22 Year Old Woman Raped By Halliburton Workers

What do you think about the world?
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

22 Year Old Woman Raped By Halliburton Workers

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=3977702&page=1

"A Houston, Texas woman says she was gang-raped by Halliburton/KBR coworkers in Baghdad, and the company and the U.S. government are covering up the incident.
Photos
Victim: Gang Rape Cover-Up by U.S., Halliburton/KBR

Jamie Leigh Jones, now 22, says that after she was raped by multiple men at a KBR camp in the Green Zone, the company put her under guard in a shipping container with a bed and warned her that if she left Iraq for medical treatment, she'd be out of a job.

"Don't plan on working back in Iraq. There won't be a position here, and there won't be a position in Houston," Jones says she was told.

In a lawsuit filed in federal court against Halliburton and its then-subsidiary KBR, Jones says she was held in the shipping container for at least 24 hours without food or water by KBR, which posted armed security guards outside her door, who would not let her leave.

"It felt like prison," says Jones, who told her story to ABC News as part of an upcoming "20/20" investigation. "I was upset; I was curled up in a ball on the bed; I just could not believe what had happened."

Finally, Jones says, she convinced a sympathetic guard to loan her a cell phone so she could call her father in Texas.

"I said, 'Dad, I've been raped. I don't know what to do. I'm in this container, and I'm not able to leave,'" she said. Her father called their congressman, Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas.

"We contacted the State Department first," Poe told ABCNews.com, "and told them of the urgency of rescuing an American citizen" -- from her American employer.

Poe says his office contacted the State Department, which quickly dispatched agents from the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad to Jones' camp, where they rescued her from the container.

According to her lawsuit, Jones was raped by "several attackers who first drugged her, then repeatedly raped and injured her, both physically and emotionally."

Jones told ABCNews.com that an examination by Army doctors showed she had been raped "both vaginally and anally," but that the rape kit disappeared after it was handed over to KBR security officers. "

There are 2 more pages on the article if you go to the link. Fucking disgusting. I hope they all go to prison, but its not likely.
Daboohk
Gets Around
Gets Around

Re: 22 Year Old Woman Raped By Halliburton Workers

Post by Daboohk »

So Halliburton has gone from metaphorically raping the American taxpayer to actually raping the American taxpayer.
The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Surreal...

Edit: It's not *only* rape. Keeping her under guard and refusing food/water is kidnapping in the US. That said, they're not in the US and I'm not sure what the unlawful detention laws are in Iraq. I pray this is a cruel hoax/money grab with a disgrunted employee as I have a hard time grasping that ANY corporation, yes even Haliburton, would be complicit in such a heinous crime (not to mention exposing the company to potential a multimillion dollar lawsuit rather than hanging expendable individuals out to dry). The whole aspect of being held in a shipping container and then the same guy that agrees to guard her lends her a phone? It just doesn't add up...

My opinion of human beings in general goes down daily.
Last edited by Ashur on December 11, 2007, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Disgusting. Even more disgusting is that they'll get away with it.

This kind of publicity will help stop it from happening in the future though.
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

Winnow wrote:Disgusting. Even more disgusting is that they'll get away with it.

This kind of publicity will help stop it from happening in the future though.
Not if they get away with it.
Bujinkan is teh win!
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bojangels »

Why do you guys think they'll get away with it? Because the rape kit dissapeared?

nm I just read the article. What a bunch of bullshit.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

That's seriously messed up. Horrific.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

It's people reporting shit like this that empowers Al-Qaeda and hurts the troops.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Dregor Thule wrote:It's people reporting shit like this that empowers Al-Qaeda and hurts the troops.
Sarcasm much? :P

I read the complete article lined, and while I'm not a conspiricy theorist, this does look like a big time cover up with the corporate demands for ARBITRATION (ffs!) for a violent crime and unlawful detention. This isn't some fucking dispute over hours billed or contract terms and conditions, this is (allegedly) RAPE and should be tried in a court of law as a criminal case or not at all. Good lord...
- Ash