Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Re: Captian America: The First Avenger

Post by Aardor »

noel wrote:Agreed.
I'm going to picture Bucky every time funkmaster posts, going forward.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Speaking of Bucky, in Kwon's post with the 5 pics of 'Captain America' the third pic is actually Bucky.

Seconding the request for a mod to change the thread title. ><

<3 Cap.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I was joking about that because I doubt DeCaprio would ever play a sidekick in the first movie but if they went "Winter Soldier" in the second he'd have a better role. The fact that they're going to give Cap a more Ultimate Universe look might also mean Bucky will be looking a little less Robinish.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Winnow wrote:Leonardo might make a good Bucky, Cap's sidekick:

Even Bucky got more muscles than Leonardo DeCaff.

Leonardo is the epitome of a skinnyfat fatbody. Shouldn't be playing any kind of superhero.

Superheroes have muscles due to their , you know, physical activities, lifting, running, punching baddies and whatnot.

Leonardo looks like someone who has never worked out in his life. Just a lanky fat-fella.

What villain is Leo gonna intimidate with that babyface?

Casting Leo in the Cap America-movie would be a failure.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

There's this thing actors do called working out where they bulk up for movie roles. The studio hires personal trainers for them.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Lynks wrote:There's this thing actors do called working out where they bulk up for movie roles. The studio hires personal trainers for them.
You're 100% correct. That will not however change the fact that DiCaprio has the wrong hair, facial structure, and overall body-type to play Captain America. You can work out all you want, but it's not going to change your overall body-type.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I was just pointing out that dismissing someone for a role in which they don't have the physical build for is wrong because people can change their body types.

I don't think DiCaprio, Pitt, or Mcconaughey are right for the role. The blond guy from American Gladiators could be him! Also, I think Sean Bean looks like a perfect Thor!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Lynks wrote:I was just pointing out that dismissing someone for a role in which they don't have the physical build for is wrong because people can change their body types.

I don't think DiCaprio, Pitt, or Mcconaughey are right for the role. The blond guy from American Gladiators could be him! Also, I think Sean Bean looks like a perfect Thor!
Agreed.

Is Leo even tall enough for that? Then again they make Tom Cruise look taller than he actually is in most of his movies.
According to Kwon's definition of Leo...I want to be as fat as Leo.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

I think Karl Urban, with blonde hair, would be who I would cast as Captain America.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Is there any possibility at all this wont just be a total AMERICA FUCK YEAH shitfest of the most epic proportions?

I'm genuinely asking out of interest, since my comic knowledge is minimal.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Probably not. Like Momopi said, the source material is a seriously limiting factor, unless they set the entire movie during the 1940s and focus on the WW2 era origin storyline. Anything else will come off offensive to someone or just not make for an interesting storyline. Captain America wailing on Nazis and battling the Red Skull would be a workable and entertaining movie, in a golden age of comics kind of way. I don't think you can modernize his story at all without pissing people off or even having it work like the Iron Man story did. I think Thor is going to be a bit of a stretch too, but at least they have something to work with there.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If you want a great idea of what a WW II Captain America movie would be like, read the first three issues of The Ultimates Volume One found here:

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 33&t=13515

Actually issue 1 and 3 pertain to Captain America but it's an excellent series all the way through.

Cap might look something like this in WW II era movie:

Ultimate Captain America is a bad ass: (hidden due to large images)
[Show]

Surrender?
[Show]

Cap does not surrender! (turn down your volume)

http://capdoesntsurrender.ytmnd.com/
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Jice Virago wrote:Probably not. Like Momopi said, the source material is a seriously limiting factor, unless they set the entire movie during the 1940s and focus on the WW2 era origin storyline. Anything else will come off offensive to someone or just not make for an interesting storyline. Captain America wailing on Nazis and battling the Red Skull would be a workable and entertaining movie, in a golden age of comics kind of way. I don't think you can modernize his story at all without pissing people off or even having it work like the Iron Man story did. I think Thor is going to be a bit of a stretch too, but at least they have something to work with there.
They could have his origin story take place in WW2, then when he is frozen (or whatever they decide to do) and awakens in modern times, they can use his "WW2" persona as social commentary on the state of America now, seen through the eyes of an unjaded man from that time. He is the symbol of everything great about America, so he could be used to contrast where we've gone wrong. I think they have a lot to work with given the current political climate in this country. They wouldn't even have to be overly preachy about it, just having him awaken in modern times would present lots of opportunity to show how the ideals have been perverted during the last 60ish years.

Just my 2 cents.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

That's pretty much how he is anyway. He is an unjaded man from a different time.

Also, the two frame picture I posted is typical of Cap. He's more concerned with the American people and the American dream than allowing the flag to represent or participate in the bullshit it gets used for these days. I think it would be fair to say that he works toward the goals of America as they were stated during the creation of our nation and not whatever regime happens to be in power at any given time.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I like to picture Cap as the version that's in the first issue of Civil War. Busting out of an impossible situation while at the same time telling the pilot to watch his potty mouth and then buying him a beer when they land.

He never kills for the hell of it or to excess and understands the difference between the common soldier and the leaders making the decisions.

Interesting quote from Cap.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Jice Virago wrote:I think Karl Urban, with blonde hair, would be who I would cast as Captain America.
That works.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger

The projected release date is May of 2011 and that is looking to be one hell of a month for movies. Spiderman 4 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II are both set to open the same month. It's a long way off and time slots change frequently, but if it stays as is, Captain America will be against some very stiff box office competition.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Casting will be EVERYTHING for this title.
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The projected release date is May of 2011 and that is looking to be one hell of a month for movies. Spiderman 4 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II are both set to open the same month. It's a long way off and time slots change frequently, but if it stays as is, Captain America will be against some very stiff box office competition.
There's no way Marvel will pit two of it's own superhero movies against each other. At worst it will be an Iron Man/Hulk type separation between movie releases.

I still can't believe it takes so long to make movies. 3 years. Crazy. Wolverine, Thor and Avengers coming out before that? I know the timeline was posted somewhere.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Hard to say if it'll come to fruition, but a rumor is circulating that Will Smith has been offered the part of Captain America.

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/?p=3188

Thoughts?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Captain America isn't black.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

There's no need to change every hero into a black version.

There's got to be at least one worthy white actor out there that can play the part. Next thing you'll be seeing a black George Washington (not Carver, the 1st president)

I don't mind race changes for heroes in general although I think most people identify with Captain America being Caucasian. I'm sure a Captain America movie with Will Smith would still be successful.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Winnow wrote: Next thing you'll be seeing a black George Washington (not Carver, the 1st president)
Forgive the hijack, I had this cat in an American History class that brought up a hilarious point. In Revolutionary era history, black people had no last names, and you had prominent white people with the surname of Washington. Present day, Washington is a very common surname for black people, and you'd be hard pressed to find a white person with the surname of Washington. What gives?

My professor laughed, but conceded that he had a point.

Anyways, go back to talking about mediocre Marvel movie adaptation #320152.6.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I was thinking about this while watching Monday Night Football and I think that AJ Hawk would make a good Cap or at least a good Thor.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I was thinking about this while watching Monday Night Football and I think that AJ Hawk would make a good Cap or at least a good Thor.
He might look the part, but he went to Ohio State and I think actor's need to know how to read...

Go Blue!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Sylvus wrote:
Bubba Grizz wrote:I was thinking about this while watching Monday Night Football and I think that AJ Hawk would make a good Cap or at least a good Thor.
He might look the part, but he went to Ohio State and I think actor's need to know how to read...
"actors", not "actor's".

What school did you go to again? I went to Ohio State.

That said I don't think he looks much like Cap.

- Ash
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Ashur wrote: That said I don't think he looks much like Cap.
I don't know....it appears as if both he and Cap protect the house.
Last edited by Aardor on September 10, 2008, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Ashur wrote:"actors", not "actor's".
Bah, you know that was a typo!

Touche, though...

Go Blue!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Is there a rule that states that all heroes must be pretty?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

All heroes except for Super Hideously Ugly Woman.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aaaaaaand Chris Evans is officially Captain America. (He played Human Tourch in Fantastic Four)
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Epic Fail
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Fox owns Fantastic Four, so Marvel doesn't consider those films to be part of their film campaign. Also Chris Evans is awesome. Go see Sunshine (Danny Boyle film) if you haven't. The guy has great potential.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sorry, I was pretty ambiguous in my announcement post.

Yes, I agree that it is a good casting choice. He is the proper age, has a great figure ( not too bulked, not too ripped), and his role on Sunshine proved he has range in his acting abilities. Also, I believe he has a good chin, which is essential to the role!

All of his image results from Google look like Playgirl spreads. If anything, instead of working on definition for the role, he should bulk up just a tad. He's in good enough shape to do either if the director wants him to.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Bucky has been picked!
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Sebastian Stan, one of the actors who tested for the title role of Marvel's "Captain America" which ultimately went to Chris Evans, has nabbed the key role of Captain America's sidekick Bucky Barnes.

In comic book lore, Barnes, a teenage orphan, was too young to join the army but became one camp's mascot. When he discovered Captain America's identity, he joined the hero as a partner in his Nazi-fighting escapades. The character died in Captain America's final World War II adventure.

After decades of being "dead," the character was revived in 2005 and brought back into modern comic continuity, initially as a covert assassin named Winter Soldier.

It is not clear if the movie version of Barnes sets up the Winter Soldier identity. Marvel would only confirm that Stan is playing Barnes.

Insiders also say Stan has signed on for five or six pictures.

Shooting on the Joe Johnston-directed movie starts this summer in Europe.

Stan starred in NBC's short-lived "Kings" and had a stint on the CW's "Gossip Girl."

His feature film career has been on a roll of late, having recently appeared in "Hot Tub Time Machine" and wrapped production on the Joel Silver-produced thriller "The Apparition" and on director Darren Aronofsky's "Black Swan."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hmm when they said the Actor starred in Kings, I immediately thought of the main actor who would resemble Cap Amer much more than the guy they chose for bukcy (mentioing it because they said he tried out for Capt Amer role first)

The actor chosen for Bucky is on the far left.

I think Swearengen would make a good Cap!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Concept art for the 1940's Cpt. America.

More at: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45326
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

His frontal lobe is missing.

I don't like the look of the helmet but otherwise ok.

Cap's best moment was in Civil War. It exemplifies his duty to the Country and not to the government.

Last edited by Winnow on June 25, 2011, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Both the Thor and Captain America concepts that Fair posted are created by a fan, but are based from written descriptions from an insider who has seen the costumes.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

You know, as long as it's not spandex and they don't include the head "wings" I think it'll look good.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://ifanboy.com/content/articles/FIR ... ent_Weekly

Here are all the current pics of Captain America. Chris Evans looks like a pretty fucking solid to me. He's got the form right. Not too bulky, not too ripped.

Last edited by Fairweather Pure on October 29, 2010, 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Movie poster
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What a hunk!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah

Chris bulked up for Cap America from his Fantastic Four-form and will do well as Captain A.

They even did decent with the Thor-actor.

Even Van Wilder as Green Lantern is a decent choice.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Latest image!

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://screenrant.com/captain-america-m ... rob-95464/

Trailer up! I'm really surprised at how much I am looking forward to this movie. If you're fast enough you can pause the Red Skull scene and see how bad ass he looks!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:If you're fast enough you can pause the Red Skull scene and see how bad ass he looks!
Or you can just pause the trailer at any time and manually move the scrollbar until you see it. Much easier that way.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Spang wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:If you're fast enough you can pause the Red Skull scene and see how bad ass he looks!
Or you can just pause the trailer at any time and manually move the scrollbar until you see it. Much easier that way.
You can even look at the jpg of him at the link above!

No clue if it will X : Image
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://downloads.paramount.com/mp/Capta ... 4_1080.mov

Here's the latest trailer. This one will be attached to Transformers 3. The above is a 1080 link, but it's worth it! Best trailer so far.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

very nice!