Your Food Constants

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Your Food Constants

Post by Sueven »

Everyone has food items that they have around near-constantly. The shit that you restock on every time you go to the grocery store. What are yours? Snacks, prepared food, drinks, whatever you eat...

For me,

tangerines, cheese sticks, bagged salad, wheat bread, nuts, yogurt, dried pineapple, green giant frozen vegetable stir fry in a bag, kefir, vitamin water or propel (aka, vitamin water and diet vitamin water), tea, coffee, cream for coffee, brita filter, shake ingredients (canned or frozen fruit, soy milk, protein powder, flax seed). and eggs.

I would imagine the list would look a lot different for people with families.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Your Food Constants

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Bread, milk, cereal, sour cream, bananas, bottled water, and peanut butter. It's like there are other people sneaking in and eating this stuff when I'm not looking. Bread is a weird one. If I buy two loaves, it's pretty much a guarantee that one will go stale before we can eat it. However, if I buy a single loaf, it's gone in like 2 fucking days. I just can't win with bread. When my daughter (and also the child curently in the wife) grow up, I'm just going to start getting 2 gallons of milk a week.

For my 1 yr old daughter, I have these little jars of oatmeal/banana/apple cereal that are thick and hearty, not soupy and thin like all the other ones I've tried. The problem is, they only sell them at Wal Mart. It just seems like I go through those at an accelerated rate because I hate going to Wal Mart so much.

It's odd you ask this, since I was thinking of starting a gorcery themed thread the other day.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

ImageImageImageImageImage

I'm a health nut.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

If I buy two loaves, it's pretty much a guarantee that one will go stale before we can eat it. However, if I buy a single loaf, it's gone in like 2 fucking days. I just can't win with bread.
No shit bro! One of my favorite comfort foods is english muffin pizzas--been making them since I was a kid. I will go through a bag of sourdough muffins in 2 days, then stock up, eat like 3-4 and the rest will go bad. I need a shrink.

English Muffin Pizzas

Fork Split 2 sourdough english muffins
Lightly toast the 4 parts in oven at 400F with some garlic powder
Remove from oven and add:

Prepared pizza sauce (Love that cheap Ragu sauce for some reason)
Mozzeralla cheese
Hormel Pepperoni
Fresh sliced jalepenos

Bake at 400F until cheese bubbly
en kærlighed småkager
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

I usually buy the meats and some other quick prep foods at Costco...

Wild Alaska Salmon (Individually wrapped), Whole Roaster Chicken (I cut up and use the bones to make stock), String Cheese, Coffee, Beef for the Crockpot, Pasta (usually ravioli), frozen pizzas, beer & wine, $12-20 block of cheese.

From the grocery store, we buy fruit & veggies (whatever looks good/on sale). I buy the loose mixed greens, tortillas (I eat lots of burritos/wraps), whole wheat bread, 2% milk, blended yogurt, more cheese.

I go to a Japanese market about once a month where I may get seaweed salad, tofu, yakisoba package, udon/soba noodle, pickled dikon radish, pork buns, edamame, wet/dry nori, rice (duh), soy sauce (japanese ketchup), miso, sea salt, rice vinegar, sesame oil, kimchee, eel steak, fish cake, rice crackers, mirin, dashi, and sashimi.

From a local Polish market we get pierogis, golumki, and sausage. From a local Italian place we get fresh made marinara sauce and gnocchi.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Every trip items:
Salad stuff - romaine or leaf lettuce, plum tomatoes, green onions, bell peppers, etc. We usually make a large, basic tossed salad every day or two in a big bowl and add stuff (feta, olives, etc..) to it as it's served.
Apples, pears, misc fresh fruit
Bagged little carrots
Granola bars
Soda for the wife

We usually do a big grocery trip every week or two, and a small one every couple days for things that don't keep.

Most everything else, meat, fish, cereal etc.. comes in bulk from Sam's. It's just the wife and I now, we don't go through much milk, juice, etc.. anymore. Half gallon of milk and OJ a week is about it.

After having to read ingredients\nutrition information for a couple months a while back we buy almost no pre-prepared food anymore, except for Rice-a-Roni.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I often go through phases with some foods, like recently I've been eating a lot of raw cauliflower, so I usually buy a head of it every time I'm at the store. Eventually I'll get sick of it and stop buying it.

Things I always have around:
Organic fat free milk, high-fiber bread, turkey lunch meat, Weight Watchers muffins and snack cakes, cereal-type granola bars (brand changes every month or so when I get tired of them), 100-calories bags of popcorn, egg substitute, grits, oatmeal, raisin bran type cereal, Amy's Indian frozen entrees, Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine/Smart Ones frozen entrees, kefir, carrots
Last edited by Lalanae on March 14, 2008, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I tend to go to the market nearly every day. I keep Diet Dr. Pepper and Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi around, plus whatever random beers are leftover from the last few 6 packs I've bought. I keep a well-stocked spice cabinet and a few bags of dried beans and lentils in the cupboard, along with rice, grits, oatmeal, cornmeal, flour, sugar, various oils and vinegars, etc. I generally keep a few cans of chicken and beef broth around, plus some canned black beans and crushed tomatoes. There's almost always at least one kind of bread on hand, and I have Quaker rice crisps and graham crackers for snacking and Kashi Go Lean Crunch for breakfast. There's normally some bananas here, too. In the fridge, I have peanut butter and various condiments as well as OJ and non-fat milk, and (usually) yogurt. There's almost always a bag of pre-washed salad mix in the crisper along with some carrots, onions, bell peppers, garlic and celery. I like to keep a few bags of frozen vegetables (I almost always have a bag of frozen ears of corn) in the freezer along with a few random Lean Cuisine meals and Amy's vegetarian burritos or samosas. A lot of the time I have bagels and low-fat cream cheese around, but I get sick of 'em after a while and will go for months without having them around.

Otherwise, I generally have leftovers from the most recent meal or two, and some random fresh fruits and veg, basically whatever looked good at my most recent trip to the market.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Hrmmmmm every trip items:

Flour Tortillas
Whole Wheat Bread
Lettuce(s)
Radishes
Carrots
Onions (Yellow, White and Bermuda)
Bell Peppers
Celery
Fresh Garlic
Apples
Bananas
Canned Black Beans
Canned Ranch Style Beans
Canned Refried Beans
Tomato Sauce
Canned Tomatoes
White Rice
Mahatma Yellow Rice + Spanish Rice mixes
Bisquick
Cheese (some preshredded sharp cheddar, sammich sliced longhorn, and others as I crave)
Sliced Ham and Turkey
Canned Tuna
Butter
Free Range Eggs
Cheerios
Rolled Oats
Beer
Wine
Diet Coke
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

I shop almost daily

Must have on hand items:
Olives- good ones and black
Arti Hearts- Costco sells huge bottles of them for like 7 bucks
Pasta- Trader Joes ftw
Butter- Duh
Olive Oil and many Vinegars
I try to keep a 1/2 Gallon of cream in the fridge (Cash and Carry... 6 bucks) lasts me a couple weeks
Chicken stock in the freezer
Sausages and chicken breasts in the freezer (great to pull out and thaw quick) in individual ziplocks
Broccoli
Carrots
Onions
Garlic
Lemons
Canned Crushed Tomatoes
Rice
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:Pasta- Trader Joes ftw
That red wine they serve there is fuckin' money.
Fuck Michigan!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Pherr wrote:Sausages and chicken breasts in the freezer (great to pull out and thaw quick) in individual ziplocks
This works great... I tend to have chicken breast and tilapia up there. Now I also have shrimp and pork loin, but those ones rotate.
Sheryl
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sheryl »

horizon organic fat free milk
kashi granola bars of some variety
raw spinach, bagged
asian pears
some kind of lean lunchmeat and sliced cheese
rye bread
yogurt
frozen entrees of some health conscious variety
low fat cottage cheese
quaker rice cake chips
diet soda of some sort

there's a lot of other junk that makes it onto the grocery list depending on what we're planning to cook for dinner, but this is what gets torn through pretty reliably from week to week.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I don't have too many constants. The only things that I always have at home are:

Onions (red, white and yellow)
Garlic
Lemons
Limes
Red/Green/Orange Bell Peppers
Potatoes (red and yukon gold)
Carrots
Celery
Cuban Crackers
Guava Paste
some sort of bread
some sort of pasta
Eggs
Milk
Diet Coke
Beer
Lurpak Butter
Chorizo
Cheddar Cheese
Bacon
Oatmeal

I don't tend to constantly buy the same kind of meat. I usually will try to alternate between beef, chicken, seafood and pork daily so as not to get bored.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

laneela wrote: Lurpak Butter
she knows what works, yeah she does.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG