What to do? Kitchen power issues?

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

What to do? Kitchen power issues?

Post by Ransure »

Ok, so Im in my new place, and every time I power up the microwave the breaker goes.... its a 600w cheap piece of crap... and I dont use it often, but Im planning on buying a blender, slow cooker and a food processor... should I buy a few battery backups to plug the more power hungry appliances into? Or should I keep calling my landlord and demanding higher amperage breakers?......HELR!"|!?!)@(*!))(!*@#
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: What to do? Kitchen power issues?

Post by Knarlz »

Ransure wrote:Ok, so Im in my new place, and every time I power up the microwave the breaker goes.... its a 600w cheap piece of crap... and I dont use it often, but Im planning on buying a blender, slow cooker and a food processor... should I buy a few battery backups to plug the more power hungry appliances into? Or should I keep calling my landlord and demanding higher amperage breakers?......HELR!"|!?!)@(*!))(!*@#
Move to a better trailer! j/k

Probebly has a fridge and whatever else on the same circuit. In concept you might have a flakey microwave. See if it causes problems when hooked up in another areas (different circuit breaker). If still a problem , see if there is any thing you could move around and bug the landlord.
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Trace your outlets to specific breakers...as in, buy a $1 outlet tester, plug it in, turn breakers off till the little lights on the tester go off...so you know which breaker has which receptacles. If you're entire kitchen's worth of outlets are on the same breaker, you're fucked. You will only be able to use your microwave and blender when your refrigerator is not running.

If there is more than one circuit run to your receptacles in the kitchen, its as simple as a little reorganization to get to the other outlets. :)

Otherwise, you need a larger breaker...and 20amp is as large as you can safely go, no doubt, with the wire size in the walls.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

If it's an older place you're in, you're probably not going to be able to pull much more than 20 ampere which should mean that your breakers are going to go off every time you top 2200 watts. If you're unlucky and you're stuck at 16 or 12 amps you're looking at proportionately less (you guys run 110 volts, right? if you run 220 you're double screwed :o).
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Could be a failing breaker for that circuit if everything in the kitchen isn't on one breaker, or as someone else mentioned the MW itself may be the issue.

On the fridge the only high power demand is at compressor startup (>1 second), under normal operation they're a very light load even when the compressor is running.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."