Anyone drive a GTI?

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Traz-KOE
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Anyone drive a GTI?

Post by Traz-KOE »

I'm looking to buy a new car in the next few months, as my Saturn is starting to show it's age and is really just not that much fun to drive. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the 2007 VW GTI and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Anyone drive a GTI?

Post by Canelek »

A friend of mine has one and he loves it. I have not driven it, but have spent plenty of time shotgun. The thing handles like a champ. He doesn't have all of the go-fast upgrades, but it seems like it has enough pep for good times. I would say it is a good buy, even though I am not an owner.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

You're probably gonna get a ridiculous insurance hike going to a GTI.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:You're probably gonna get a ridiculous insurance hike going to a GTI.

Possibly true. Liability on the 07 GTI shouldn't be bad at all, but the cost for adding comprehensive and collision could be a bit high. The extent of the increase really depends on which Saturn he has now. Comprehensive and Collision will most likely be lower on any Saturn, but maybe not by much.
Traz-KOE
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Traz-KOE »

I'm currently paying $400/6 mo. for full coverage on my (1999 SL2) Saturn. I've done preliminary pricing on insurance for the GTI and expect it to go to about $600/6 mo. for the 2-door model, and probably somewhat lower than that for the 4-door model (though I have yet to find an company which includes the sedan in their list of possible choices). I have decent credit and a spotless record, so I'm not terribly worried about the insurance hike.

Most dealerships in my area, however, are returning that the 2007 4-doors are hard to come by and pressing either the 2008 models or the 2-door 2007 models instead. I'm not adverse to either; so far I really like what I'm reading.

I figure I have a few months to save up a nice down payment and can hit the dealerships in the lean season (read: end of December) for a stronger bargaining platform; by then the 2008 models should be out and better reviewed, and I'm keeping my eyes open for solid incentives.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

The 08 will always be worth more than the 07. I personally would lease a GTI and not purchase as the long term reliability of VW (and most euro cars) electrical systems is questionable at best but they residualize great for 36 months.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:The 08 will always be worth more than the 07. I personally would lease a GTI and not purchase as the long term reliability of VW (and most euro cars) electrical systems is questionable at best but they residualize great for 36 months.

Yeah, I have had problem after problem with my Audi, but the one nice thing is the value is still pretty decent on it, so when I sell it I will have a big down payment for my next car.
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

I rode in a friend's 06 or 07 GTI. He had a computer upgrade that upped his turbo (I think the turbo is stock) to 22lbs of boost.

That thing was a rocket. That's all I can tell you about it.... that and that it would be fun to have one.

And for reference on insurance (dunno if this will help)

I went from a 99 Pontiac Sunfire paying 1059 / yr to a
06 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged paying 1175 / yr

1 2pt ticket on my record
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~