulbs, and at the time that I bought the lights, they didn't have "instant-on" candelabra lights at Lowes. The warm-up time on them is a little annoying, but it's just the fans so it doesn't drive me too crazy.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I use CFLs in fixtures that are indoors, and that are on more than 15-20 minutes a day.

Lights that get turned on and off "a lot", like a bathroom light aren't good candidates as the on-off cycles are what causes a CFL to dim and fail prematurely. Lights that get turned on and left on for extended periods are good candidates.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

My parents have them in all the fixtures in their house. Indoors they seem almost too bright, they annoy me in places like the dinner table where there is a light fixture at eye level. Then in his garage, they don't seem to light the room up anywhere near as much as regular bulbs, when I was there the other day working on my car I was having trouble seeing stuff.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Libs will whine about anything! wow!

waaaa my electric car hums a litttle...waaaa...my recycled toilet paper scratches my ass...waaaaaaa
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I see no whining. The only thing I see is a troll trolling. Badly.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I made an entire post on CFL lights with comparisons. I'll find the link later.

I had one go out. I didn't cry about it.

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 25&t=22612

I have CFLs in my bathroom as well where the lights are switched on and off frequently with zero issues. The only light that went out was the one in my possessed dining room socket that blew through standard lights on a monthly basis so not a surprice...it still lasted 4+ months which is 3X what normal bulbs last in it.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Then in his garage, they don't seem to light the room up anywhere near as much as regular bulbs...
They're temperature sensitive, in cooler weather they don't put out nearly as much light as in warm-hot weather.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aabidano wrote:
Then in his garage, they don't seem to light the room up anywhere near as much as regular bulbs...
They're temperature sensitive, in cooler weather they don't put out nearly as much light as in warm-hot weather.
So in MN they work well for about 4 months out of the year? Sweet!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Well, indoors it should be an issue assuming you're heating your home. Places like garages are iffy if you don't have a climate controlled garage. I don't know about in MN, but back in Nebraska that seemed to be a matter of whether your home was built in the last 30 years or so. Outdoors, they'll probably not perform that great on some cold days. I have them outside in the fixtures by the exterior doors and in the ceiling fan on our patio. Here in Alabama when it got down into the low teens this winter, I couldn't notice any drop-off in their performance. I don't know what the lower threshold is, but I'm sure you'll definitely encounter it outdoors up there.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xatrei wrote:Well, indoors it should be an issue assuming you're heating your home. Places like garages are iffy if you don't have a climate controlled garage. I don't know about in MN, but back in Nebraska that seemed to be a matter of whether your home was built in the last 30 years or so. Outdoors, they'll probably not perform that great on some cold days. I have them outside in the fixtures by the exterior doors and in the ceiling fan on our patio. Here in Alabama when it got down into the low teens this winter, I couldn't notice any drop-off in their performance. I don't know what the lower threshold is, but I'm sure you'll definitely encounter it outdoors up there.
Yeah I don't think heated garages are too common here, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.. But the lower threshold here is like 20 below or so, haha.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah I don't think heated garages are too common here, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.. But the lower threshold here is like 20 below or so, haha.
Yeah. I meant the lower threshold for the bulbs having a performance drop-off. I never really thought of our winters in Nebraska as being that bad, but I hated when I had to travel to Wisconsin or Minnesota during the winter heh. Luckily, it's been almost 10 years since I had to go that far north in the winter hehe. My garage down here has heat & AC, but I close the vents because it seems dumb to me to spend the energy heating or cooling that space, especially with our leaky builders-grade garage doors. It gets a little toasty in there on really hot summer days, so I might open the vents if I happen to be working in there.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xatrei wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah I don't think heated garages are too common here, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.. But the lower threshold here is like 20 below or so, haha.
Yeah. I meant the lower threshold for the bulbs having a performance drop-off. I never really thought of our winters in Nebraska as being that bad, but I hated when I had to travel to Wisconsin or Minnesota during the winter heh. Luckily, it's been almost 10 years since I had to go that far north in the winter hehe. My garage down here has heat & AC, but I close the vents because it seems dumb to me to spend the energy heating or cooling that space, especially with our leaky builders-grade garage doors. It gets a little toasty in there on really hot summer days, so I might open the vents if I happen to be working in there.
I see.

Yeah it would be nice to have the heat/air in the garage. We made a offer on a house, and if we get it - the garage is already sheetrocked and insulated so getting heat in there won't be much work, will make working on cars and such in the winter a lot less miserable.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Sylvus wrote:A thermometer has 100x as much mercury in it, and you probably had one or two of those in your house growing up. I think you'll be ok.
in ur butt thats what u meant lol LOL
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

MIDNYTE IS RIGHT Image
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Well Fuck,

I bought a three pack of LED lights that were supposed to be the equivalent of 60W each at Costco for 18.99. 4W each power requirements.

I must have left them in the cart in the parking lot. The already really expensive LED lights will be extra expensive after I get over being pissed at myself and buy them again.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

China is also one of the worlds largest producers of rare earth metals, like mercury, used in the production of ballast driven light sources (fluorescent, metal halide, etc). So, CFL lighting supports communism and low standard work conditions. Fucking commie pinko bastard!