Upcoming UFC Goodness!

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Upcoming UFC Goodness!

Post by Kryshade »

Man, this is a great summer for both video games and MMA!

UFC 74:
Couture vs Gonzaga: This is gonna be a sweet fight. I actually am giving the edge to Gonzaga. I haven't seen him fight anyone other than Crocop, but the man looks like Blanca from Streetfighter! As much as I like Randy, I think I gotta give the edge in this fight to Gonzaga.

St. Pierre vs Koschek: This should be a pretty nice matchup also! Both explosive fighters. GSP much better at striking and standup than Koschek, but if it goes to the ground. I gotta give the strength and ground game to Koschek. I still see GSP pulling out the win on this one, but it should be a great fight.

UFC 75:
Henderson vs Rampage: This has got to be one of the best matchups ever. I'm super excited to see some of the cross UFC/Pride matches starting to happen, and what better way then to start with these two?? I like Rampage more than Henderson just for his showmanship, but I actually think Henderson is gonna pull out the win here. I think he's just a more cool and complete fighter. Rampage is sheer power and strength, but I think Henderson is gonna keep his cool and pull out the win.

Cropcop vs. Congo: Hoping to see Crocop return in style to his former glory. Congo is a nasty striker, but so is Crocrop. This one should have plenty of fireworks. I pick Crocop to pull out the victory though!

Hammill vs. Bisping: I really like both of these guys! Hard for me to pick which one I want to win! Probably Hammill just because of his handicap. Although I like Bisping as well... whoever wins I'll be happy!

Oh yeah, best of all... UFC 75 is FREE ON SPIKE TV!!! God bless Spike!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Upcoming UFC Goodness!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Hehe Hammill VS Bisping, can't believe so many people want to see this fight!

Mainly TUF:ers though i assume! ;)
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Post by Waran »

I'll go Gonzaga and St. Pierre. Couture is still great, but I'll give Gonzaga the edge. There is something that just annoys the HELL out of me about Koschek so I hope St. Pierre beats the living crap out of him. Still reeling from Illinois' own Matt Hughes loss to him, but I'd much rather see him take this one.

Not too sure about the other ones, but I'll definitely be watching the free show. Brilliant decision by UFC/Spike by trying to increase viewership offering free PPV's

Oh yeah, I'm a TUF geek, so I'll root for Bisping too ;)
Breagen
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Breagen »

I think you are underestimating GSP's ground game/skills to be honest. He is a higher ranked BJJ practitioner than Koscheck and he also trains wrestling with the Canadian Olympic team. Furthermore he has more wins by submission than Koscheck and has demonstrated a very good ability to avoid take downs and remain standing if he wants to. Koscheck, however; seems to get a lot of credit for his overpowering charging take downs but that doesn't mean he is also amazing once there ala Koscheck/Sanchez. The only time Koscheck went for a TD he got it but than Diego took his back seconds before the round ended.

Couture vs Gonzaga I would love to see Couture pull out another stunning fight like his last one and quite frankly I would not bet against that guy, he is just insane when he is on his game.

Henderson vs Rampage I'd have to put my vote for Rampage not only because he is probably the funniest guy in MMA but I think he has really improved in some areas in the past year or so.
Forest Stalker - EQ Retired
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Make no mistake, it was godly what Randy did to Ogre Sylvia, but Gonzaga is a BEAST!

Young, hungry and STRONG!

Randy better bring his A+game to this fight!

Gonz is no joke!

I sincerely hope Randy takes it but if i was betting the house on it, i'd bet on Gonz.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Kryshade wrote:Man, this is a great summer for both video games and MMA!

UFC 74:
Couture vs Gonzaga: This is gonna be a sweet fight. I actually am giving the edge to Gonzaga. I haven't seen him fight anyone other than Crocop, but the man looks like Blanca from Streetfighter! As much as I like Randy, I think I gotta give the edge in this fight to Gonzaga.

St. Pierre vs Koschek: This should be a pretty nice matchup also! Both explosive fighters. GSP much better at striking and standup than Koschek, but if it goes to the ground. I gotta give the strength and ground game to Koschek. I still see GSP pulling out the win on this one, but it should be a great fight.

UFC 75:
Henderson vs Rampage: This has got to be one of the best matchups ever. I'm super excited to see some of the cross UFC/Pride matches starting to happen, and what better way then to start with these two?? I like Rampage more than Henderson just for his showmanship, but I actually think Henderson is gonna pull out the win here. I think he's just a more cool and complete fighter. Rampage is sheer power and strength, but I think Henderson is gonna keep his cool and pull out the win.

Cropcop vs. Congo: Hoping to see Crocop return in style to his former glory. Congo is a nasty striker, but so is Crocrop. This one should have plenty of fireworks. I pick Crocop to pull out the victory though!

Hammill vs. Bisping: I really like both of these guys! Hard for me to pick which one I want to win! Probably Hammill just because of his handicap. Although I like Bisping as well... whoever wins I'll be happy!

Oh yeah, best of all... UFC 75 is FREE ON SPIKE TV!!! God bless Spike!
74 - Excitement over Randy dies about 7 years ago and George has never done anything for me other than make me laugh when people were proclaiming him the greatest UFC Champ ever. The rest of this card is... meh.

75 - Hendo should take Rampage easy, pity too as I will be behind Rampage all the way, this is a fight to look forward to and in the end will probably end in round 1. Bispring and Crocops fights do absolutely nothing for me other than MAYBE we will finally see a left foot out of Mirko.

76 - Poor Forrest... seriously... poor Forrest
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

I have to agree with Kwon that I think Gonzaga is a beast. If he comes with the intensity it looks like he has, then I think Randy is gonna be hard pressed. Now if Randy can get in the zone and "impose his will" then I think he may be able to use his experience in the game to outwit Gonzaga and pull out the win.

Bisping vs Hamill - Just because they aren't necessarily superstars or top tier fighters doesn't mean this won't be a great matchup. Look at Griffin vs Bonner... those were two nobodies, and that is still one of the best fights I've ever seen. I have people at my office that no nothing about MMA that have seen that fight and mentioned how awesome it was. Don't get me wrong, fights like Henderson/Rampage, or Crocop/Liddell etc are sure to bring some excitement, but there's the possibility for a great fight anywhere. Bisping and Hamill are both strong, wrestling/ground and pound types who don't like each other very much. To me this has the makings of a great fight.

You don't have to like GSP, but you have to acknowledge his athleticism and ability. I've never proclaimed him the best, but he is certainly one of the more explosive and energetic fighters. Koschek has shown some explosiveness and raw power as well, so again I think it should be a good fight. I still give the win to GSP on this one.

I like Rampage. He's got a great personality and doesn't seem to let his status get to him. I too hope he wins, but I think Henderson is probably the all around more skilled fighter. It will remain to be seen how much Rampage has accomplished with his new training regime, but he has made some serious improvements lately.

I actually really like Forrest Griffin, but to take on Hua, he's just not to that level yet. Although he did give Ortiz a run for his money when he fought him, so this isn't the first time he'll fight a tough opponent. I still don't think he has a chance against Hua though!

Really, I don't care how meh the card is... it's free, and for a free card, it's got some pretty nice matchups on it!!

Don't make me armbar you for being negative!!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

With the wealth of talent in the UFC now these cards surprise the hell out of me.

Mind you I don't pay for any event, I don't have cable and stream every event so to me a free card on Spike means nothing special, I can see where it would be nice though.

You point on the Bispring fight is valid I just don't see a ton of action, I do hope you are right and I am wrong as they get. Gonzaga as the UFC Champ is kinda a joke, you have to admit, this guy is maybe the 10th best HW in the world. GSP has buckets of talent and very little brains, he is reactive when faced with adversity and does not impress me much because of it. When a fight is going his way he can be very good but that doesn't make a great fighter to me.

Hendo is an animal, I am behind Page all the way but I would not want to fight Hendo, he really is skilled on so many fronts and such a quick thinker, Jackson better hope for a KO.

Again my disappointment with the cards has to do with the fact that they have not improved with the combining of the 2 big time promoters. These are the same quality of cards we got used to seeing out of the UFC 2 years ago and now they have double the talent. Huarta/Crane?? Cote/Grove??? These are televised fights?? Davis/Taylor??? I don't even know their first names off the top of my head!! Liddell/Jardine?!!!??!?!?!?one@@ Jesus fucking Christ on a cracker give me my Liddell and Silva fucking finally before they both are wearing fucking dentures! Seriously the UFC cards have not improved a lick since absorbing Pride.

Edit to add: http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=EventDe ... rd&eid=760 if the #2 fight on your card includes someone you don't even have a god damn picture of... you might have a weak card!
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

Very good points Pherr. I will agree that now that the two talent pools are mixed, we should start seeing more of the "Super Showdown" type matches. IMO though, the merger is still fresh, and we're already starting to see some of those. Henderson vs. Rampage is a perfect example. Not only to see the fight, but to also consolidate the titles. One person will emerge from that fight as the number one Light Heavyweight in the world. That's a pretty cool thing to see only a month or two after the merger. Also, i read an article where they had talked about Silva vs. Liddell, but Silva wouldn't take the fight. Something to think about when you consider how matches come about. The fighters have to agree to it as well.

I agree that the UFC certainly should NOT advertise some fights. Liddell vs. Jardine is a joke. Just because Liddell is one of the most recognized names doesn't mean his fight with some rank B fighter deserves headlines. That's just stretching it there and I don't think it's even worthy of mention, much less headlining a PPV event!

On the flipside, not every fight can be the Superbowl. You have to have and showcase the up and comers. Gabriel Gonzaga is a good example of that. Until his fight with Crocop I didn't even know he existed. It would have been much more exciting and would have generated a larger fan base if I had seen his rise to the top, or at the very least known who he was. You have to have some of the fillers to tell the story to make the "Superfights" what they are. I really do agree with you though that the UFC sometimes advertises fights that they shouldn't. I know who Patrick Cote is, and I know who Kendell Grove is. They're both from TUF series. It's a fight I'd watch on tv, but no way would it entice me to buy a PPV event.

I think the UFC is growing, and even faster now that they've acquired Pride. I think once we see some of the newer blood have a chance to prove themselves and become the big names like Rampage, Hendo, Silva, Liddell etc that we'll see more and more of the superfights. Until then I'm content to watch some of the other contests like Hammill vs Bisping, and Koschek vs. GSP. The fact that the UFC would broadcast over cable television a fight like Henderson vs. Rampage tells me that they really do care about the fans and are trying to grow the sport even more.
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

Crappy double post!
Last edited by Kryshade on August 6, 2007, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Very good points Pherr.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Very good points Pherr.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Sionistic wrote:
Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Very good points Pherr.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

AND NOW IT'S ON!

Hoping Randy takes it but GONZILLA IS A BEAST that will prolly brutalize him!

Interesting to see Frank Mir back in the game again as well!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Randy's using everything in the book! :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Gamei
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gamei »

God that nose was nuts. How could he breath? As a non mma fanatic watching my first UFC in about 12 years I really enjoyed it. I'm sure we'll be watching the next one too.
Merada - 70 Druid
Brethren
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

Not sure how long it will last, but here's a video of Couture vs Gonzaga!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2u33d ... zaga_sport
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Basically went how I thought it would.
Breagen
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Breagen »

Easily one of the best cards I've ever seen. Only fight I was disappointed with was the Grove/Cote match because it was looking really interesting than ended suddenly with that heavy right hand from Cote.

I'm looking forward to a Stevenson vs Huerta fight in the future, possibly leading up to a shot against BJ Penn down the line. Huerta is in incredible physical shape and I'd love to see him with a stronger BJJ game and a bit more polished stand up eventually because I think he has a lot of potential.

GSP vs Koscheck went pretty much as I expected. I was on the edge of my seat most of the fight with all those punches and takedowns throughout. I'd say GSP demonstrated his superior wrestling/BJJ/striking but Koscheck did a very good job with staying alive and scrambling out at times. Koscheck certainly has a bright future and I think if he learns from it losing to GSP will be a good thing for him down the line.

In Couture vs Gonzaga most of my friends hoped Couture would win but I think I was the only one adamant that he would really earn his victory and not just eek out a decision. It's truly amazing how well he is performing at his age against guys so much younger than him.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah, incredible to see the soon 45-year old throw the bigger, stronger and younger Gonzilla like that.

He also showed the bigfella Ogre Sylvia what skill and experience is all about.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

Bah, the link doesn't work anymore and I can't find a video anywhere else. I wish I'd have watched it, but I was at work. It sounds like one of the better tickets of late.

edit: I tracked the end of the Couture/Gonzaga fight down on youtube, but the first 3/5 were already removed. I couldn't find any of the others though.

I liked how Randy said (something like), "We went down and our heads hit and I felt a crunch. I knew his nose was broken." It certainly looked broken!
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Post by Waran »

Never again will I doubt Couture..

Damn that nose was disgusting hehe

And whee for GSP!
Breagen
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Breagen »

If you can't find the fights on youtube or dailymotion they are usually available on mma-tv.net if you register and poke around.