Post your ideas and problems with the site/board here

Moderator: TheMachine

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

VV Server Speed

Post by Winnow »

Is VV on a dedicated server?

It's been really slow the past few days/week, particularly when posting a message.

does the database need to be rebuilt or something every once in awhile with phpBB boards? (don't know) Most phpBB3 boards I've been on have been speedy (even monster ones with huge post counts)

Searches as well. I just tried a search for "Iraq" and it timed out after ~3 minutes, going to a blank page.

On the good side, even though it takes 30-60 seconds sometimes for a post to register (the more text, the slower it is), I haven't seen them time out so they eventually do make it through the congestion.

Is anything else running in the background on the VV server that would slow things down like this?

edit: took about 80 second for this to post. Editing posts is much faster so I'm wondering if it's a database thing.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Re: VV Server Speed

Post by Fash »

I was going to post about this yesterday. Being that I post so many new threads, I notice the huge lag more than most.

I just posted 3 new threads, 2 of them requiring re-submission after hitting a white page (and no post made), the third hit the white page but the post went through.

editing is definitely faster, so there is an issue i think.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

test edited
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I've noticed this a couple of times. It seems to be DB related as static pages or pages that don't hit large tables load fine during these slowdowns. I checked the splash screen, the "Who is Online" page and the FAQ, and all loaded quickly like normal. Today the problems were occurring around 11:15 CST.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

brief update - host is looking at it - it looks like we are getting an email flood/dos/something (they had to delete 50K+ emails from the pending queue) and with the spam assassin/anti virus scanning each one, it is killing processor

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Things faster, or just because of holidays?

-Cadalano
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Thing seem faster ever since late last night. It's always nice when a problem is detected by the hosting service as opposed to it being a mystery issue.

I did the same search for "Iraq" and it took less than ten seconds.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah everything has seemed a ton better today :)