I just want to thank Comcast

What do you think about the sports world?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I just want to thank Comcast

Post by Chidoro »

For adding the NHL Network in my area. I'm loving it. I was tired of having to wait for 15 seconds of coverage on espn just to see highlights.

Now the network just needs to bump up it's lineup of shows a bit.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: I just want to thank Comcast

Post by Sylvus »

So much hate for Comcast. Add the Big 10 Network, already!!

I think there are probably more Big 10 fans in the country than NHL fans...
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

If only TimeWarner would pick up GolTV :(
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Sylvus wrote:So much hate for Comcast. Add the Big 10 Network, already!!

I think there are probably more Big 10 fans in the country than NHL fans...
It all depends on where you live. Nationally, you're right, where you live, you are very right, but where I live, I seriously doubt it. And since their packages of channels available are not the same nationally...
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

You probably aren't subjected to the anti-BTN propaganda commercials then that Comcast shows during virtually every local commercial break of every sporting event they televise then? Probably just in the Big 10 footprint.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have NHL network as well (I like hockey), but BTN is a higher priority for me.

I would imagine that in my state, the Michigan/Michigan State football game in 2 weeks is about as highly rated a televised sporting event as there is. As of right now, it's looking like it might be broadcast on BTN. That's going to make a lot of people very unhappy with Comcast. Here's to hoping they'll cave. Otherwise, I'm switching off of Comcast for sure.

Good for you though, it's always nice when you can actually watch the things you want to watch, or at least have it as an option.

Go Blue!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I don't see anything w/ regards to the big ten commercial-wise but it sounds like a crappy campaign. That would piss me off too since I know how passoinate you are w/ your teams.

Sucks about Gol tv Boog. Both Bayern & the Bremen games were on last Saturday.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Chidoro wrote:I don't see anything w/ regards to the big ten commercial-wise but it sounds like a crappy campaign. That would piss me off too since I know how passoinate you are w/ your teams.

Sucks about Gol tv Boog. Both Bayern & the Bremen games were on last Saturday.

Yeah, I can sometimes catch the later games at the Applebee's near where I live, but that is only when there are no NCAA/NFL games on...which means it will be a few months until I can catch more there.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Sylvus wrote:You probably aren't subjected to the anti-BTN propaganda commercials then that Comcast shows during virtually every local commercial break of every sporting event they televise then? Probably just in the Big 10 footprint.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have NHL network as well (I like hockey), but BTN is a higher priority for me.

I would imagine that in my state, the Michigan/Michigan State football game in 2 weeks is about as highly rated a televised sporting event as there is. As of right now, it's looking like it might be broadcast on BTN. That's going to make a lot of people very unhappy with Comcast. Here's to hoping they'll cave. Otherwise, I'm switching off of Comcast for sure.

Good for you though, it's always nice when you can actually watch the things you want to watch, or at least have it as an option.
I know what you mean Sylvus.
BTN still has rights to a conference OSU game and the only ones not spoken for so far are Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan. All of which should be good games.
I would like to have BTN, but they are fighting here with Time-Warner like it sounds like they are doing with Comcast.

Personally I say fuck them in the ass. I hope Time-Warner doesn't cave because BTN is being very heavy handed in all this. They are trying to make Time-Warner put it on basic cable and eat the cost or pass it on to the consumers. If Time-Warner paid the price they are asking it would put BTN as like top five in cost for networks.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I've heard that the BTN wants something like $1 per household in the Big 10 footprint (IA, IN, IL, OH, MI, MN, PA, WI, etc) or something, which is a pretty astronomical number, since a large number of those people won't give a shit about the BTN. Now I'm perfectly fine with Comcast raising basic cable rates by $1/mo, or with them raising it $2/mo., or with them putting it on a higher tier, making it available only to those people who ask for it and charging me $10/mo. Just give me my f'ing Big 10 sports, please! I know that basketball and hockey aren't as popular as football, but I'm pretty sure that a majority of those games are going to be on BTN.

They need to find a compromise already.

Go Blue!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

And, in timely and related news:
Brian Cook @ Fanhouse wrote:Is The Big Ten Network Eating Into Cable's Bottom Line?
Posted Oct 23rd 2007 2:33PM by Brian Cook
Filed under: Big 10, Big Ten Network

Slapfightin' round the world.

The Big Ten Network's hard line against cable companies is dragging into the very end of football season; Comcast, Mediacom, Time Warner, and Charter are all holding out against the BTN's demand for expanded basic placement. When asked, satellite installers say they can barely keep up with demand; cable companies claim they're seeing no movement in their bottom line. Someone has to be fibbing; it appears to be cable. (Paging Captain Louis Renault.)

Mediacom, which services most of Iowa, is getting the evil eye from stock analysts:
Pali Research media analyst Richard Greenfield lowered his rating on Mediacom to "sell" from "neutral," adding that the midsized-market cable operator is headed for a rough year.
Greenfield wrote in a research report that Mediacom is facing challenges on several fronts, including increasing bad debt from its telephony product offering and aggressive marketing campaigns from satellite companies fueled by the cable operator's decision not to offer the Big Ten Conference's regional sports network.
Meanwhile, Comcast and Time Warner are losing market share to satellite.
The same Pali Research analyst released another pessimistic report on the two cable giants, citing increasing competition from various quarters and their hard line on sports:
Cable, Greenfield adds, has not freed up enough bandwidth to deliver enough HD channels and has taken too hard a stance on sports programming it doesn't own, like the NFL Network and the Big Ten Network.As a result, he's trimming his 2007 and 2008 subscriber and and financial targets for both Comcast (CMCSA) and Time Warner Cable (TWC).
Satellite, meanwhile, is expanding far more rapidly than cable:
How have satellite companies fared recently? During Q2, DirecTV and EchoStar's Dish Network grew by 298,000 subscribers (net), while Comcast and Time Warner Cable collectively lost 152,000 subscribers (net). During Q1, satellite grew by 545,000 net subs, while the two cable companies added 121,000 net subs.
Also cited as a complicating factor: the entrance of AT&T and Verizon fiber optic services into various markets. AT&T's UVerse service carries the Big Ten Network. (One caution here: these reports and a couple others cited in previous posts are all the work of Richard Greenfield of Pali Research; he could be biased or wrong.)

Movement is possible with basketball season quickly approaching. Most Big Ten teams have half their games on the BTN, which could cause significant defections in Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan.

Go Blue!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

So are you on BTN's side?... I mean, they obviously aren't interested in people watching the games, only in getting as much $ as possible from the cable companies. The way I've understood it is BTN is not willing to negotiate at all, and that's not cool... I don't see why any cable company should be forced to eat the bill or raise everyones rates for something a pretty small fraction of the viewership is interested in.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Fash wrote:So are you on BTN's side?... I mean, they obviously aren't interested in people watching the games, only in getting as much $ as possible from the cable companies. The way I've understood it is BTN is not willing to negotiate at all, and that's not cool... I don't see why any cable company should be forced to eat the bill or raise everyones rates for something a pretty small fraction of the viewership is interested in.
BTN obviously struck up deals with a couple satellite providers, ATT UVerse, and certain smaller cable providers. How can those deals be cost-effective for them and not for Comcast? Our Comcast bill is like $180/mo. right now (including cable modem) and every other service I've looked into would be cheaper, with more channels (including BTN) than Comcast.

I'm under no illusions that either of the parties is doing anything other than trying to make the most money, but I hate Comcast. The sticking point between the two, from what I've heard, is that BTN wants to be put on expanded basic cable and Comcast wants it to be on a premium sports tier. Comcast has no problem putting Versus or the Golf Channel on expanded basic, because it owns those channels. Not that it's comparable to the quality of the BTN in games it's offering, but in the Southeast, Comcast offers Comcast/Charter Southeast Sports on expanded basic, because it owns a piece of it.

I would happily give up the Golf Channel, Versus, and probably 30 other channels that Comcast bundles into our "expanded basic cable" and pays a lot more than $1 per household for, in order to have the BTN. And my guess would be that a large number of Comcast subscribers (locally) would agree with me. They can't/won't budge to let their customers watch our teams play sports, but they have plenty of time to make their propaganda commercials, set up their propaganda websites, and hiring pr firms to go post on message boards pretending to be fans who were anti-BTN. I understand wanting money, but taking it that far makes me kind of sick.

So yeah, they're both bad, but Comcast is worse.

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

This sounds a lot like the issues between the NFL Network and Time-Warner. The NFL Network also refuses to let it be a stand-alone channel with a premium subscription. I would bet that it is because they would get more money by the $1 per consumer than the $12 per subscriber.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

For the NFL Network, sure, because most games people care about are already broadcast on local channels (FOX, CBS, NBC). Most people wouldn't spend the extra $12 per month to watch teams they don't care about play. The Big10 network has sole rights to most Big 10 games, though. In past years, I could watch every game Illinois played on our local CBS channel. I've been able to watch 2 Illinois games this year, and only because both were on ESPN.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

[quote="Sylvus]
BTN obviously struck up deals with a couple satellite providers, ATT UVerse, and certain smaller cable providers. How can those deals be cost-effective for them and not for Comcast? Our Comcast bill is like $180/mo. right now (including cable modem) and every other service I've looked into would be cheaper, with more channels (including BTN) than Comcast. [/quote]
That's what I'm paying right now and i get blast modem, unlimited telephone, and pretty much every channel they offer in my area plus the $5 i pay for the sports tier (3 fox college channels, cstv, nba, fsc, gol tv, tennis channel, nfl tv, and now nhl). All I don't get are the ppv items and channels like bollywood or filipinio.
I would happily give up the Golf Channel, Versus, and probably 30 other channels that Comcast bundles into our "expanded basic cable" and pays a lot more than $1 per household for, in order to have the BTN. And my guess would be that a large number of Comcast subscribers (locally) would agree with me.
No no, don't get rid of versus. they really have their hockey broadcasts down now. better yet, they get one of the floating hd channels when they broadcast(although that's not part of the standard channel tier). I'm sure you don't have YES, MSG, or SNY in your area, take those three channels of bandwidth. Hockey needs all of the exposure it can get.

As far as the btn and comcast is concerned, i woulnd't even know how much each channel adds to my cost of service. I've been on various promotional packages for over six years now. And since i don't have to wait for various promo packages to expire to reup w/ a better one, I'm pretty much good to go.

The only thing that i don't like about my service is that i am not offered specific league packages. I would gladly pay for nhl center ice and mls direct kick in my area. and that stinks as i know neither of those are dish-exclusive like nfl sunday ticket is.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Sylvus wrote:I would happily give up the Golf Channel, Versus, and probably 30 other channels that Comcast bundles into our "expanded basic cable" and pays a lot more than $1 per household for, in order to have the BTN. And my guess would be that a large number of Comcast subscribers (locally) would agree with me. They can't/won't budge to let their customers watch our teams play sports, but they have plenty of time to make their propaganda commercials, set up their propaganda websites, and hiring pr firms to go post on message boards pretending to be fans who were anti-BTN. I understand wanting money, but taking it that far makes me kind of sick.

So yeah, they're both bad, but Comcast is worse.
Ha! I have WideOpenWest (WOW!) cable and I think when they announced the Big Ten Network being added to the lineup, "Oxygen" was bumped to the advanced lineup. I think I said "Right On! Double score!"
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

This was in an email from Time Warner...kind of sad how they are trying to play on people's emotions with the elderly and low income line:
The NFL is Making a Bad Call
The NFL doesn’t want you to know this, but they’re pulling games off of cable TV, and running them on a network that you have to pay to see. They are punishing 245,000 fans in the Austin area, mostly elderly and low income, who cannot afford to pay extra to see NFL games. The NFL wants ALL customers, not just football fans – to pay more than $140 million for a network that only airs 8 live games a year. That’s 357 days of reruns! After repeated attempts to negotiate, the NFL refuses to allow Time Warner Cable to offer the NFL Network on its sports tier, where the NHL, NBA and soon, MLB are featured. Why is the NFL demanding special treatment? Voice your opinion at timewarnercentral.com.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

It's funny how they word that. The NFL isn't pulling the games off of anything "free" and putting them on a network you have to pay for. They're putting some games on their own cable channel, that Time Warner will have to pay for, instead of someone else's cable channel, that Time Warner already pays for. And as far as only 8 games being broadcast, I'm sure that number will go up as availability for the NFL Channel increases, and contracts with other broadcasters expire.

Once again, I realize that they are all just large corporations looking for money, I just hate the spin that the cable companies are putting on these stories.

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Big Ten Network also pulled out of negotiations with Time Warner.
Fuck Michigan!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

And we miss the OSU vs Wisconsin game this weekend. :?
Sabek
Just Sabek
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Weak...

Glad I have WOW! for Big Ten Network goodness.
- Ash
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

heh, you do. i have 5th row tickets. 8) 8) 8)
Fuck Michigan!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

In contrast, TWC maintains that offering specialized sports programming on a sports tier ensures that only the customers who want the programming will have to pay for it.
Why can't they take away all of the shitty channels I have to pay for just to get the channels I want now? They seem to be using that argument with the NFL Network situation, but that is the only channel they seem to want it to apply to.

I could care less if they carry the NFL Network or not, I have no interest in getting it. I would like a more comprehensive sports tier that included Setanta Sports and GolTV though!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I wonder how many shitty channels would go under if people got to pick the channels they subscibed to? I support this.
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Ashur wrote:I wonder how many shitty channels would go under if people got to pick the channels they subscibed to? I support this.
I'm going to ask them about the statement I quoted above sometime this weekend. I wonder how firmly they believe what was posted on their site.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Funny local commentary regarding the NFL Network issues with Time Warner:
If Jerry Jones is going to make people go to bars to see Cowboys games, he should buy them a ride home
Sunday, December 02, 2007

When the Cowboys games aren't on TV in Austin, I figure Jerry Jones has an obligation to provide Cowboys fans free shuttle service to sports bars.

If you're going to make it so folks have to go to a saloon to find the game on the tube, you should give them a ride so they can make it home in one piece.

Besides, the Cowboys' owner can afford it. He went out and got himself a face transplant. I'm sure that wasn't cheap, even though it looks like budget work.

OK, so here's the deal. There is this new TV setup called the NFL Network that has the exclusive rights to some NFL games. One of those was the Thursday night Cowboys-Packers game, which was a big 'un because the Cowboys and Packers are fighting for the right to get their butts kicked in the Super Bowl by New England. But the NFL Network and Time Warner are squabbling about money. So Time Warner didn't carry the game.

I'm not saying Jones should pay for rides for Cowboy fans to and from sports bars because I particularly like the Cowboys. City of Dallas: What's to like? The mascot's not even accurate. The only real cowboys left in Dallas are wearing a different kind of leather chaps in Deep Ellum.

Besides, it's hard to get behind a team whose owner does a computer-enhanced disco dance on a TV ad for Papa John's pizza. You couldn't chum for sharks with a Papa John's pizza.

Still, the team has a large following. So on Thursday night, when many Austinites couldn't pick up the game on Time Warner, the main cable TV provider in Austin, they had to flock to sports bars if they wanted to see the Cowboys-Packers game.

Sure, that's great for the bar business. But it's also potentially extra work for your favorite bail bondsman.

Why is it that the little guy always gets the shaft? So, because this is partly Jerry Jones' doing, I say he should pony up and buy everybody a ride when his games aren't on your home TV, since you're having to hunt down a bar stool instead of watching it from your couch. I think Jones should come up with a 1-900 number. After a few col' beers at Pluckers, you dial it up, and a silver and blue taxi shows up and takes you home.

Why is it the people who need help the least get most of the help? AT&T sucked up to the state Legislature by holding a party for our lawmakers to watch the game Thursday night on U-verse at the Alamo Drafthouse on South Lamar. The game was shown in high-def. I think that's significant, because when it came to the little people, AT&T was highly deaf.

So until all this is worked out, Jerry Jones should come pick you Cowboys fans up. Don't hold your breath waiting for him, though.