New Zombie Flicks from Romero

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

New Zombie Flicks from Romero

Post by Deward »

George Romero has made two more B-class zombie flicks.

Diary of The Dead - Watched it. Worth a download and decent special affects. Some supremely annoying parts to it. Worth seeing if you are a zombie fan but I don't know if I would buy it.

Day of the Dead - billed as a remake but has no relation to the original. Actually stars Mena Suvari and Ving Rhames. Trailer looks decent. http://www.movieweb.com/news/12/15312.php

Being that the zombie genre is my favorite, I will likely buy both of these on DVD. Both of these were low budget, straight to video movies.
Deward
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: New Zombie Flicks from Romero

Post by Canelek »

I enjoyed Diary of the Dead quite a bit. I do not think I will bother with the Day' "remake". Granted the original Day of the Dead was not great by any means. Just kind of sick of seeing films that have 0 to do with the originals billed as remakes. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I had to check, because I watched a zombie flick with Xou and his special lady friend that had Ving Rhames in it.

I thought it was a "... of the Dead" remake. Took place in a mall. Anyways, wasn't the same movie.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Truant wrote:I had to check, because I watched a zombie flick with Xou and his special lady friend that had Ving Rhames in it.

I thought it was a "... of the Dead" remake. Took place in a mall. Anyways, wasn't the same movie.
Dawn of the Dead?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'll pick em up. Although, I'm getting a little sick of the "Blair Witch" style of film making.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, that was the Dawn' "remake". They just took a few elements, scant though they were. It was nothing like the Romero classic, not even close.

However, it was quite an enjoyable movie! I recommend it, although it should never had been billed as a remake! I can understand the name recognition bit though, as far as promoting/marketing goes.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I'll pick em up. Although, I'm getting a little sick of the "Blair Witch" style of film making.
Understandable. However, Diary of the Dead just works better from the handcam perspective. Romero had been working on the film for quite some time, unless I am mistaken. Granted, the film does not predate 'Blair witch', but it is not another gimmick film. Good stuff, if you enjoy somewhat low budget fun zombie flicks.
en kærlighed småkager
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Watched Day of the Dead (2008) last night. Not a bad zombie flick. It is different from the traditional Zombie in several ways. First the Zombies are quicker. And in some cases more intelligent. There were some pretty bad lines in parts but nothing that most people haven't seen in a B-grade flick before. I would (and probably will) watch it several more times. Surprisingly, I think Nick Cannon is the best actor in this one. Some of the scenes with mena and her brother or mena and bud were just god awful writing.

One of the better zombie movies over all. If you are a zombie genre fan then you will like it. If you aren't then you probably won't. For Zombie fans, 8/10. For non-zombie fans, I would say 3/10.
Deward
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I was alright with the movie over all because I took it for what it is - a B rated Zombie flick. What I take exception to is the use of the name and any link however remote to Romero's name. This movie was nothing like his flicks. Another thing that bothered me was the use of Ving Rhames. He survived Dawn of the Dead - at least he made it to the end of the movie. To use him in this and not have it be a sequel where is the same character was purely for the sake of putting a name on the box to draw people in. That really pissed me off. All in all an alright concept and twist on the genre. I'd give it more of a 6.5/10 though. I can see this being on Sci Fi on a Saturday night.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Diary of the Dead just wasn't that good IMO. The acting was fair to poor and the movie was predictable from beginning to end. Yes, it was absolutely more like a Sci Fi channel movie, and that's not a good comparison. I think this is the lowest budgest movie I own, or at least in the top 5.

5/10 for decent zombie kills, although there wasn't a single scare to be found.