Chuck

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Chuck

Post by Aslanna »

Has anyone watched this yet? I saw it a week or so ago but I don't know... I'll keep an open mind and give it a few more episodes but the whole premise of the images in his head is pretty ridiculous.

I guess as long as it doesn't suck as bad as Jericho I'll watch it. But it would have to try pretty hard to be worse than that crappy thing. I'm surprised they didn't cancel that show when they had the chance now they're stuck doing at least 7 more episodes. Anyway, not to derail my own thread with the initial post or anything...
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Chuck

Post by Xatrei »

I know that the first episode for this and a few others were leaked / released early and can be found on the Internet, but frankly, I wasn't interested enough to grab them. Last night I noticed that they were available for free download with Amazon Unbox on the Tivo, so grabbed it and Bionic, but haven't watched either yet. From what I've read about Bionic, I'm not really that hyped about it, but I'll probably give it a chance. Chuck looks interesting, and hopefully it will live up to that expectation.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

When you say Jericho are you talking about the Post Nuke USA series? I had started watching that through the first season but wasn't able to get back into it later on. Did it last more than one season?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Bubba Grizz wrote:When you say Jericho are you talking about the Post Nuke USA series? I had started watching that through the first season but wasn't able to get back into it later on. Did it last more than one season?
Yeah this show: http://epguides.com/jericho/
At 2 p.m. on May 16, 2007, CBS announced its 2007-2008 primetime slate. Jericho was not on it. For over 3 weeks, Jericho's fans rallied to convince CBS that it should give Jericho a second chance. Mere hours into the 4th week of the campaign, the word came down from CBS:

JERICHO LIVES!

With at post to the CBS Jericho Message Board at 5:08 p.m. on June 6, 2007 CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler brought an end to the Save Jericho campaign with the statement that Jericho would be renewed as a 7 episode mid-season replacement on CBS.

And thus the campaign to PROMOTE JERICHO was born. Beginning Friday, July 6th, CBS will begin to air re-runs of Season 1. Ms. Tassler stated that for Jericho to live beyond the next 7 episodes it needed to grow its audience.
The audience is low because the show sucks! I gave it a chance.. Watched like the first 16 episodes and decided it was a waste of time.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I enjoyed about the first five or six episodes of Jericho. The initial early reaction to the nuclear event was interesting. After that, it lost its appeal to me as they tried to drag out explaining what actually was happening.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

They played the "Lost" card and well, lost?
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Chuck

Post by Gzette »

Anyone else watching this show prior to Heroes? I'm finding myself liking it more and more each week. It's pretty hokey, but I like th mixture of humor and action. Sadly there's been way more action in this than in Heroes thus far. Geeky protagonists are a plus with me too. Adam Baldwin: a huge plus. He cracks me up.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

omg hi!

(This post dedicated to Funk)

--
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Just think, if this forum had a decent active moderator (drolgin isn't really around much anymore) that was doing his job instead of adding to the clutter, this thread would get locked and we could continue to follow the original thread. Look for an additional 'Chuck' thread from Abelard soon!

Gzette, none of this is directed at you. I tivo the show weekly and like it a lot. It's hokey as hell, but I enjoy that they don't try to be serious about any of it. :)
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Merged.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

After I baited so hard too. :(
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

noel wrote:After I baited so hard too. :(
You can bate more in 15-20 minutes or so. Don't be glum, chum!
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Would you say he's a master at it?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

He didn't reply so I'm gonna go with no. :(
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes of Chuck over the past few days. (mostly while installing Leopard)

Great looking women enable me to keep watching even with sketchy acting/writing. I like the basic plot though.

Jane's (from Firefly) character is OK. Corn factor is high in the show with reality completely thrown out the window but it's still watchable for the eye candy and and a few nerd jokes. Everyone is a "Denise Richards" kind of pretty.

Could be the next Cast for a Starship Troopers sequel!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Winnow wrote:Great looking women enable me to keep watching even with sketchy acting/writing.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

The wife loves it. That means there is finally something we can watch together that doesn't involve reality in any way.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Bubba Grizz wrote:...that doesn't involve reality in any way.
One of my friends doesn't like Chuck because he thinks it's too unrealistic. He loves Heroes though. Go figure.

(I realize you were speaking of "reality tv", the comment just sparked that thought)
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

noel wrote:
Winnow wrote:Great looking women enable me to keep watching even with sketchy acting/writing.

Caught the last two episodes tonight. The above still holds true! It's also entertaining beyond the primary reason though. I have a few good laughs with each episode.
[Show]
The next episode with Bryce returning should be good. It actually looks like it could take a turn more toward the drama side of things.
They've balanced things out well to keep it interesting over multiple shows. I like all the nerdy stuff that goes on around the "Best Buy" there as well.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

"6" from BSG was on Chuck last night as a hardass agent. Super hot. Can see it on the NBC site.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Been a fan of this show since it started. Show itself isn't the best thing out there, but its at least a fun watch.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Failed to keep my interest. I think the last episode I watched was the one before the 3D episode. They've been recording, but I haven't bothered watching.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

They have been really good the past five weeks or so. They have steered more away from action and went more with a comedic angle, which is working out pretty well.
Fuck Michigan!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Chuck is a guilty pleasure of mine. Guilty because as far as plot goes it's completely horrible, but it has 3 things going for it.

1) Likable characters with good chemistry.
2) Some good humour, especially geek humour.
3) Some totally fantastic women, especially the one that plays Sarah ><

Throw in some Jayne and it's party time. Just.. try not to pay attention to the plot :P
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I haven't watched the last season but Chuck's a fun show. I'll catch up later.

Don't forget about Gossip Girl!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Wow, Scott Bakula and Chevy Chase? Great episode!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Agree on the guilty pleasure. I like it.

WTF is up with his hair though! There were a couple recent scenes that I swear it looked like a plastic helmet
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I put off watching the last few episodes of this for awhile because I thought it was canceled. Surprise! Oh and I did finally watch them all and though the last few episodes were pretty good. Definitely picked up the pace some from the episodes earlier in the season.
After a two-month "Save Chuck" campaign mounted by fans, Chuck was renewed for a third season with a thirteen-episode order. A major sponsorship deal between NBC and the Subway restaurant chain was also announced to help cover costs of the third season, which is tentatively scheduled to begin airing in March 2010 in its regular timeslot
I hope people start watching season 3 so we can get more than 13 episodes. Otherwise it will be just like all the other shows "saved" by fans that come back and end up just being canceled like they were the first time.

--
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

I heard talk that in the first episode there will be something that will strip his newly found abilities ( which i thought were awesome! ). I hope they can keep it going.. I don't remember if they killed off Bakula's character, but i sure hope he will be in the 3rd season.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Aslanna wrote: I hope people start watching season 3 so we can get more than 13 episodes.
I'm kind of hoping the networks will take a lesson from the cable channels (basic and premium) and go for shorter, tighter seasons. Following that model, I think they can do more (hopefully better) shows with greater variety and be more successful. Twelve(ish) episodes seems to be the sweetspot that all of the cable networks have gravitated towards.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Xatrei wrote:
Aslanna wrote: I hope people start watching season 3 so we can get more than 13 episodes.
I'm kind of hoping the networks will take a lesson from the cable channels (basic and premium) and go for shorter, tighter seasons. Following that model, I think they can do more (hopefully better) shows with greater variety and be more successful. Twelve(ish) episodes seems to be the sweetspot that all of the cable networks have gravitated towards.
It's kinda strange that the US market persists with such long series runs. Wildy popular series out of the UK are around 6-8 episodes a season, if they're not a weekly (Eastenders/The Bill). Doctor Who is the only series that comes to mind that runs a longer season, and it's only 13 eps.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zaelath wrote:
Xatrei wrote:
It's kinda strange that the US market persists with such long series runs. Wildy popular series out of the UK are around 6-8 episodes a season, if they're not a weekly (Eastenders/The Bill). Doctor Who is the only series that comes to mind that runs a longer season, and it's only 13 eps.
Is there also less time in between seasons then? It's annoying enough to have to wait 6 months or whatever in between seasons with the length they are here now, if they were even shorter and the wait was the same or longer I wouldn't be a fan at all.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Zaelath wrote:
Xatrei wrote:
I'd chalk that up to the sheer scale of the American television industry. Production wise they have a lot more resources than most other countries.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Zaelath wrote:It's kinda strange that the US market persists with such long series runs. Wildy popular series out of the UK are around 6-8 episodes a season, if they're not a weekly (Eastenders/The Bill). Doctor Who is the only series that comes to mind that runs a longer season, and it's only 13 eps.
Yeah, one thing I've I've always hated about most (frequently awesome) Brit series is the 6(ish) episode runs. To me, that's just not enough time to develop characters and storylines. There's some really great shows that just get compressed too much by the short series, IMO. Conversely, 26 episodes is way too much to fill in these days with so much other stuff competing for viewers' attention. I think the cable networks here have gotten it right with the 12(ish) episode seasons. Twelve seems to be the right balance between the two extremes. Hopefully the broadcast networks will come around.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Is there also less time in between seasons then? It's annoying enough to have to wait 6 months or whatever in between seasons with the length they are here now, if they were even shorter and the wait was the same or longer I wouldn't be a fan at all.
It's a hell of a lot better than 22 episodes of Heroes with 6 episodes of plot....
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Xatrei wrote:
I was referring to more than 13 more episodes.. ever!

Anyway Season 3 starting Jan 10th. I hope Nielson people watch it.

--
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm really looking forward to it.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Im very eager to see the new chuck! The commercial I saw for the new season was awesome.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Great season so far, but one thing really bothers me.
[Show]
I never really get pissed about offing a character, but killing Capt. Awesome would really fucking suck. He was some pretty good comic relief, and a pretty needlessly 'big character' to kill off to boost ratings.
Fuck Michigan!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I forgot all about this! I know they have been advertising it like crazy though so at least they seem committed to making it work. So if it fails this time at least nobody can blame NBC when a shitty reality TV program shows up in its place.

--
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Zamtuk wrote:Great season so far, but one thing really bothers me.
[Show]
I never really get pissed about offing a character, but killing Capt. Awesome would really fucking suck. He was some pretty good comic relief, and a pretty needlessly 'big character' to kill off to boost ratings.
Ok I just watched all three today. Unfortunately I watched them out of order, 301,303,302.
[Show]
At the end of 303 I too was pissed and very upset. Then I watched 302 and I think there is some hope where this char is still alive. Remember seeing the General talking to someone who was not really shown stating that they have to tell them? I think Captain Awesome is a spy as well. At least I am hoping so.
I like the new twist with the Intersect. Jane never fails to disappoint either.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

This show is great and I love the new direction of the intersect as well. Haven't watched the 3rd episode yet cause have been too busy, but I'll watch it tomorrow.

I agree that Baldwin just straight owns in this show.
[Show]
Probably shouldn't be a spoiler but I laughed my ass off as he was laughing while firing his mini-gun from the chopper. Such a great use of the Jayne personality.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Zamtuk wrote:Great season so far, but one thing really bothers me.
[Show]
I agree! If that is what happened I'll be disappointed.

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Bet you all my VV's that didn't happen :p
[Show]
I smell the new Fulcrum and a rescue mission.
I'm more annoyed there's no Anna :(
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

[Show]
yeah i guess he was in the previews as still being alive. I didnt see the previews though.
Fuck Michigan!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Zamtuk wrote:
[Show]
yeah i guess he was in the previews as still being alive. I didnt see the previews though.
me either..
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That is why I don't watch previews.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I guess ratings weren't all that hot but Chuck gets 13 more episodes.
On May 13, it was announced that Chuck had been renewed by NBC for a fourth season. The season will receive a 13 episode order with an option of another 9 episodes.
Unless ratings pick up over season 3 I don't think they get the last 9 episodes.

I was a bit disappointed with season 3 when they were hyping it as "No more Mr Nice Spy" but really all that much didn't change. Sure he could kick peoples butt on occasion but he still had to 'flash' to do it which was lameo.

--
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I still love the show and look forward to it each week.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

I picked up the first Season 1 DVD through Netflix not really expecting much a few months back and it's basically grown on me since. I really, really enjoyed Season 1 and liked Season 2 a little less. I definitely enjoyed Season 3 and thought the Season finale was just awesome. Given that they weren't sure it'd be picked up, I wonder how they would have ended things if it hadn't.

Definitely recommend this show to anyone who actually listens to my opinion, good comedy.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)