American Beer - Best Beer

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

American Beer - Best Beer

Post by Winnow »

Come over and drink some real beer Euros!

http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/424975
The idea of weak American suds is being laid to rest by the boom in indie ales, stouts and pilsners
May 14, 2008
Josh Rubin
Beer Reporter

Ask most people where the best beer in the world comes from, and they'll probably say Germany or England. More worldly folks might mention Belgium.

But ask a beer aficionado these days, and odds are you'll get an answer that might surprise you – the good old U.S.A.

Just as wines from Napa Valley, Sonoma County and Oregon are giving bordeaux, burgundy and barolo a run for their money, breweries from California to New York are proving they can make some of the best suds in the world. And they're not just copies of the old European originals. While American craft brewers have proven themselves no slouches at styles such as pilsners, pale ales and stouts, they've also created some of their own, often bold styles.

"U.S. craft beer is probably the most diverse and interesting brewing scene in the world," beer aficionado Cass Enright said at a recent dinner in Toronto at the Academy of Spherical Arts to celebrate the Ontario launch of Southern Tier Brewing's India Pale Ale.

Over the past few decades, the U.S. beer scene has exploded. In 1978, there were just 42 breweries across the U.S. In 2007, there were 1,449.

"You can find just about anything being made. They've taken the best of every kind of style and put their own twist on it,'' says Enright, founder of bartowel.com, a site for local beer connoisseurs.

At Bar Volo the next night, Southern Tier founder Phin De Mink and his brewer, Paul Cain, were mobbed by local beer fans.

"We were shocked," says De Mink, whose five-year-old brewery is about an hour's drive south of Buffalo.

"When we started shipping our beer up here, it was just for small private orders. We didn't really think that many people even knew what Southern Tier was."

At both Toronto events, De Mink was peppered with questions about when more products – including the highly respected Choklat imperial stout – will be available north of the border. (Answer: Choklat will be sold through private import agent Roland and Russell, rolandandrussell.com, in November.)

It's not just beer enthusiasts who are falling in love with American brews. Toronto-area restaurants and bars are stocking an increasing number of beers from south of the 49th parallel. At Volo, owner Ralph Morana has 29. Beerbistro, which recently increased its cellar space, offers about 50 American beers.

Among the U.S. beers available at Beerbistro are the so-called double IPAs or imperial India pale ales. They're a bolder, hoppier American take on a classic English beer designed to withstand the long boat voyages to the subcontinent. Dogfish Head, whose 60-Minute IPA is coming to the LCBO later this summer, has two hoppier versions called 90-Minute and 120-Minute. Both are selling well at Beerbistro.

But the super-hoppy beer trend has its detractors, even among some American brewers. "Can you imagine a chef saying, `This is the saltiest stew you've ever tried, and you're not a real man if you don't like it?' That's what some of these breweries are doing," says Garrett Oliver, brewmaster of the Brooklyn Brewery in New York.

Oliver, whose flagship Brooklyn Lager has been available at the LCBO since last year, makes an IPA more in keeping with the original English style. He also brews a bottle-conditioned Belgian ale, which will be on sale at the LCBO some time in the next year. Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, a rich, strong imperial stout, will be part of the LCBO's seasonal program this winter.

While the bolder beers are some of the more popular American brews on offer at Beerbistro, they're not the only ones people ask for.

"The Americans are hop-heads, but there's a lot more variety than just IPAs," says Morin, pointing to Dogfish Head's Chateau Jiahu, a delicate brew that includes rice, honey and hawthorn berries.

Even the LCBO is starting to surf the American wave. It recently added four beers – Southern Tier IPA, Dogfish Head 60-Minute IPA, Rogue Dead Guy Ale and Anchor Steam Beer – to the general list. Several more have been added on a seasonal basis.

"Our overall plan is to continue to focus on ultra-premium products, and craft beer – from Ontario and elsewhere – definitely falls in that category," says Leanne Rhee, the LCBO's category manager for beer.

Still, craft beer fans shouldn't expect to see beer from smaller but highly touted U.S. brewers, such as Wisconsin's New Glarus, or Indiana brewery Three Floyds, renowned for its Dark Lord imperial stout. Many are still building a following in their home markets, says Rhee.

Another obstacle for some breweries is the LCBO's regulations, including specific requirements for labels, packaging and rigorous testing at the LCBO's lab.

Smaller breweries, such as Buffalo's Flying Bison, don't have the technical or financial ability to change their packaging.

"It really doesn't make any sense for me to do it. It's not worth it,'' says Flying Bison brewer Tim Herzog.

Despite the new additions, Rhee admits the LCBO's stock doesn't go far enough. "We'd definitely like to have more American beer. Our customers are asking for it."
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: American Beer - Best Beer

Post by Funkmasterr »

I honestly can't wrap my mind around how anyone could enjoy drinking half the beers I've tasted. People call it an acquired taste, but that seems ridiculous to me, cause how can it be good if you had to "acquire" a taste for it.

I had a pilsner urqel (or however you spell it) last night and couldn't even force myself to finish it because it tasted like absolute shit. Grain Belt Premium is my favorite, Mich golden is another I'll drink.. You can keep the nasty bitter shit :)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

This space reserved for Nick's inevitable comment about Americans in general and Funk in particular, then 2 or 3 posts from Americans including Funk calling him a leprechaun, and then Nick's sarcastic reply that ends with a general statement about the xenophobia he experiences on this board.

Oh, and your lucky numbers: 7, 9, 31, 33, 34, 42
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:This space reserved for Nick's inevitable comment about Americans in general and Funk in particular, then 2 or 3 posts from Americans including Funk calling him a leprechaun, and then Nick's sarcastic reply that ends with a general statement about the xenophobia he experiences on this board.

Oh, and your lucky numbers: 7, 9, 31, 33, 34, 42
:lol: :lol:

I was expecting to get shit about my taste (or lack of) in beer, but I guess I didn't think it would be nick that I would get it from. You may be right, though!
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i got this

pilsner urquell? yeah man i dont blame you- i had a sip of that hardcore pilsner urquell stuff and what was left of my mincy faggot penis just about shriveled up into nothingness. seriously that pilsner urquell, man, that shit is TOO INTENSE. that pilsner urquell.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

cadalano wrote:i got this

pilsner urquell? yeah man i dont blame you- i had a sip of that hardcore pilsner urquell stuff and what was left of my mincy faggot penis just about shriveled up into nothingness. seriously that pilsner urquell, man, that shit is TOO INTENSE. that pilsner urquell.
interesting, direct corelation between taste in beer + penis size? GIVE THE MAN A MEDAL
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

People have different tastes. The beers you like are beers that I find disgusting. Taste is subjective, though. I can barely gag down a raisin, but lots of people love them. That's not good or bad, it's just a matter of different tastes. I never had to acquire a taste for rich, hoppy beers. I liked them the moment I tasted them, and after experiencing what is, to me, a good beer, I could never go back to drinking a less flavorful beer.

I would tend to agree with the article. Mass market stuff aside, the smaller breweries are really producing products that are as good, or better, as anything you'll find in more traditional "beer countries."
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

hahahahaha man i was just poking fun. lets settle our differences over a nice wine cooler
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

My friends and I are going to get the Sam Adams home-brew kit and try making our own recipe :D
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

cadalano wrote:hahahahaha man i was just poking fun. lets settle our differences over a nice wine cooler
deal
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fash wrote:My friends and I are going to get the Sam Adams home-brew kit and try making our own recipe :D
That could be interesting, you'll have to let me know how that turns out!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

When I was younger I couldn't stand the taste of beer. I would gag at it. But then I got in college, and peer pressure alone was enough for me to learn to tolerate it. Foster's with lime was how I weened myself onto beer. Now, being much older and a bit wiser, I actually enjoy the taste, although a bad beer is still a bad beer. The stereotype of bad American beer is a well earned one IMO. There have always been smaller companies making good beer, but the larger brewers that have a stranglehold on the market make absolute shit. Budweiser, Coors, Miller, etc, etc... they rightly earned the stereotype and scorn. And no, I don't think Canadian beers are made of ambrosia and puppy dog tears. Labatt and Molson are crap as well, although they do have some ok brands under their corporate wing.

If I want to really enjoy a beer, 9 times out of 10 I'll go with a European brew.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

American mass produced beers are just different than what you Frenchies are used to. It just makes them bad to you because you are used to a diferent taste.....kind of like how France likes surrendering instead of fighting. Sticking in and winning would just be wrong for them. But then what do I know.... I only drink Zima.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

I had a stint there where I would only drink Pete's Wicked, but now...

Guiness at the clubs.
Hieneken if they dont have Guiness.
And when I really want good beer, Spatan Munchen.

So there ya have it. All Eropeen beers.

Das est mien Bier.
Sick Balls!
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Just curious since I'm no beer connoisseur, where does Yuengling fall in with the rest of the American beers? I've gone from the high school drink anything you can find phase; to college drink the cheap coors, miller lite, or bud light; to going between Presidente, Yeungling and Heineken in that order by preference/availability. I think they taste vastly different than the old beers I used to drink and still can't be bothered to drink really dark beers like Guiness.

I've definitely given darker beers plenty of tries and just don't find them to my liking, most are way too bitter for my tastes. I also generally hate most asian beers as I just think they taste awful.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Psyloche wrote:Just curious since I'm no beer connoisseur, where does Yuengling fall in with the rest of the American beers? I've gone from the high school drink anything you can find phase; to college drink the cheap coors, miller lite, or bud light; to going between Presidente, Yeungling and Heineken in that order by preference/availability. I think they taste vastly different than the old beers I used to drink and still can't be bothered to drink really dark beers like Guiness.
Well, Yuengling was my drink for a long time.. I think it changed, went commercial, and isn't as good anymore. Stegmaier 150 is a much better Lager from this area, if you can find it.

Guinness is such a good time... It's like a glass of black milk!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dregor Thule wrote:When I was younger I couldn't stand the taste of beer. I would gag at it. But then I got in college, and peer pressure alone was enough for me to learn to tolerate it. Foster's with lime was how I weened myself onto beer. Now, being much older and a bit wiser, I actually enjoy the taste, although a bad beer is still a bad beer.
Man, replace beer with "throat yogurt" and I bet a lot of women could plagiarize that paragraph for their own stories!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

The amount of new micro-brewers are impressive. There is a restaurant not too far from my old condo that made their own brews. Usually five selections where two of the five rotated on the season. J.J. Bitting in Woodbridge, NJ. Just a converted train station turned brewery/steak place. Pretty big fan of the cherry-wheat variety. Although, as heavy as Guinness looks, it's actually a very easy drinking beer. Quite good. If I'm cost conscience, it's yuengling lager.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

This beer by Dogfish Head Brewery (Delaware) is one of my favorite. It's a bit expensive, but 8% abv makes it a fair buy since most beers are 4-5%. Most stores don't carry it though, so I usually go for New Belgium Brewery (Colorado), Deschutes, or Rogue (both from Oregon) .
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Can people outside of Michigan get Bell's out of Kalamazoo, MI?

Oberon tastes like Jesus took a bath in it. In a good way.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Not just beer. Stunt Juice.

The Steel Reserve logo is a stylized number 211, which aside from being an ancient symbol for steel, is also the penal code # for armed robbery. It’s likely that steel reserve has been the inspiration for many a convenience store jacking. Poor judgment and personal injury are notoriously correlated with the consumption of Steel Reserve. The drink’s harsh flavor effectively masks the high alcohol content, leaving the drinker confused as to how much he has actually consumed. Even experienced drinkers get into trouble when partying with the 2-1-1.
from the urban dictionary
Sick Balls!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

"You can find just about anything being made. They've taken the best of every kind of style and put their own twist on it,'' says Enright, founder of bartowel.com, a site for local beer connoisseurs.

At Bar Volo the next night, Southern Tier founder Phin De Mink and his brewer, Paul Cain, were mobbed by local beer fans.
So, if I ask an American where the best beer in the world is from, he'll tell me America? OMFG, hold the presses!
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Best whiskey in the world currently comes from Japan according to the news. What exactly does geography have to do with anything? I wasn't aware that deliciousness needed a passport.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Best to stay away from green-bottled beer as a rule. Light directly effects how beer ages and "goes bad" next to radical tmperature changes. Most Canadian and European imports that are in green bottles will taste rather horrid.
en kærlighed småkager
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Niffoni wrote:Best whiskey in the world currently comes from Japan according to the news. What exactly does geography have to do with anything? I wasn't aware that deliciousness needed a passport.
According to which news? I've had Santori and a few other japanese brands, and none of them hold a candle to the good scottish ones. It's possible that compared to other mass market brands, they might do well - but I'm not going to go through a tasting of watered down-lowest common denominator-boozes to test it out!

And the same goes for beer. Most of the european beer that's available for sale in the US are massmarket products (like Heiniken, Carlsberg etc), and they are a lot better than the US equivalents - Budweiser, Coors and what have you. When you get into micro-/ small breweries you get a lot more variation, but that goes for everywhere. There're some great danish microbrews, some great french (!) ones, some amazing US ones.

It's hardly fair to compare US microbrew to Euro massbrew, or vice versa. Apples and apples, oranges and oranges, please!
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

I have brewed my own beer. It can be a lot of fun. I have brewed some that I like a lot but others didn't. My most popular was a dark, chocolate flavored recipe. I didn't like it personally but my neighbor who never drinks beer (more of a wine snob) absolutely loved it and is always begging me to make more of it.

I myself hate overly hoppy beers. We have a micro brewery near us that is really popular but they use way too many hops. I can't finish a glass of their beer.

As for the rise in American beers. I think it has more to do with the distributors. I know in Wisconsin there is a law that says that wine and beer can only be sold through a distributor. If they don't want to stock it then you can't sell it. It can be difficult to find a distributor who will take your small 1000 gallon stock. It is very difficult for a small brewery or winery to compete in that case.
Deward
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

This is what I normally grab when I am near one of the few places around here that stock it. At 8.2% vol. alc., I don't drink too much at a time :P

Schneider Aventinus
Dark-ruby, almost black-colored and streaked with fine top-fermenting yeast, this beer has a compact and persistent head. This is a very intense wheat doppelbock with a complex spicy chocolate-like arome with a hint of banana and raisins. On the palate, you experience a soft touch and on the tongue it is very rich and complex, though fresh with a hint of caramel. It finishes in a rich soft and lightly bitter impression.

Dark-ruby colored, wheat doppelbock
Complex spicy chocolate arome
Pure top-fermenting yeast
Original bottle fermentation
Created in 1907
Creator: Mathilde Schneider

If I can't find that, I try to grab one of the few green bottles that don't taste skunky:

Spaten Oktoberfest Beer
Our Oktoberfest Beer, created in 1872, is the world's first Oktoberfest beer, brewed for the greatest folk festival in the world. Every year, over and over again, countless Oktoberfest visitors share their enthusiasm about this beer.

Flavor profile: Amber in color. This medium bodied beer has achieved its impeccable taste by balancing the roasted malt flavor with the perfect amount of hops. Having a rich textured palate with an underlying sweetness true to tradition.

Original gravity: 13.7 %
Alcohol content: 5.9 %
Available as 12 oz. 12-pack, 12 oz. 6-pack, 16.9 oz. single bottle and 50 liter keg.

If I go with a US bear, it is normally Shiner Bock.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Shiner Bock (bok) <3

I drink the original (a lot) and several of their other lines. I pick up some of their anniversary beer every year as well. It's a different brew completely each year. Going to go tour the brewery in November, excited about that. Their distributorship has been expanding and you can find it in more and more states now.

I also have been enjoying the Sam Adams Brewmaster collections.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Ahhh Boogy is a fellow Spaten drinker!~
Sick Balls!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:This is what I normally grab when I am near one of the few places around here that stock it. At 8.2% vol. alc., I don't drink too much at a time :P
Dark-ruby colored, wheat doppelbock

Doppelbocks! I soloed one of them in EQ!
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Spaten Optimator
The classic German dark beer, bottom fermented 'Doppel Bock'.

Flavor profile: Full bodied with a deep dark color and rich roasted malt flavor.
Original gravity: 18, 2 %
Alcohol content: 7,2 %

Available as 12 oz. 12-pack, 12 oz. 6-pack, 16.9 oz. single bottle and 30 liter keg.
I soloed a few while playing eq.
Sick Balls!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Noysyrump wrote:Ahhh Boogy is a fellow Spaten drinker!~
hey now, I mentioned Spaten Brau awhile back! That's my beer!

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... en#p382358

(scroll down a ways on the thread)

Re:

Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:
Niffoni wrote:Best whiskey in the world currently comes from Japan according to the news. What exactly does geography have to do with anything? I wasn't aware that deliciousness needed a passport.
According to which news? I've had Santori and a few other japanese brands, and none of them hold a candle to the good scottish ones. It's possible that compared to other mass market brands, they might do well - but I'm not going to go through a tasting of watered down-lowest common denominator-boozes to test it out!

Couldn't find the old BBC article but I think this is the prize I read about.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Sam Adams Summer Ale is tasty btw.

It's from the Brewmaster's collection, so it's seasonal, and harder to find, but worth it.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I agree.

After a few of 'em, it starts tasting like lemonade.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

For normal everyday consumption I enjoy the Miller Chill. But, when I want to really taste my beer and get a little silly, then I prefer an IPA (60 - 90min).
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Yuengling is still my beer of choice and has been since I started drinking. It's the "oldest" beer in America and is a solid Lager. I can't bring myself to try the other brands that they (Yuengling) has put out on the market in the recent years. If I can't find a Yuengling where I am since it's not all over the country, I will grab myself a Heiny.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

As good as I think many American beers are, the current contents of my refrigerator do not reflect that belief: 4 Newcastle Brown Ale, 4 Warsteiner Premium Verum, 5 Harp Lager. The last American brew that I had here was some Anchor Steam Beer that I finished off a month or so ago. I don't drink much these days, so it will take me a couple months to consume these.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've got a 12 pack of Fat Tire in my fridge atm. Lately I've been mixing it up trying out more brands.

Make that 11, no 10, 9.. I have a handful of Fate Tire Amber Ale in my fridge.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

I guess I could just go all Local on your asses with how good Our Beer is! But that would be unfair.
Sick Balls!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yuengling is, and always will be, my goto choice of beer. DC is still close enough to Pottsville, PA where it is brewed, so its still fresh bottled shit down here. America's oldest brewery...hell, they still have to use special trucks (ie. smaller) when doing deliveries too and from the factory because of the old school wood covered bridges you must traverse to get to the brewery...although, I've heard the state is "upgrading" to modern steel and concrete bridges :)

Now, if I'm in an area where it would seem that the beer is less known, and could possible sit for a while, or have temperature swings in delivery/storage/etc before it is served, I'll drink something else.

Personally, I think Yuengling is just an american brewed German recipe that came over with the founder of that company, and hasn't changed, and never found the need too. I may of course change my opinion of they ever open another brewery outside of Pottsville, and start having TV commercials, then I'll move on. Dogfish sells well around here, and they have all their different brews available at the supermarket. Its also good beer, but far too expensive. Yuengling is still cheap!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Kluden wrote:...I may of course change my opinion of they ever open another brewery outside of Pottsville, and start having TV commercials, then I'll move on...
They have a brewery somewhere in Florida, but I forget where. I know the Yuengling that's sold here is brewed there. I've had the Traditional Lager and a couple of their other products a few times over the years, both when traveling in the PA area, as well as from stores and restaurants elsewhere. It's OK, and definitely better than a most of the domestics in the same price range, but nothing I'd personally go out of my way to have.

Edit: Looked it up to confirm. Their second brewery is in Tampa, and was an old Stroh's plant that they bought in 1999. They also constructed a third Brewery near the original.
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Yuengling is one of the things I miss about living in the DC area. Tuppers Hop Pocket being another East Coast beer I miss greatly. Old Dominion is a great brewery. If you're in DC, check out The Brickskeller, although they don't typically have beers on tap.

I've recently been gravitating to the Belgian Style beers of late, and IPAs, athough these are far from macro-style beers. New Belium is just up the road and they just opened a Mountain Sun brew pub walking distance from where I work. Woohoo! Avery makes some great beers, and Great Divide also does beer well.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I really enjoyed Yuengling when I spent time in NYC. It is nice to know that "American Beer" is strictly the mass-produced swill that is advertised incessantly. Every year, there are more and more small breweries popping up. Not all are gerat, but it is refreshing to see a new brewpub or local brewery emerge that crafts a product that speaks for itself, and does not need to be hollered over the airwaves or pasted to the sides of public transit.
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Xatrei...you have ruined my life with that information. I just wanted you to know...down is now up, out is now in...my world is backwards! I just pray the yeungling in the DC area is Pottsville, PA brewed and bottled...I pray.

I guess I should rephrase now in light of that information: once it starts tasting different, I'll switch.
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Vodka is the best beer!