This game isn't very good

For those of you with a little Tom Bombadil in you. No bursting into song, please.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This game isn't very good

Post by kyoukan »

Why would anyone pay for this when there are so many other mmorpg's around that aren't another shitty turbine festival of generic crap? I'm not really trolling here, but after playing this for like 4 hours, I utterly fail to see a single aspect of the game that isn't done much better somewhere else. Everything I've seen so far has been fetch quests and open fields filled with a bunch of generic fantasy mmorpg creatures wandering around.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Sounds like a WIN / WIN. You don't have to play this awful game and we don't have to deal with your awful attitude in-game.

kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

haha, like I'd play with your gimp ass. I'd actually want to succeed.

So based on responses so far, is it safe to say that only faggots and losers like this game?
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I'm a loser I guess.

Oh well, I love Middle Earth.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Well Kyo, lot of people choose different franchises and games depending on the setting and scenery.

There are loads of people liking the Lord of The Rings and Middle-earth, thus the desire to try such a game over a random fantasy_game.

Those who liked the Conan-mythos more will probably try Age of Conan instead of LoTR.

Some prefer oriental fantasy etc and so forth

For someone who just likes fantasy, i'm not 100 % sure what to recommend, what is the best fantasy game out there right now, regardless of setting/world?

Feels like it's either WoW, EQ2 or Vanguard these days?

If i have to choose from two fantasy-games with exact the same gameplay and graphics, but one is set in a world i enjoy more, lets say the Warhammerworld, it's of course a higher chance that i will try the latter.

There were lot of people playing the Star Wars MMORPG mainly because of the setting (they liked Star Wars), while there may have been lots of better MMORPGs out there.

Kyo, are you saying this game is heaps worse than the other fantasy-games?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

edit: deleted to appease to shitheads who ran crying to the mods
Last edited by miir on April 20, 2007, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I fixed my issue with graphics flickering and texture stretching.

Turns out I had to actually underclock my nvidia card. WTG Turbine.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

Wow fast paced? lol. The only thing fast about WoW is the kids who try to circle straffe you while waiting for the next auto attack to land. WoW is the lowest of all in terms of what you can do in combat, it is crippled by the fact most classes in WoW have 3 spells they use and thats about it.

LOTRO is way more advanced than you mention. Obvioulsy your experiece has been limited to the low levels of your characters played and the newbie zones you have played in.

I have played level 50 characters in LOTRO in raids. The guardian class was my primary character and I had 18 distinct abilites, all of which were needed during combat. When you are in a group, you have to understand the fellowship combat system. You get around 80 comboes that the fellowship can perform on mobs as a unit. Dots, Heals, DD, Energy Heals, etc. On some of the endgame bosses, if you screw up a fellowship combo you will probably lose the encounter. So it takes coordination and knowledge... not just flopping your jewels out on the keyboard and playing it with your balls.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

edit: deleted to appease to shitheads who ran crying to the mods
Last edited by miir on April 20, 2007, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Shouldn't have to wait until 50 to get a decent number of skills.

And 3 spells? hah, you're too much of a retard to waste posting on.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Mr Bacon wrote:And 3 spells? hah, you're too much of a retard to waste posting on.
My shadowpriest uses SW:P, MB, and MF with the most frequency, and 95%+ of my casting goes into those three plus VT and VE. Three spells isn't that much of an exaggeration for some.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Mr Bacon wrote:Shouldn't have to wait until 50 to get a decent number of skills.
Could you please name a class in WoW that uses more than three skills consistently during combat below level 15?
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

While I am here posting farm, I will add that I am enjoying the game. I played a champion, a minstrel, and guardian to level 15; the guardian seems to be my favorite for some reason.

However, I am not entirely sure if I will buy the game at release as I am far too casual right now to support another MMO.
Nali
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Nali »

I didn't enjoy the game in closed beta, either. I decided to give it another try on the World Tour... still boring, though! It is so bland and uninspiring. It's D&D Online, with a new coat of paint :P
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

archeiron wrote:While I am here posting farm, I will add that I am enjoying the game. I played a champion, a minstrel, and guardian to level 15; the guardian seems to be my favorite for some reason.

However, I am not entirely sure if I will buy the game at release as I am far too casual right now to support another MMO.
But how many buttons do you have to press!?!?!?!?
I can't judge the relative worth of an MMO until I get this vital information.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Tuddi2
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tuddi2 »

archeiron wrote:
Mr Bacon wrote:Shouldn't have to wait until 50 to get a decent number of skills.
Could you please name a class in WoW that uses more than three skills consistently during combat below level 15?
shaman

searing totem stoneskin totem, lighting shield, lighting bolt, earth shock flame shock
Lisandre
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Lisandre »

archeiron wrote:
Mr Bacon wrote:And 3 spells? hah, you're too much of a retard to waste posting on.
My shadowpriest uses SW:P, MB, and MF with the most frequency, and 95%+ of my casting goes into those three plus VT and VE. Three spells isn't that much of an exaggeration for some.
In arenas, I use a lot more than just those spells on my SP. Fear, Silence, SW:D, PW:S, dispel magic, and depending on who we're fighting, mana burn, renews, PoM, and the occasional Flash Heal. On raid bosses, yeah, it usually just comes down to refreshing VT,SW:P, and VE, then MF/MB with some SW:D thrown in. But, overall, the class/spec is pretty flexible.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: This game isn't very good

Post by Zaelath »

Yeah.... spell selection, that's all I look at in a game. The more buttons I have to press, and the more whack-a-mole reaction type buttons, the better! *cough*

Anyway, rubbish comparisons aside, I was looking at some screen shots... is LOTRO just a licenced WoW engine? Or did they just completely rip off the design?
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

hrm, lotro is nothing like WoW visually minus UI similarities.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Trias wrote:hrm, lotro is nothing like WoW visually minus UI similarities.
Sorry yeah, I think the art in LOTR is much better.. not that WoW is bad. But the UI looks like it was lifted as a whole and dumped on top.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm having fun.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Great game except sometimes it has absolutely no draw to get me to play the next day.

I played to 30, got to a spot I felt I needed to for the main quest. That was about 2.5-3 weeks ago, and I haven't logged on since. This isn't the first major break I've taken in less than 2 months playing this game.
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

I agree about the lack of a "draw" to keep coming back. I believe it's because I haven't found a particular goal that I'm looking forward to. An item, a level, an ability, or access to a zone could each be something to really work for. The game is fun and good enough to keep me coming back, but I don't find myself yearning to log on like I have with MMOs in the past.