Connecting to zone server

Toalin
Gets Around
Gets Around

Connecting to zone server

Post by Toalin »

So ive been running everquest 2 on my laptop with vista premium had no issues, and 2 pcs with xp ive tried it on , wifes and a friends at my house, my brother has brought his laptop over with vista ultimate, after scouring the tech forums and various websites im still drawing a blank

the problem we are having is, we can patch the game, make characters but when the go to log into world, have been connecting to zone server and it halts there , indefinitely.
so far have disabled firewall in windows, any other security programs running have been turned off or uninstalled,
antivirus disabled/enabled doesnt make a difference. have installed another firewall and added all eq2 ports as advertised also including allowing eq2 to run.

oh and the laptop is new, fresh install with only eq2 installed previously, and the stuff that comes with it,

If anyone has experienced this worked out a fix or read about a fix somewhere can they please enlighten me

Thanks

Toalin
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Connecting to zone server

Post by Ashur »

Only problem I ever had with that was PeerGuardian 2 (I read what you said about uninstalling or disabling security software, just adding what little value I can). Even after adding all their server IPs I run into yet more when I hit a different zone.
- Ash
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

toalin sucks

that is all

danes are superior.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Too bad you're not a dane!
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

Couple of updates to check for and uninstall.

1. Video update for 7900 (if you have that video card)
2. Atheros LAN update

I don't remember which one for sure, but I believe it was the video update for the nvidia 7900gs that did the exact same thing to me on Vista Ultimate. Could get to char select screen, pick any char and then hit the "connecting to zone server" and just hang indefinitely. I believe what was happening was when the game tried to kick in the video card just refused. Folks said they saw me logged in but I never got beyond the connecting to zone message.

The Atheros LAN update caused a different issue i believe. My mobo is an Asus P5-b and I use the onboard eth port, that vista update screwed something up.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

<3 Toalin!
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Toalin
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Toalin »

Pfft Danes < Aussies

as for the video card currently updated to latest drivers from site, its a 9500M GS.
however it sounds very similar to the 7900 problem, and new drivers have same problem, hopefully they release another update soon, ive emailed sony and the ASUS with the issue to see if they have a solution but still waiting days later, i suppose with sony i should be used to waiting months, till then my wife has lost the rights to the home pc that runs eq2!.

Edit:
Oh just got a reply from sony, your video card isnt supported and because eq2 was designed for desktop pc, we arnt able to add support for most laptops, because of this we cannot provide you with technical support.

So basically, we wont support new technology or the fact people play games on things other than desktop pcs anymore, so you can go off and spend your money somewhere else because we are still living in the 1990s.

~Toal
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I would expect the card manufacturer to support the card long before SOE. If you're getting tech help from them, you're asking for your computer to blow up in your face!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

That's their usual auto-response for people having issues with DX10 cards...
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Toalin
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Toalin »

yea i figured as much with the response, guess ill just have to let my brother use 1 of my computers till his laptop video drivers get an update and try again or just play something else if it gets over the top annoying.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Toalin wrote:yea i figured as much with the response, guess ill just have to let my brother use 1 of my computers till his laptop video drivers get an update and try again or just play something else if it gets over the top annoying.
Have you tried the EQ2 support forum?
There's some good info and helpful people there.
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/foru ... forum_id=4
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z