3 red rings

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

3 red rings

Post by Trias »

yah my xbox360 that i got upon release has finally shit the bed via the dreaded 3 rings of death...however, M$ is totally hooking me up with a free repair...it turns out they extended their out of box warranty to three years for those that experience this exact issue.

sweet; in a week or so i'll be able to finally play all of the new games that have been coming out ^^
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: 3 red rings

Post by Aslanna »

Trias wrote:M$ is totally hooking me up with a free repair...it turns out they extended their out of box warranty to three years for those that experience this exact issue.
No way!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Mine just shit the bed. I was looking forward to relaxing and recovering from my knee surgery for the next 8 weeks, but I got a red light. Not the 3 rings. I have error E74. What sucks is that they show my warranty expiring on December 3rd, they want me to pay 100 dollars since it is not the 3 rings, it is some other hardware issue. They asked for a receipt to see if I am actually still under warranty.

She heard the problems I had just unhooking the thing with my knee surgery issues and when I explained that it would be in the attic, she said I needed to find it and call back. I explained that I would not be on a ladder for some time due to the surgery, she says, I understand that, but I need to see if I have the receipt, otherwise pay the 100 dollars and we can fix it for you.

I explained that with all the negative issues regarding their failures,they could probably cut someone a 17 day break, which got a response of "We would really need the receipt sir." :? Go ahead and type in E74 failures in your search engine, it is the second largest failure issue with the system that I saw.

So a big thanks for the support Microsoft. I know $100 is not a lot of money, but they are not winning a lot of loyalty from me over this. I probably will not buy another 360.

When the PS2 had issues years ago, they took care of it without issue even with the warranty well out of date. I have not bought the PS3 since their was no real reason too, but looks like Microsoft is giving me a nice reason too now. Guess I will be a Sony guy only after this unit is done.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tyek wrote:
I explained that with all the negative issues regarding their failures,they could probably cut someone a 17 day break, which got a response of "We would really need the receipt sir." :? Go ahead and type in E74 failures in your search engine, it is the second largest failure issue with the system that I saw.

Maybe power supply?
Before I podcast the interview with the head honchos at Xbox, I may have a solution to the reported Xbox 360 error message E74 (and E79 and various other E numbers).

Much to my dismay, the retail machine that arrived this evening, when plugged in and ready to go, threw the error message which has been plaguing many of the Xbox 360 consumers in North America over the past 10 days. While my machine hadn't even had the chance to overheat (with its enormous controller - believe the hype) and many of these messages appear in the middle of a heavy gaming session, the E74 message came on when I turned the thing on for the first time.

After searching around on the various forums filled with a distressing gaggle of dismayed consumers, I unplugged the machine's power supply and stuck in the review machine's power supply. Voila! The retail machine booted and is now on target.

So perhaps the problem isn't with the Xbox 360 hardware, but with the power supply instead.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I think the problem is the chip. I rented Mass Effect and I was thinking the graphics were subpar. There were lines on the guys faces like shading issues. I thought something is wrong or this is some artistic effect they thought was cool and I do not get it. I tried another av cable and that did nothing. I unplugged everything and it got no better.

I guess I am more disappointed in the response then the problem. The timing sucks, but it would have sucked anytime, it just sucks more now since I had so much free time and now that is going to be filled with something else. I don't get tons of gaming time, so this was going to be my Nirvana. Percocet and video games, then to find out I am essentially 2 weeks over the warranty when they have had numerous issues and find out they will not bend pissed me off.

Maybe the fact I was calling to India, the surgery thing did not register, but give me a break. 100 dollars for the service is stupid. On the plus side, the tray has been getting stuck for months, so that will be fixed. The system is great, the fact they would not back up for 2 weeks on what is looking like it is becoming the next big failure, surprised and disappointed me. I also noticed a growing number of 0102 or some other code failures that no one seems to know what it is.

Trust me, if I was 2 months over warranty I could possibly understand but 2 weeks?

Thanks for the suggestions though, I was checking and trying as many as my damn knee would let me.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I was in two different CompUSA stores over the weekend, and all four 360 kiosks had different problems. One had three rings, one had E74, one had E65, and the last had three alternating flashes between two and one red light. I thought it was quite comical.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:I was in two different CompUSA stores over the weekend, and all four 360 kiosks had different problems. One had three rings, one had E74, one had E65, and the last had three alternating flashes between two and one red light. I thought it was quite comical.
I thought CompUSA went out of business. All the stores closed in AZ.
Better Business Bureau of Greater Maryland is advising consumers that retailer CompUSA Inc. will no longer offer refunds, rebates or exchanges on any merchandise made after Dec. 12.

Return policies still apply to purchases made prior to December 12, 2007, the Better Business Bureau wrote in a Wednesday afternoon e-mail. Already having closed their Glen Burnie and Timonium locations, CompUSA might keep their other Maryland locations open until the end of January, 2008, the e-mail states.

The retail store has additional outlets in the Baltimore area, in Towson and Columbia, which will either be sold or shuttered.

Dallas-based CompUSA's 103 stores in the United States were sold this month to Gordon Brothers Liquidation Co., an affiliate of Boston investment firm Gordon Brothers Group.

Gordon Brothers organizes the sale of assets, including retail inventories, overstocks, and real estate. The firm plans to initiate what it calls an "orderly wind-down" of CompUSA's store operations, according to a news release.
Looks like you can still buy their remaining inventory but can't return stuff!

Most likely, the only thing that has kept my early model 360 running is that I completely disassembled it while hacking it and applied quality thermal paste to the CPU, GPU and cut (dremel!) out a big hole in the back of the case to help with airflow. It's only frozen up once during a long Gears of War COOP session.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, they are closing and their, pre-Christmas, stock was selling for 10-30% off. I was tempted to grab a few things, but since I really don't NEED them I will wait to see what they are cutting later this week.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

I just got the rings :(
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I just got it too
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I feel left out
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Sent out my xbox Friday and got a Certified Replacement Xbox today. Yay Microsoft!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

When I first put in GTA IV the other day, and installed some update via the dashboard, it immediately restarted with what looked like one red ring. I just turned it off and back on and everything worked fine. I hope that isn't a precursor for something to come, I haven't yet gotten the three red rings.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If anyone ever gets RROD and your Xbox is out of warranty, you might try (although it's not easy) opening up your 360, scraping off the crappy thermal paste on the GPU (especially) and CPU, and apply some Artic Silver. It's probably a warping/heat (PCB board bending so heatsink isn't touching GPU/CPU...has to do with the X-Bar that secures the sinks) issue that may be fixable (meaning nothing is fried). You've got nothing to lose it it's out of warranty.

Guide would be located in my "hacked my Xbox 360" thread.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

so i got my box, but i moved. xbox support told me to write a new reference code on the ups shipping lable and tape one to my xbox too.

i shipped it back a few days ago and it still hasn't reached the service center in tx :(
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Add me to this list.

However I am only getting 2 red lights, which is supposed to be a overheating issue. It will play for about 20-30 minutes then it just shuts off and the left two lights are flashing.

Oh well, hopefully I get it back quick and it's actually fixed the first time.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Lynks wrote:Sent out my xbox Friday and got a Certified Replacement Xbox today. Yay Microsoft!
While it's good you got another one in a relatively short time... I'm not sure I'd "Yay Microsoft" as it's their shoddy (aka defective) equipment in the first place. I'd save my "Yay!" for it not breaking down in the first place.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

My PS3 froze up after a few hours of GTA tonight.

FYI!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:My PS3 froze up after a few hours of GTA tonight.

FYI!
There's been numerous complaints about GTA freezing and locking up.

Hardware.. Software. Apples.. Oranges!

Even so.. At least you didn't have to send it back to Sony did you!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

zero freezes with GTA IV on my 360!

I've had several 16-18 hour straight 360 multiple game marathons with no freezing or crashing.

On the plus side for the PS3, Uncharted looks outstanding graphically. I downloaded the demo yesterday. I can say without lying, that the PS3 has one decent exclusive game so far (to the 360's many many exclusive good games)

Also, I'm hoping the component cables I bought for the PS3 are defective (and not my PS3 itself) as I have visible bands of interference on my screen when using component. HDMI doesn't have this issue with the PS3. I'm going to return/replace the component cables because my current setup doesn't have enough HDMI inputs.

360 controller > PS3 controller for GTA IV (triggers primarily, rumble second, cheap and light feel to the PS3 controller fourth)
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

visible bands of intereference...Check to make sure that your component cables aren't next to any power cables, surge suppressors/power strips.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:I've had several 16-18 hour straight 360 multiple game marathons with no freezing or crashing.
Dude, you need a woman in your life.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Winnow wrote:I've had several 16-18 hour straight 360 multiple game marathons with no freezing or crashing.
So once every 4-5 months I have a marathon when one of my long time gamer (back in the pen and paper days) friends comes into town and you're throwing out the "need a woman" card?

Not to mention there may be more female gamers than male these days, or will be soon.

Dude, you need to move into the 21st century.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Fairweather Pure wrote:

Hey now :?

Anyways MS fixed my xbox apparently and it's being sent back. It took less than a day once it reached the center so I'm a little apprehensive about any actual repairs being done. Maybe I'm just getting a new console?
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:

Anyways MS fixed my xbox apparently and it's being sent back. It took less than a day once it reached the center so I'm a little apprehensive about any actual repairs being done. Maybe I'm just getting a new console?
That's what they did on mine last fall.

BTW anyone know how to make XBL Arcade games work for everyone on your machine once they machine swap?
My kids can't play Castlevania and Cloning Clyde anymore :(
Sabek
Just Sabek
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

There was a thread about that around here somewhere. Getting a new console is pretty standard practice (from my second hand accounts).

The info might have been in a thread about the 360 elite or whatever. People were trying to figure out how to transfer purchases.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Sabek wrote:
*~*stragi*~* wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:

That's what they did on mine last fall.

BTW anyone know how to make XBL Arcade games work for everyone on your machine once they machine swap?
My kids can't play Castlevania and Cloning Clyde anymore :(
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/syste ... repair.htm
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

my xbox is supposed to come today but i got an automated call from ups yesterday saying that someone had to be home to get the package. they didn't have an estimated time but it would be between 8 am and 7 pm :roll:

no idea how i'll get it.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Change careers.

Work at home.

Be a phone sex operator.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

what in the fucking world is this shit??????? who is lavender

Track Shipments

Track Packages & Freight Quantum View Flex Global View

Tracking Summary | Help

Tracking Number: 1Z 687 4R3 42 0399 767 1

Type: Package
Delivered On: 05/09/2008
12:10 P.M.
Delivered To: PHOENIX, AZ, US
Signed By: LAVENDER
Service: GROUND

Tracking results provided by UPS: 05/10/2008 1:59 A.M. ET
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:what in the fucking world is this shit??????? who is lavender

Track Shipments

Track Packages & Freight Quantum View Flex Global View

Tracking Summary | Help

Tracking Number: 1Z 687 4R3 42 0399 767 1

Type: Package
Delivered On: 05/09/2008
12:10 P.M.
Delivered To: PHOENIX, AZ, US
Signed By: LAVENDER
Service: GROUND

Tracking results provided by UPS: 05/10/2008 1:59 A.M. ET
haha theyre calling you gay
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

no they're calling me we delivered your xbox to some random fucking person
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Holy shit really??

That's absolutely horrible. I hope you're calling UPS and giving em a huge amount of shit..

If I may - http://www.consumerist.com

Send em your story. They've managed to got results for a lot of people.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

well lavendar is my neighboor it looks like, she came over this morning and knocked on my door and gave me my xbox.
no sexy time was pursued.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:well lavendar is my neighboor it looks like, she came over this morning and knocked on my door and gave me my xbox.
Should have chewed her out for waiting a day. At least egg her door for making you suffer.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

I didn't get home until 11 friday night. ;p
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:well lavendar is my neighboor it looks like, she came over this morning and knocked on my door and gave me my xbox.
lavendar wrote:Hey Stargi, here is your Xbox. Opps my shirt seems to have fallen off. Can you help me with that?
Sabek
Just Sabek
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

so this neighbor girl came over and she was like oh my god you are so hot pls do me and so i did her on my couch and then she left but she was like oh by the way heres ur xbox ups brought it to my house

thats how you should have told the story
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

When you're pounding a chick in the ass, reach around and grab onto her titties and yell, "I HAVE AIDS!", then try and stay on as long as you can.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Funkmasterr wrote:so this neighbor girl came over and she was like oh my god you are so hot pls do me and so i did her on my couch and then she left but she was like oh by the way heres ur xbox ups brought it to my house

thats not what happened though she just said here is your package
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:so this neighbor girl came over and she was like oh my god you are so hot pls do me and so i did her on my couch and then she left but she was like oh by the way heres ur xbox ups brought it to my house

thats not what happened though she just said here is your package
NO PUN INTENDED
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Spang wrote:When you're pounding a chick in the ass, reach around and grab onto her titties and yell, "I HAVE AIDS!", then try and stay on as long as you can.
"I have to pee so bad!" works about as well.

For most women.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:
"I have to pee so bad!" works about as well.

For most women.
That would just be insulting the woman by suggesting that you're flaccid and uninterested in the sex because no peeing is going to happen with a raging hard on.

Otherwise her response would be, "Tough shit. Finish what you started you bastard!"
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

So I shipped my 360 out to the repair center a week ago today, UPS showed it as delivered last thursday afternoon - but the xbox site still said they were waiting to receive the xbox... So I call today to figure out what the hell is going on - and after like 30 minutes on hold she tells me mine was shipped back to me yesterday...

I'm happy it's on it's way back, but ffs update your site.. I also forgot to write down my serial number, so I won't know if I got a new one or my old one back :(
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

you'll be able to tell when you plug your old HD in, if it keeps asking you to select your hd when you turn on the xbox its probably new.

at least mine does.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:you'll be able to tell when you plug your old HD in, if it keeps asking you to select your hd when you turn on the xbox its probably new.

at least mine does.
Yeah, you are right :)

I got it back yesterday, they replaced mine and the new one is night and day compared to the old. When on the dashboard, it makes pretty much no noise, and when running a game, it is about 5x quieter than my old one was.

As a side note, that issue you speak of stragi, is supposed to be addressed in the spring update. You will no longer have to select the HD all the time, and you will also not have to be online to use any downloaded content. Hopefully that really ends up happening.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I finally got a 360 this weekend. Its a Go Pro version. Has this issue has been corrected on the version I bought? btw, dam these things are a tad loud :)
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

I wonder what the feasibility of me sticking my 360 in a confined space, with no ventilation, to force a RROD error is. I am getting pretty sick of having a common error that isn't covered under the extended warranty (xbox 360 games being treated like they are being loaded in a dvd player).
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aardor wrote:I wonder what the feasibility of me sticking my 360 in a confined space, with no ventilation, to force a RROD error is. I am getting pretty sick of having a common error that isn't covered under the extended warranty (xbox 360 games being treated like they are being loaded in a dvd player).
Stick in in a plastic garbage bag and seal it as best you can. (works for cats too)*

jk, I have nothing against cats
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

I would question if they even check to see if it is really RROD at the repair shop anymore, you could try just sending it in.