Borderlands

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Borderlands

Post by Funkmasterr »

Anyone else that is excited for this game, I think it looks pretty badass. From the little I have read it seems like it will be a shooter that is done in a diablo kind of style (random dungeon generator.) There seem to be countless weapon combos you can make that are actually unique and make a difference (barrels, scopes, etc). It's not out till September though, a week after Fallout 3, man is that gonna be a good game month :)

Teaser Trailer
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Borderlands

Post by Funkmasterr »

This game still looks to be a pretty kick ass game! I was reading a article today though and was a little put off by it.

They were describing the characters, and one of them was named Roland, who specializes in guns, and has a pet bloodwing, which was compared to a falcon. Might sound familiar to anyone who has read the Dark Tower books.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I have two friends that work at Gearbox, so I'm looking forward to beta testing this!
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xouqoa wrote:I have two friends that work at Gearbox, so I'm looking forward to beta testing this!
Lucky!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I've listened to some interviews with the dev team and I gotta admit this sounds fucking awsome.

Check out this video interview from Giant Bomb. I love this developer's thought process. Right around 5:10 is a great part to listen to about the weapon system and how they are implimenting "diablo-style" loot into a FPS co-op game. Gear Builder for the win!

http://www.giantbomb.com/randy-pitchfor ... s/17-1098/
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

This game is going to be all sorts of bad ass, might be the game I'm most excited about this fall.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This game has quickly gone from simply being on my radar to one of my most anticipated games of the year. Since a lot of the big titles are being delayed until 2010 hopefully this game gets more love.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:This game has quickly gone from simply being on my radar to one of my most anticipated games of the year. Since a lot of the big titles are being delayed until 2010 hopefully this game gets more love.
Yeah I hope so too, I have at least 5 or 6 friends that will be playing it too so there should be plenty of co op for you to join in on if you want :D
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I too think this game will be badass after reading some of the recent interviews and hands on commentary.

Aion and Badlands should be high on everyone's list.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

It sound really good...but on the other hand, the last time someone said Diablo with Guns, RPG shooter, we got Hellgate London :).
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Hesten wrote:It sound really good...but on the other hand, the last time someone said Diablo with Guns, RPG shooter, we got Hellgate London :).

This same comparison has been made on Giant Bomb and they are assuring everyone that nothing could be further from the truth. They said something like "It's like Hellgate London, except made by people that know what they're doing and don't suck". :)
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Hesten wrote:It sound really good...but on the other hand, the last time someone said Diablo with Guns, RPG shooter, we got Hellgate London :).

This same comparison has been made on Giant Bomb and they are assuring everyone that nothing could be further from the truth. They said something like "It's like Hellgate London, except made by people that know what they're doing and don't suck". :)
Hellgate London didnt suck....it REALLY sucked :)
Not saying anything bad about it, but the last time i tried it, after a LONG break because it was pretty boring, but i wanted to complete it, the auto patcher didnt work so had to download manual patches, but the links didnt work for those, so had to grab random files from game review websites till you got the right one (total of 3 hours spend downloading wrong patches/upgrades), 2 comp crashes and 3 freezes before i got to play more than 30 sec of it.

Then i said fuck it and uninstalled the junk, or rather TRIED to, since the bloody game then required the DVD to uninstall itself. So had to find the DVD that i had already put over on the shelf when i gave up :) First and only time i seen a game require the install media to uninstall.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Stop faggoting up the Bordelands thread with your lame Hellgate London stories! You're killing the buzz!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

No amount of foreign sounding posts could lower my eager anticipation for this game! Now to find the Dark Tower books somewhere...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

:( : I don't have any friends that work at Gearbox any more, so I doubt I will get an advance copy.

:) : One of them now works at Bioware in Austin and is working on the Star Wars MMO. :D
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Will get this, just wished there were more than four classes/archetypes. Neither is really interesting.

Will prolly end up playing the Berserker Brick or the Phasing Lass.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Soon! Yes, soon!

A Must-get game this!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Grabbed it and played it for 10 minutes.

Demon's Souls calls!

The graphics won't be distracting. They look sharp and detailed. Cell shading nice change from usual stuff.

I died, ran out of ammo. I choose Phasewalker chick. Her special ability is to go invisible and move fast, upon exiting Phasewalk, she creates some sort of blast damage. There loooks to be four types of classes you can choose. Phasewalker (fire blasts), Beserker, Soldier and Sniper.

Game seems pretty polished. Menus/UI seem good.

Might be fun. I hope running out of ammo so fast in tutorial isn't a sign of major resource management issues being required. Not fun having to run around searching for ammo all the time.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The reviews are starting to come in and they're looking good for Broderlands! I'll be at Best Buy tomorrow when they open.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:I too think this game will be badass after reading some of the recent interviews and hands on commentary.

Aion and Badlands should be high on everyone's list.
Badlands isn't quite as good as Borderlands imho!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

I realize this is the console forum, but is there a reason people would not get this on PC? I have absolutely no intention of playing any kind of FPS on a console when there's a PC version available to me. Also, I don't have a PS3 or Xbox 360...
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Psyloche wrote:I realize this is the console forum, but is there a reason people would not get this on PC? I have absolutely no intention of playing any kind of FPS on a console when there's a PC version available to me. Also, I don't have a PS3 or Xbox 360...
Because most of us left that play video games (and actually talk about them) seem to prefer console gaming for a variety of reasons. For me, it's a myth that controls on a pc are far superior. Things have been done in both the technology, controls, and the way games play to correct that. And secondly, I <3 xbox live - I have a ton of friends on Xbox Live that will be getting this game, plus the ability to do split screen locally is awesome.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I'm not going to speak to others but frankly I've turned to Console gaming because I really enjoy getting a game, bringing it home, plugging in the disk and just playing without having to worry about tweaking graphic settings, messing with drivers or the endless upgrade cycle that accompanies PC gaming.

I can easily do all of the above, most likely with a blindfold on and with both hands tied behind my back. I just really don't find the whole process all that enjoyable anymore.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:I'm not going to speak to others but frankly I've turned to Console gaming because I really enjoy getting a game, bringing it home, plugging in the disk and just playing without having to worry about tweaking graphic settings, messing with drivers or the endless upgrade cycle that accompanies PC gaming.

I can easily do all of the above, most likely with a blindfold on and with both hands tied behind my back. I just really don't find the whole process all that enjoyable anymore.
That too.

I will be online playing this game tonight as well as 1, possibly 2 of my friends so I will have room for 1-2 more for co op. If you're interested just shoot me a message!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I'd be interested in picking this up(it's only 40$ up here at a few retailers for a few weeks) but I know exactly what's going to happen to the MP.

As soon as COD:MW2 comes out in 2 weeks or so, this game will dry up like a nun's cunt and the rest of us will be relegated to public game hell.

No thanks.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Psyloche wrote:I realize this is the console forum, but is there a reason people would not get this on PC? I have absolutely no intention of playing any kind of FPS on a console when there's a PC version available to me. Also, I don't have a PS3 or Xbox 360...
I'm just the opposite. After playing a console for 3 years now, I have no idea why anyone would choose to play a game on a PC when given the option between the two. Just knowing I can go home and immediately play the game without having to worry about settings, drivers, min/max requirements, ect. is a huge bonus. I have a family, so PC gaming is very unfriendly when it comes to sharing and everyone being able to play at once. That alone is a good enough reason for me to choose console over PC. Also, XBL is the bomb.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

<- universally prefer pc
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Yea this game is gonna die quickly.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

If you think this game is going to die quickly, you A) Clearly haven't been following it for 3+ years like I have and aren't aware of the following the game has, and B) Are greatly overestimating the importance of co-op.

I am excited to try co op with this game and all, but I plan on spending the majority of my time playing solo, mainly because I like doing what I want to do and not messing around with waiting for others, etc. And that aside, I know plenty of people who won't be playing CoD and will continue to play this. Not that I am denying most people who own a console will be playing CoD, just saying.

I personally won't be playing CoD on release, and it's very likely I'll skip it entirely. Why, you ask? Because I'm sure it will be just as repetitive and boring as the last 6 CoD games, and frankly there are too many other quality games that aren't just a cookie cutter FPS game coming out this fall/winter to waste it away on that garbage.

This game is gonna be a fresh breath both visually and gameplay wise, passing it up is a big mistake imo.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I was actually gonna pick it up today (I can get it for $35).
I'm not expecting much really but at least I can probably trade it in at EB Games for $30-35 next month.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Damn Canadia! I wish I could get it for $35 :(
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

How the fuck do you save in this game?
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

from what I have read and seen, its diablo style. No saving. just joining and leaving games and keeping what you get.

Edit: Wanted to add that I have never had such a hard time deciding whether to buy this on the PC or the 360. I need to make a decision soon because I'm craving to play this game. Anyone have input?
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I posted a message in the wrong thread yesterday but roughly 75% of my friends list was playing Borderlands last night.

I called around my usual retail spots and everyone was sold out of the game on the 360. Impressive for something I really just started hearing about 2 weeks ago.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

The game saves when you quit. It will save wherever you are on your current mission and all your items/weapons etc. It's not so much like Diablo cause there are quests and a main storyline and you have to be the right level to do stuff (we found ourselves in over our heads several times last night.)

I played 4 player co op with friends last night for like 5 or 6 hours, and had a blast. Our team was 1 soldier, 2 hunters and 1 siren (me). One thing to keep in mind if you are going to play with friends, is that levels don't matter so much as progression, if you have a friend a few levels higher than you that you are going to play with, you should host the game, otherwise they will be further in the game and you won't be able to complete the main story missions they are working on, just side missions.

The shooting mechanic works very well, the graphics/style is very cool and different, and the classes all have the strong points that make them appealing. The menus are very well organized, quests are laid out well so it's easy to figure out where to go/what to do. Also, the enemy AI is actually pretty good, putting you in some suck situations sometimes, especially indoors.

And LOOT. There is a shit ton of it, you'll be dropping shit and equipping new items quite often. The weapons names are colored depending on how good/rare they are pretty much exactly like WoW. White is a normal vendor/crap drop weapon, green is uncommon and a little better, blue is even more uncommon, purple even more so (we only saw one purple drop all night last night), and orange is the rarest. All I would add in this area, is play with friends, cause when the purple/orange drops come around someone shouldn't just grab it, there should be some discussion about who it would be best for because those items rock and won't come around often.

Anyhow, love the game, I'll definitely be playing a lot of it in the coming days.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've played about 2 hours single player only so far. It took some getting used to, but it's safe to say I'm really enjoying the game. I love the art and style of the game. When the game opened with "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" it was kind of perfect for setting the mood and tone of the game. I'm playing as a soldier right now and am only level 7, but it's pretty goddamn fun.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Myself i can't decide to get it this week on PS3 or wait and get it on PC next week.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Get it on PS3 so we can do co-op, Kwon. :)
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

I think what I was really going for was, is there some kind of feature(s) that is present in the console version that won't be in the PC or vice versa? Or also, is this one of the games that was designed with console in mind and the PC version will not be as fun?

For reference I thought Final Fantasy online sort of went this way because of it's Interface. I thought the interface was really clunky on PC and was even told by quite a few people that I should use a USB Controller to play, because it would make more sense. Granted this might be because I was in-between the transition of EQ to WoW which are much closer to each other and FF online controls just bothered the shit out of me.

Having said all that, I think I'm sold on getting this. I'm hoping it's at least as fun as L4D and Diablo 2 have been for me, as far as a go-to game to play Co-op with friends. I really enjoyed the two games at various times, and this seems to be their video game child (FPS/Character advancement).

Oh, and when I said character advancement, I really mean getting loot. God I love loot. And head shots.. I love head shots.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It was made for Xbox then ported. For example, the PC version retains the Xbox controller icons like "push X" to activate.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Psyloche wrote:I think what I was really going for was, is there some kind of feature(s) that is present in the console version that won't be in the PC or vice versa? Or also, is this one of the games that was designed with console in mind and the PC version will not be as fun?

For reference I thought Final Fantasy online sort of went this way because of it's Interface. I thought the interface was really clunky on PC and was even told by quite a few people that I should use a USB Controller to play, because it would make more sense. Granted this might be because I was in-between the transition of EQ to WoW which are much closer to each other and FF online controls just bothered the shit out of me.

Having said all that, I think I'm sold on getting this. I'm hoping it's at least as fun as L4D and Diablo 2 have been for me, as far as a go-to game to play Co-op with friends. I really enjoyed the two games at various times, and this seems to be their video game child (FPS/Character advancement).

Oh, and when I said character advancement, I really mean getting loot. God I love loot. And head shots.. I love head shots.
PLENTY OF LOOT! Also, headshots! It's very satisfying to see CRITICAL HIT go up over their head when you get a head shot :)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:It was made for Xbox then ported. For example, the PC version retains the Xbox controller icons like "push X" to activate.
BZZZZT, wrong!

Randy Pitchford: The first thing is that we author our content on the PC. With Borderlands, we’re not porting the game to the PC, we’re starting there. The PC is our development platform.

The reason the PC version has the Xbox controller icons is because of GFW requirements.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Will prolly get Borderlands on Friday for the PS3.

If i was going to play a Sniper-char, id prolly get it for PC (i suckzors at sniping on console, but rule with mouse!) but i am not going to snipe at all.

Either Brick-Melee Build or SMG Lilith(Phase Strike is bugged atm, but Gearbox knows about it and is fixing it, when fixed ill respec to Backstabbing Phase Strike Lilith) or Medic-Roland.

If Roland ill go
Cauterize 5 / 5 and after the Melee-Bricks / Liliths have grouped up in the middle of the enemies, ill toss Grenades to heal em as a groupheal! :) (Maybe even Transfusion Grenades to heal myself too!)
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Looks like the 39$ price was 1-day only up here as Best Buy, Future Shop and EBGames all have the game back up to 69$.

At that price, thxbutnothxkbai.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Myself i can't decide to get it this week on PS3 or wait and get it on PC next week.

Surprise:

http://kotaku.com/5386810/ps3-version-o ... omises-fix

PS3 COOP issues in Borderlands:
The PlayStation 3 version of Borderlands is a bit broken, according to early reports from owners of that game. The game's cooperative multiplayer mode won't recognize other Borderlands players on the PS3's friends list, an issue Gearbox is already addressing.

In addition to problems with the PSN friends list, Borderlands is reported by users to have issues finding public games, with waits of 30 minutes or more for a list of available games. Since we feel that Borderlands' biggest strength is its co-op mode, that's two very serious problems for PS3 owners.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I had no problems last night.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Gearbox worked like hell yesterday, and most of the PS3 issues (with friendlist) are supposed to be fixed now.

Hopefully most of the bugs will be fixed before i grab it on Fri.

I was mostly worried with the online co-op friendlist issues. The random freezing not so much. Well hopefully that'll be fixed tomorrow heh.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh ... hp?t=76863
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

When I was at Best Buy, I had the last copy in my hands and I was there about an hour after it opened. Two guys in front of me in line also had copies. When I got to the counter, the clerk was like "I have never heard of this game and I've already sold 20-25 copies today".

More reviews are coming in and the overall opinion remains quite high. I'm glad I bought it, that's for sure. I will get my money's worth out of it.