Kidney Stones!

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Kidney Stones!

Post by Dregor Thule »

It would figure on the day of one of the worst snowstorms we've had in several years I'd double over in pain from my abdomen! I've heard a few horror stories about passing these buggers, so far I've only had 15 minutes of agony then it passed. Doctor said I had a bit of blood in my urine and either I've passed it and it was very small, or it's still inside there. Either way I get to strain my piss through a coffee filter for the next couple of day, so it's win/win in my book.

So in the interest of making myself miserable and dreading each minute, let's hear some particularly unpleasant kidney stone stories!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Kidney Stones!

Post by Zaelath »

Once you start getting them, odds are you keep getting them.

My doctor (now dead) was a particularly stoic sort that once drove himself to hospital 40 miles away with one eyeball disloged and resting on his cheek.

Anyway, back to kidney stones, he used to pass them on a regular basis. Once when my mum was working reception for him, he brought one in that was about an inch long; I don't think he needed a coffee filter for that.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just go back and watch the two episodes of Deadwood when Al Swearengen had kidney stones! That was enough to keep me drinking lots of water each day!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Jesus. Honestly, I hope they're rare as hell for you, Dreg. That sucks.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

I have a buddy that just had surgery on Wednesday for a 15mm stone. They broke it up, and inserted a stent in his urethra to help pass it, but he's still been popping percoset like they were M&M's. He's fucking hating life right now.
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

I'm afraid to pee right now :(
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

did the doctor look at your penis
Demags
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Demags »

Generally once its to the point where you piss it out the pains done. Its not the part where it goes through your johnson that hurts, its the part where it goes between your kidney and bladder. Those passages are very tiny and the pain is excruciating lol. I had a 4.5 mm stone about 6 years ago, hurt like hell on and off for about 4 days before I finally went to the doctor, of course that was the last day of the pain. I guess if it blocks your bladder like Al thats another story though.

Haven't had another since, but I do drink more water and cranberry juice since then.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Hope you get better.

On percocet myself right now. Forgot how strong it was.

Drink lots and lots of water and get better.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

When I had one a good number of years ago the urologist told me that pain is about as close as a man can get to childbirth.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Seebs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Seebs »

I just know I have a few brewing - I am one of the few in my peer group that has not dealt with this yet.

Your urethra must be the size of a garden hose. Grats on your massive member and grats on getting through this so quickly.
Seeber
looking for a WOW server
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Seebs wrote:I just know I have a few brewing - I am one of the few in my peer group that has not dealt with this yet.

Your urethra must be the size of a garden hose. Grats on your massive member and grats on getting through this so quickly.
Haha, well, not to toot my own hose or anything...

Likely they were just very small stones. I pray they were and that I won't get anymore pain :P
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I code kidney stones and extractions on a daily basis. As a force of habit, I always check age and sex of diagnosis to see if I'm at risk. Once in awhile I'll code a male, but I'd say it's 95% females.

It's not even on my radar.

Sorry to hear about your pee pee pain. I've always thought they sounded pretty painful.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Had 1 major stone that put me in the emergency room, but finally passed. Had one minor that passed pretty quickly. The pain is worse than childbirth so I've heard from women who've experienced both.

Make sure you are properly hydrated first off. There is a formula out there that tells you how much you should drink based on body weight.

Also, I read a study that people who added lemon juice to their water had less likely a chance of developing stones. Cranberry juice is fine and all, but thats a lot of calories and sugar. A tsp of lemon juice in a large glass of water is more practical.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Yea, I'm gonna be starting to have some lemon water now and then, but it's not something I'd want to drink all the time. I'm a big fan of water and already drink a decent amount, but not enough I guess. Probably all the coffee I drink that's messing it up.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dregor Thule wrote: Probably all the coffee I drink that's messing it up.

I found this link during a quick search to determine how much water you should drink:

http://www.emaxhealth.com/76/575.html
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Lala,
My mother takes a daily cranberry vitamin (Just a gel pill that is concentrated cranberry). She takes it for reasons other than kidney stones, but they have worked very well for her. It would probably be a good alternative to drinking the sugar loaded juice.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Winnow wrote:Just go back and watch the two episodes of Deadwood when Al Swearengen had kidney stones! That was enough to keep me drinking lots of water each day!

was thinking same thing--damn that was good television!

Good luck on yer wang, Dreg!
en kærlighed småkager
Sheryl
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sheryl »

Truant wrote:Lala,
My mother takes a daily cranberry vitamin (Just a gel pill that is concentrated cranberry). She takes it for reasons other than kidney stones, but they have worked very well for her. It would probably be a good alternative to drinking the sugar loaded juice.
i take the cranberry supplements in lieu of the juice, too. not for kidney stones, but the pills seem to be just as effective as juice for my purpose. i just burned myself out drinking cranberry juice on the daily.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

My father had a pertty major one some 15 years ago. Apparently the pain sarted in the late evening but he refused to get an ambulance until my mother made him about 8 hours later. The driver said that most people who feel this pain call in minutes not hours. Dad's a glutton for punishment I guess. The doctor also had a sense of humor advising me that it's typically hereditary.

Different foods cause it in different people. That's why your straining to see it pass as they can get a composite of shat it's made of. Amongst a number of odd things that the doctor said to stay away from was poppy seeds. But it's different for everyone.
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bojangels »

I had a bout of kidney stones a while back. It's unpleasant, but bearable. Just go to the handicap stall whenever you have to pee, and hold on to that hand rail they put in for the folks on wheelchairs. As long as you don't have people monitoring your bathroom breaks, you can get through it.

The worst part of it was not knowing what it was; I thought I had an STD until I went to the doctor.

If you can pass em and go back and do your job while you're still crying, you've got nothing to worry about.
Cracc
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cracc »

Cranberry juice is usually what you drink for urinary tract infections. No idea if it helps with kidney stones.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

One of my new years resolutions was to start taking better care of my kidneys, to prevent any more stones, and so I did some research. Something interesting about cranberry juice that kind of shatters the idea that it helps prevent kidney stones:

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides ... ntion.html
Cranberry and Apple Juice: Apple and cranberry juice contain oxalates, and both have been associated with a higher risk for calcium oxalate stones. Cranberry juice has properties that may increase the risk for both calcium oxalate and uric acid stones. On the other hand, cranberry juice helps prevent urinary tract infections and so may be helpful for reducing the risk for struvite and brushite stones. (These stones are far less common, however.)
The stone I passed was calcium oxalate, so I'll be avoiding cranberry supplements. Unless you know that your kidney stone is one of the rarer varieties, I would avoid it also. They recommend lemon juice, but note they say "might protect" and that much lemon juice daily can damage your tooth enamel over time, I imagine.
Lemon Juice: Drinking one-half cup of pure lemon juice (enough to make eight glasses of lemonade) every day raises citrate levels in the urine, which might protect against calcium stones. (While orange juice also increases citrate levels, it does not lower calcium and it raises oxalate levels. Therefore, it is not recommended.)
It looks like the only definitive way to help prevent stones is drinking enough water that your piss never looks yellow, taking potassium/magnesium citrate (blech), avoid calcium supplements, cutting out all sodas (diet too), reducing your salt intake, and in some cases reducing protein intake or restricting certain foods. Of course it depends on what kind of kidney stone you passed when you get past the water thing.

Edit: I'm seeing some conflicting opinions on calcium supplements, so best to go with whatever your doctor recommends
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

OK this may be gross to some people, but I thought it was pretty crazy seeing the different ways stones can look

http://www.herringlab.com/photos/index.html

The one I passed was just a little black pebble looking thing. I'm glad mine wasn't all spikey!
Lalanae
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

I never did recover a stone so I don't know what kind it was. I've got an ultrasound scheduled just to make sure it's not still in there somewhere. A bit of lemon water daily seems like the best choice atm, along with a ton of water of course! Aaaand another reason to cut out soda. Maybe that'll be my new years resolution.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Lalanae wrote:It looks like the only definitive way to help prevent stones is drinking enough water that your piss never looks yellow, taking potassium/magnesium citrate (blech), avoid calcium supplements, cutting out all sodas (diet too), reducing your salt intake, and in some cases reducing protein intake or restricting certain foods. Of course it depends on what kind of kidney stone you passed when you get past the water thing.

Edit: I'm seeing some conflicting opinions on calcium supplements, so best to go with whatever your doctor recommends
Drinking enough water is the key because everything else mentioned on that list I do to excess in the wrong direction. I have a bottle of water by my side almost 24 hours a day...in the car, at work, at my PC. Have one by my bed in case I get thirsty at night. The only time your urine should be yellow is if you load up on B-12. I drink around 72 oz of water a day which still probably isn't enough but is better than most non exercising people.

I go through about 1.5 quarts of Ice Cream and a Gallon of Milk a week so I don't think calcium is an issue.

I drink a cup of coffee in the morning, a large soda at lunch, and besides that, it's all water except for the rare wine or beer these days.

Pee clear, pee often, and be healthy!

------

My New Year resolution is to eat healthier so I picked up some "light" ice cream tonight. There's something that cracks me up about buying Chocolate Fudge Chunk "light". lol. yeah right.

I also bought some paper bowls made from recycled material thinking I'd help the planet...fuck that! Damn things get soggy and smell. I can't even finish a bowl of cereal before the bottom starts to leak. I swear I could taste "cardboard" as well in my food. Back to Styrofoam! (conserving water by not washing dishes!)
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I go through about 1.5 quarts of Ice Cream and a Gallon of Milk a week so I don't think calcium is an issue.
It may not be for you, but often people who have kidney stones have them because of a problem absorbing calcium properly. My research on preventing kidney stones pertains only to people who have had them before, since they are likely to have them again.
Lalanae
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

Oh man some of those stones look painful...

If the ones that were photographed on the blue and white checkered background were all taken on the same blue and white checkered background, how big is the Calcium Oxalate Dihydrate stone? Ugh. Ow.
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Well, I had another "attack" tonight for lack of a better word. Once again ~15 minutes of pain and discomfort and then it dissipated. Wasn't quite as bad as last time. I had ultrasounds and x-rays done so I'm guessing something didn't come up on them or else I would have been informed. Guess it's to the doctors with me tomorrow!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Tyek wrote:On percocet myself right now. Forgot how strong it was.
Heh, I just got prescribed those for the first time last week due to a root canal, (my dentist is the best!) and I get more next week. What a phenomenal pill. I take two at a time (as per orders) and feel like Peter Gibbons on Office Space after being hypnotized.

I have nothing of value to add about kidney stones.
Fuck Michigan!
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Sabek wrote:When I had one a good number of years ago the urologist told me that pain is about as close as a man can get to childbirth.
My mother passed a kidney stone (pretty large one) once when I was 11. She was in the bath tub and started screaming for someone to come so I had to go in and see her naked puking up bile (though I do not remember seeing this, repressed memory maybe?)...she later told me that it was much worse than having either me or my brother. I weighed nearly 9 lbs when I was born, and my brother was right at 8.

But like I said, hers was large and pretty serious. I'm not sure why she was puking bile but she was and the paramedics rushed her to the ER. You would think after that she would have started drinking lots of water, but nope. She still does like she always has and drinks pretty much only coke and coffee with some apple or orange juice thrown in from time to time. She HATES water, which makes no sense to me. Still no more stones though.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Zamtuk wrote:
Tyek wrote:On percocet myself right now. Forgot how strong it was.
Heh, I just got prescribed those for the first time last week due to a root canal, (my dentist is the best!) and I get more next week. What a phenomenal pill. I take two at a time (as per orders) and feel like Peter Gibbons on Office Space after being hypnotized.

I have nothing of value to add about kidney stones.

I agree! I have a leftover bottle of these with probably 4 pills left in it. I save them for special occasions haha. Nothing like popping a perc and vegging out all day.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:
Sabek wrote:When I had one a good number of years ago the urologist told me that pain is about as close as a man can get to childbirth.
My mother passed a kidney stone (pretty large one) once when I was 11. She was in the bath tub and started screaming for someone to come so I had to go in and see her naked puking up bile (though I do not remember seeing this, repressed memory maybe?)...she later told me that it was much worse than having either me or my brother. I weighed nearly 9 lbs when I was born, and my brother was right at 8.

But like I said, hers was large and pretty serious. I'm not sure why she was puking bile but she was and the paramedics rushed her to the ER. You would think after that she would have started drinking lots of water, but nope. She still does like she always has and drinks pretty much only coke and coffee with some apple or orange juice thrown in from time to time. She HATES water, which makes no sense to me. Still no more stones though.
Puking is common with kidney stones that block the urethra. It happened to me when I had one and it was sudden and violent puking. I think it has to do with your body not being able to pass fluids due to the blockage, but not sure.
Lalanae
Warheart
No Stars!

Post by Warheart »

Was driving 5 days before Christmas in 05, when I began getting this nagging pain that hurt like a bitch, so needless to say I couldn't drive anymore. I pull over and the pain just got worse (ended up puking before an ambulance came and swept me up from my car.) got me to the hospital set me up on an IV and got a fuckton of morphine in my system. fell asleep while they did all the tests only to wake up when my morphine ran out hahaha. The stone was stuck in the tube connecting to my bladder to this day I never passed the stone, I'm hoping it just broke down in my bladder, really wish I don't go to piss and a fuckin ball of protein decides to pop out. I had to strain my piss too, waited till the strainer got so clogged to decided that I’m not doing that shit anymore. You’re SO lucky that shit lasted for 15 min.
Like Cancer, I usually come back.
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Blech, kidney stones sound horrid.

I drink at least 80oz of water every day - have as long as I can remember. My pee is usually clear, which I prefer! I drink coffee and diet coke too, but on top of all that water. So I pee a lot. Haven't had problems yet, so I will knock on wood now.

Good luck with your passings!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

My last ultrasound showed a possible spot on it, possibly a stone, so I'm going in for another this week. This is SO MUCH FUN! :) But yes, as far as pain goes I know I'm getting off way easy and am very thankful for that.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

This thread sucks.

Not one mention of shooting a rocky nut into a chicks mouth.

fukuall
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

When I saw this thread I was secretly hoping Seebs had kidney stones and started the thread just so I'd get to hear another tale of his misery.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Arsecn
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Arsecn »

we can only hope... :) sorry Seebs but your stories so amuse me.
~ 70 Troll Scourge Knight ~

"You're talking a whole lotta Jibba-Jabba."