Vitamin/shake question and more for Kwon, anyone

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Vitamin/shake question and more for Kwon, anyone

Post by Waran »

Since getting back to the gym a month ago, I've lost 23 pounds and still at it. It's amazing what cutting soda, fast food and not eating late night will do to you, combined with regular exercise. ;) Water water water.

What I've been doing is 30 mins of regular cardio previous to lifting, then when focusing on upper body or lower body, changing it up so it doesn't become a routine (i.e. not having a set leg day arm day) and then another 20 mins or so cardio if I still have energy.

My question is, what kind of multivitamin does anyone use? Is it a combination of a few? Or what about shake mix? Is there one you would recommend?

I guess my goal is really more weight loss to get to the appropriate BMI which I've read is another 20 pounds or so from where I'm at now. I think that your suggestion Kwon of the V-Shape body is what I'm really looking for so lats and delts is what I'll be focusing on. My legs can lift enough, what I really want is more mass and weight lift ability in my arms/shoulders/pecs.

Before I started, I had a huge pot belly, but that has significantly decreased since hitting the gym hard. I've gone down three belt notches (not sure about waist size) but still have some of the love handles which I'd love to get rid of. Is there something specific I can do to eliminate those? Crunches? Sit ups?

Thanks for the help! Kwon's and others suggestions and forum really has given great input!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Love handles are often the last piece of fat that will go, just keep burning fat and they will go.

Cardio, morningwalks, coffeine, hydroxycut, ripped fuel etc

As soon as you get them impressive lats you wont think about the lovehandles anymore.

I use Whey protein and creatine at times.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

And yeah, vitamins, use multivitamins.

I use em and C-vitamins as well.

You can't do exercises that remove fat from a special area, you need to burn fat and lower your general bodyfatlvl to be able to see your abs again.

Imagine if it was so easy that you could burn fat just from a specific spot (lets say having gynecomastia aka bitchtits, fat arms, fat legs and what not, but ripped abs, that just aint workin).

You need to lower your general bodyfat lvl and tummy and lovehandles are usually the last to go!

So keep doing your cardio, morningjogs, use caffeine, hydroxycut, ripped fuel, fatburn of your choice and drink water and add asparagus to your diet.

Proteinbased diet with less carbs.

Good luck Waran
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Waran »

Thanks man, great tips :)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

What physique are you after Waran?

The Ryan Reynolds Blade 3-physique or the Jay Cutler-one? :lol:
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Xorian
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Xorian »

I have a question regarding protein and burning fat drinks, are they really effective ? I have been going to the gym quite regulary those last two or three months and after spending most of the time on abs, laterals and back muscle, i am aiming to gaing some muscles for my arms.

I'am not really sure about the prot drinks but i'am not really able to cook for myself as i am in an university far from home for the moment and so im not eating or having that much prots and was wondering if i should go for powder drinks etc.

Hope this post makes sense and that Mr. K can provide a little answer :)

Thanks in advance
Xorian the (sometimes) drunken ench

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black, He's gone so far to find no hope, He's never coming back"
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Of course the added Protein will do something for ya!

I recommend Whey-80!

Use it before AND max 30 mins after a workout! Get one before bed as well but use a Slooower protein for that.

Add creatine for added mass as well. (30 mins after workout)

Gettin' no response on your biceps?

Use a Biceps bomber for starters when doing bicepscurls, it will help you focus on your arms when curling, not leaning forward with your upperbody, using the back etc

Basic movements to begin with for building mass:

Standing barbell curls
Preacher curls
Seated or Standing dumbbell curls

Do isolation curls, concentration curls and cable curls to finish off the bicepsworkout.

-

The most sold Protein in Northern Europa, Whey-80

-

Xorian? Can't cook at all?

I'd like you to eat some lean beef, turkey and chickenbreast as well! Is that possible you think?
Able to purchase cans of eggwhites for omelets?

Not able to cook anything whatsoever?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Xorian
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Xorian »

Yeah i can cook some but not much (not that i dont know how to cook, just lackicng real possibilities) I had read for chicken breast, will try some. Im already eating eggs when i can ;)

I ll try if i can find the one you are recommanding here in UK, im not really into the creatine things as i have heard than it maybe not that good for health and would like to keep the "chemical" apport to proteines.

Was wondering if milk could do before sleeping, as i have read that it cintains good proteins and that they a kind of "slow" ones !

Thanks for your input Kwon, im kinda enjoying going to gym regulary now and wanted to max the effort :)

Will keep asking advices here if you don't mind, i know i can probably find answer online but sometimes it takes longer or im a bit confused about it.
Xorian the (sometimes) drunken ench

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black, He's gone so far to find no hope, He's never coming back"
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Xorian wrote: Will keep asking advices here if you don't mind, i know i can probably find answer online but sometimes it takes longer or im a bit confused about it.
That's what this forum is here for!

I'll help in any way i can!

In a few years, people will freeze in their tracks when you walk on the streets shouting " LATS LIKE A MANTA-RAY!", so you better be ready for it! :D

-

Should be EASY to get Whey-80 in the UK!

I'd recommend eating lean beef, chickenbreast, tunafish, turkey, crabmeat, shrimps, lots of eggs for proteine, broccoli and asparagus and potatoes,rice,pasta for carbs.

Asparagus is great when trying to fatburn as well!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Waran »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:What physique are you after Waran?

The Ryan Reynolds Blade 3-physique or the Jay Cutler-one? :lol:
Hell yeah, Ryan Reynolds Blade 3 body, but I doubt I have that kind of physique in there behind the fat around my waist :P

Definitely not going for anything too extreme, just want to get toned (Which I have already set myself on the right path for so far)

25 pounds gone in a month and counting!
Somali
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: Vitamin/shake question and more for Kwon, anyone

Post by Somali »

So on the note of getting to a "Ryan Reynolds Blade 3 Physique" what exercises would you recommend Kwon?

I've not been active for the last few years and I'm sitting at about 6' and 195lbs with virtually no endurance or strength compared to my younger years. To better clarify that: I doubt I could run a mile in my current condition (slow jog maybe), and I'd be lucky to press 150 with any number of reps.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Interview with Ryan

Ryan Reynolds Workout & Diet

The question has come up a lot, so I'm gonna give you the detailed version. The first time I lifted a barbell for BLADE was the end of July, 2003. I had to be ready to go by mid December, however when we shot the scenes in question it was January, 2004, so, basically, 5 months.

DIET: I ate something pretty much every 2-3 hours, never "stuffing" myself, but never letting myself get hungry. Tons of water throughout the day... BREAKFAST: 1/2 cup egg whites and 2 eggs. Oatmeal - no sugar, a *protein bar 2-3 hours later. (the best oatmeal is this stuff called McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal. It takes about a half hour to cook, but you just make enough to last a couple weeks. add apple sauce and cinnamon to improve the taste.)

LUNCH: chicken and veggies/brown rice. a *protein bar 2-3 hours later.

DINNER: fish or chicken with salad and vegetables. balsamic vinegar for dressing. couple more ** Optimum Whey Protein Shakes throughout the night and right before bed.

TYPICAL DIET:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, some "good" fat like a spoon of almond butter or slice of avocado, and 1 cup of oatmeal with applesauce

Midmorning snack: protein bar

Lunch: albacore tuna wrap or chicken and salad

Mid-afternoon snack: protein shake (whey and water), protein bar, or apple and almonds

Dinner: broiled fish or chicken, brown rice, vegetables, and salad

Evening Snack: protein shake

-

While eating a protein/carb mix every 2 hours all day, I'd wind up having about 8 - 10 "tiny" meals instead of 3 big meals over the course of a day. No carbs at night, but plenty during the day. This kind of diet kept my blood sugar even and gave me the requisite energy needed for the physicality of the role...

"Never do any of that carb-starve crap," Reynolds says. Instead, watch the clock. He ate most of his carbohydrates post-workout, and none after 8 p.m

My trainer (and Jessica Biel's) was a guy named Darren Chapman. He's one of the most inspiring individuals I've ever met. A member of the UK's Olympic bobsled team, he's as adept at the nutritional training as he is the physical training. Also, a great guy that doesn't mind me calling him every swear word ever heard in any language. He showed me how important the process of visualization is. Visualizing the transformation I had to make, I believe was key to making it happen. With this information, I began training as though preparing for the olympics...

Workouts were about 2-3 hours. Generally starting off with around 500 - 1000 sit-ups. Then heavy weights for bulk. I'm a pretty scrawny guy so we cut cardio entirely and just focused on bulking up. Weight training involved a variety of exercises too numerous to mention at reps of about 8-12, for 6 days a week. After the first week I was longing for the sweet release of death, but soon enough got really into it.

I'd work one body part per day, as in: chest day, back day, shoulder day, leg day, with arms mixed in. Don't know what I was benching. I remember it wasn't anything to brag about.

"If you hate your workout, you're not going to do it," explains Reynolds. Customize your fitness plan to meet your needs. He found it "meditative" to do ab exercises first instead of last.

ABS - Lower abs are the hardest muscle to develop. Most males store their fat in the lower abdomen. The trainer had me using one of those exercise balls between my legs, lifting up and down, using my arms to anchor myself. I'd also put a 15 pound dumb-bell between my feet, and do leg raises while lying on the ground, also, any library will have an exercise book filled with illustrations of ab workouts.

Check out lots of great ab exercises here.

SUPPLEMENTS: I gained a lot more muscle mass when I went on creatine," says Reynolds. He also took L-glutamine, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), whey, and a multivitamin.

The main thing I learned about this whole process is how important food is. Transforming your body quickly is a genetic ability, but can also be traumatic. Eating properly is 80% of the equation. Most people think it's the other way around...

I learned that 80% of building muscle is diet. We got the food down to a science, making sure I was getting enough calories to gain mass, but not fat. A lot of oatmeal, eggs, protein bars for snacks, chicken, fish or steak for dinner. I ate a lot of small meals all day long. Lots of protein, but plenty of carbs, too. I really don't believe in that no-carb stuff. It's probably not good for you--and it makes you pretty cranky.

When asked on whether he's maintained his physique, "No way! It was nice to be able to take a break. But just as I'd gotten used to being lazy again and sitting on my ass all day, we had to re-shoot some scenes, so they sent me back into the gym. I'm glad, though, because I ended up finding this nice gray area, where I still work out four or five times a week and enjoy it, but it's not to that extreme level."

-

With Ryan possessing the best abs in the business, in a recent interview in Muscle & Fitness Magazine Ryan's Trainer was quizzed about his great looking six pack:

"RYAN REYNOLDS: It's ridiculous. “Muscle and Fitness” magazine was interviewing our trainer.

JESSICA BIEL: They wanted to do a story on our training. They said, “Well, we're really interested in Jessica but we're just not so sure about Ryan because of the ab implants.”

RYAN REYNOLDS: They thought it was just prosthetics on my stomach!

DAVID GOYER: He's got like an 18-pack instead of a 6-pack.

RYAN REYNOLDS: It's true. They didn't believe it.

JESSICA BIEL: They really thought he had ab implants."

Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Somali
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Somali »

Well no way I can get a 2-3 hour workout in per day. I'd have to give up time with my Munchkin, time at work, or Video game time. haha. I was thinking more like an hour a day.

What would you say are the most productive exercises? In the past I used to Focus on Bench, Dips, Squats/Leg Press, Butterfly, and Leg Curls, Leg Extensions. I also ran a crapload due to sports, so I think that covered my Cardio.
Also, How important are those 500-1k situps? I used to do sets of 300ish, but holy crap was that boring. I'd like to avoid that again if at all possible, but I'll do it if need be.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

1 hour training is enough.

Not everyone have the luxury of a Hollywood-actor trying to get in shape for a movie and can spend 3 hours or more on training. :)

Do all the basic massbuilder exercises aka the Meat n Potatoes.

Deadlifts, Benchpress, Military Press, Squats etc

Full body workout for a year will make you both stronger and beefier.

Then you can work on the peak of the biceps, forearms and shrugs for trapz and whatnot after that.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Sywauja
No Stars!

Post by Sywauja »

I'm just going to add something real quick with diet and carbs. Yes, you definitely do need carbs, but you also want to make sure you're getting the right ones. I'm sure most people know the basics of this. But a plate of spaghetti is not necessarily "good" for you. It really depends on what kind of spaghetti you're eating.

There's 'white' wheat and 'whole' wheat. Most people really aren't used to whole wheat product. I've grown up on them, so I'm fine with them. But many people around me really prefer white. It's sweeter; it's closer to sugar.

There are more details and examples of what consists of complex and simple here.
Many health experts recommend cutting down or eliminating sugar and other simple carbohydrates, and increasing the servings of complex carbohydrates in the diet.

Carbohydrates are necessary to your health, because every cell in your body uses them for energy. In fact, your brain can only use carbohydrates for energy. Unfortunately, over-consumption of sugar and other highly refined carbohydrates has been associated with a higher incidence of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and even breast cancer. According to the World Health Organization, sugars and other simple carbohydrates are a leading factor in the worldwide obesity epidemic.

With the popularity of low-carb diets, many people are afraid to eat any carbohydrates, but it is important to distinguish between the health-robbing effects of simple sugars and other carbs, and the health-giving properties of complex carbohydrates.

Complex carbohydrates are high-fiber foods, which improve your digestion. They help stabilize the blood sugar, keep your energy at an even level, and help you feel satisfied longer after your meal.

In contrast, sugar and other simple carbohydrates can alter your mood, lead to cravings and compulsive eating, cause wide swings in your blood-sugar levels, and cause weight gain in most people. In addition, a high consumption of sugar can lead to uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms when you finally decide to improve your diet and forgo the sweets.
Examples: simple and complex carbohydrates

The healthiest foods are high in fiber, and contain complex carbohydrates along with many other vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. They will also contain other nutrients, such as protein and fats, in moderation. These foods will not be highly refined.

Some examples of healthy foods containing, complex carbohydrates are:
Spinach Whole Barley Grapefruit
Turnip Greens Buckwheat Apples
Lettuce Buckwheat bread Prunes
Water Cress Oat bran bread Apricots, Dried
Zucchini Oatmeal Pears
Asparagus Oat bran cereal Plums
Artichokes Museli Strawberries
Okra Wild rice Oranges
Cabbage Brown rice Yams
Celery Multi-grain bread Carrots
Cucumbers Whole meal spelt bread Potatoes
Dill Pickles Pinto beans Soybeans
Radishes Yogurt, low fat Lentils
Broccoli Skim milk Garbanzo beans
Brussels Sprouts Kidney beans
Eggplant Lentils
Onions Split peas
Tomatoes Soy milk
Cauliflower Navy beans

Simple carbohydrates are more refined, are usually found in foods with fewer nutrients, and tend to be less satisfying and more fattening.

Some examples of foods containing simple carbohydrates are:
Table sugar
Corn syrup
Fruit juice
Candy
Cake
Bread made with white flour
Pasta made with white flour
Soda pop, such as Coke®, Pepsi®, Mountain Dew®, etc.
Candy
All baked goods made with white flour
Most packaged cereals

If you are trying to eliminate simple sugars and carbohydrates from your diet, but you don't want to refer to a list all the time, here are some suggestions:

Read the labels. If the label lists sugar, sucrose, fructose, corn syrup, white or "wheat" flour, they contain simple carbohydrates. If these ingredients are at the top of the list, they may contain mostly simple carbohydrates, and little else. They should be avoided.

Look for foods that have not been highly processed or refined. Choose a piece of fruit instead of fruit juice, which is very high in naturally occurring simple sugars. Choose whole grain breads instead of white bread. Choose whole grain oatmeal instead of packaged cold cereals.

The closer you get to nature, the closer you get to health.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This is what Fankhauser has in his shake.

You also see what he eats. ;)

Not xbox or wii, but Playstation during cardio!

Click Play
http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/con ... /1688/164/
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---