Holiday/Cold weather recipes

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
pyrella
>()))>

Holiday/Cold weather recipes

Post by pyrella »

Or just things you've been making lately - bust em out!
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Holiday/Cold weather recipes

Post by Boogahz »

I would post the family chili recipe, but my mom would kill me.

I'm going to be learning to make her potato salad recipe which she doesn't mind me sharing though! That will be on 12/23 though. She has never measured anything for it, and she only let me know that I will be starting with 5lbs of white potatoes...fuck if that isn't a lot! I'm going to have to take extra notes to make this recipe work for less than an army.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Coffee Car Bomb:

1 cup coffee
Jameson Irish Whiskey to taste
Bailey's Irish Cream to taste

Healthy Lentil-Vegetable Soup:

Make chicken stock by boiling a pot of water with a chicken carcass, some carrots, celery, and garlic. Strain the crap out and skim the fat off the top. Bring chicken stock to boil. Throw in a couple chopped hot peppers, chopped garlic, onions, carrots, broccoli, kale and lentils. Spice with pepper, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves and a minimal amount of salt.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Chili Cabbage

2 – 3 tbl. canola or peanut oil

16 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (about 10 oz.)

2 jalapenos, cut into thin rounds or diced

1/4 tsp. salt

6 cups cut green cabbage (1 inch squares)

2 tbl. soy sauce

1 tbl. cider vinegar

1 1/2 tsp. Chinese –style dark sesame oil

1 1/2 cups. Coarsely chopped onions

10 – 16 oz. firm tofu, sliced or cubed

Heat 1 tbl. oil and stir fry mushrooms over med-high heat for 5 min. Stir in jalapeno and 1/8 tsp. salt and cook, stirring often, 5 – 8 min. longer.

Push mushrooms and peppers to one side of pain, add another tbl. of oil to exposed surface, followed by cabbage and 1/8 tsp. salt.

Keep heat med-high and stir fry cabbage about 3 min., then stir in mushrooms and peppers. Cover and let it steam for about 5 min.

In small bowl, mix soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and pour in to pan. Mix well, cover and cook 5 – 8 min. Transfer to bowl.

Without cleaning the pain, add a little oil, turn heat up high and flash-cook the onions, 1 – 2 min., till shiny and golden but still crunchy. Add to cabbage in bowl

Return pan to heat, add a little more oil, and add tofu in single layer. Cook undisturbed for about 5 min. on each side until crisp and golden brown. Toss into cabbage mix.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

I recently made peasant soup using broth from the smoked turkey carcass we had for Thanksgiving. You could use chicken, although being smoked really added to the taste.

3 lbs. potatoes peeled/cubed
1 bunch kale
1/2 lb chorizo (spicy Italian sausage could be substituted)
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloved garlic
~6-8 cups chicken/turkey broth

Premake the broth. Brown chorizo and drain on paper towels. Sautee onions until tender and slightly translucent. Add broth, garlic, and potatoes and bring to boil. Cook until potatoes are soft. Remove potatoes and garlic from the broth and puree in a blender. Or mash the potatoes in the broth. Add the chorizo and kale and cook for another 5 minutes. Add salt/pepper to taste.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Creamy Asparagus Soup

2 lbs asparagus
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
5 cups chicken broth
Leaves of 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
1/3 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper

Cut asparagus into 1/2 inch chunks - save some tips to the side (10-12ish).

In a large pot cook onion in butter until tender. Add asparagus and salt/pepper, and cook for 5 more minutes.

Add 5 cups broth, thyme, and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain.

Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids), and return to pot. Stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish with asparagus tips.
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano