Character names

For those of you with a little Tom Bombadil in you. No bursting into song, please.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Character names

Post by Kaldaur »

Please post your char names in this thread. Include alts after your primary. I will update this thread so we can get a comprehensive list going. Also, Boogahz, let Mid, Moonwynd, or I know when you guys are starting that kinship. We were talking, and we think it'd be great to consolidate all of us under one banner. I've also got a friend who is playing who would like to join us.
Anyway, character names!

Kaldaur(Kaldaur)- Dwarf Champion Alts- Feoni
Moonwynd(Moonwynd)- Elf Lore-master
Isiliador(Midnyte)-Champion Alts- Midnyte
Christian(archeiron) - Champion Alts-Kheldar - Burglar
Corborn(Boogahz)-Elf Hunter Alts- Boog - Man Minstrel, Boogski - Hobbit Burglar, Boogadan - Elf Lore-Master
Rebennack(Chmee) -Minstrel Alts- Burock - Guardian
Xouqoa(Xouqoa)- Llanwynna and Aedari.
Winnow(Winnow)
Last edited by Kaldaur on April 12, 2007, 10:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Moonwynd - Elf Lore-master

I am going to tinker with a few other classes once I cap out here later today.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Isiliador - Level 14 Champion

Once I hit level 15, I'll move on to Midnyte the Minstrel or Daellyn the Hunter. I might even try out tradeskilling, but I rarely have the patience for it.
Last edited by Midnyte_Ragebringer on April 3, 2007, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Duergar - Minstrel Actually played (lvl 10 so far)
Errand - Lore-Master Actually played (lvl 7 so far)
Vassily - Hunter Actually played (lvl 5 so far)
Kheldar - Burglar
Catherine - Captain
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Voro - lvl 12 champion, but i probably am not going to purchase a sub, just wanted to take a peak at the game.

'go grab 5 blackberries'

'kill 12 insects'

that kind of shit doesnt really do it for me. At least through level 12 there wasn't anything that i came across that encouraged multiplayer interaction, but it is obviously the beta still.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Group quests seemed to really start kicking in at around 17+ iirc. If you aren't a fan of the kill x mob type quests, try more Bree-land quests. I swear one had me running back and forth between two to three npcs at least 8 times in closed beta. There were stories that went with all of the quests, but I gave up after going back and forth a few times.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

yeah that is less fun to me ;-)

i went over to the Shire and got the deliver the mail to Michel Delving quest....which was not really that interesting then gated back to whatever elf town i hung out in.

not to derail the names thread though =)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Not sure which character I will make my "main" yet. I have the following already created which I will probably level in this order:

Corborn - Elf Hunter
Boog - Man Minstrel
Boogski - Hobbit Burglar
Boogadan - Elf Lore-Master (will probably delete this one and start my Dwarf Guardian back up)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Downloading this now. Will check it out tonight now that it's open beta.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

It looks neat but I don't see anything more compelling about it than any other mmo at the moment. I am playing open beta for a bit as Llanwynna and Xouqoa and Aedari.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

If anyone wants Kinship invites on Landroval, just let me know which character you want in with. It doesn't matter if you're planning on playing after release or not really. We have quite a few people with knowledge of the game so far :)
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Chmee »

I am on Landroval, two characters at the moment.

Rebennack - Minstrel
Burock - Guardian

been having fun so far.
No nation was ever ruined by trade.

– Benjamin Franklin
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I like that the game automatically makes use of the G15's LCD screen with Morale/Power/Mood/Location.

The little movies you can play for race and class to help decide during character creation are a nice touch.

Character models are a little disappointing but the environments are well done.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

There is a lot of character development for those at level 15.

The Deed/Trait system is genious for making the grind not so much of a grind. Examples if you are unaware are the simple area kill type deeds. The first time you kill certain creature in certain zones, you will get a notification that if you kill X amount more you will get a special 'title", such as "Spider-Foe", "Goblin Flayer" or "Warg Bane" etc. Once you have killed the number required for the title, you will get a 2nd notification stating that if you continue to kill X amount more of those creatures you get the 'advanced' slayer award. These advanced awards are trait increases which you can apply onto your character.

Bards in the game manage the trait system they are usually in the larger cities.

At level 15 you can have 3 virtue, 1 race and 1 class trait active. Level 50 you can have 5 of each plus 2 legendary traits.

Traits accumulate as well, so if you see things that offer a trait such as Valor +1, that means once you complete that advanced deed your Valor trait increases by 1, from whatever it was before. Right now I think you can get Valor up to +4 due to limitation of the level cap and what can be killed.

Just an example, if you applied level 4 Valor as a Virtue trait, you gain over 120 morale, gain armor and adds to regen I believe. (not in game right now for exact numbers).

Just passing this along, as some FYI for those of you who think you have done it all just by leveling to 15 in 2 or 3 days and are bored waiting for retail.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

edit: deleted to appease to shitheads who ran crying to the mods
Last edited by miir on April 20, 2007, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Last edited by miir on April 20, 2007, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Xanupox »

miir wrote: The trait system is nice but the bonuses are subtle to the point of being virtually worthless..
You are off a bit there. Initially they are weak sauce, a single +1 trait is nothing but once you start accumulating them (they stack), then the traits begin to shine. The character development is subtle but strong.

My Guardian has Valor +4 for example, only limited because of the level cap. I am not sure how high it can be raised.

You choose the stats you want to raise for a reason. Accuracy/Hitting Power/Damage Mitigation/Health Pool, etc. You gather the gear that complements your stat build, then you compliment your gear with the traits that go along with it. Top it off with some food/drink that yet further increases the stats you are aiming for and you can really separate yourself from other players who just ignore these things.

Just an example, I play a Guardian and am level 15. I have 1,190 hp and 690 armor because I have focused on Vitality/Armor items/traits. Other guardians that I group with and see around the game have an average of around 800 hp/500 armor. I have almost a 3rd more HP than them!

You have to look deep in LOTRO to find everything you need, but it is there.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: The environments look better in screenshots, IMO... and the character models don't really seem to mesh well with the environments. It kinda feels like you're controlling an avatar that's floating across a painting. I mean, there's little to no interaction with the environment.
Did you turn on AA? 1920X1200 with 4X AA turned on looks great to me and makes a big differences with the jaggies. The environments are well done. I agree that the characters don't "flow" as well in their surroundings as some other games and I'm not entirely happy with the camera views/options available.

Mosty, I think the character models aren't up to snuff. The rest of the game shows potential but I haven't had a chance to play enough.

Being able to jump in the game is great. I missed jumping up and down just for the hell of it in GW. I did it all the time in EQ...and after playing City of Villains (and Crackdown) and having super jumping abilities, you've got to at least have a mini jump available in games after that!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Last edited by miir on April 20, 2007, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

I have about 120 hp from traits and 150 from items at this point. I do have around 300 more hp than other champs.
As for the longevity of the game, the basic idea so far is to design new content that unlocks the world as we go. So after a set time, Moria opens, then mirkwood, then rohan, gondor, mordor, etc. It's an interesting way to release content. I was dismayed at first because 90% of the world is closed off, but this new release of content will guarantee that many players stick around.

Asheron's Call was Turbine's achievement. That game was stellar, despite the hacking and bugs. They set the standard for releasing content. The only problem afterwards was AC2 and DDO. I am hoping they take more of an AC approach rather than the latter games in regards to content. Regardless, I am having a very good time playing. I trekked over to Rivendell yesterday and had a blast partying there.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:I'm confident that Turbine will be consistent in pumping out the content and I hope they aren't too handcuffed by the IP limitations.
North American IP Blocking was removed as of 03/27:
Hello everyone,

Throughout the Alpha and Beta phases of development, we have worked hard to satisfy the enthusiastic community that has risen up in support of LOTRO. We listened to and incorporated your ideas many times throughout development and our game is now stronger for it. As we prepare for launch we wanted to let you know that your feedback still matters. We have been listening and will continue to do so in the future.

Recently, some players expressed their concern about our plans to implement IP blocking. After listening to our fans, we have decided to remove IP blocking in North America.

However, we strongly encourage players to purchase and play the game in their region to receive the best game experience, connectivity and local customer support. Please note that regional clients are only operable with their respective regional services.

In closing, we would like to thank the players for your feedback. Your honest input has been invaluable to us throughout development. We are always listening to your feedback.

Enjoy Middle-earth!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote:North American IP Blocking was removed as of 03/27:
What the hell does IP blocking have to do with the ongoing development of content for the game?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:
Boogahz wrote:North American IP Blocking was removed as of 03/27:
What the hell does IP blocking have to do with the ongoing development of content for the game?
Um, did you read the sentence I quoted? If not, here it is again, this time I will bold the part you apparently missed after you typed it the first time.
miir wrote:I'm confident that Turbine will be consistent in pumping out the content and I hope they aren't too handcuffed by the IP limitations.
IP blocking was actually a major issue being discussed during development, and that's why I assumed it was the "IP" you were referring to rather than Intellectual Property. get it?
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

miir wrote:
Did you turn on AA? 1920X1200 with 4X AA turned on looks great to me and makes a big differences with the jaggies. The environments are well done. I agree that the characters don't "flow" as well in their surroundings as some other games and I'm not entirely happy with the camera views/options available.
You misinterpreted my comments.
What I meant is that the environments look nice, but they seem too static and don't really feel alive. Like a painting or a photograph. Something that looks breathtaking from a distance starts to look really really awful as you get closer.
I have noticed that the trees and ground cover sway in the wind, the water flows realistically in rivers, weather changes with time, the sun rises and sets, stars that twinkle at night, local fauna are present in all regions including deer rabbits and squirrels, environmental features cast shadows, and that there are incredibly high resolution textures available for those whose computers can handle it.

What more is required to meet the minimum bar for dynamic realism?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

archeiron wrote:
miir wrote:
You misinterpreted my comments.
What I meant is that the environments look nice, but they seem too static and don't really feel alive. Like a painting or a photograph. Something that looks breathtaking from a distance starts to look really really awful as you get closer.
I have noticed that the trees and ground cover sway in the wind, the water flows realistically in rivers, weather changes with time, the sun rises and sets, stars that twinkle at night, local fauna are present in all regions including deer rabbits and squirrels, environmental features cast shadows, and that there are incredibly high resolution textures available for those whose computers can handle it.

What more is required to meet the minimum bar for dynamic realism?
Don't bother Arch. Miir has a blind hatred for this game for some reason. He even had to come ruin the character names thread with his nonsense.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

IP blocking not a major issue? Just ask Drolgin or Kwon, they would have been denied the pleasure of joining us on Veeshan had Everquest implemented such a plan. I have a few Euros I know who have joined me in LOTRO, I'm glad IP blocking was removed.
As for the intellectual property, I'd rather look at it as a potential bonus. People are playing this game not because it is vastly different from other MMOs. In that regard, it is more of the same. People are playing it because they are in Tolkien's world. This is the place we all grew up reading about and dreaming about. This is the place that Peter Jackson brought to life on the big screen. And now we have a chance to walk around in it. That's the big pull for a game like this. We are going to experience Middle Earth right at our computer screens.
The bind they find themselves in is good. That means that everything they produce will be true to the books. I walked through the Old Forest and found Tom Bombadil. Just a small encounter; he didn't give a quest or anything. But it was such a big moment for me, because I, like the hobbits, had trekked through the Old Forest to find one of the Great Men.
Even if it takes Turbine a little longer to design content because they have to stay true to Tolkien's Vision, I'm much more in favor of that than another Random_Raid_Zone_947 like Everquest pumps out these days. Give me content I know and love and relish traveling to as opposed to more generic crap just for the sake of content.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Is that party working ok together? :D

Do you have any heals?

Kaldaur the Champion
Moonwynd the Lore-master
Isiliador the Champion
Duergar the Minstrel
Corborn the Hunter
Rebennack the Minstrel

Can Minstrels or LoreMasters heal? Who's tanking? :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

I am the only tank you'll ever need Kwon. Fear my dwarven abilities at taking lots of damage and having virtually no mitigation!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kaldaur wrote:I am the only tank you'll ever need Kwon. Fear my dwarven abilities at taking lots of damage and having virtually no mitigation!
Picard looks more like an orc!

I would have played a dwarf but there were no female versions in the game. I ended up with a female human champion. I'm still level one though. Busy week here so I can't play much until next week to check things out.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Is that party working ok together? :D

Do you have any heals?

Kaldaur the Champion
Moonwynd the Lore-master
Isiliador the Champion
Duergar the Minstrel
Corborn the Hunter
Rebennack the Minstrel

Can Minstrels or LoreMasters heal? Who's tanking? :D
There are others in the kinship as well. Gud (Guardian) is a RL friend of over 18 years.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote: There are others in the kinship as well. Gud (Guardian) is a RL friend of over 18 years.
I don't care if he's old enough to watch a porno. Can he heal man!!

Winnow is my character in LOTR. I have freckles!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:
Boogahz wrote: There are others in the kinship as well. Gud (Guardian) is a RL friend of over 18 years.
I don't care if he's old enough to watch a porno. Can he heal man!!

Winnow is my character in LOTR. I have freckles!
As mentioned above, Minstrels are the healers. Guardians are pure tanks. I've watched for a few of you when I have been logged in to shoot an invite as well.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If I log on tonight I'll look for Corborn and send a tell.

In some games you can invite while offline. I don't like that GW won't store messages for offline players. SL solved that by allowing PMs to be sent to the email address of offline players and also allowing offline players to respond via email to a PM.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

archeiron wrote:Duergar - Minstrel Actually played (lvl 10 so far)
Errand - Lore-Master Actually played (lvl 7 so far)
Vassily - Hunter Actually played (lvl 5 so far)
Kheldar - Burglar
Catherine - Captain
Update:
Christian - Champion Actually played (lvl 13 so far)
Kheldar - Burglar Actually played (lvl 7 so far)
Duergar - Minstrel to be rerolled to be death free - got trained at level 11 :(
Errand - DELETED - not impressed with this class
Catherine - DELETED - didn't look good enough in a swimsuit, so she was voted off the island
Vassily - DELETED - might reroll to be death free - not sure I enjoyed the class
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Kaldaur wrote:I am the only tank you'll ever need Kwon. Fear my dwarven abilities at taking lots of damage and having virtually no mitigation!
Didnt think Champs COULD tank at the higher lvls :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Haha no. My fervour ability makes it so I can't block, evade, or parry. But such is the price you pay for 15% increase to offense. I kill even con enemies in about 6 1/2 seconds. So I'm not complaining :)
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Well, I am a level 15 Lore-Master. I do have a heal that actually transfers my morale (hp) to others. It is not the best heal at 15...but I have saved many a friend this way while my pet was being eaten alive.

The other night, Gud (the Kinship leader) and I were battling some nasties in the level 20ish range. My pet died and both Gud and I were close to dying from adds...I knew I was a goner...but no sense in having both of us die...so I transfered what little remaining morale I had and healed Gud. That's fun stuff.

Back to character names -

It took me forever to come up with a surname that I liked. I know Moonwynd isn't exactly a Tolkien-ish name (but it does seem to fit for an Elf in some way). So now my full name at the moment is:

Moonwynd Istnathron, Journeyman Scholar. Ist= Sindarin word for "lore" and Nathron= Sindarin word for "weaver".

I am really enjoying the game thus far. I know it is new and there is a lot to see - but the people I am playing with are great folks and I look forward to playing with them for many moons to come.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I am Rhys, currently a lvl 13 Champion.

I've reserved some other names, but haven't played any of them yet.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

So, are the battle/fight-animations smooth?

Do the enemies seem like they get hit when you attack them or are there just damage numbers?

Are there any ways to affect fighting such as knockdown?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

re-rolling on landroval...i'm a sucker!!!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Is it fun?

Gimme a good review!

Does it blow EQ2 and Vanguard out of the water? :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Honestly, Kwon, no. It's similar to just about every MMO out there. The hook, line, and sinker is that it's Middle Earth :)
I look at it as a cross between WoW and EQ2, with a smattering of guild wars tossed in.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I understand the Middle-Earth hook,line n sinker, just wonderin if it had some special functions no other fantasy MMORPG had. ;)

Animations are fluid and it looks like you really make an impact when you hit?

I wanna see "BAM" and the opponents falls over.

"POW" and a knockdown etc

Decapitations! Severed limbs etc! Or should i wait for Age of Conan? :twisted:
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Xanupox »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:So, are the battle/fight-animations smooth?

Do the enemies seem like they get hit when you attack them or are there just damage numbers?

If you are looking for a mad combat system MMO, then this would be the one to wait for... never seen anything like this.

http://community.godsandheroes.com/imag ... emo01.html
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Xanupox wrote:
Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:So, are the battle/fight-animations smooth?

If you are looking for a mad combat system MMO, then this would be the one to wait for... never seen anything like this.

http://community.godsandheroes.com/imag ... emo01.html
OMG XANU!

Now THAT's a combatsystem worth waiting for!

Rearnaked chokes,back suplex,knockdowns, impaling! LOL

More than i could ask for!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---