Evendim patch Wednesday

For those of you with a little Tom Bombadil in you. No bursting into song, please.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Evendim patch Wednesday

Post by Xanupox »

A whole new zone, 100 new quests, epic set armor, new music system, champion class changes.... plus lots more.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Re: Evendim patch Wednesday

Post by Janx »

Wonder how many more shrews/wolves/boars/goblins/orc's you get to kill for deeds =/.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I need to install LoTRO again. I had to wipe my PC clean several weeks ago - with a three year old, a three month old, and a new Xbox 360 that allows me to grab game time in small bursts...I haven't had time to get back to LoTRO. Looks like my prime playing time will be forcing me to miss sleep...like the good ol' days!
WTF
No Stars!

Post by WTF »

patching now!
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Xanupox »

Janx wrote:Wonder how many more shrews/wolves/boars/goblins/orc's you get to kill for deeds =/.
If you played the game beyond level 5 you will see new monsters.

In all fairness though, the Tolkien lore/rules inplaced on the game prohibits them from just coming up with any old crazy ass monster they can think up. The new zone does have 6-7 new races of creatures though, but yes there are repeats of spiders/wolves/bears up in that region as well, which makes sense... its not like the area is fenced off and none of those creatures are allowed to go there.

If you want to hate on something, you can always find something to hate about it I guess. However hating for the purpose of being a "cool hater" kinda went out of style during the last mmo... or do you still play WoW?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I don't think anybody really cares about this game.
This forum has like 20 threads and over half of them are flames and trolls.
It's a nice kids game... like a dumbed down WOW with dull combat. The majority of quests seem to be kill X number of mobs or deliver X item to X NPC. How many fed-ex missions can you do before you want to claw your eyes out?

I'm not surprised you like the game so much Xan. It's embarrassingly simplistic and holds your hand every step of the way. Kinda like how in EQ you could never figure out anything yourself. You were always several months behind the vanguard and had to scrounge your strats from the internet or lurking in IRC. Failing that, you would send spies to see how the top guilds were defeating the encounters that you couldn't beat. Not that you really learned anything from those strats... you just ended up zerging and/or bind rushing a lot of them.

One thing I will give you credit for is the ability to motivate people for such a hopeless cause. I honestly have no idea why so many people would blindly follow such an obvious loser. You really had them guzzling the Xanupox/CT kool-aid. For years you were striving to be a top guild on Veeshan but always finishing second or third.

But I digress.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game.
I'm just curious to see how long it will be before you get bored of it.
It does have a lot more content and polish than the last Turbine game you were slobbering over, but like all their games (except AC), they have very little longevity.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Holy f'ing trolling...wow.

I think you really need to be a fan of Tolkien lore and/or a newcomer to MMO's to appreciate LoTRO. I am a fan of Lord of The Rings. I will say this is a very simple game and it does hold your hand - but the same can be said for EQ now.

When I started EQ in 2000 you had to figure everything out for yourself. Now you get backpacks, great starting quests, maps, tutorials, instant transportation via books in PoK. LoTRO is basically following the lowest common denominator in as much as it is following the trends of other MMO's and making it easy on beginners.

I enjoy the graphics, the cameraderie of friends, the Tolkien lore...that's why I play. It does get more challenging as you level - but I have not seen anything that rivals the days of camping for my Mage epic in EQ...or getting my VT key...or the 6 hour raids - and that can be a good thing.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Xanupox »

As long as Turbine can keep pumping out content every 2 months on this scale, things will be fine in middle earth.

Right now I am in a guild that is on the high end of the progression scale. We have around 20 players that are lvl 49-50 and we run multiple groups thru the instances of Carn Dum and Urugarth everyday. We have yet to completed Carn Dum, simple because we are really limited on playtime and how long it takes to run the full dungeon from start to finish. It has a 2 day save time on the instance for your group, but we usually just go PvP or help others on some class quests on day 2 instead of going back.

So yes, the first content update has come and we have not even finished the first content, close though... that is a good thing though, no burn out.

This last patch adds a 24man raid instance, but we had good success with 2 groups, basically because we farmed the fuck out of the other 2 isntances and have awesome gear and good players.

The game is easy, we can beat bosses with our healer drunk off his ass, so the challenge factor is low in comparrison to the old EQ days... however if you fail you do not experience a catastrophic loss of your time either. So it is give and take and with my limited playtime nowdays and a 1 year old daughter, this is more desireable.

Most of the oldschool EQ players are upper 20s or 30s now anyway and thier playtime I would bet is close to mine. The glory days of staying up to 5am on weekdays are history for most of us. If you find yourself in my boat, then LOTRO is prolly your best bet.

If you have unlimited time, then you may get bored and burnt out... so maybe take a look at whatever else there is on the market instead.
WTF
No Stars!

Post by WTF »

i think it's a cool game

it is no more prone to monotony than any other MMO. i can imagine if you don't really get into Tolkien content that you might not like it. To xan's point as well, that limits the number of mobs that can be in the game.

The more i think about it though, the more i like that. As much as i loved EQ, let's face it the notion of frogloks is just plane fucking stupid. Let alone Luclin..
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

WTF wrote:As much as i loved EQ, let's face it the notion of frogloks is just plane fucking stupid. Let alone Luclin..
Gaklek??!?!! :lol:
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

No sir it is I!! Voronwë!!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Voronwë wrote:No sir it is I!! Voronwë!!
WTF!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--