Owwwww!

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Owwwww!

Post by Lalanae »

Ok, so between the holidays & getting stranded out of state because of my transmission, I hadn't been to the gym in over a week. So yesterday I went and did strength training for all muscle groups plus an hour cardio. I am in pain! All over!

Anyway couple questions.

(1) Is is bad to do all muscle groups at one time or does it not matter? Beyond having ALL your muscles aching at one time, I would assume it doesn't matter, but I could be wrong.

(2) Is there any way to help prevent muscle ache after a good workout? Something to do/take before/after? I went to bed early for a change (hooray!) but kept waking up in the middle of the night as the pain started to creep in...

I'm looking at adjusting my workout so that I work all muscle groups 3 times a week now. I need a good push and it is the New Year :) I also got a catalog in yesterday that had THE cutest dress in the world in it and am using it for motivation. Not allowed to buy it until I reduce a dress size!
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Owwwww!

Post by Sueven »

With the disclaimer that I'm not an expert:
(1) Is is bad to do all muscle groups at one time or does it not matter? Beyond having ALL your muscles aching at one time, I would assume it doesn't matter, but I could be wrong.
No, as long as you don't work them the next day.
(2) Is there any way to help prevent muscle ache after a good workout? Something to do/take before/after? I went to bed early for a change (hooray!) but kept waking up in the middle of the night as the pain started to creep in...
Not that I know of, although maybe advil or w/e would help? I like the muscle burn, it makes me feel like I did a good job. Also, I find that the more I work out, the less I ache after a workout.
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bojangels »

I like the sore feeling also, but it seems to me that I don't get sore/as sore if I stretch for a good few minutes right after I'm done working out.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Stretching before and after a workout greatly reduces your chances of getting sore. Being well hydrated helps too. It worked when I was in the Army, although I rarely went longer than a weekend without working out.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Menelaos
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Menelaos »

Stretching for 5-10 minutes before and after a workout greatly reduces risk of injury and will greatly reduce the muscle pain/burn from a workout ;) And lots of water, the proper diet, and rest! Remember, it is during sleep that your muscles actually heal and grow :)

I think there are differing schools of thought on full-body workouts all in the same day. Many say that you do not want to work out opposing groups of muscles on the same day: the flexors and extensor muscles or whatnot. For example, it is supposedly not ideal to work out both the triceps AND biceps on the same day, the hamstring AND quadriceps on the same day, etc. I am not sure how much validity this school of thought has though.

What say you, Kwon?