Post your ideas and problems with the site/board here

Moderator: TheMachine

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

phpBB3 / Portal

Post by Winnow »

Hey dudes,

Have you been following the developments with phpBB3?

The single most important thing to me is the preservation of our past posts. It kinda sucked when we lost a bunch of posts in the last database conversion. Years (maybe decades) from now, peeps will want to read their old posts more than anything. It was a bummer to lose the IGN VV history. The 911 salvaged posts shows how interesting saving the history can be.

After that, having new features and easier ways to do things on the forums is always fun to make things more interesting and/or interactive.

What do you guys think about adding a portal front when a stable version of phpBB3 is released?

Portal info link:

http://www.phpbb3portal.com/

I normally would never start off with any other link than directly to the forums but it looks like this portal front could have enough useful info on it to make it worth checking out. And hopefully it would have mods that don't interfere with post database stability.

I looked briefly for a cash mod but only found an old one from 2003. If someone ever writes a stable mod for phpBB for cash interactivity, it would rock. I still envision playing the VV member stock market, automated gambling for sports type betting, etc. Embedded You Tube videos (doesn't take resources unless you hit play and I can't see them from work either so I'm in the same boat but still like the idea for when I'm at home)

I envision a split window (forum on top with optional chat window on bottom) mod that would allow people to chat live while viewing the forums. As nice as IRC is, most people, including me, won't open it up, but if it's a button click away, with auto member name login, at the bottom of the window, it might spur more live chat which is another way to pass the time at work of get live info on a music choice or something.

Remember, most people have 1-2GB of ram, fast processors and high bandwidth these days. People also are migrating toward larger monitors. I know some still have 14" monitors and think they're fine, but some of us (eventually the majority) have 20-24" screens and can handle larger graphics and windows for this kind of thing. Any way to make interacting with the VV community directly from the forums easier is a good thing (with preservation of the post database being the highest priority). More advanced polls, VV's, integrated video/music options are all beneficial and a natural progression but not at the cost of losing posts.

If another location to backup the VV post database is ever needed or desired, I'll happily provide space for a copy to be stored on one of my internet hosting services.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

The problem last time wasn't due to a database conversion, if I remember correctly. It was, I believe, an issue with database corruption and loss of data, but I could be wrong. As for upgrading to the new version, I've converted a couple of forums from phpBB2 to v3 betas for testing purposes with no issues at all. It shouldn't be an issue if & when the time comes to upgrade.

I have a speedy processor, a big display, lots of memory and a fast connection. I still prefer clean, fast loading pages without a lot of garbage to slow down page rendering. I don't mind graphics (within reason) or in-line video / audio so long as there's an option to turn that shit off :mrgreen:
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

phpbb3 RC1 is now available, we'll probably be upgrading to phpbb3 soon. I can't say for certain if the portal is necessary or not, I'll think about it.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote: I have a speedy processor, a big display, lots of memory and a fast connection. I still prefer clean, fast loading pages without a lot of garbage to slow down page rendering. I don't mind graphics (within reason) or in-line video / audio so long as there's an option to turn that shit off :mrgreen:
I agree that optional stuff is the best way to go about things. I still don't think the embedded you tube/google video mod slows things down that much. It doesn't pre-cache movies before clicking the play button.

If loading up a small video applet is a concern for memory, people need to update that five year old computer. I can understand bloat issues within reason but providing the mod to embed you tube videos isn't one of them.

Usability features like the optional chat window would only work of optional. Samewith VV mods or advanced polling mods. That's more backend stuff that shouldn't slow up page loads. I rarely hear complaints about large images anymore an that's the biggest page loading slow down for me when remotely connected and reading the forums. I still manage to edit images, post, ftp, etc all through RDP so just don't see how any of this slows much up these days.

Sometimes the only way you can try things out is to test them. I posted examples of embedded you tube videos here in phpBB forums for the ops to try out to see if it slowed their computer. I personally didn't see my ram usage budge even a percent.

It's a natural progression. People never liked clicking on a link to view images and the same holds true for videos although with videos, you have the option of hitting a play button and aren't forced to see the movie as you are for embedded images.

I can't see most videos from work either but that doesn't stop me from viewing it as a nice addition to the forums that's relatively easy to implement. When I get home, I still would rather view the video from within the page than open another tab. I'm lazy like that...or maybe just like it that way as I also like it that way for pictures...people like immediate gratification and ease of use. If I made downloading comics too complex, people wouldn't bother. Hell, I even zip them up so people don't have to figure out how to "right click" and save them. From the linux thread, you know I'm a huge fan of things working without effort. The simpler the solution, the larger the audience that will take the time to view the content. If you assume you're dealing with someone who can't program a VCR clock, you're going to be right 80% of the time.

I understand VV Ops time constraints and/or limited interest in doing things. It's a hobby/passion, not a job. Nothing is a "must". ost things are just tiny helpful additions. A shoehorn isn't necessary, but it sure helps if you're forced to wear stupid dress shoes. Tie clips aren't necessary, but having a tie blow around in your face kinda sucks if you must wear a tie, having a tie clip is kinda nice. Stop me anytime. I'm addicted to lame analogies.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

It just comes down to a matter of personal preference. All of that other random shit gets in the way of my perusal of discussion threads. I prefer a clean, minimal interface that doesn't clutter up my browser window with a lot of useless junk - if I want to see a video or listen to a song about Schnappi the little crocodile, I'll follow the link. It has nothing to do with my computer's ability to handle it. It can more than handle anything that's likely to pop up in a Firefox tab. I just don't like the extraneous crap. I'm all for added features for those that want / need / will use them, so long as I can turn the fluff off. Fluff just gets in the way. Of course this is all subject to the whims of this board's admins.

Oh yeah, tie clips are for the same butt pipes enjoy a spiffy pocket protector. :mrgreen:
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

There's a point where being an efficiency nerd is just as bad as being an over-the-top usability nerd. I really don't see how adding an embedded play button for You Tube videos is going to ruin your life even half as much as embedded pictures which are usually larger than the little You Tube embedded window. I very clearly see the logic in avoiding bloat but this isn't one of those times.

And you know, most people don't give "friendly" links as opposed to just pasting the URL into the message even though it's an option so I would assume that only a few people, like me, would use the BBCode to embed You Tube/Google videos.

Anytime that I have to wear a tie, I want a tie clip. The fact that ties are gay in general doesn't make the desire to keep a needless tie out of one's face.

I'd wear pajamas to funerals if I could.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's something to keep an eye on.

I was looking around for an integrated chat box for phpbb and found Ajax Shoutbox which has a phpbb2 and new phpbb3 version.

It puts a customizable chatbox at the bottom of your forum index.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a

A demo of it in action:

http://startrekguide.com/forum/chat.php

Another example at bottom of forum index: (seems to update slower or faster depending on activity 5-60 seconds)

http://badassbassplayers.com/forum/

Link to phpBB 3.x help forums including mods in development:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=49

Here's that Quick Reply mod someone else requested awhile ago:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=544023

can be enabled/disabled according to this:

looks like it's not quite ready for phpBB3 yet but soon.