Infiniti G35X

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Infiniti G35X

Post by Funkmasterr »

Hola,
I was wondering if anyone has owned one of these, or knows anything about them. I was thinking about getting the Subaru Legacy Spec B next spring/summer when I buy a new car, but they are so rare that I really don't think I'll be able to get one in the range im looking at (1 - 2 years old.)

The Infiniti's are not common around here, so that kind of made me wonder. I'm just wondering about how they are for reliability/repair prices, etc. Keep in mind I'm driving an Audi A4, so what I think is expensive for car repairs is way high. I am going to check the consumer reports on them, but hearing from people that drive them every day is always better.

Thanks!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Infiniti G35X

Post by Aslanna »

They seem nice. If considering buying new you might want to hold off and wait for the 2008 G37 to come out. It will be replacing the G35. At least the coupe version. I think the sedan G35 will continue to stick around but I didn't really research it that much.

http://www.new-g35.com/
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Haven't heard any good news coming out of the crash test camp:
The institute conducted a series of four low-speed crashes on 11 2007 luxury vehicles. It found the Infiniti G35, which starts at $31,450, had the highest repair bill at nearly $14,000 in combined damages for the four tests. In one test involving the front-end, the G35’s bill was more than $5,000.
Quoted from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20078935/ but I have been seeing the same news elsewhere as well.
Zver
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Zver »

G35 was on my short list when i was looking for a new car, along with A4 and 335i. After test driving all of those, i ordered a BMW 335. It costs a little more, but i think its worth it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

The Infiniti's are not common around here, so that kind of made me wonder. I'm just wondering about how they are for reliability/repair prices, etc. Keep in mind I'm driving an Audi A4, so what I think is expensive for car repairs is way high. I am going to check the consumer reports on them, but hearing from people that drive them every day is always better.
I can harldy spit without hitting a G35 in Toronto.
Two guys on my street have one. One has a coupe, the other a sedan.
Awesome to drive and typical Japanese reliability.

They are built on the Altima platform.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah as much as I like Audi's and BMW's I am going to pass on them this next round because they are just too expensive to repair, and no one seems to buy the damn extended warranty to 100k miles which sucks because I want to buy a 1-2 yr old car.

I'm having trouble thinking of what else I might drive, cause I'm kind of a snob about what I will drive (won't drive acura, honda, toyata, mitsubishi, any american car, just to name a few) and I also won't buy a car that isn't AWD.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I really think you should go with a Subaru... If not a used specB, maybe a new Legacy.
I'm going to be picking up a new (2008) Impreza in a month or two.
I absolutely love Subarus.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:I really think you should go with a Subaru... If not a used specB, maybe a new Legacy.
I'm going to be picking up a new (2008) Impreza in a month or two.
I absolutely love Subarus.

I might do that, I still have time to think about it. I forgot another requirement for me: navigation!

Edit: I always fucking hit edit instead of quote..
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The GPS on Subaru is quite good.. at least on the B9 Tribeca.

The Legacy 2.5 GT is very reasonably priced.
AWD, 250bhp turbo and leather for 28k.
If you're in the market for one now, you could get a great deal on a 2007 or even a dealer demo.
Zver
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Zver »

Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah as much as I like Audi's and BMW's I am going to pass on them this next round because they are just too expensive to repair, and no one seems to buy the damn extended warranty to 100k miles which sucks because I want to buy a 1-2 yr old car.
New BMW's come with a 4year/50k miles warranty which also includes free maintanence (oil changes, brake pads, wiper blades, state inspections etc)...if you buy used, get a CPO BMW which will cover you for 6 years/100k miles. Again, you will pay a little more for it but i think its worth it. Plus i think residual value on them are a lot better then on a G35 or A4.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah Audi has the 50k mile bumper to bumper as well (so I payed nothing until after that point) but all of the problems came after that, and I didn't really have the 3k they wanted on top of the price of the car to buy the 100k warranty.

Another thing I go out of my way to try and do is NOT buy from a dealer. All of my cars have been brought from private parties.

As far as value goes, I don't know about BMW's - but my 01 A4 has 85k miles on it and is still worth 11-12k to a private party (I will also sell my car on my own, not trade it in and lose money.) Keep the infoz coming though, I gotta get this figured out and make the right decision on what car I get this time around.

Edit: I can't help but love how fucking sexy the G35 looks inside and out.
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

I'm going to second a subaru, seems like it's everything that you're looking for.

If you like sporty go wrx STI, they're amazing cars. ($35,000ish) and still practical with good gas mileage and 4 doors.
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

The STI's are too flashy for me (I hate spoilers), I'm looking more for the luxury/sport mix (with the Legacy Spec B has) more than just one or the other. I may consider a Legacy GT if I can't get my hands on the other car/s I'm looking for, I'll have to try and test drive one.

Also, I think it might be a good idea if I got away from driving a stick (I have bad hands/wrists/arms as it is) and the Infiniti would be just the car to do that :)
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

I could never give up driving stick.

If you go legacy (I have a friend with an older one, maybe 02 - 05, or something), I'd recommend staying away from the 4cyl "boxter" (or whatever it's called) engine.

Either that engine is an absolute dog, or a few of that particular car's horses died.

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

If you go legacy (I have a friend with an older one, maybe 02 - 05, or something), I'd recommend staying away from the 4cyl "boxter" (or whatever it's called) engine.
Jesus fuck, you're stupid.

If you buy a Legacy and choose to 'stay away from the 4cyl boxter (or whatever it's called) engine', you'll be buying a car with no engine.
The STI that you mentioned also comes with one of those 4cyl boxter (or whatever it's called) engines...

There is absolutely nothing with the design of a horizontally opposed (or boxer)engine. BMW, Porche and Mercedez have all used that design at one point or another in performance oriented automobiles and motorcycles. There are several reasons why a boxer engine is superior to a flat or a V configuration. Those include a lower center of gravity (better handling), less vibration (longer engine life) and an excellent torque curve. The drawbacks are the manufacturing costs and the fact that they are quite difficult to fit into a regular engine compartment... they are really wide.

Your friend probably just didn't maintain his car properly... but a base Legacy is not what you would call a performance car. 170bhp is not exactly 'smokin' for a mid sized sedan (0-60 in around 9 secs) but it's in the same ballpark as a base Accord and Camry.

Oh and the STI is totally NOT a practical car and it gets awful gas mileage. It would require an inhuman amount of self control to get decent mileage on a beast like that.
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

Ok so I was unaware that a legacy wasn't available before 08 in a v6, my bad.

I don't know what your issue is lately though dude, seriously. I said that maybe it was only a problem that particular car, didn't I? Her car's been shitty slow (way slower than 170 horsepower should be) since she bought it.

WRX STI is rated at 18 / 24 gas mileage, which isn't the best, but it's not completely awful either, and with 4 doors and a small but usable back seat (i've ridden in one, I'm 6' 170lbs) it's not all that unpractical either... unless you classify it as unpractical just because it's flashy.

I'm sorry I pissed you off yet again. (Even though it seems to be EASY to do.)

Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Neziroth wrote:WRX STI is rated at 18 / 24 gas mileage, which isn't the best, but it's not completely awful either, and with 4 doors and a small but usable back seat (i've ridden in one, I'm 6' 170lbs) it's not all that unpractical either... unless you classify it as unpractical just because it's flashy.
I like them, wouldn't own one though. They're hot in the summer, cold in the winter and stiff and noisy all the time. You won't get 18/24 out of one either.

Really fast, a blast to drive yes. If you're only going to have 1 car that isn't it.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Ok so I was unaware that a legacy wasn't available before 08 in a v6, my bad.
When the fuck could you EVER get a Subaru Legacy with a V6?

I don't know what your issue is lately though dude, seriously. I said that maybe it was only a problem that particular car, didn't I? Her car's been shitty slow (way slower than 170 horsepower should be) since she bought it.
I take issue when people say really stupid shit or when people spout off about shit that they clearly know nothing about. It's obvious you know fuck all about Subarus.

WRX STI is rated at 18 / 24 gas mileage, which isn't the best, but it's not completely awful either, and with 4 doors and a small but usable back seat (i've ridden in one, I'm 6' 170lbs) it's not all that unpractical either... unless you classify it as unpractical just because it's flashy.
18/24 is obscenely optimistic... it's also in Crown Victoria range. About the same as many mid-sized SUVs. That is not what anyone would consider 'good'.

As for it being 'practical'...
Compared to a Ferrari or a Porche, I suppose you could call it practical... but practicality is totally subjective so let's just leave it at that.

I'm sorry I pissed you off yet again. (Even though it seems to be EASY to do.)
Here's a tip.
Stop posting stupid shit.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah the STI isn't a practical everday car unless you are a spoiled rich kid. A friend of mine has a EVO and it's the same situation with that car, he never should have bought it - no one wants to work on it and his gas mileage is worse then my moms Trail Blazer.... At least with the Legacy Spec B you have multiple settings on the transmission so you can get better gas mileage when you won't be racing around (at least that's how I understood it, correct me if I'm wrong.)
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

The legacy is (going to be) available in a v6 in 08, and I knew that. I didn't know it was the first year, though.

Quit being such a fucking dickhead already. You can point out that somebody is wrong about something in so many better ways than you choose to do. You love to just come in and turn shit into a flame war for no reason instead of just saying "no, no that's not right."

Good luck with the car search funk

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Quit being such a fucking dickhead already. You can point out that somebody is wrong about something in so many better ways than you choose to do. You love to just come in and turn shit into a flame war for no reason instead of just saying "no, no that's not right."
I'm totally capable of having a reasonable conversation with anyone on these forums... The shit you spew on these forums is so consistently uninformed and ignorant that I can't help but flame you.

Think before you post.
Somali
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Somali »

miir wrote:
I can harldy spit without hitting a G35 in Toronto.
Two guys on my street have one. One has a coupe, the other a sedan.
Awesome to drive and typical Japanese reliability.

They are built on the Altima platform.
While they may be built around the altima platform, there are some fairly significant differences between the Altima and the G35. The G35 comes RWD standard, and has the option for AWD (I believe the AWD system they use is the Attesa system from the Skyline.) The interiors are (or at least were when I looked) light years apart. And if you look at the coupe the difference is even more dramatic with the seating.

Also, I wouldn't really put Subaru in the same category with the Infiniti line. The Infiniti is more of a mid-tier luxury car for the G35, the impreza is a sport car, and the legacy is somewhere in between. So the quest is, are you more interested in peppy, or are you more interested in feeling comfy. Both cars do either reasonably well, but the Infiniti leans more to comfy where the Subaru leans more to peppy.

I do like the Tribeca though. I was considering steering my wife in that direction for her next car.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I wasn't trying to compare Subraus and Infinitis. :)
I just knew that one of Funk's main criteria for a car were AWD and we had previously discussed the Legacy specB. I wasn't recommending the Impreza to Funk. I just mentioned that I'm going to be purchasing one.
Somali
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Somali »

Thats what I get for skimming. But he can still get the Infiniti and AWD, and if it really does use the Atessa system, then the AWD function should be extremely well done and he wouldn't lose creature comforts he is used to from the Audi.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I don’t think you could go wrong with either of those cars. I personally wouldn't be concerned about the spec b adds and just consider the regular legacy gt limited. It seems like a lot of extra money for less luxurious seats, oversized wheels, and a tighter suspension. If you have your budget already set and both cars fit, I'd probably get the G. I haven't driven the new one but I did test drive the older one and it was a great car. The infiniti dealer is also a lot closer to my house than the subaru one. That being said, both cars are on my personal short list but the price difference would defnintely play a role so i'd have a real tough time picking between two.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Not that it can be spoken of freely but waiting for the EVO X would be smert at least to check out... the AWD system is light years better than anything out there.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:Not that it can be spoken of freely but waiting for the EVO X would be smert at least to check out... the AWD system is light years better than anything out there.
Care to elaborate? I have heard that Subaru's AWD is one of the best, but I'm just curious if there are specific details you know that support it being the best. I have had no issues with the AWD in my Audi, I can plow through snow and keep control just as well as any SUV on the road, and I've never had any slipping issues on dry ground either.

I don't know anything about the EVO X, but what I do know is my friend has one that is a few years old, and I don't really care for it. Yes I know it's a nice car, but it's too flashy (I hate spoilers) and I'm starting to wonder if I want to steer away from manual transmissions. But who knows, you might be able to make a compelling case!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

the AWD system is light years better than anything out there.
SAWC is a cool little bit of technology but calling it 'light years better than anything out there' is pretty fucking hillarious.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

miir wrote:
the AWD system is light years better than anything out there.
SAWC is a cool little bit of technology but calling it 'light years better than anything out there' is pretty fucking hillarious.
If you and I (not a racecar driver) can easily discern a difference between two bits of technology then yes, light years it is. In the world of cars where everyone and everything are differentiated mostly by what is released by it's fanbois and manufacturers rather than something you can actually feel (I love people talking HP when unless you are a race car driver you are not going to feel anything under a 10% increase) most improvements are small at best. SH-AWD and DCCD systems are a complete push if you drive them without knowing the differences whereas SAWC is flat out superior simply because driving it you will say holy shit at the difference, you will feel it and it will give you fucking wood at how cool it is.

Jefferson
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Funkmasterr wrote:A friend of mine has a EVO and it's the same situation with that car, he never should have bought it - no one wants to work on it
Noone wants to work on it? Are you kidding me? EVOs are like the most modded cars out there right now and you can find shops to work on them everywhere. Just throw a rock. That said, EVOs are POS. And the EVO X just makes it even uglier.

Also the Spec B is not worth it over a regular GT.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Kelshara wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:A friend of mine has a EVO and it's the same situation with that car, he never should have bought it - no one wants to work on it
Noone wants to work on it? Are you kidding me? EVOs are like the most modded cars out there right now and you can find shops to work on them everywhere. Just throw a rock. That said, EVOs are POS. And the EVO X just makes it even uglier.

I think he was referring to repairs, not mods.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
Kelshara wrote:

I think he was referring to repairs, not mods.
Correct. I have actually had people tell me they don't want to work on my car so it would be too expensive, he has had the same issues when his broke. I have however found a good mechanic that I've been going to that will work on almost anything.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Kelshara wrote:

Most Modders can't afford an evo's upkeep, they are far from "the most modded car out there" simply because they are not a mass production car.

Jefferson
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

EVOs are like the most modded cars out there right now
Not even close.
Somali
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Somali »

Who does the title go to these days? Any clue? Is it still the Civic?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Although there's probably no real data on the subject, I'm 99.9999999% sure it's the Civic by a HUGE margin.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I would say off the lot they are the most modded. By this I mean that a good majority of the (performance) parts used in that car are the kind of parts you would buy off of ebay for your civic.
Somali
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Somali »

Can we count stickers as "mods?" Especially if they are Kana? Or maybe the NUSPEED stickers that make the cars drive fast?
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

The Civic is easily the most modded car... preferable with an Integra GSR motor

Jefferson
Spankes
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spankes »

A good friend of mine has a G35 and loves it. But, the trunk on it is smaller than my Civic's trunk....that is a deal killer for me. I need to be able to get 2+ sets of golf clubs in my trunk without an instruction manual (which the g35 comes with...).

I am looking at the 335i as my next car and while the price tag has kept me away from pulling the trigger I will come around eventually.
EQ - Spankes - Retired
Wow - Randulph
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:
Kelshara wrote:

Most Modders can't afford an evo's upkeep, they are far from "the most modded car out there" simply because they are not a mass production car.
I don't consider putting stickers and a park bench on a car as modding so that rules out Civics.

The 335i is a hell of a car and high on my list for when we add a second car (we only have one car now, don't need two at the moment so it is a huge money saver).
Zver
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Zver »

I just got the 335i this weekend - i can't stop driving it. Personally, i dont think you can even compare it to G35 i test drove. I'm glad i choose 335 over the G.

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think around the end of next week I am finally going to pick up a G35X, probably an 05 or 06. I'm super excited !
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

I am quite enamoured with the g35 coupe. Its also the skyline (for you rice rocket fans) and they are very well built. In case anyone here forgot, I am an auto mechanic, I do know how these cars are built. I shake my head in amazement whenever someone spends so much $$ on a bmw or mercedez. No offense of course, just if you keep it passed 60k your fuxored repair wise.

Jap cars are different. Something about those people actually makes them take pride in quality control, unlike here in the US. And then the germans, well can you say "over engineered" You know thats why they lost the war right? ;)
Sick Balls!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I learned the german engineering lesson with my A4. I do not make enough money to buy a brand new car (period) let alone sell it at 50k miles, and unless you fall into that category (or you are a mechanic) you really have no business buying a german car. Between 50k-86k miles on my A4 I put $7500 at LEAST in repairs into my car.. Stuff was breaking I haven't even heard of, and my timing belt may go anytime which could end up being a 5-6k repair, so the car has GOT to go.

I recently thought I had a brake problem, and I also needed a new tire. I was going to get the tire replaced and went out to look at what tire I needed, and saw something in the rim... I looked closer, and I had a FULL SCARF in my whell, all wrapped up and pinched in my caliper/pad/disc.. I couldn't believe ti, weirdest damn thing ever.. So I took the wheel off and took the brakes apart and got it out, and it's fine now.

I just hope with my shitty credit I can get approved for a loan when I go to trade the car in next week.. If I can't I'm going to sell it anyhow and go without a car for a while, I am absolutely terrified about the timing belt..
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Timing belts dont usually break, perse. they tend to jump teeth, wich affects engine power (significantly) and shouldnt cost you more than 3 or 4 hundie to fix. Pennysaver adds are great for finding those timing belt discount adds, find one and call them ask if your car fits into the "most cars" disclaimer, and it could run less than 200 bones.

Now if it does break, yes engine = toast.
Sick Balls!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I dont know much about engines but I thought it was that timing chains don't tend to break but belts do. Maybe they just say that to scare you into having it replaced.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Noysyrump wrote:Jap cars are different. Something about those people actually makes them take pride in quality control, unlike here in the US. And then the germans, well can you say "over engineered" You know thats why they lost the war right? ;)
I'm curious, can you see a difference between a honda built in Japan compared to one in the US? I am pretty sure my oldish '98 civic w/ 205k was assembled in the states but the thing is just plain stupid reliable. If the oem exhuast was stainless steel, I wouldn't have had any problems. It was just before they started to over-computerize cars so that might make a difference, but it seems like it's built really really well even though I think it's been assembled in the US w/ 65% of the parts coming from the US as well if I remember the window sticker correctly. I only ask because most "american" cars aren't built in america any longer while a lot of "foreign" cars are built here.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Aslanna wrote:I dont know much about engines but I thought it was that timing chains don't tend to break but belts do. Maybe they just say that to scare you into having it replaced.
Chains don't really break but the engine needs to be opened occasionally to replace the water pump (differs by model but we're talking 90-100k miles as a minimum). Timing belts can and do break but the slippage from worn teeth is the most common problem. However, when a belt breaks, your engine is fucked so it's not worth the risk. The teeth can also be examined for wear but since even a belt doesn't need to to be replaced until 90k in Hondas (not sure about any other makes), it's not an everyday repair so there's no need for panic.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Well on the A4, the problem is for them to even look at the belt they have to rip the entire front end of the car apart (I was there when they looked at it last), which they end up charging a ton for.

The lowest quote I got just to replace the belt (most people tried to tell me that I should replace the water pump and all the other shit that is run off the timing belt in my car because if it breaks the belt breaks), was $1500.. Which I didn't just have laying around so I didn't do it at the time, but it was worn and I am paranoid, because if it does go I would be looking at 5-6k in repairs on a car I owe 9k on..

Anyhow, picking my G35X up from the dealership tomorrow! I'll post pics of it after I get a chance to take them :)