Black Friday purchase(s)

It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Locked
User avatar
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 9438
Joined: July 6, 2002, 2:00 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Boogahz »

So, did anyone else make out with a great deal for "Black Friday," or maybe even today "Cyber Monday?"

I think this was the first year that I actually found myself chasing a Black Friday deal. I managed to pick up this 24" Acer monitor for $259 with a mail in rebate. It may not be top of the line, but it helped me get rid of my last CRT! 1900x1200 is sooo <3
User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12295
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Aslanna »

I don't believe waking up at 2am and standing outside a store for 2 hours until it opens at 5am just for a slight chance of getting a 'deal'. I'd rather pay the extra and not have to endure the hassle and waste of time. My time is more valuable than that!

I actually think stores limit their sales that way. I looked at a ton of ads from the Thursday paper and all the sales were mostly 6am-noon on Friday. A few were Saturday as well. It's like "Eh.. I don't want to deal with the crowds today so hell with it". Not to mention if you want to go to a couple stores you're screwed unless they are near each other.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
User avatar
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 8982
Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:I don't believe waking up at 2am and standing outside a store for 2 hours until it opens at 5am just for a slight chance of getting a 'deal'. I'd rather pay the extra and not have to endure the hassle and waste of time. My time is more valuable than that!

I actually think stores limit their sales that way. I looked at a ton of ads from the Thursday paper and all the sales were mostly 6am-noon on Friday. A few were Saturday as well. It's like "Eh.. I don't want to deal with the crowds today so hell with it". Not to mention if you want to go to a couple stores you're screwed unless they are near each other.
You're probably still screwed then, too. When I worked at Circuit City all the electronics deals would be sold out within 10 minutes of the store opening, then you get to deal with pissed off people all day because it's sold out.
User avatar
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 9438
Joined: July 6, 2002, 2:00 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Boogahz »

I didn't have to wait in any kind of line or wake up any earlier than normal. I needed to go to Barnes and Noble to pick up a special order, and I passed two Office Depots on the way there. The first was sold out so I stopped in the second one, and they had three of the monitors left. I was the only customer in the store at 9:15am.
User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12295
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Aslanna »

I didn't mean your tale specifically. I mean in general that's how it goes. They carry limited quantities just to get people in the store. Overall I find it more of a headache than it's worth and I'm not quite sure why some people choose to endure it.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
User avatar
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 4147
Joined: July 10, 2002, 2:26 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis
Location: A Secure Location

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Fash »

Retail sucks... I agree with Aslanna in that time is too valuable..

Sure, you can go through all this hassle and get more for your money... but it's just money.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
User avatar
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 8982
Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:I didn't have to wait in any kind of line or wake up any earlier than normal. I needed to go to Barnes and Noble to pick up a special order, and I passed two Office Depots on the way there. The first was sold out so I stopped in the second one, and they had three of the monitors left. I was the only customer in the store at 9:15am.
Nice! I drove by Circuit City and Best Buy here on thanksgiving at about 6:00PM and there were already about 50 people in line at each.. They waited all night, and it was like 16 degrees outside, lol. Pretty sad and pointless if you ask me.
User avatar
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 9438
Joined: July 6, 2002, 2:00 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, I thought my original post saying I "chased" the deal was a bit misleading :) I didn't expect to see the monitor in stock after reading some discussions about it online.

I don't understand the idea of getting in a line 300 people long for a chance to get an item that a store probably has extremely limited quantities of. Add standing in that line all night in freezing temperatures and I believe you will be in an image for people searching for insanity on Google.
User avatar
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 4040
Joined: November 11, 2002, 5:58 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Contact:

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Siji »

Dunno about anyone else, but if I can't buy it online, chances are I'm not going to buy it at all. Gas is too expensive to go chasing down stores looking for something, and if I have to log on to find out availability, I'm just going to order it while I'm there.

The exceptions being big things like appliances or 61" televisions..
User avatar
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 1827
Joined: November 13, 2002, 7:12 pm
Location: D.C.

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Kluden »

I bought 3 pairs of jeans from Old Navy at their black friday price of $14 :) That's about it, because there weren't any "got to buys" this year in my mind. Also, its fucken cold this time of year, I'm not sitting outside all night.
User avatar
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 2288
Joined: December 9, 2002, 5:52 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek
Location: UCLA and Notre Dame

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Tyek »

We spent the whole weekend at a soccer tournament. Did not miss the shopping thing in the least, but coaching kids playing soccer in 60 mph wind gusts was not fun. My lips are still chapped and the allergies are killing me.


Oh and 1000....
only 14,000+ behind Winnow and falling further behind every day.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27429
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Winnow »

Tyek wrote:We spent the whole weekend at a soccer tournament. Did not miss the shopping thing in the least, but coaching kids playing soccer in 60 mph wind gusts was not fun. My lips are still chapped and the allergies are killing me.


Oh and 1000....
only 14,000+ behind Winnow and falling further behind every day.
Just curious if that's the soccer tournament that's played right below Bob Hope's house? I played in a state soccer tournament as a kid, long long ago there!
User avatar
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 2288
Joined: December 9, 2002, 5:52 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek
Location: UCLA and Notre Dame

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Tyek »

No it was in Rialto. When I played club soccer as a kid we spent every Thanksgiving in Pleasanton California for the Turkey Shoot there. We did whoop up on some overrated undefeated team from Arizona though. We only had 10 players when one got red carded, but it was no big deal. They were supposedly running a 58 game winning streak which we happily ended.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27429
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Black Friday purchase(s)

Post by Winnow »

Tyek wrote:No it was in Rialto. When I played club soccer as a kid we spent every Thanksgiving in Pleasanton California for the Turkey Shoot there. We did whoop up on some overrated undefeated team from Arizona though. We only had 10 players when one got red carded, but it was no big deal. They were supposedly running a 58 game winning streak which we happily ended.
No need to bash Arizona! Back then, I lived in California when there were still Strawberry fields and Orange groves scattered about inside and between the cities.

Youth Soccer rules.
Locked