Can wine work with Sushi?

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Can wine work with Sushi?

Post by Keverian FireCry »

This isn't incredibly crucial, but I'd like to take a moment to pry some responses from you guys, as it may be a question that comes up in the future for other posters...

In two days my girlfriend of about 7 months is leaving for her home near Barcelona and I am prepping for a nice evening with her for tomorrow. Her favorite food is high-quality sushi, so my plan is getting take-out sushi from a great organic Japanese place nearby, which also offers the makings for a take-home "roll-your-own-sushi" meal, which I know we'll both enjoy.

However the only alcohol she drinks is red wine, but I know from experience that most wine(particularly red wine) just doesn't work with sushi.

I'm wondering if anyone has a particular wine choice for an exquisite sushi experience. I know a Rosé can work well with certain seafoods. That is what I'm leaning towards, but sushi is in a different league than western seafood and I want to make the best choice possible for what will be our last evening together for at least a couple months.

(yes I've googled this and found some possibilities, but i have a certain respect for the personalized opinions of the VV culinary crowd)

Buen Provecho!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Can wine work with Sushi?

Post by Aslanna »

I don't really have any suggestions. I typically have sake when I go out for sushi. I could see a nice white working well but not sure about red. It'd have to be something fairly light.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Arg, tough one.

However, if you are willing to experiment beforehand (I would suggest this), you are in luck as far as wine selection. As far as "lighter" wines you should be able to find a decent selection from here in the Willamette Valley, specifically, Dundee, OR.

Reds are going to be tough...even our delicate Pinot Noirs may be simply too much for sushi pairing.

However, you may find that a Pinot Gris works well, although I have never honestly had wine with Sushi--it is one of those culinary engineering marvels that one doesn't often deviate from--right down to the tasteless Japanese beer...it all seems to cleanse the palette and whatnot.

With that said, you can try these:

Pinot Gris
- Erath, Cooper Mountain (or Cooper Hill, which is their younger vine), Sokol Blosser, Elk Cove, and Anne Amie all have exceptional Pinot Gris (you will most likely see 2005, which is fine). Some local Chardonnay may also work, since it does not have all of the oak that CA chards have.

Argyle has a nice Rose, based on Pinot Noir grapes, although I am not sure they have one for this year.

Another thought....

How about a semi-sparkling wine? Argyle and Kramer both have excellent ones....either way, that may be too sweet.

And if you are experimenting, try a Pinot Noir after all. If you go with a single block or reserve, they may be too complex. Stick with the regularly distributed cuvees or younger vine. Rex Hill, Erath, Bridgeview (maybe), Ponzi, Cooper Mountain and Sokol Blosser may all work. You may need to visit something a little more specialized than a chain market though, even though OR wines should be readily available in your area.

---

And definately talk to someone at said specialty store--more often than not, there will be an expert around that can help.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Another thought...

Erath also has a Dry Riesling. Now before you discount the Riesling since it is a dessert wine, do try the Erath Dry Riesling. It is certainly not like your common dessert wine--in fact it is very much un-Riesling-like since it is rather light and completely disappears at the finish. It is probably one of the more unique white wines I have found in this region at least. This may be a good match as well.

You may however be better off going for wine after your dinner. Maybe grab some cheeses and fruits and pick up a few of the bottles I mentioned above. A good Pinot Noir is magnificent with light dessert fare, cheese and other tidbits. May be a good call for having a nice romantic post-dinner nightcap.
en kærlighed småkager
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to go with a Pinot Noir as it's worked well with lots of seafood dishes I've had and she generally loves it. Will tell ya how it goes!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Right on. Nothing like a good Pinot Noir! I never cared for it until I moved up here, but now I seem to spend way too much $$$ on the good ones...also having a vineyard up the road....and several of the best in OR 40 minutes away...well, fuck it, it is yummy.
en kærlighed småkager
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Trimbach Reisling, Gewertz or Pinot Blanc
Sinskey Pinot Blanc
Navarro Reisling or gewertz
Lazy Creek Gewertz
Sinskey Vin Gris
Tavel Rose

Reds are too sweet ripe fruit forward to really allow you to taste how good the sushi better be. You want bone dry with fruit a ton of Mineral and fruit
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

I always have sake with my sushi, just make sure it is warmed up to just before boiling, nothing beats it.

Maybe try sake and keep the Pinot noir handy in case it doesn't work out? Sake is the real deal after all.
Fortune favors the brave!
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

I know this digresses from OP - but in regards to sake, i've had both cold and warm/hot sak with my sushi. The rule of thumb I've always heard is shitty sake needs to be warmed up, high quality sake should be served cold. What's the deal with that shite?
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

I have always been told sake should be served warm with food and cold if you drink it alone. Ypou heat it to just below boiling is the rule I have learned, removes some of the alcohol too.

No idea if my version is correct though, sinc eit appears it is not the only way of doing it hehe.
Fortune favors the brave!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Where I go their typical sake is served chilled. They have a section titled 'American sake' and I was told that was served warm. I've never had anything from that list so I can't say what that tastes like. I usually get Otokoyama. Tasty!

According to the 'Sushi FAQ':
Historically, sake was served warm. The reasons were twofold. Firstly, this ancient drink was created before refrigeration and was therefore habitually served that way after methods to chill food and drink were developed. Secondly, sake was also historically a much more coarse beverage, and often took up flavors from the wooden casks in which it was stored. Many off flavors were also a side effect of the fermentation process, which were masked by serving the sake at a higher temperature. More recently, better brewing techniques, more refined strains of yeast and koji, and modern storage practices have created a very different product than in the past. A more refined product does not mean that all sake is the same, however. Just as western wines have subtle differences, so do sakes from different regions and different manufacturers. In general, high quality sake is meant to be consumed cold, while lower quality sake is drunk warm, which can hide off flavors that are created during the fermentation process of the cheaper brands...
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Cracc
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cracc »

Just thought id peek in and nitpick a bit ;):

Nihonshu is the actual name of japanese ricewine, sake is more or less the japanese word for alcohol, wich constitutes anything between light-beer brands to cold hard liquor.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Oh btw...the night with my gf went very well. Most romantic evening of my life tbh. We ended up saving the wine until the sushi dinner was over(which was amazingly tasty!). After dinner we had the Pinot Noir and some Port with some blackberry cheesecake I made. After dessert the night just kept getting better and better. :-$

Thanks for all the tips.