Windshield scratches

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Windshield scratches

Post by Funkmasterr »

So, somehow my windshield wipers scratched my windshield yesterday, I'm not really sure how. It was icy so some ice may have still been on the blades but it seems crazy to me that a little ice on my wipers would scratch the windshield.

Anyhow, the scratches are not deep at all.. maybe a paper width deep and 6 inches long or so. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to get scratches out of a windshield?

I know you can have a glass place buff them out but it seems like it's always worse after that is done. I could try and claim its chipped on my insurance and have it replaced but I think I have a high glass deductible on my policy and would rather not do that if I don't have to.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Windshield scratches

Post by Boogahz »

In many states, your deductible is waived if the windshield can be repaired rather than replaced. I am fairly certain that it is not too company specific.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Isn't a new windshield less than $200 ?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

I have heard of wipers doing that. My brother in law had his wiper somehow break, and it scratched the windshield when he turned the wipers on (and found out it was broken shortly thereafter). If your wipers are OK, that seems a bit odd, I wouldn't think ice + force of wipers could scratch the glass.

As far as buffing out goes, how much does that cost? It is pretty cheap to get a whole new windshield, so cheap that the deductible ($500) for my insurance is more expensive than the windshield replacement.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Interesting, I wasn't aware that windshields were so cheap. I think my deductible is like 500 too so it might be better just to buy a new windshield.

Is there anything to look for when buying one? Like quality wise, etc? Or am I going to get the same thing pretty much no matter where I get it?

Thanks for the info!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Funkmasterr wrote:Interesting, I wasn't aware that windshields were so cheap. I think my deductible is like 500 too so it might be better just to buy a new windshield.

Is there anything to look for when buying one? Like quality wise, etc? Or am I going to get the same thing pretty much no matter where I get it?

Thanks for the info!
I know quite a few people who have gotten one used from a junkyard, so I have no clue what to look for in quality. You should be able to call up a windshield place a get a quote to be sure, i think they are around $300.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I'd imagine you had grit of some sort under your wiper, I wouldn't think you could get scratches from just ice.

Gasketed windshields are easy to replace at home with one from a junkyard, just make sure you get a new gasket. I don't know anything about glue on ones, I'd assume some installers would put a used one on for you if you asked. Might not be much of a savings over a new one though.

While there's always the chance of grey market parts, standards for windshields are pretty tight. I doubt there's much brand to brand difference.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:Interesting, I wasn't aware that windshields were so cheap. I think my deductible is like 500 too so it might be better just to buy a new windshield.

Thanks for the info!
Check with your insurance company regarding deductibles being applicable for repair/replace. Then ask about how they rate on that type of comprehensive claim. My company doesn't use it against you at all, but I have quoted new policies where they were being dropped for too many comprehensive (glass, hail, flood, animal, vandalism, etc.) claims by the prior carrier.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Try fine steel wool
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Safelite is a great company. Cruise the site maybe they can give ya a quote there. Also, if your car is old enough, used glass places are a great economical way, however, if it aint broke, why fix it. Nothing worse than payin out $$ for new glass only to get a rock in it a week later.
An Affordable Solution

Repairing a windshield is also a good value. If you have comprehensive coverage, and if you choose to have your windshield repaired rather than replaced, most insurance companies will waive your deductible, leaving no costs for you.
From that site.
Sick Balls!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Noysyrump wrote:Safelite is a great company. Cruise the site maybe they can give ya a quote there. Also, if your car is old enough, used glass places are a great economical way, however, if it aint broke, why fix it. Nothing worse than payin out $$ for new glass only to get a rock in it a week later.
An Affordable Solution

Repairing a windshield is also a good value. If you have comprehensive coverage, and if you choose to have your windshield repaired rather than replaced, most insurance companies will waive your deductible, leaving no costs for you.
From that site.

Safelite is actually who we recommend/use for glass repairs too.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I wouldn't bother with it, but the scratches are right at the peak of where the wipers go on the drivers side, so I'm staring at the damn things whenever I'm driving. I'll see if I can learn to live with them.

Thanks for all of the infoz!
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

If you have a Binswanger auto glass in your area look into them. They do great work at low cost

I was driving on I-40 about 3 months ago in my moms car (06 4runner) and a 3' wide 6' long 10" deep 65lb box from a Kohler truck fell off the right side of the truck where I was driving and hit the front windshield right in front of my face. Scared me, but I was amazed it didn't go through the windshield.

They paid for it but it was only about 135$ including the green shade across the top and them having to take the rear view mirror on and off the window.

But look into them and they also have solutions for scratches.
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

I called Glass Doctor to fix a chip in my windshield. The dude looked at the chip through a scope, pulled off the scope, sprayed some cleaner on it, wiped it off and said he was done. They told me in advance it wouldn't change the look of the chip, just keep it from spreading.
It took about 2.5 minutes.
I told him he didn't do anything, now we are having a dispute over the payment.
Is it possible he fixed a chip in under 5 minutes? Without using anything other than a little scope? Where was the epoxy or resin or UV light or polishing?