Greatest Other Game Ever

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

What is the greatest Other game of all time?

Poll ended at April 2, 2007, 11:53 am

Archon
7%
Civilization
28%
Day of the Tentacle
2%
Fallout
9%
Grim Fandango
4%
Jet Moto
2%
Kings Quest
11%
Leather Goddesses of Phobos
No votes
Lemmings
No votes
Lumines
2%
Maniac Mansion
2%
Master of Orion 2
No votes
Monkey Island 2
No votes
Myst
No votes
Nethack
2%
Return Fire
No votes
Sim City
2%
Starflight
No votes
Star Tropics
2%
Tetris
17%
The Dig
2%
The Incredible Machine
2%
Total War
4%
Zork
No votes

Total votes: 46

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Greatest Other Game Ever

Post by Sylvus »

Okay, sorry for the long delay. I went on vacation in the middle of my poll-making. Last poll, will keep open for a few days, then the final battle between all the winners. This list comes directly from the nomination thread, don't shoot the messenger!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

bumping. because i can.

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

more votes for maniac mansion please!
Fuck Michigan!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I voted for King's Quest because it was my first PC game ever. In EVGA. On a PC Jr!
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Graphic adventures dominate the list, and yet game manufacturers say that graphic adventures are a dead genre.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Truant wrote:Graphic adventures dominate the list, and yet game manufacturers say that graphic adventures are a dead genre.
How many of them are still played regularly?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

How many of them came out in the last 10 years?

Make a new one, then we'll see if people play it.

Go Blue!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Boogahz wrote:
Truant wrote:Graphic adventures dominate the list, and yet game manufacturers say that graphic adventures are a dead genre.
Well, look at the new Sam & Max episode 1, its been getting pretty good reviews, and Episode 4 are on the top 5 most played on Gametap, only passed by Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri, Frogger, Myst Only - Uru Live :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Hesten wrote:
Boogahz wrote:
Well, look at the new Sam & Max episode 1, its been getting pretty good reviews, and Episode 4 are on the top 5 most played on Gametap, only passed by Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri, Frogger, Myst Only - Uru Live :)
Myst is the only one on the list though. Alpha Centauri was the "space" civ, right? I think I remember being involved in testing that one a while (8+ years ago).
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are 2 fairly recent, and quite successful adventure games.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I enjoyed Dreamfall although the UI could have been better and in some parts the dialog went on forever, having to click through it all.

I like graphic/text adventures. I'd like to see another attempt at a game that lets you make choices similar to those old kids books that had you "turn to page xx if yes/story direction 1, page yy if no/story direction 2.

People seem to like working with faction type situations where you have some control over things. (Dorfs/Giants in EQ) I loved killing thousands of frogs in Lower Guk to get my faction up for the WE Illusion!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Boogahz wrote:
I still own copies of, and regularly reinstall and play:
the entire Monkey Island series (played last week while sick over spring break)
the Indiana Jones series
several other Lucas Arts games (Maniac Mansion, Zak McKraken, etc.)
the Sierra collections for King's Quest, Space Quest, and Quest for Glory.

Maybe I'm the only one. But I loved these games as a kid, and i still enjoy replaying these games.

There was supposed to have been a 5th and final Monkey Island game, that despite massive fan interest/support LucasArts has put on hold indefinately (last report was "We'll consider it after 2010").
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

noel wrote:I voted for King's Quest because it was my first PC game ever. In EVGA. On a PC Jr!

I loved all the Sierra Quest games, Space Quest was fun.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You might want to check out Runaway 2: Dream of the Turtle if you like Adventure type games in the Kings Quest/Monkey Island type mold:

http://www.runaway-thegame.com/runaway2.php

Looks corny but could provide some entertainment.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Boogahz wrote:
Hesten wrote:
Boogahz wrote:
Myst is the only one on the list though. Alpha Centauri was the "space" civ, right? I think I remember being involved in testing that one a while (8+ years ago).
Hehe, i meant that Sam & Max, which is an adventure game, is on top 4 on the most popular list on Gametap :). And the other parts were also on the top 5 list after they came out :).
I never liked Myst and dont regard it as an adventure game, more as a "look at the pretty world you walk around in and maybe something happens" game :). But yeah, still mean that 2 of the top 3 games on Gametap are adventures :)

And yeah, i own almost all the lucasarts adventures as originals (only got up from Loom on PC, but bought Maniac Mansion on the C64 too :)), and i replayed Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle lately, and plan to do the rest too :)
Still great replay value due to the games being quality and relying on story, not graphic gimmicks that mean most games today arent interesting in a year :)

And i downloaded the 2 Runway games, havent had time to see if theyre worth buying yet :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I was just commenting on how I really didn't think many of the games on the list that fit that genre were really played that often anymore. I was not inferring that the genre was indeed dead. I was just wondering which of the graphic adventures which dominated the list were still played regularly.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Hesten wrote:
Boogahz wrote:
Sam & Max Episode 1 was on a few Top 10 games of 2006 lists (NYTimes, IGN, Yahoo Games called it "one of best games of year")

i think that is pretty stellar in the biggest console year ever, with 2 launches and XBox 360 in full swing.

I haven't played Ep's 4 & 5 yet, but they have gotten great revues, on par with Episode 1.