Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Re: American Idol 7

Post by Siji »

Wow, this show is a complete fucking joke.

Jason Castro gets his performance called a 'train wreck' and makes it through.
Carly does one of her best performances and gets in the bottom two.

Brooke White forgets the lyrics, stops the song, starts it over and makes it through.
Syesha unquestionably does her best performance of the season and gets in the bottom two.

I can understand the screaming panty wetter votes for Castro, but who the fuck is still voting for Brooke White? That's two weeks in a row that she's seriously fucked up.

Guess I was letting myself think this was actually about talent.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Uh.. When the basis of winning the show is about people calling in to vote... You kinda have to think talent isn't the only reason someone would win. Take it for what it is!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I'm sick of Brooke.
She's been awful week after week. I thought for sure she'd be gone after this week.

Throughout the competition, I couldn't stand Carly.
Her performance this week was the only one I liked (I liked it a lot) and it figures she got the boot.
Heh.

Their theme nights this season have been just fucking horrible....
Dolly Parton and Andrew Lloyd Webber?
How the fuck are they even relevant in pop music?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:I'm sick of Brooke.
She's been awful week after week. I thought for sure she'd be gone after this week.

Throughout the competition, I couldn't stand Carly.
Her performance this week was the only one I liked (I liked it a lot) and it figures she got the boot.
Heh.

Their theme nights this season have been just fucking horrible....
Dolly Parton and Andrew Lloyd Webber?
How the fuck are they even relevant in pop music?
I'd like to add Mariah Carey to that list.. The only thing she has been relevant to in the past 5 years is maybe suicide awareness.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:I'd like to add Mariah Carey to that list.. The only thing she has been relevant to in the past 5 years is maybe suicide awareness.
Well considering her album debuted at number 1 and her latest single also hit number 1, I'd consider her pretty fucking relevant.

I can't fucking stand her but she's as relevant as you can get when it comes to pop music.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I'd like to add Mariah Carey to that list.. The only thing she has been relevant to in the past 5 years is maybe suicide awareness.
Well considering her album debuted at number 1 and her latest single also hit number 1, I'd consider her pretty fucking relevant.

I can't fucking stand her but she's as relevant as you can get when it comes to pop music.
Wow, I guess I wasn't aware that people were still interested in her music. Then again I never listen to the radio so I guess I wouldn't know.

I have lost any desire to even glance at the TV while my girlfriend watches this because of the douchebag with dreads not being sent home weeks ago.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Everything since the Mariah Carey debut has pretty much been.. .meh. In my opinion her debut CD was excellent and showed a lot of talent and range. Now I'm just tired of her sounding her dog whistle in every song. Yes we know you can hit those notes already stfu. So as much as I dislike the present era of Mariah Carey I'll always find her debut CD to be great overall and have no problems listening to it. Two thumbs up!

And Andrew Llyod Webber rocks!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:Wow, I guess I wasn't aware that people were still interested in her music. Then again I never listen to the radio so I guess I wouldn't know.

How could you comment her relevance to pop music, if you don't listen to the radio where it is played?

Also, didn't she surpass Elvis for the number of #1 songs/singles/albums or something like that with the latest release?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:Everything since the Mariah Carey debut has pretty much been.. .meh. In my opinion her debut CD was excellent and showed a lot of talent and range. Now I'm just tired of her sounding her dog whistle in every song. Yes we know you can hit those notes already stfu.
Apparently she doesn't resort to those vocal histrionics hardly at all on her new one.
It's a lot more restrained and laid back... according to the reviews.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Wow, I guess I wasn't aware that people were still interested in her music. Then again I never listen to the radio so I guess I wouldn't know.

How could you comment her relevance to pop music, if you don't listen to the radio where it is played?

Also, didn't she surpass Elvis for the number of #1 songs/singles/albums or something like that with the latest release?
I comment on it because I have a girlfriend who is very into pop culture (people magazine, american idol and other shows, etc) and I haven't heard a peep about Mariah since she tried to off herself.

And you may be right about the Elvis thing.. no clue. I liked her first cd and ever since then her shit is all the same.. A bunch of the same old love songs or songs about downs in life, and she usually tosses in one dance song with a random rapper to spice things up..
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:Everything since the Mariah Carey debut has pretty much been.. .meh. In my opinion her debut CD was excellent and showed a lot of talent and range. Now I'm just tired of her sounding her dog whistle in every song. Yes we know you can hit those notes already stfu. So as much as I dislike the present era of Mariah Carey I'll always find her debut CD to be great overall and have no problems listening to it. Two thumbs up!

And Andrew Llyod Webber rocks!
It almost never happens but I agree with you.. The high pitch screeching was impressive the first time around and since then it's boring and monotonous just like every other aspect of her music.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Boogahz wrote:

Yes she has more #1 singles than anyone in history now.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I didn't watch this show but Carly was one of the only ones who had a voice I liked. That's a travesty.
- Ash
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Like Carly or not (I did more so in the beginning than towards the end), she certainly had a better voice than either Brooke or Castro. Neither of them have any real vocal talent. I'm really, really sick of Brooke and her whiny eyes.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Jason Castro may not have a strong voice or a large range but he's got a very distinct, recognizeable quality to his voice.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

The only quality to Castro's voice is that it hasn't done everyone a favor and gone away.

It would be a guilty pleasure to watch someone punch Brooke White in the nose.

After this week's repeat crap-tastic performances by Brooke and Jason, if one of them doesn't get the boot next, this will be my last post on this as it'll be the last week I watch.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Neil Diamond, what the fuck?

Everyone fucking sucked except David Cook.

Archuleta destroyed the only Neil Diamond I find remotely enjoyable (sweet Caroline)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I have felt that this year was rigged for Archuleta to win from the first Hollywood show.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Neil Diamond definitely rocks! I don't know how anyone could have an issue with a Neil Diamond theme! Unless if the people doing it suck I suppose.

And really don't take it so personally who wins. This is voted on by the American public and we all know what a smashing job they did in 2000 and 2004. Well they probably got it right in 2000 but I don't think you'll have the supreme court crowing an AI winner.

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

miir wrote:Neil Diamond, what the fuck?

Archuleta destroyed the only Neil Diamond I find remotely enjoyable (sweet Caroline)
Have to agree on Archuleta. I hope it's him in the final two with Cook, but that's just because he's got a better voice than everyone but Cook. I was having a hard time thinking about what kind of music Archuleta would do on his own CD if he won though.. somehow, I don't think it would do very well.

It's also getting really old having the judges (ala Simon) basically telling the audience who should be in trouble for the elimination. Rate their performances, but quit guiding the votes (e.g. Syesha).

As for Neil Diamond.. eh. It's a better catalog of songs to choose from (if the contestants would have even bothered to do anything more than regurgitate the songs as is (like Cook did)) than say Dolly Parton. The ALW show was good if only to show who had vocal talent and who doesn't. Granted, it's not relative to pop music but as a test of talent it worked. Being that I can't stand Mariah I won't comment on her being a good choice or not. She seems popular.

I'd like to see a Queen night and maybe an George Michael night. Highly talented vocalists with a large catalog of songs to choose from with a lot of different types of songs. However they'll probably do something monotone like Cher or The Doors..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't watch this show, but I heard on the radio that Paula Abdule was telling one of the singers that they sounded worse than the last time she heard them. Someone then told her that this was their first performance. Her response was, "oh, I thought you had sung twice for us already"

With clueless people like that judging contestants, how can this be taken more seriously than the WWF?
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/3 ... index.html
Paula Abdul gets confused on 'Idol'

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Paula Abdul must be hearing double.
Abdul

Paula Abdul (center) was flustered by a new judging presentation system on "American Idol."

On a night when "American Idol" switched up the judges' format by making them hold their appraisals until every contestant had a turn, Abdul offered feedback Tuesday for two songs by Jason Castro -- except that he'd only sung one.

Unlike the usual format, in which each "Idol" performance is judged immediately, Abdul, Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell were made to take notes, then offer individual critiques in rapid succession at the end of each round. The reason, Seacrest explained, was because "this show is so tight."

So after each of the final five contestants sang one Neil Diamond song, Jackson zipped through his appraisals, offering a few terse words for each before kicking it to a visibly flustered Abdul.

"Oh gosh, we've never had to write these things down ... fast enough," she began, shuffling through her notecards. "Jason, first song, I loved hearing your lower register, which we never really hear, um ... ."

And that's where it started going off the rails. Video Watch Abdul's befuddlement »

"The second song, I felt like your usual charm wasn't -- it was missing for me. It kind of left me a little empty."

Indeed.

All six people on stage, including Seacrest, stared blankly (except Syesha Mercado, who wore the furrowed brow of mystification).

"The two songs," she continued, "made me feel like you're not fighting hard enough to get into the top four."

After a smattering of nervous crowd laughter, Jackson finally broke the tension.

"That was just on the first song," he said sheepishly, pointing up to Castro. "Just on the first one."

Simon Cowell closed his eyes and shook his head, and began to guffaw as Abdul's confusion mounted.

"Oh my god, I thought you -- I thought you sang twice!" she said.

She explained that she got confused by looking ahead at the notes for David Cook.

At that point Seacrest, who makes his money by smoothing over situations just such as these, pointed to Abdul, saying: "You're seeing the future, baby!" before cutting her off and throwing to Cowell.

Even Cowell gathered himself to help patch up the moment, patting Abdul on the shoulder and asking, as if to speed things along, "Paula, who was your favorite?"

Her reply: Cook (the same contestant whose performance she supposedly noted as having left her "empty").

Pressed for time, Cowell then put an end to the awkward-fest by bursting into his own rapid-fire valuation: "Jason, forgettable; David Cook, just above average; Brooke (White) a nightmare; David Archuleta, I thought it was amateurish; and Syesha, I thought it was old-fashioned.

"So guys ... I want to see the performance of a lifetime coming up," he said, as if to ensure absolute clarity, "the second time around."

Abdul told "Entertainment Tonight" after the show that she was thrown for a loop when producers apprised the judges of the change "in the dark" at the last minute.

"This was officially the strangest show we've ever done," Cowell said at the conclusion of the telecast, "but I like that. It's kind of a bit chaotic tonight."
- Ash
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

About time. Buh bye Brooke White.

Next bottom two will be Jason and Syesha. One will go next week, the other the following week putting the David's in the final 2. (Assuming Archuleta doesn't fug up badly in the next 2 weeks.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I was very surprised that Cook won...

It was embarrasingly obvious that the show wanted Archuletta to win but I guess viewers started to get bored of his same old boring shit week after week. He's a good singer with a really nice voice but whenever he tried anything that wasn't a ballad, he sounded right fucking awful.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Wife told me. Good.
- Ash
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I caught the end of this and I think it would have been cooler if he was pumped up and excited, jumping around and shouting... instead of crying like a little bitch.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I was completely surprised that Cook won - especially after Ryan said "and the winner by 12 million votes is..."

I'm wondering if the judges don't have a head's up to the vote count. I found it odd that Simon apologized to Cook.

Anyway, I'm glad. Neither of them were my favorites but I much prefer Cook to that fake-modest, lip-licking boring-ass kid.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think Simon is starting to get soft for the same reason that many people have lost interest in american idol. The show is boring and repetitive, and most of the winners go off to sell a couple hundred thousand records and then disappear like they should.

The finale should be a 15 minute thing, maybe 30 tops. No bringing back the top twelve, no having some washed up singer no one besides middle age women give a fuck about sing on stage, none of that shit. Start the show, say who won, and have the winner sing their song, the end.

Really, I don't even see how it can be entertaining to watch anymore, the finale is a cookie cutter copy every year, hell even some of the songs they sing and guests they have on the finale get repeated year after year..

I think in 2 or 3 seasons when the show is done (I can't remember which, I just know simon didn't sign for much longer), people will be ready for it to go.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Yea, I personally start losing interest when it comes down to the last 5 or 6 people.
I'll watch the tuesday night show if I happen to find myself in front of the TV and I'll watch the last 10-15 minutes of the wednesday night show just to see who get's booted off.

American Idol is a ratings monster.
It's a guaranteed hit year after year.
Their finale show gets HUGE ratings and they would be stupid to not get as much advertising revenue as possible out of it.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Ok, since my dad is still in the hospital, my mom has been staying with us. As a result I watched the first episode of American Idol 2 nights ago,since the bad singers weeks. I was actually modestly impressed with Cook. He did more diverse songs, plays guitar and has a nice voice. Archuletta was boring to watch after 1 episode. Someone else brought it up, but I do not know what his CD would sound like. 12 really slow songs I guess.

I was surprised by the results though, I thought Archuletta was tailor made for the majority of Idol's audience...teen girls.... and of course since he has not figured out he is gay, but I think everyone else has, I figured he would get a huge % of the gay male audience. I was actually pleased to see the better talent seemed to win. I do not know how Cook compared to the rest of the final 10, but he was clearly more at ease on stage and more of a risk taker with song selection. He was also more talented then David A. I also think his sales should be significantly higher then Archuletta.

Finally, is every Idol finale that commercial focused? Next year are they are going to make the finalists come out in Nascar like uniforms and sneak sponsor names into the songs? The Love Guru tie in was painful to watch. Thankfully the Laker game was on, so I got to miss a large chuck of the show.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I had most of the show muted as I was watching something on the computer at the time too. I happened to catch the Guitar Hero commercial with Archuletto (no clue how to actually spell this) and wanted to take my game back.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Tyek wrote:Finally, is every Idol finale that commercial focused?
From the final 12 (?), the show goes into full on commercial/marketing mode.
They are blatant and shameless about it.
The results shows are far worse than the performance shows
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

I had no faith that Cook would get the votes, and was extremely pleased that he did. You could pretty much tell that he didn't think he'd get it either. (Same with the judges - look at Simon's face when he stands up clapping, it's like a boy on Christmas morning).

As for his reaction, I think he handled it with style. He hasn't been an animated person at any time in the series, and if he would have done it now it would have been like the Dean Scream. You can be confident that Archuletta wouldn't have been as gracious towards Cook had he won. Cook showed class throughout the entire series, as well as more originality and talent. Listening to Archuletta try to sing "Hero" with Cook was painful. Watching him do the guitar hero commercial was like a prison enema - he didn't even try to mouth the words through most of it. Cook doing it was believable and kind of cool. Archuletta started to remind me of Brooke White with his deer in headlights looks. As for Cook tearing up, you try winning a contest in front of millions of people and have your dream come true all at the same time. Especially when you're pretty certain you didn't win. Give me a winning lottery number and I'd cry like a baby too.

Syesha.. she deserved to be in the final two. She kicked ass last night. I think she'll do well depending on who she accepts songs from.

Diss George Michael all you like, he's arguably got one of the best voices (for adult contemporary music) in the business. However, last night he looked really, really bad. I can't quite place my finger on it, and I know he said he had a cold but his face looked really messed up. I was almost wondering if it was an impersonator. In any case, he was definitely the best and most talented guest performer for this season.

I haven't talked to a single person that found the whole Pips thing funny. It was just plain stupid. Then again, I don't idolize Jack Black either. He has his moments, but it's always the same shit with him. Downey looked like he was forced to do it and the other guy, I can't stand anyway.

Bryan Adams? Seriously?

ZZ Top.. boring.

One Republic.. would have been good, except for Archuletta fucking it up. I was starting to wonder if he knows how to stay on key during harmonies.

Amanda whatever her name is .. Damn I'm glad she got voted out. She looked miserable and I wanted her off the screen asap. Could care less if it wasn't her 'style' of music. You're a performer, you perform.

Castro - did I miss something, or did he fall on his ass in the opening number? All I remember seeing was when they all stopped the song bent over with their arms up, he came tumbling back into line and tried to get into the same position.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Anyone who doubt's George Michael's talent should watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-7jmD7OxE
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Funny you mention that concert.. I always thought that GM would be a nice replacement for a tribute tour with Queen. Couldn't see it being a permanent thing, but would have been nice. Vocals wise, GM is second to Freddie Mercury. They're both amazing vocalists, whether you like their music or not.

This song haunts me. I've heard all of the original performers and other cover artists doing it, but none match this one to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfd7a1hEJf0&
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Truant wrote:Anyone who doubt's George Michael's talent should watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-7jmD7OxE
Was alright, wasn't particularly impressed. Then again I've never been much for Queen either.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The only people who would say George Michael didn't posses talent, even though the music might not be thier kind of thang, are asshat bigots who think his personal life has anything to do with his musical ability.

--
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Siji wrote:Funny you mention that concert.. I always thought that GM would be a nice replacement for a tribute tour with Queen. Couldn't see it being a permanent thing, but would have been nice. Vocals wise, GM is second to Freddie Mercury. They're both amazing vocalists, whether you like their music or not.

This song haunts me. I've heard all of the original performers and other cover artists doing it, but none match this one to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfd7a1hEJf0&
That is beautiful. The original always did something for me as well, it's just a wonderful song.

GM would have been great for some Queen stuff, but I don't know if he could handle the hard rocking Queen stuff. He has a great voice, and incredible range, but I've never heard him do any 'rock' vocals (vocal break up stuff). He may very well have done that and I'm just not aware of it.

I'm sure you know this, but Queen toured with Paul Rodgers (Bad Company, Free, The Firm, etc. etc. etc.) with good result. Freddie was actually a friend and big fan of Paul Rodgers (who also has an incredible set of pipes, even today). I thought Paul did a great job of tipping his hat to Freddie in the performances without trying to sound like Freddie.

Here's some stuff from that.
We Are the Champions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs5kurU6 ... re=related
Fat Bottomed Girls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjrHNu-U ... re=related
and Bohemian Rhapsody (this one is a bit quieter than the last two)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-TR29M ... re=related
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:The only people who would say George Michael didn't posses talent, even though the music might not be thier kind of thang, are asshat bigots who think his personal life has anything to do with his musical ability.
I have no clue about him in his personal life or any reason why it would effect what people thought about him... Is he a nazi? Druggie? Gay? I really have no clue.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

He's really a gay black man who idolizes Hitler while shooting up heroin.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:He's really a gay black man who idolizes Hitler while shooting up heroin.
Wasn't he arrested for doing lines of coke off hitler's corpse's penis?
That's what I hears.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
Aslanna wrote:He's really a gay black man who idolizes Hitler while shooting up heroin.
Wasn't he arrested for doing lines of coke off hitler's corpse's penis?
That's what I hears.
Sounds like a swell guy!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Truant wrote:but Queen toured with Paul Rodgers (Bad Company, Free, The Firm, etc. etc. etc.) with good result.
Never been a fan of Paul Rodgers, and personally speaking couldn't stand him doing Queen. It's highly likely though that I'd have felt the same way with just about anyone.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

George Michael's album that has "Faith" on it has some great bass. Great for demoing new speakers to test out the lows.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:George Michael's album that has "Faith" on it has some great bass. Great for demoing new speakers to test out the lows.
RIP George Michael.

2016 has been the shittiest year I've been alive.. By far!

--