I got my first Comcast DL warning

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: I got my first Comcast DL warning

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I've hit 1.3TB so far this month and I still have a week to go. No phone calls yet! The 250GB imposed limit has been lifted for the last year or so, so I've been going nuts. This month I discovered some great comic collections that I have been grabbing at will.

This thread is pretty funny looking back on it now. The patch for Dead Rising was 13GB lol.

Like I said: Today's power user is tomorrow's average user!

It's also been six years and as with the other thread that starts of with marveling at the amazing 15Mbps/1.5 Mbps fast service from 2005, bandwidth speeds have now reached 150 Mbps/25Mbps. Times change. That's a 10x increase and even more on the upload side. At the time, your bandwidth suckage was bad because the networks weren't as fast and you were probably affecting other people on your local node by constantly downloading at max speed 24/7. Now it's not as much of a factor.

Shame you don't have my 150Mbps. You could download 1 GB a minute off the newsgroups and suck up 1.4 TB a day and grab 42 TB a month!

I tend to download things that would be difficult to obtain again. Second volume of Atari Force comics for example. Hard to find. found a decent scan of it in pdf and grabbed it because you aren't going to find that posted somewhere all the time. Young Hercules TV show starring Ryan Gosling. 50 episodes. Some may not even know about it. It's a spin off of Hercules the Legendary Journeys and Xena. Was a daily show for a year. You can't buy it on DVD. Found it on the Newsgroups and grabbed it because it's not posted very often. I grab tons of art collections because they are smaller in size.

I don't see a real reason to try and create my own huge movie database, again, except for some rare movies or favorites. No need for a huge music collection with streaming services...except again for rare stuff like Prince who is anti everything so can't stream his stuff.

If you're burning movies on Blu Rays then that's a total waste. Those will fade away just like CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, etc. Wasting time doing it.

What seems like the first worthwhile mass storage is when SSD prices drop. I can't stand spinning anything. I want solid state.

I guess I don't see the point in downloading masses of data just for the hell of it. A nice alternative is the Chinese free Terabyte cloud servers. I have 62 TB of free space (anyone can get at least 36 TB) and move entire HD TV runs of shows and movies to my cloud server in seconds. I can also stream right from the cloud but if I actually want to download something from my collection, I'll download what I want instead of everything.

Seems you should be on that horder TV show. They could make a special episode for data horders!

I admit I download assloads of artwork (fantasy/sci-fi/comic) but a lot of that is the challenge of figuring out how to defeat the protections on sites in order to mass download their libraries. I enjoy the challenge of figuring it out using old non supported apps like Picaloader. The harder it is to break, the more fun I have. Compare it to back in the '80s when there was an art and some skill to copying and hacking games.

I suppose what I'm saying is think about what you're downloading. For example. At one point I thought it would be cool to download the .pdf's of every table top pen and paper role playing game along with campaigns, etc. Not hard. Most are all posted on the newsgroups...but while it would be cool to have them all...why? If I'm feeling nostalgic and want to browse through Gamma World's player manual, I'll search for it and have it in seconds. So I grabbed a few, like DragonQuest that I played back in the 80's to show some old friends and moved on! Pick and choose.

BTW, I don't have total disregard for copyrights. Back in 86, DragonQuest was already no longer being published but that's the system my friends were using instead of D&D. I actually wrote the company and received permission to copy the manual before doing so. Take that bitches!
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

Winnow wrote:A nice alternative is the Chinese free Terabyte cloud servers. I have 62 TB of free space (anyone can get at least 36 TB)
I'm intrigued. Can you elaborate on this?
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Mak wrote:
Winnow wrote:A nice alternative is the Chinese free Terabyte cloud servers. I have 62 TB of free space (anyone can get at least 36 TB)

See here: http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 25&t=26306
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:It's also been six years a
Fairweather Pure wrote:Like I said: Today's power user is tomorrow's average user!
I DL anything digital that interests me. I owned 1500+ DVDs at one point in time and I still have several hundred, as well as several hundred Blu Rays. I don't DL movies. Too big and a PITA to mess with. Besides, movies are cheap if you watch out for price drops.

At one point in time, I owned over 850 CDs. I will DL music on a whim and not give a shit. I've bought Dark Side of the Moon and Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 5-6 times each in various formats throughout the years. I did my time in the trenches! Even being able to steal all the music I want, I barely ever DL any. I have had my "core" music for over a decade after I ripped and sold my CD collection and really don't add much to it at all.

Comics, I have 3 long boxes and a short box. They take up too much space. Digital is the only way to go on those. I'll never go back. I'm approaching the 200k mark in my digital comic collecting. It's a ton of fun organizing them and getting nostalgia bombed.
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

Boogahz wrote:
Mak wrote:

See here: http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 25&t=26306
Thank you- will catch up this weekend.
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.