UFC 70: Nations Collide

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

UFC 70: Nations Collide

Post by Kryshade »

The card isn't all that great, but it's gonna be FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing Crocop fight. I think it's great that the UFC broadcasts so much material over cable. A free UFC is a wonderful thing!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

What channel will be airing it? I haven't really followed UFC much since around the time they started with the weight classes/rounds/etc. I never could justify picking up the PPV when it was just for myself to watch. I used to watch them all of the time with friends up in Kansas.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

CC VS Gonzaga will be interesting...

Winner of that fight will meet Randy C.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

What channel will be airing it? I haven't really followed UFC much since around the time they started with the weight classes/rounds/etc. I never could justify picking up the PPV when it was just for myself to watch. I used to watch them all of the time with friends up in Kansas.
Spike TV is the exclusive carrier for all that is UFC. They have a few shows relating to UFC fights. UFC Unleashed is a good collection of past fights and usually airs at least once a week. Also they have The Ultimate Fighter which I really enjoy... each episode ends in a fight with the loser out of the competition. Occasionally they have UFC fight night which is like a mini, live event. Check it out, MMA has quickly become my favorite sport thanks to UFC and Pride being broadcast on cable TV.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

CC VS GONZAGA GONNA ROCK!

Can't wait! :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

I've only ever seen like 3 Crocop fights, so I'm looking forward to this one. Curious how well he can stop the takedown!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Kryshade wrote:I've only ever seen like 3 Crocop fights, so I'm looking forward to this one. Curious how well he can stop the takedown!

He is great at stopping takedowns, he has great takedowndefence, especially good in Pride, since when yer in northsouthposition, you could throw knees to the head.

He stuffed all of Colemans takedowns and treated Nog like a ragdoll in Round 1.

Crocop is very strong, and if you saw the CC VS Fedor match, Fedor couldnt do much when in CC's guard. CC has good defence!

Normally Fedor dominates ANYONE in the guardposition, check his fights against Nog for example.

Even if you manage to take CC down, he will lock you until the judge wants you to stand up.

Right Leg: Hospital
Left Leg: Cemetary

Then again, 2007 have been the year of flukes, Matt "The Terra" Serra, Sokoudjou et al...

Anything can happen in a fight, we all remember Kev "The Monster" Randlemans first fight with CC. Who knew? ;)

NEVER underestimate your opponent.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

I think that's why I like MMA so much. There is always going to be a favored fighter, but when the fight starts you never know whats gonna happen!!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

When is this? (no access to *those* sites from here)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

In 21 hours Nations will Collide. :)

Saturday 2 PM EST

Mirko CroCop vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (99.9 % CC will win!) :D
Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic (The real test for The Count Bisping)
Andrei Arlovski vs. Fabricio Werdum (VERY interesting fight)
David Heath vs. Lyoto Machida (Lyoto will dominate)
Assuerio Silva vs. Cheick Kongo
Matt Grice vs. Terry Etim
Junior Assuncao vs. David Lee
Victor Valimaki vs. Alessio Sakara
Dennis Siver vs. Jess Liaudin
Edilberto Crocota vs. Paul Taylor
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

hmm, I will have to remember to set the DVR when I get home then. I will be at my 10-year-old niece's softball game from 12-3 (if they're done by 3!) :P
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Boogahz wrote:hmm, I will have to remember to set the DVR when I get home then. I will be at my 10-year-old niece's softball game from 12-3 (if they're done by 3!) :P

They'd better! Can't miss Crocops LHK live and direct on Gonzaga ;)
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:
Boogahz wrote:hmm, I will have to remember to set the DVR when I get home then. I will be at my 10-year-old niece's softball game from 12-3 (if they're done by 3!) :P

They'd better! Can't miss Crocops LHK live and direct on Gonzaga ;)
It depends on how much their pitching has improved. It's fast-pitch softball, so picture 9 and 10 year olds doing that funky wind-up pitch...the pitches go wild quite often which results in some LONG innings. Last week, the second inning alone lasted almost 1.5 hours. It's still fun to watch though :)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Get ready for it!

Tonight is when

NATIONS COLLIDE!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

FUCK! :cry:
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I think the only way Crocop was able to walk out on his own was because he was OUT when he went down. If he had tensed his leg at all, I could see it snapping.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Damn....Gonzaga Crocop'd Crocop. He was out cold - Boog is right...if he wouldn't have been out before he hit the floor he would be having surgery tonight.

Bisping was brutal - but I didn't expect much from Sinosic.

Arlovski was boring - snoozefest.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Holy christ that was nasty. Im still not giving up on cro cop eventually becoming the champ, I just think hes going to take the cage a lot more seriously from now on!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Cro Cop got knocked the fuck out. What a great surprise.

The rest of the night was a snoozefest. Everyone who was suppossed to win, won thier fight. There were a lot of lambs being thrown to the wolves in that event.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I am disappointed, I jumped on the CC bandwagon. He should still do well in UFC as will Rampage, but it shows UFC isnt just a weaker Pride.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've followed CC's career from his first match in K-1.

Things like this happens, he took the Randleman-loss well and did a comeback with a vengeance.

Let's hope he will show some of the "old" CC, but maybe it's too late.

He has four more fights on his contract, after that i believe he may retire.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Post by Waran »

I only got to see the Bisping and Arlovski fight before we went to see Hot Fuzz ;)

Was great to see lots of UFC fans watching it at the bar we were at.

Bisping was so dominant and brutal with his attacks and take downs. Once he reversed the guy on top of him, I knew it was all over.

Saw the first two rounds of the Arlovski fight and it was totally boring. Was glad our movie was about to begin so we didn't have to watch anymore. ;)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Arlovski fought a very safe fight but disappointed in Werdum, he should have gone for TD's constantly and put on a grapplingclinic.

Good to see that the Werewolf is back tho.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

That was a spectacular KO!!!!

I was actually worried about Crocop. He went down so hard and didn't budge after that, thought he might have broken his neck! I thought at least his knee/ankle were fucked... glad to see he was walking around in the end. Gonzaga dominated the whole fight. I wonder if perhaps CC's time isn't up?
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

CC said "I have 4 fights left on my contract, and that's it."
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:CC said "I have 4 fights left on my contract, and that's it."
Way to keep ducking Fedor CC! GG!

To think people put him at that level is absurd. He gave Fedor a hell of a fight but just like the Hunt fight he clearly was not the better fighter in the ring. So much for the future UFC heavyweight Champ, he couldn't even step up and get the belt here before the influx of Pride fighters took it from him.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

He also did a more positive interview recently, stating that he now will not underestimate anyone (the UFC-fighters) and will be training elbows now.

At first, he said something like, i fought like shit and i deserved all i got.

I froze etc and so forth, couldn't see the highkick since my eyes got blurry after the elbows etc.

He will take the next fight with a whole new approach.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

I will still be a Cro Cop fan! That was a very lucky shot by a man who knew he was beat. CC got a little cocky and let his guard down trying to set up a kick of his own. I never would have pegged Gonzaga to have that much striking power. Aside from that, the one kick that CC landed was brutal, did you see that bruising setting in just after one shot?
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

CC got shook more by the elbows than he'd imagined.

One would have hoped a pro fighter of his caliber would have expected and prepared for everything,

but i believe he thought he could breeze through the UFC-Heavies without training elbows (defence and offence) since he had managed so well without thinkin about them so far!

Wakeup-call to say the least! :)

He will be back though! With a Vengeance?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

I think he will, you could tell from the begining he wasnt taking ufc seriously. This is the wakeup call he needs.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Sionistic wrote:I think he will, you could tell from the begining he wasnt taking ufc seriously. This is the knockout call he needs.
couldn't resist
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Are they not allowed to use elbows in Pride? I can't understand how anyone could skip preparing for them with the surge of Ortiz-style ground and pounders entering the sport.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

masteen wrote:Are they not allowed to use elbows in Pride? I can't understand how anyone could skip preparing for them with the surge of Ortiz-style ground and pounders entering the sport.
No elbows to the head in pride, only to the body (that's how Rampage finished off Iceman Liddell, with elbows to the body).

With no elbows to the head in Pride, CC could easily defend on his back by holding the opponent's arms and pushing him down, the elbow-treatment in UFC sure was a wakeup-call!

But he said in the latest interview that he be trainin to defend against elbows now :)

What Pride had that UFC didn't have was Stomps, Soccerkicks and Knees to a downed opponent.

For example, north and south-position and then unleashing the knees was a very efficient thing that Mirko CC often used.

Coleman finished off Goes with that particular move, northsouth and then BAM.

Pride-fighters lost a very good tool with knees to downed opponent when they transitioned to UFC, but gained Elbows to the head, which was a good thing for Anderson Silva, but a bad thing for CC.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

But he said in the latest interview that he be trainin to defend against elbows now
A smart fighter would have studied endless hours of tape and worked on defense and offense as it pertains to the rules in the particular sport in which they are fighting. Cro Cop deserved that loss.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Moonwynd wrote:
But he said in the latest interview that he be trainin to defend against elbows now
A smart fighter would have studied endless hours of tape and worked on defense and offense as it pertains to the rules in the particular sport in which they are fighting. Cro Cop deserved that loss.
This is how it went

Clickage
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

That is priceless, Kwon!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Jefferson
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Un-Cart Banalas! :razz:

Jefferson
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Moonwynd wrote:
http://www.mirko-crocop.com/?id=4&solo=70

Crocop: I was lost

Although the KO he suffered looked deadly, Mirko's head doesn't hurt him. But, he is having problems with a swollen right ankle.
"I won't be doing anything for 2 weeks, won't even drink vitamins and proteins. I have to clean up my organism. Full of spite, I wanted to train the same evening I got back to Croatia, but I know it would be contraproductive", Mirko says.
He is feeling guilty for letting down his fans, especially those who came to Manchester to support him. And he doesn't care about those who took pleasure in his calvary.
"I don't have to justify myself to anyone. Besides being an amateur boxer for 2 years, thus being paid trips to a few tournaments, the country's sport system didn't invest in me. I am my own investment."
He doesn't have an excuse for his bad performance. He can't even explain what happened to him. Although, he can manage to describe the state he was in.
"I don't have an alibi. It happens in cycles to me. It looks like I blew myself out after winning the Pride OWGP belt. I wasn't happy even with my first UFC performance. This time I also didn't decide to engage an exchange of punches. I didn't have warrior spirit in me. I was lost."
He adds that besides no initiative, he also didn't have a strategy.
"All of that didn't have anything to do with the quality of my preparations and the shape I was in, but it had to do with my focus on the fight and my opponent. Before the fight I was nervous, I was thinking about all sorts of stupid things, I was just in a bad state. Unfortunately, I seem to be that type. I need a rough wake-up call in order to focus again."
He says he didn't even see the high-kick:
"After 3 or 4 elbows to the temple, I had blurry vision when I stood up."
Mirko is announcing changes in his training session. He is going to introduce elbows and elbow defence, which wasn't present in Pride.
"I'm not used to elbows, but that's my problem. I'm also going to do exercises for my injured ankles."

Source: http://www.vecernji.hr/newsroom/sports/ ... 7/index.do
Translated by mislav coric
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I'd beat all these chumps using only my pinky 8)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote:I'd beat all these chumps using only my pinky 8)
Could ya beat me tho Nicky McGee? :razz:
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I've been doing a lot of weights recently, I think I could 8)

Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nice photoshop Nick ;)

If you had added more lighting on your face it'd be credible though!

Was the original Markus Rühl?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

No idea, I just picked the most ridiculous looking one I could find quickly :P
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote:No idea, I just picked the most ridiculous looking one I could find quickly :P
Well, i'm almost 100 % sure that it's Markus Ruhl judging by the deltoids.

I may be wrong though but i do not think so! I'd say it's definately Markus Rühl!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---