Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

The Hobbit

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It's been a long, bumpy road getting this prequel going. It's root problem was the lawsuite between New Line and Peter Jackson over financial earnings of the LotR films. This rose to almost soap opra levels of drama. Anyway, fans basically agree that if anyone else but Jackson does this prequel, it just wouldn't be the same. Time moves on, lawyers settle things, money changes hands, and now Jackson is on board in an executive producer role, with director rumors flying left and right. The original "strong" rumor was Sam Rami. He was talked up prior to the lawsuite being settled and was quoted as saying he refused to direct the movie without Peter Jackson's blessing.

Fast forward to recent times, and the latest rumor is pointing at Guillermo del Toro (a director I adore fyi). Guillermo is known to have a deep respect for Jackson and when he was unable to direct the Halo movie, he was excied that Jackson was going to replace him. (That movie is now in limbo).

Here's the latest from Dark Horizons:
Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" for New Line and MGM says The Hollywood Reporter.

One of the most anticipated literary adaptations of the past decade in the wake of the success of "The Lord of the Rings", New Line has to tread carefully to not upset its billion-dollar franchise or its fanbase.

The resolution of a lawsuit in December put the project back on track, but 'Rings' director Peter Jackson could not take on writing and directing roles due to other commitments - instead he'll serve as executive producer.

Tolkien's 1937 prequel to 'Rings' centered on Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who joins a group of dwarves and the wizard Gandalf on a quest to find the treasure of a dragon named Smaug.

Del Toro however commands a lot of respect thanks to a large geek fanbase, a love of the source material, and most notably an acclaimed sense of fantasy filmmaking seen in such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Devil's Backbone," "Hellboy" and "Blade 2".

Because of the strike, no writer has been hired yet though that process will be fast-tracked once it's resolved. Del Toro and Jackson will oversee "Hobbit's" writing.

Both films will be shot simultaneously during 2009 for a total production budget of $300 million (the original 'Rings' trilogy cost an economically modest $270 million). The release of the first film is slated for 2010 and the second in 2011.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: The Hobbit

Post by Canelek »

I am glad to see this arrangement if it pans out. Pan's Labyrinth was gorgeous and I think del Toro is an excellent director.

It almost would be more interesting for The Hobbit if it had del Toro's direction style as opposed to Jackson's (after all, The Hobbit and LOTR books had much different feels).

As far as Raimi....I have soured on his spiderman series....he needs to go back to EVIL DEAD, where he shines. :D
en kærlighed småkager
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Does this mean no more gay hobbits?

:(
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Thread merge on aisle 4 please.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It's official, del Toro got it!

It's finally official folks, Director Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy," "Pan's Labyrinth") has signed to direct New Line and MGM's "The Hobbit" and its sequel.

According to Variety, the announcement came came Thursday afternoon from executive producers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, New Line president Toby Emmerich, and newly named MGM chief Mary Parent.

Del Toro's will move to New Zealand for the next four years to work with Jackson and his Wingnut and Weta production teams.

He'll also direct the two films back to back with the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between "The Hobbit" and 2001's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring".

The studios have not given a start date on production and don't yet have a script. It's widely expected that the "LOTR" scripting team of Jackson, Walsh and Philippa Boyens will collaborate with Del Toro.

The general thought is that they will start shooting next year and release the films in late 2011 and 2012.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Hope they use the same actors.. a different Gandalf would suck. And hope it doesn't look like creatures out of Pan's like Hellboy2 does.
Taison Earbiter
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Taison Earbiter »

Jackson is still going to have his hand in this movie. I'm pretty sure WETA will be doing both the physical and digital effects for the film.
"The secret of being boring is to say everything."
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Siji wrote:Hope they use the same actors.. a different Gandalf would suck. And hope it doesn't look like creatures out of Pan's like Hellboy2 does.
I read today that it was confirmed that Sir Ian McKellan is officially back playing Gandalf.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

What material do they plan on basing the sequel to the Hobbit on?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Sueven wrote:What material do they plan on basing the sequel to the Hobbit on?
The first two Harry Potter books.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I believe the plan is to do a 'what happened in between' kind of thing...it might very well suck fantastically. Although, it could be interesting to focus on Gandalf in those years, or, even more interesting: Tom Bombadil.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Edit- nevermind, I need to practice reading comprehension.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

even more interesting: Tom Bombadil
Oh fuck yeah man! Sylvos sorta reminds me of ol Tom, but that may just be the prancing about and whatnot. :D
en kærlighed småkager
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I'll have to see if I can dig up the link, but someone wrote a very convincing scholarly paper about why Tom Bombadil is actually our of the Valar, Aule specifically. It was a compelling case and turned me into a believer.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:
even more interesting: Tom Bombadil
Oh fuck yeah man! Sylvos sorta reminds me of ol Tom, but that may just be the prancing about and whatnot. :D
only problem with that is tom wasnt gay
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Thread necromancy time!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/dec ... ett-hobbit

Seems they are planning to show us the White Council vs the Necromancer/Sauron in Dul Guldor/Mirkwood stuff as part of The Hobbit movies (remember when Gandalf runs off after dropping them off at Mirkwood and doesn't show up again until the Battle of the Five Armies?). They've got Cate Blanchett coming back as Galadriel and have even cast Beorn and Radagast the Brown.
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Wasn't that whole Necromancer story based on the Rush song of the same name? :D
en kærlighed småkager
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

That would be a great story to see play out on the big-screen. I've always wanted to know more about that battle even though it's only briefly mentioned. With it being a two part film I think they'd be able to fit that in- especially if each part is close to 3 hours long like with LoTR.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Siji wrote:Hope they use the same actors.. a different Gandalf would suck. And hope it doesn't look like creatures out of Pan's like Hellboy2 does.
Danny DeVito as Gandalf and Hugh Jackman as Frollo :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Bilbo and The Unexpected Party!

The Dwarves!