Report: Santana dealt to Mets

What do you think about the sports world?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Report: Santana dealt to Mets

Post by Canelek »

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/articl ... p&c_id=nym
MINNEAPOLIS -- The Twins and Mets have agreed to a deal that would send two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana to New York in exchange for four prospects, according to published reports, the first one by USA Today, on Tuesday.
The deal is contingent on the Mets and Santana reaching an agreement on a six-or-seven year contract extension. Indications are that Santana is seeking a deal worth close to $150 million dollars. The Mets have been granted a 48-to-72 hour window to negotiate the extension and Santana is expected to waive his no-trade clause if an agreement is reached. The left-hander must also pass a physical.

According to the report, the four prospects that that Twins would be receiving in the deal are outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.

I am amazed that they could pull this off without including Fernando Martinez. This is very exciting stuff and eases the monumental collapse last September a touch. If Pedro and Orlando can stay healthy; and Maine and Perez come close to last season's effort, this may be a pretty formidable rotation. :)

They have the money for a 6 year deal, especially since they have SNY now as well as the new park opening in 2009.
Last edited by Canelek on January 29, 2008, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
en kærlighed småkager
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: Reports: Santana dealt to Mets

Post by Xyphir »

What a crap-tacular deal for the Twins. They replace Torii Hunter with an unproven rookie and get a couple of other pitching prospects. On the other hand, it's still up to the Mets to sign Santana, but it looks like a done deal. He'll, without a doubt, become the highest paid pitcher ever, dwarfing the amount Clemens got in '05 and Barry Zito last year, but that was going to happen regardless.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Report: Santana dealt to Mets

Post by Canelek »

They will sign him to 6 years. Anything to wash the taste out of their collective mouths from September. Of course, this is pending a physical and negotiations.

The Twins get:

Gomez: A real talent and is a touch faster than Reyes. I watched almost every Mets game last year (via MLB.TV) so got to see this kid a lot. Very raw, but the talent is indeed there. I don't know about a power threat though.

Humber: He briefly saw some action in mop-up duty last season with the big club, and had 1 start. He seems to have regained his form after the 2005 Tommy John surgery, although the jury is still out until he sees regular playing time.

Mulvey: Highly-touted, but I have not seen him pitch. Decent ERA with AA Binghampton last year. Not sure of his other stats.

Guerra: I didn't know he was a prospect as I don't recall hearing anything about him until today although I gloss over players that young when reading minor league scouting reports.

I think the Mets got the better deal here.

As far as contracts, I would rather see a bonafide ace like Santana take the $$$ than a "good" innings-eater(Zito) or a pay-per-play non-teammate(Clemens).
en kærlighed småkager
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I guess Glavine won't be missed :lol:. It really will be an exciting team to watch again this year.

That is a massive deal, even better than Pedro since Santana is in his prime. He has the possibility of sick numbers in the Long Island pitcher parks w/out a DH.

I wasn't familiar w/ any of the guys save Humber since he's been highly touted before his injury. Save for injuries, they are going to be mighty tough. I'm curious if Pedro will give up his "ace" slot quietly.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I think Pedro realizes he can't be an ace unless he plays. I really hope that he will be driven this year though. Not that he isn't driven anyways! I think a pitcher like Santana can be a big positive to the entire rotation though.

Look for "The Boss" to try and make a move so he can have part of the back page back. :)

Also, looks like Livan Hernandez is still available as a free agent. Even though he has been in decline, he is still relatively young (32) unless his age corresponds with his half-brother Orlando who is either 37, 42 or 65.

I still think it will be a dogfight in the NL East (aside from the Nationals). The Subway Series will also be another big event(s).
en kærlighed småkager
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

What a fucking steal!! The yanks package was so much better than what the mets were offering. I'm sure as shit glad they didnt pull the trigger on it because I think Hughes is going to do some sick things in pin stripes... And I sure as shit wouldn't have given johan a six year deal... gtfo....
Timmah.

Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Should be a good deal for the Mets, tho I am not sure it will put them over the top. There are quite a few holes in that team. If the SP's stay healthy they have as good a shot as anyone
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Looks like there is a preliminary agreement to a 6 year extension worth over 20mil/yr with a no-trade claus. This was from multiple sources via google news.

Of course, there is still a need for physicals for all players involved.
en kærlighed småkager