Infiniti G35X

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Re: Infiniti G35X

Post by Aardor »

Wow...I got an oil change, and new timing belts on my 2003 330xi (a car that is often compared to the G35X), and I paid $150 total. $1500 for a new timing belt? I will never ever buy an Audi.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah from what I gathered from the people I spoke with, BMW's are much cheaper for timing belt replacements. Also, some of the higher end model BMW's still have timing chains, and their timing chains are like a double reinforced link so they are really strong and don't tend to have issues.

The Audi was so expensive to repair it's not even funny.. Rarely could I get it into the shop for less than $750-1k, and I shopped around for the price of the work at a large range of places all the way from the dealership, to big name repair shops, to mom & pop type places.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

I guess the a4 = jetta clone? or is it the passat? Irregardlessly, yeh I've had to remove headlamps/bumpers and radiators on those cars to get at the front of the engine... man what a nightmare.

US built hondas and nissans still fit into the jap built concept, because they still design them along their usual lines, just assemble them here is all. Now our domestics (wich are built in mexico!) are designed to maximize profits at the expense of long term reliability.

GM knows people who buy new cars, tend to replace them after a few years. So they dont design them to last any longer than that. Of course that rams it deep into anyone who buys a used GM product. Ford was a little bit better but their focus proved they feel the same way. What a pile of sheet. Now chrysler... I think they are just dumb. Because their shit breaks within months of purchass.
Sick Balls!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Noysyrump wrote:GM knows people who buy new cars, tend to replace them after a few years. So they dont design them to last any longer than that. Of course that rams it deep into anyone who buys a used GM product. Ford was a little bit better but their focus proved they feel the same way. What a pile of sheet. Now chrysler... I think they are just dumb. Because their shit breaks within months of purchass.
GM has lots of makes and I don't think all of them are created equally. I would never consider buying anything from them save for Cadillac or Buick. The new CTS and Enclave (the former for me, latter for the wife) are really competitive vehicles in their respective categories. I have test driven both vehicles and they compltete their mission statement very very well.

Definitely post pics of your G once you get it. I've been batting around getting a new car for over 2 years now but our money seems to end up in other places all of the time and it's obvious that my car is ridiculously well built. I would hate to part w/ it based on that but if I did, the G would be on my very short list. I would say 1 out of every 4 gas station attendents (full service in NJ) ask if I'm looking to sell.
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

I just got a 2006 g35 coupe, fully loaded, manual transmission, about a month and a week ago.

amazing car, fun to drive, only thing when I bought it, we got it used with 20,000 and it only came with one set of keys. Buying another set of keys (with remote) costs around $280 (Key $101, remote $110, programming $68 for 45min of programming) I found that to be a little outlandish.
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Clatis wrote:I just got a 2006 g35 coupe, fully loaded, manual transmission, about a month and a week ago.

amazing car, fun to drive, only thing when I bought it, we got it used with 20,000 and it only came with one set of keys. Buying another set of keys (with remote) costs around $280 (Key $101, remote $110, programming $68 for 45min of programming) I found that to be a little outlandish.
Finally taking delivery on mine tomorrow, this has been a ridiculously long process (1 week). My credit is bad but I don't give a shit, it's no excuse and I'm frustrated, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

That's not too bad for keys, btw. I lost one of mine (for the A4) snowmobiling a few years ago and when I looked at getting it replaced it was about $500.
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Clatis wrote:I just got a 2006 g35 coupe, fully loaded, manual transmission, about a month and a week ago.

Finally taking delivery on mine tomorrow, this has been a ridiculously long process (1 week). My credit is bad but I don't give a shit, it's no excuse and I'm frustrated, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

That's not too bad for keys, btw. I lost one of mine (for the A4) snowmobiling a few years ago and when I looked at getting it replaced it was about $500.

Nice, you'll love your G, amazing driving experience..

and 500 for a key? damn. After buying it I looked on ebay and found plenty of un-coded keys w/ remotes for around $70 which would have saved a lot, but live and learn.

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Got it last night! It's a 2004 G35X with 20k miles on it, it's got all options except for the nav, and whoever owned it had a after-market wood grain package installed that I think looks really nice. I drove it quite a bit last night and I love it!

It handles really well, I pushed it a bit around corners and it gripped really well, even on wet surfaces. This is my first automatic transmission, I couldn't deal with the downtown traffic every day and a manual, but for what I know of auto transmissions this one is really smooth.

The seats engulf you, they are so much more comfortable than my old A4, and the console is nice too. Overall I'm thrilled both to be rid of my Audi, and to be in this new, much nicer and more reliable car!

I haven't snapped any pics yet but I will tonight probably :D
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

does yours have VDC? it prevents me from doin a lil sliding =/ but i don't want to turn it off and slide off the road

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah it does, he briefly explained that to me but yeah, I definitely can't turn it off at least until the roads dry up and get swept off here! I also have a snow on/off switch, and I can't remember if I had that one explained to me.
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

it's near your left knee just above the hood pop if it's set up like mine. I'm waiting for an open parkinglot to play with it before i start taking it off randomly

edit: you weren't looking for where it was... i just woke up

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I want to get some pics of my car but it's dirty as hell right now because all the snow has been melting and the roads are a mess, now today it is snowing again.. Fucking Minnesota.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I don't think the VV community will treat you any differently if your car isn't spotless!
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Clatis,
Have you had any issues with the windshield scratching easily?

I noticed some very small streaks from the windshield wipers towards the top of my windshield today, I think they are new. It snowed last night and my car was very icy when I left for work this morning, but I cleaned the wipers off the best I could, and even still if a little ice scratched it that's kind weak.

Luckily I have a coupon from the place I bought it at for 100$ in glass repair. I can't imagine like 3 scratches about 5 inches long and a paper width deep should cost more than that to fix.
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

Whoa, that's weird. I haven't had any issues with the windshield scratching, maybe it's a fluke

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

So I have been meaning to do this for a while now, but here are the pics - kinda crappy pictures but I just wanted to get something up :)

Putting them in a spoiler tag because for some people the next two might be slightly NWS:
[Show]
Pic of the interior - I have some custom wood grain kit: Haven't completely decided how I feel about it yet:

A little closer look at the wood grain :)

I love the car so far!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Is it just me, or does your pipe look like a cock and balls?

grats on the car though :P
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Uhhhg... you got the 4 door? Dork.
Sick Balls!