Dawn of War 2 announced

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Dawn of War 2 announced

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://www.dawnofwar2.com/us/home

The movie that is on the site is form actual gameplay footage.

It's going to be a hybrid of DoW and Company of Heros, each easily the 2 best RTS games in the past 5ish years. The buzz so far is pretty great. I'm really interested to see how the campaign co-op works out. There are various details floating around the Net for anyone interested.

They are promising to move even further away from base building than what was done in both DoW and CoH and focusing more on combat. Marines and Orcs have been the only 2 races mentioned so far, but I feel a Tyranid announcement will eventually be made. There has also been talk about how they are restructuring the way Marine squads function. It dosen't look we'll be seeing the numbers that were typical in massive DoW games, but instead it will have more of a CoH feel.

Move over SC2, I have a new RTS to drool over. I can't fucking wait!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Dawn of War 2 announced

Post by miir »

The movie that is on the site is form actual gameplay footage.
Comparing the teaser to the screenshots would suggest otherwise.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

not a lot of RTS fans on VV, i know.. but here's a good read on DoW2. Fuck SC2, basically.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/879/879620p1.html

definitely sounds like theyre continuing their culture of innovation in the RTS genre. Improving on the defining concepts from DoW and CoH like control points, squads/weapons/reinforcements system, doctrine/call-in abilities, environmental cover, passive unit AI, a minimalized macro game.. the article definitely did a good job of covering all of those critical features. on top of all that, the new shit they are promising for DoW2 sounds just as exciting as everything in that list did when DoW and CoH were released. Of course I'd much rather see Company of Heroes 2 than Dawn of War 2... but I'll take it. This game will rock
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I look at the official site every fucking day for an update, and they put all the leet infoz on IGN?!?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That was a pretty amazing article. Relic is really looking to break down barriers and add much needed innovation to the RTS genre. Of course, there is room for both SC2 and DoW2. SC2 is looking to be the crowning acheivement in what is now thought of as the "traditional" RTS genre. I really love Relic's ideas and how they're examining things like co-op play and trying to establish a connection with your littel computer troopers :P

I find it odd that they thought these 2 games may be released around the same time, seeing as that DoW2 looks like it has a long way to go. No UI? Only 2 races so far? Still in the planning phases of certian gameplay mechanics? In the meantime, Blizzard is simply fine tuning balance and is currently concentrating on fleshing out Zerg units, with Terran and Protoss being virtually complete.

Those DoW2 screenshots were fantastic, but the gameplay footage should have been more than 28 seconds of intermixed footage. Still, it's looking as good as I had hoped for, and I was hoping for a lot. Based on the above article, it's already looking to exceed my best expectations. Flying your battle cruiser to a planet, selecting your assualt force and equipping them with dropped "RPG-style" gear, and kicking ass alone or with a friend sounds unreal to me. It's a 40k geek's wet dream.

Thanks for posting the article!
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on June 7, 2008, 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

while were on the subject- here is a wonderful slow-motion moment from one of my CoH games this evening. Oh, Hummels.. is there anything you won't obliterate into thousands of tiny pieces?

http://cadalano.com/coh_arty_Party.wmv

moments like this are what make CoH great!
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

Started reading the Warhammer 40k novels, and being a fan of DoW this has me excited.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36029.html

A third race was announced at E3. Here is the HD gameplay trailer. Waaaay too short IMO, but I like what I see.

Janx, if you like the books, I hope you're reading the Horus Heresy novels. I would pit the story of the of the Primarchs, the rise and fall of Horus and the traitor legions, and the entire scope of the Horus Heresy against any other work of fiction ever created. The depth and scope of this single story of Warhammer 40k fiction is staggering. Each Primarch is a story unto it's own. I'm impressed that Games Workshp is taking on the challenge of doing the books. I think the series would have to be about 40 books long to include everything though :P

They really need to make a movie out of it. If done correctly, that would break some box office records. The Horus Heresy is the very definition of epic!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Fairweather Pure wrote:A third race was announced at E3.
Which is?
- Ash
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Eldar
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Thx.
- Ash
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Since you can't see it, it shows Banshees, Warlocks, a Farseer (without mask I think), Fire Prisim tank, and an eldar dreadnought that looks like the latest miniature design (it was carrying a sword).

Vehicles look larger in this game, so things are a lot more to scale. The Fire Prisim looked pretty cool hovering behind the troops.

They have plenty of time to add more races. The discussions are already leaning towards either Chaos or Tyranids, but they could include more than 4 races out of the gate. If they include chaos only, it will be kind of weak to have Dawn of War 2 be the same as the original races. I'm hoping for something new, and I think Tyranids will be included. Relic will save them for last and use them as a big promotional push prior to release.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

I'd like to see different units than before. Striking Scorpions, War Walkers, non-IG Heavy Weapon batteries, Jetbikes, SM & Orc biker squads, Noise & Plague marines, Stealthsuits that are actually useful, Pirahnas, etc.
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Yes, hopefully "REAL" thousand sons, plague marines, noise marines etc :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Specific chaos legions would be most excellent. I would buy an expansion that was just 4, well defined chaos armies that were true to their specific god. Thousand Sons, Plague Marines, World Eaters, and Emperor's Children. If this game is going to be a smaller scale, skirmish type of game, it seems possible.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

TYRANIDS announced. They are stupid awesome. I had a nerdgasam x3. They look even better than I was hoping, and in this case that is the highest compliment I can give.

Announcement and Interview

http://pc.ign.com/articles/900/900039p1.html

HD Gameplay

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14243516/ ... 82008.html

Expanded HD Cinematic

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14243516/ ... 81808.html

(long load times on videos)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Holy crap...
That's badass
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Tyranids are something many Warhammer-fans wanted in DoW 1 but they said that the DoW1 engine wouldn't do the Tyranids justice. (too complex and difficult)

Good to see them in DoW 2! Many will rejoice and purchase DoW 2!

Now i'd just want "true" Khorne World Eaters, bringing Bloodletters against the Tyranid armies with a Champ riding a Jugger into the fray!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40921.html

Latest HD gameplay footage. I really like the RTS style elements. I'm eager to see what they look like for other races. This latest footage shows how much like CoH the game really looks. Somehow, it looks better in a sci fi setting though. Maybe it's all the unit highlighting? I can't quite put my finger on it.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

cover system looks like a 100% clone from CoH

seems like suppression will play a much lighter role than it did in CoH

I also noticed that the heavy mech unit was still taking damage from small arms fire- something that in CoH you'd probably need an anti-armor unit to do any damage to... so they might not be following the armor system from CoH

all i know is they have all but abandoned CoH at this point.. its been in a beta patch for almost the entire year with zero significant changes ;(

as long as all of that effort is going into making DoW2 the game that CoH should be.. i guess its alright.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i probably could just send this as a PM to Fairweather, but hey

dow2 beta on Jan 21st if you own Soulstorm on steam- in case you don't have it but wouldn't mind shelling out for an early peek. I can't wait!

http://www.gamecyte.com/dawn-of-war-2-m ... ryone-else
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sorry, just saw this.

I check the official website a couple times a week for updates. I'm glad it's coming out Feb 23rd. The RPG elements look like a lot of fun, and the races all look great. I hope it's as good as I am anticipating.

It's hard to believe it was announced so much later than SC2 and it will be out so much faster. I love Blizzard and all, but Jesus Christ.

I can wait for the actual release date. I'm not in that big of a hurry since I have other games to play.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

this game is pretty slick. i will now ramble at great lengths regarding gameplay to no one in particular

did a dozen or so skirmish games last night. they did an excellent job with simplifying the gameplay without making it feel dumbed down or bland.

they took a great deal of lessons from CoH- resource income is much more gradual. in games like DoW and even CoH its easy to accidentally stockpile a huge amount of unused resources as you are focusing on combat, but that doesn't seem to happen much here.

resource gathering is also done partly through the type of control points you capture and partly through constructing forward power generators directly on those points, which is a blend of CoH and DoW. Power points by themselves produce almost meaningless power until they are upgraded, so in a way you get to decide for yourself which points become the infamous "High fuel" zones of CoH fame, as opposed to always fighting over the exact same area every time you play the map- definitely a great idea.

Unlike CoH, there is no chain of supply.. so there is no ability to indirectly cut off an opponent's resources. Instead, the forward power generators from captured power points actually produce power for whoever happens to own the point, friend or foe. so after capturing a power point you can either put your enemy's generators to work for your army, or destroy them before the point is retaken. IMO, all of this exaggerates the importance of already-very-important power points and will tend to make sneaky maneuvering/flanking to capture unguarded points somewhat meaningless... I'd prefer something more decentralized.. but to an extent it also depends greatly on the map layout.

munitions from CoH are replaced with individual unit energy which recharges gradually. This is again a hybrid between DoW's cooldowns and CoH's global munition pool that all units and abilities draw from. Additionally, active commander abilities such as doctrines in CoH or orbital strikes in DoW all draw from a power meter which increases gradually as the game goes on (and I think that killing enemies boosts the rate). Weaker abilities take less power so they can be used sooner. The abilities are all fairly unique, such as summoning units or temporarily buffing squads, but everyone gets some form of massive click-strike as the ultimate power.

base management has had the most fat cut of everything. aside from the headquarters, buildings are completely out if they do not play an actual role in the gameplay. turrets and other "forward" structures are there, but the only building that constitutes the traditional RTS base is your headquarters. in addition to that, teching is reduced to just a three tier upgrade path, ala CoH's Wehrmacht. its amazing to me now that no one thought to try this out before.. playing sim city with your bases is the most meaningless aspect of traditional RTS games and its a relief to be able to just push "F1" and have your entire base on one menu. Aside from going back to reinforce troops occasionally, you'll never have to even look at your base once the game starts. One downside is that this removes the option of raiding a base to destroy structures and limit production.. but I think relic is making a further effort here to ensure that most of the battle occurs on the map itself.

there are fewer unit types, which I think serves the game well. this goes a long way for simplification and cutting out some redundancies. Most races seem to have around 9 unit types that you can build from the headquarters, with maybe a few other units as call-ins. They still loosely stick to the DoW Infantry/Heavy Infantry/Tank formula, but there are many more "support" type units with unique qualities. In addition to fewer TYPES of units, the amount of units on the map in general is also greatly reduced due to smaller squads, more gradual resource acquisition, and an intentionally limited population cap. This makes for a much better experience IMO, as it does in CoH.. there's less emphasis on massive zerg clusterfucks involving dozens of units and more squad-level fights that actually introduce an opportunity for tactics and micromanagement.

squad management is much easier now. in DoW infantry died constantly- causing you to endlessly reinforce and buy new weapons for squads, even in the middle of firefights. In DoW2, squad sizes are much smaller.. and most combat squads don't start losing men until the squad health bar has lost a considerable amount. Additionally, reinforcement can only be done at the base or at a purpose-built forward reinforcement source (eg: called-in drop pods or carrier vehicles). One of the coolest features of DoW2 is that some of these forward structures serve as alternate retreat points, so retreating squads will actually run to them rather than all the way back to base. Adding LT's and weapons to your squads can be done anywhere, as it should be. I'm not positive exactly how weapon upgrades work at this point, but so far I have never had to waste time buying a weapon upgrade more than once. much improved from DoW.

Heroes are not a new concept, but they executed it well here. You select your hero (you only get one) after you select your race, which provides another level of dynamism, as they have different abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Selecting a hero also determines your commander/doctrine abilities. The hero units themselves are well balanced- strong but still vulnerable. They get abilities like Warcraft 3 heroes, but unlike Warcraft you have to pay to upgrade them first. Also, while you have many upgrades to choose from, some of them lock out other options so you can't pick everything.

There's other positive concepts from CoH carried over that are more or less identical in DoW2, such as suppression (though it takes a much less significant role in this game), building garrisons, support weapon teams (ie: a squad of three men controlling a single powerful weapon), retreat, and of course cover.

so yeah- its good!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Great review!

In the video above, the Relic rep states "Hero units support the army, not the other way around." That was my single largest complaint with WC3. The Hero units were way too godly. DoW had end game units, much like SC had that were great fun but came much later in the game and were easier to counter.

The hero unit and combat doctrines are one of the most interesting things thrown into the mix. It sounds similar to Age of Empires/Mythology, where tiers of abilities were availabe once you selected primary and secondary leaders. That was one of my favorite things about that entire series and it's nice to see it in DoW2.

I'm definately excited!

How were the vehicles? Were they more comparable to DoW or CoH?
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

they're more like DoW - they all seem to be heavy armor and don't really take any damage from small arms fire. there's no light vehicles like in CoH.. and I could be wrong but I don't think they have any flying craft either in this game. all of the vehicles i've played with are pretty slow moving.. not a whole lot faster than infantry.. and seem to act more like mobile emplacements for defense. There's not many of them either- each race only gets like 2 or 3 types. some of them aren't literally vehicles either, like tyranids and eldar get these gigantic lumbering dudes similar to dreadnoughts.. but they all get heavy armor and everything so its all the same
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've been playing it for an hour or 2 and I'm really enjoying it. It really is the best from both Dawn of War and Company of Heros. This game really provides a satisfying playing experiance.

My major complaint goes to the cumbersome and time consuming installation process. I had to install Steam, which went ahead and placed itself on autostart and wants to run in the background all the time by default. I type in the key from the game, and steam gives me another that I have to write down and re-enter later for online play. The game starts and I have to log into my Games For Windows account. I had forgotten all my sign in info, so had to wrestle with that for 10 minutes. In total, I had 3 seperate sign-ins just to play the fucking game. I also detest the 5 minutes of lead-in advertising, company logos, and an intro movies that I couldn't skip. What a bunch of bullshit just to play a goddamn game.

I'm running max everything with some slight slowdown. I'll likely tone down a couple of features just to get a consistant framerate.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

steam is a bitch to get used to. i'm also not sure that i like the implementation of games for windows live. they made it virtually identical to xbox live's interface and didn't make any changes that would make more sense for a mouse and keyboard. theres way too many steps involved in sending and receiving game invitations.. and the matchmaking system is proving to be even worse than CoH.

fwp, you can go into start up options for DoW2 on steam and type in "-nomovies". this takes you straight to the main menu

the gameplay is a lot more balanced than beta, but i'm sure they got a ways to go still. space marines got kinda overnerfed.. to the point where there's not much reason to build any squads at all except tactical marines. vehicles in general need to suck a lot less than they do, especially walkers. a 40 fuel weapon should not be able to kill a walker that cost 500 req and 90 fuel in 4 shots. and tyranids are pretty OP in 1s right now.

3v3 but no 2v2 is a fucking joke. cant believe they released with zero 2v2 maps considering how popular 2v2 is in CoH

quite a few bugs still were found after release too but they patched most of them out pretty quick.

the campaign is definitely a very new RTS experience. it is somewhat repetitive but i like the bosses and defense modes.. and all the RPG elements. i'm playing through it co-op
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The RPG elements are what really set DoW 2 apart from anything else out there IMO and are handled exceptionally well. The do need more multiplayer maps in general. My copy of the game came with a code for another map and also artificer wargear. I totally agree with you that the map selection is lacking right now. Vehicles also seem a bit on the weak side.

The destructable terrain is proving to be a lot of fun though. On a multiplayer map, I had my dreadnought clear out all of the ruins in front of my base to create a killzone that funneled the tyranids straight into my awaiting guns. Very cool!

I would've loved to have had single player campaigns for all 4 races though.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Looks great.

As soon as the Expansion with Khorne's World Eaters is released i'll grab it.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Like I said above, if they made an all chaos expansion I would be all over it. Likewise, loyalist chapter specific chapters would be pretty damn cool. However, it's more appealing for me to imagine a towering Keeper of Secrets ripping up the enemy so I'm gunning for chaos!

Necrons and Tau were great for the original DoW. Actually, so were sisters of battle and Dark Eldar! Hell, I hope they make em all again with these superior graphics.

In skirmish mode, the AI tends to run away too often. That is my only major complaint with the game so far. The singel player is such a nice break from traditional RTS games.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blogs/?p=668

Upcoming update, "There is Only War".
This summer, Dawn of War II is going to receive a major update that adds tremendous value to the multiplayer experience through new features, major balance improvements, and new content.
I'm hoping an expansion will be announced soon. The game sold very well, so it should be a foregone conclusion.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

If you haven't already got DOW2, you have no excuse now.

This weekend on Steam, all Dawn of War and Company of Heroes games are 50% off.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

They just added a Horde mode too. Great game. THQ is really bringing the content!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Dawn of War 2 Expansion - Chaos Rising (Spring 2010)

Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Day 1!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Same here!

What will the three Hero-types be? Chaos Lord, Chaos Sorcerer and Daemon Prince?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The expansion will be out March 11, 2010. It's hard to believe that Dawn of War 2 was announced, released, and had an expansion announced and released all during the span of StarCraft 2's announcement. That's crazy!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Expansion goes live tonight at 10pm est if you preordered from Steam. I can't wait! Even if you only have DoW2, log in and DL the 2.5g patch. You still get the new units and new multiplayer maps!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Original Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising in a bundle right now on Steam for 20$
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The next expansion, Retribution, was announced in Sept. Apparently it's going to have a new race (unannounced), all existing races get a Hero and a new unit or 2, but most amazingly, all the races will have their own campaigns, complete with loot and Heroes! It's going to be out in March of 2011.

I cannot believe I'm saying this but... like DoW2 better than SC2. There. I said it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Steam has all Dawn of War releases (excluding Retribution) for 50% off.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/dawnofwarfranchise
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The other race is Imperial Guard. It looks like all the factions will get a super unit. Baneblade for IG, Land Raider for Space Marines, ect. I'm curious how those will work given the smaller, squad based scale of warfare taking place in this game. It seems like they would be massively overpowered.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Whats Chaos Super-unit in Retribution!

Or are they boosting the Unclean One to be in line with the baneblade?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm not sure of the Chaos super unit, although they get Noise Marines at some point. The orks get a Battelwagon and Tyranids get a Swarmlord. I sure hope that chaos gets something other than a chaos Land Raider. That would be lame!

If you bought Dawn of War 2 through Steam, you can play the beta if you want.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Looks like Unclean One for Chaos and Avatar for Eldar as far as super units. They must be getting buffed to some degree. I'm having trouble seeing how those stack up against a fucking Baneblade Super Heavy Battletank, but whateva!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Preorderd and loaded from Steam. The sneak peeks I'm reading about this game are off the hook! The diversity and replayability for the single player look like it's going to set a new standard.

Details:

It's a stand alone game including all the multiplayer maps, Last Stand modes, ect from all the previous games

Adds 4 new multiplayer maps and 1 new Last Stand Map

Adds a new Hero for Last Stand (Imperial Guard)

New Units for all existing factions

Super Units added

Adds an entire race (Imperial Guard)

Allows you to play through the campaign with each race. Every race has unique gear, skills, heros, ect. Furthermore, everytime you replay the campaign, you can play it differently for each race.

Instead of tacking characters on missions during the campaign, you can choose elite infantry. This is a really interesting change if you've played the game before.

It's only 30.00 fucking dollars

Here is a link with details and goodies: http://www.dawnofwar2.com/us/retribution/campaign

Here is IGN's video preview. It's worth viewing just to see some of the campaign screens with all races available for selection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8DNORr32U0&hd=1