Oil Change...

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Oil Change...

Post by Clatis »

$92.65... Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go for a good oil change that offers quality oil and filters? because that much at my local Infinity is quite ridiculous.
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Oil Change...

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Change it yourself. It's far from difficult and it's fucking dirt cheap. Takes about 15 minutes.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Fair beat me to it.
It's seriously one of the easiest things to do.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

That really depends on ground clearance of the car and placement of the filter. I know with my A4 you would have to get it off the ground to drain the oilpan, and to change the filter you would have to have it way up in the air so you could stand under it because of the horrible filter placement. Same with my Integra. With both of those cars it was much faster and easier to have it done by someone else.

I've only had my G35 for a few weeks yet so I won't be much help in that department :(
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Just make sure you discard the oil properly if you change it yourself!
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

yeah, it would be a pain to change it myself since it's impossible for me to get under the car and I have nothing to jack it up on that I would trust...

Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

You probably will have to call around a bit for your area, as long as you're getting a good filter* and decent oil it doesn't matter who does it. The Goodyear place up the street from me is fast and only ~$25 for an oil\filter change with Castrol & a NAPA filter.

*Purolator or Wix, or the half dozen brands they OEM are about the best you're going to get. Stay away from Fram and everything they OEM, many Bosch filters included.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

You bought an a premium car, expect premium charges
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

oil changes are a lie made up by car manufacturers to get more money out of you. fucking sheep
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

cadalano wrote:oil changes are a lie made up by car manufacturers to get more money out of you. fucking sheep

3000 mile oil change... yes. Should try and do it at less than 10k though.... you should see what happens, aint pretty.
Sick Balls!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

It also depends on the car too... Audi/VW's with the 1.8 liter engine have serious issues with the engine gunking up, and if you don't change the oil often enough it can get really bad quick.

But yeah.. Why you do at some point need to change the oil is common sense, I can see arguments against how often but thats about it.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Noysyrump wrote:3000 mile oil change... yes. Should try and do it at less than 10k though.... you should see what happens, aint pretty.
I've got lots of friends who run diesels, 25k+ mile change intervals are realistic if you start with decent oil and get the oil checked every 5k or so. An oil analysis is $10-20, so not really worth it on a car unless you're running an expensive synthetic or paying through the nose at a dealer. Ideal conditions for long oil (and drivetrain) life would be a couple miles warmup, then highway travel with a couple miles of cooldown prior being shut off.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

baaaa baaaa
WRONG.

buddy of mine went to go get an oil change after 7 years of driving and they found out that THE CAR HAD NO OIL IN IT. turns out the manufacturer forgot to put it in and he'd been driving around like that for SEVEN YEARS. the oil is a lie, people
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Drive a car for 7 years without adding oil and there won't be any left even if it was full at the beginning...

P.S. Dealerships rape on service charges. My Saturn Dealership wanted to replace a light bar for like $150+labor. What was wrong, they said it was "Burned out". I said "Replace the bulb" and they said "We can't".

Last time I ever got serviced at a dealership. Valvoline Instant Oil Change replaced the bulb for next to nothing.
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Nothing wrong with Jiffy Lube.
en kærlighed småkager
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Canelek wrote:Nothing wrong with Jiffy Lube.
I am an Auto mechanic, and use jiffy lube. 10 minutes, no mess (i have to clean) and they clean my windows and vacuum the car, sweet.
Sick Balls!
Neroon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Neroon »

My Subaru says every 7500 miles right in the owners manual. The dealer gave me crap for bringing it in at 5400. They said I should do it at 3750, and posted the next due sticker on the windshield for 8400.....

Either they can't add, or they are hoping I can't! Not that I intend to bring it in before 10k regardless.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I believe that GM began installing Oil Life monitors in all/many of their vehicles recently. It is supposed to compute the remaining oil life based on driving habits as well as the miles driven. The mechanic's placed the normal 3-4000 mile sticker in the window, but they also pointed out the need to watch the sensor as well as regularly check the oil (which I do anyhow). I passed the mile limit a couple months ago with the oil still looking fine. It is down to 12% on the Oil Life monitor, and I will probably take it in soon anyhow, since I have just hit the 25,000 mile mark.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

cadalano wrote:
baaaa baaaa
WRONG.

buddy of mine went to go get an oil change after 7 years of driving and they found out that THE CAR HAD NO OIL IN IT. turns out the manufacturer forgot to put it in and he'd been driving around like that for SEVEN YEARS. the oil is a lie, people
Wow, what a bullshit story that is.

Now back to reality, following your owners manual is a good bet on intervals. I read something in Consumer Reports stating that timing bewteen intervals is as if not more important than the mileage (3 months). Changing stations will put on 3k. My manual says 3,750 under hard conditions and 7,500 under normal. I usually do it around 5k or 3 months now at a tire & auto place I trust currently and my car has over 205k on it now. Usually no more than $30.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Boogahz wrote:I believe that GM began installing Oil Life monitors in all/many of their vehicles recently. It is supposed to compute the remaining oil life based on driving habits as well as the miles driven. The mechanic's placed the normal 3-4000 mile sticker in the window, but they also pointed out the need to watch the sensor as well as regularly check the oil (which I do anyhow). I passed the mile limit a couple months ago with the oil still looking fine. It is down to 12% on the Oil Life monitor, and I will probably take it in soon anyhow, since I have just hit the 25,000 mile mark.
Matainence minders are standard in all Hondas as well, anywhere from 3500 to 8000 miles between oil changes depending on driving habits. When ours get to 15% the light comes on to make your appointment.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Chidoro wrote:
cadalano wrote:WRONG.

Whooooosh!!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

miir wrote:
Chidoro wrote:
cadalano wrote:WRONG.

Whooooosh!!

Right over da head.

Anyways, I went 11k for my last, I dont recomend that. After circa 5k you usually will have to add oil in most cars. So that 7500 bull shit is also, just bullshit like 3k. But... if you dont let the level drop, and pay attention to the sounds your engine makes, you can tell when the oil has lost its viscosity and protective qualities. I HAD to change it at 11k cause shit was clankin... ;)
Sick Balls!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cars don't need oil in Arizona due to the chemical makeup of the air in the high desert.

I use Mobile One Synthetic though just for the hell of it. With that, you can go a good 10K in between changes.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

We have a Mini Cooper and they make you change the oil every 15,000 miles. No idea how or why, but they (dealership) are quite anal about it and won't touch it unless the oil change mileage indicates a negative value.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

Xouqoa wrote:We have a Mini Cooper and they make you change the oil every 15,000 miles. No idea how or why, but they (dealership) are quite anal about it and won't touch it unless the oil change mileage indicates a negative value.
weird, that seems like a long interval. and I take it you're short? I'm 6'2" and riding shotgun in one of those was miserable

Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Clatis wrote:
Xouqoa wrote:We have a Mini Cooper and they make you change the oil every 15,000 miles. No idea how or why, but they (dealership) are quite anal about it and won't touch it unless the oil change mileage indicates a negative value.
weird, that seems like a long interval. and I take it you're short? I'm 6'2" and riding shotgun in one of those was miserable
No, he's a couple inches taller than I am (I'm 6'2"). Sometimes the three of us get into that car, I sit/lay across the backseat. Honestly, I don't even understand why they put a backseat in them.