Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Re: Watchmen

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Aslanna wrote:The first trailer was better. The Smashing Pumpkins song just fit it well. I didn't find the latest one all that exciting.
I agree. I got chills when i saw the first trailer in the theater. It just felt so massively epic.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

2 new trailers. I think this movie is looking great so far.

Here's a comicon youtube, with unusually good quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szwxElvYzMg&fmt=18

This is off another site and has the Smashing Pumpkins song. It's best to let the whole thing load. (or maybe it's just slow tonight)

http://movies.sky.com/world-exclusive-b ... en-trailer
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFyrnxll ... re=related

Here's another with footage that wasn't in either of the above links. This one also used the Pumpkin's song.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Lol, great, they have Dollar Bills death in it. Thatll teach them stupid superheroes to not use capes.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Hesten wrote:Lol, great, they have Dollar Bills death in it. Thatll teach them stupid superheroes to not use capes.
They stole that from The Incredibles!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

omg they totally did!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Hesten wrote:Lol, great, they have Dollar Bills death in it. Thatll teach them stupid superheroes to not use capes.
They stole that from The Incredibles!
Nope, Incredibles stole it from Watchmen.
"There was Dollar Bill, originally a star college athlete from Kansas who was actually emplyed as an in-house super-hero by one of the major national banks, when they realized that the masked man fad made being able to brag about having a hero of your own to protect your customer's money a very interesting publicity prospect. Dollar Bill was one of the nicest and most straightforward men I have ever met, and the fact that he died so tragically young is something that still upsets me whenever I think about it. While attempting to stop a raid upon one of his employer's banks, his cloak became entangled in the bank's revolvig door and hewas shot dead at point-blank range before he could free it. Designers employed by the bank had designed his costume for maximum policity appeal. If he'd designed it himself he might have left out that damned stupid cloak and still be alive today."

There you go, the full story of Dollar Bill, and where Incredibles stole from/put homage to Watchmen :)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Going out on a limb and saying Fair was probably laying on the sarcasm a bit. Obviously Watchmen came before Incredibles!

--
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

$5 says that Alan Moore thinks they stole the idea, and that it wasn't a reference.

I am considering not watching any more trailers because of how excited they make me for this movie. I do not want to be disappointed.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:Going out on a limb and saying Fair was probably laying on the sarcasm a bit. Obviously Watchmen came before Incredibles!
We have a winner :P

I'm curious why Hesten had to correct me, but let Aslanna's follow-up sarcasam slide?!?
Aardor wrote:$5 says that Alan Moore thinks they stole the idea, and that it wasn't a reference.
Yeah, as soon as Moore admits that he stole the entire ending from an Outer Limits episode called "The Architects of Fear" from the fucking 1960's! When I read the graphic novel, that was the first thing I thought of. It's pretty much the exact same thing. Hell, it is the exact same thing.

Btw, The Outer Limits complete boxed set will be on sale at best Buy this weekend for 30$. That's almost 50 hrs of classic sci-fi television!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Going out on a limb and saying Fair was probably laying on the sarcasm a bit. Obviously Watchmen came before Incredibles!
We have a winner :P

I'm curious why Hesten had to correct me, but let Aslanna's follow-up sarcasam slide?!?
Because i was sure that Aslanna was sarcastic, but wasnt sure if you were sarcastic, or just didnt remember that part of Watchmen :)
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

not that i'm bragging, but i have 6 passes to see this on monday.

im awesome.
Fuck Michigan!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I'm going to see the exact same movie after the price drops on the DVD.

I'm awesomer.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Zamtuk wrote:not that i'm bragging, but i have 6 passes to see this on monday.

im awesome.
You can only brag if it's at an Imax.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Best Buy Watchmen Movie Pack - 2 Tickets. ( 8 dollars total )
with Xbox 360 console or Xbox Live products

It's a superhero story like you've never experienced before — the epic, graphic-novel-turned-big-screen-event, Watchmen.

And now, when you order an Xbox 360 console or Xbox Live product listed below, you can grab a free Watchmen movie pack. It contains two movie coupon codes to see the flick, as well as access to cool content via Xbox Live.
Just buy a 1 month of Xbox Live gold membership card here
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Got imax tickets for Friday afternoon. Zack better not have screwed this up! Almost scared to see it really for that reason. Still don't think it should have been made but I'll give it a chance.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/reviews/888/Watchmen/

Here is the first Watchmen review I have read, and it happens to be from one of my favorite reviewers. There are no spoilers and it's a good way to get ready for what you're going to see. I've got Imax tickets for Saturday and can't wait.
Loyal to a fault, Zack Snyder's "Watchmen" takes Alan Moore's subversive magnum opus of comic-dom and brings it to the big screen in a wildly ambitious, often frustrating, but ultimately successful experiment that will divide audiences.

More admirable than engaging, this is a dense work filled with so many layers both historical and intellectual that its deeper meanings are almost impossible to truly capture on a single viewing (making reviewing it under such conditions a daunting prospect). Yet like its most colorful character Rorschach, the no compromise mentality which fuses comic book pulp with existential overtones will ostracize it from reaching beyond a limited but hardcore set who will exalt it as the new standard.

One can't blame them, even if you don't warm to its icy and often inert tone which routinely drags in spite of the information overload, it's almost impossible not to admire the sheer ambition on display and reverence to the source material. Considering the cinematic abortions of previous Alan Moore adaptations that bared no resemblance to their infinitely more interesting comic counterparts (ie. "From Hell," "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"), nothing has come so close to capturing the mad Englishman's idiosyncratic style like this.

Moore's original 1985 work was a nihilistic satire which deconstructed super heroics in a real world setting, bringing an adult sensibility and approach to what had been until then a medium often dismissed as kids fare. At a time when the comics world had never seen anything like it, it has since gone on to attain almost mythical status amongst that particular geek-dom. Yet it remains very much an insider book, relying on a good knowledge of superhero comics which have never really caught on in a big way outside America except in other mediums like film and television.

For those of us on the outside who find their comic knowledge very limited, it is still an intriguing work of literature yet one not without issues. Moore's use of a fairly predictable murder-mystery storyline for example seemed like a pale Agatha Christie imitation, lacking her ingenious skill of setup and diversion. In book form though, it was merely a way to tie the various episodic flights of fancy Moore had in mind together.

Transposed to the big screen however, that narrative has to take front and center stage while the book's more interesting tangents are scaled back. To his credit Snyder tries to retain as much as he can, and no doubt the upcoming director's cut will be able incorporate more. However it can't resolve the inherent stillness to the whole thing, a distinct lack of energy, drive and cohesiveness that pulls everything together into a compelling story rather than blindly throwing up a hodge podge of intriguing ideas which are never followed through.

The result is a schizophrenic and overloaded film that veers between self-indulgent boredom, mere imitation of the very material it's ironically trying to lampoon, and inspired pockets of genius. The opening credits sequence, the various back story flashbacks (especially Dr. Manhattan), Rorscach's stint in prison, and the historical context scenes like the Comedian & Manhattan in Vietnam work beautifully. Certainly some of the liberties that Snyder takes with the material - from an ending that improves on Moore's original tome to the odd whimsical but pointed soundtrack inclusion like German Cold War-protest song hit '99 Luftballoons' - work with surprising vigor.

Other elements however from Manhattan's overly long but picturesque martian sojourn; Rorscach's irritating voiceover monologue; the excessive violence - did we really need to see a dog's crushed skull in close-up twice to get the point that it's dead?; the surprisingly amateur make-up; Snyder's signature slow-mo action nonsense and blindly rapid cross-cutting editing style; and the at times awkward infusion of pre-determined songs, Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" for example, simply don't have the impact that they are obviously hoping to achieve.

Part of that, and one of the reasons fans will adore it so much, is the simple refusal to appeal to an audience unfamiliar with the material. Throwing us in the deep end right from the get go, it demands you pay attention for all of its near three-hour runtime and even then will often prove confusing during its first act in which so much information is being thrown at the screen that its daunting even amongst those well-versed in the material (for the record I normally don't read much in the way of comics, but I did read this twice a few years ago and once again about two months ago).

With so much exposition being trucked out in an often dourly deadpan manner, I found myself warming to Nite Owl & Silk Spectre's budding romance storyline as it is one of the few subplots that takes time to breathe and feels the most human. The film's last act settles down into a more natural superhero film rhythm with a greater emphasis on action and larger scale villainy than dialogue. That third act tonal change, somewhat resembling Chris Nolan's less complex but more accessible and emotionally resonant "Batman Begins", will come as a relief to some. Yet it will likely upset those who prefer the more introspective and dramatic meat of the first two acts.

Performances are solid but never stellar, and none will really stand out as a truly memorable bit of work. Covered in his endlessly shifting facemask for most of the film, Rorscach is a more violent take on Phillip Marlowe with a gruff voice that's every bit as irritating as Christian Bale's Caped Crusader rasp. Wandering the streets pontificating about the bleakness of life, the performance only comes alive when the mask is ditched in prison and Jackie Earle Haley's physically fascinating face comes into play. His fights with the inmates and verbal sparring with his shrink are some of the film's best scenes.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan's take on The Comedian is surprisingly engaging and makes us like or at least understand this amoral asshole who commits some pretty atrocious acts on screen from nearly raping a woman in one scene to the brutal killing of an innocent in the next. Patrick Wilson brings a human touch to Nite Owl and his various unresolved issues, while Billy Crudup does a strong job with the film's most impenetrable and aloof role of the naked blue God among men Dr. Manhattan. Despite reports that Malin Ackerman or Matthew Goode are the weak links (a fair argument), neither are noticeably less than professional and do fine with the material they've been given (though their costumes border on Schumacher-level camp).

The 'R' rating is very much in play here. The gore quotient is reminiscent of the "Saw" sequels, although the violence here at least has a point much of the time. There's a somewhat corny but effective sex scene which plays up the inherent fetishism of superhero antics and rubber/latex outfits, while the many other themes dealt with will go over the heads of teens (and even a few adults). That fusion of lower common denominator tastes with higher minded philosophizing feels awkward, much like the dialogue which is often perfectly reasonable for a 1985 comic book world but sounds glib even in this heavily stylized period-specific real world setting. Cinematography and production design of a noir-ish, rain soaked mid-80's New York City is effectively realized.

In being so faithful to the word of the book, Snyder has in some ways missed its entire point. A film that's truly faithful to the central conceit Moore put forward in "Watchmen" would bear little resemblance to the book, instead it would spend its time dissecting the cinematic superhero realm whether it be the campy 60's incarnations, the overblown but epic 80's and 90's versions, or the tortured, self-serious loners that dominate the multiplexes today. That would also in many ways solve the inherent limited appeal of the original work as the global audience is far more familiar with the cinematic versions of Superman or Batman than the comic predecessors that spawned them.

This more timid approach of an utterly loyal adaptation, in being so authentic, is beholden to Moore's deliberate style and thus never truly stands alone as its own piece of art. That disconnect means it will struggle to find an audience (this ain't the box-office or critical ground breaker that "The Dark Knight" was folks), but it will allow the film to stand the test of time far better than many of its dumber comic book-to-screen brethren.

Indeed, in spite of my misgivings about the film's pacing and stiffness, a few days on the stronger elements of it are still with me and it's one of the few comic book films I would like to see again. Even other good quality efforts in the genre with more immediate appeal like "Iron Man" or "X-Men 2" I never felt such a need to go back to. "Watchmen" is not an easy film to categorize or review, and in a category dominated by formula it's rare to come across something that can fairly be called unique and inspired.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

This is what I get for bragging.

In some retarded way to make a buck, the theater (AMC owned) decided to sell the tickets to the movie that the studio gave away starting at noon. When we got there around 40 minutes early to get good seats, they were sold out. Our tickets we had were without notice null and void. Total bullshit. Everyone who had the free passes threw a fit causing the manager to be just as rude with us. When she started to circulate a mailing list to get similar tickets to a different movie in a future, I threw a bigger fit, and made them buy me tickets to a movie of my choice that night. If they didn't want the studio to buy us a ticket, then they could. When the mob got behind that argument, the manager had no choice but to comply.

The International wasn't bad.
Fuck Michigan!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Spang wrote:I'm going to see the exact same movie after the price drops on the DVD.

I'm awesomer.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Eh, if you consider seeing the movie 4 months later at double the cost of a ticket awesome, then you win. But considering how there is a shitload more dvd content (allegedly) that will more than likely be added in a separate edition to get more money from people, you will probably be buying two copies.
Fuck Michigan!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Seems like one would have to be a fan of the comic book to enjoy this one? Trailers looked rather dull to me. Silly saturation or superhero cinema?
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Zamtuk wrote:This is what I get for bragging.

In some retarded way to make a buck, the theater (AMC owned) decided to sell the tickets to the movie that the studio gave away starting at noon. When we got there around 40 minutes early to get good seats, they were sold out. Our tickets we had were without notice null and void. Total bullshit. Everyone who had the free passes threw a fit causing the manager to be just as rude with us. When she started to circulate a mailing list to get similar tickets to a different movie in a future, I threw a bigger fit, and made them buy me tickets to a movie of my choice that night. If they didn't want the studio to buy us a ticket, then they could. When the mob got behind that argument, the manager had no choice but to comply.

The International wasn't bad.

I thought they were not allowed to sell tickets to a movie prior to the release date. Turn them in!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Zamtuk wrote:Eh, if you consider seeing the movie 4 months later at double the cost of a ticket awesome, then you win. But considering how there is a shitload more dvd content (allegedly) that will more than likely be added in a separate edition to get more money from people, you will probably be buying two copies.
This cost me 12.50$ per ticket (25$ toal for the wife and I). The DVD will be around 20$ or less and have 30 additional minutes of footage and who knows how many extras. Waiting is a completely valid option IMO, especially if you're not a huge fan.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Zamtuk wrote:Eh, if you consider seeing the movie 4 months later at double the cost of a ticket awesome, then you win. But considering how there is a shitload more dvd content (allegedly) that will more than likely be added in a separate edition to get more money from people, you will probably be buying two copies.
I'll purchase the DVD when it's $10 or less. Also, I won't replace it with a special edition unless the special edition is similarly priced.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Reviews are mixed and the buzz (from non-comic nerds) is pretty much non existant... unlike the buzz for Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

Doesn't look like this is gonna be the blockbuster that some people expected.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:Reviews are mixed and the buzz (from non-comic nerds) is pretty much non existant... unlike the buzz for Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

‘Watchmen’ Breaks Pre-Release Record, Analysts Make Opening Weekend Box Office Predictions

It doesn’t hit wide-release until this Friday, but reports are beginning to roll in that “Watchmen” is already a certified record-breaker.

In addition to yesterday’s report that “Watchmen” stands poised to be Zack Snyder’s most successful film to date, today, The Hollywood Reporter delivers news that — with 1,600 locations showing the film starting at midnight tonight — it’s stands as the most theaters ever to show an R-rated film. To put that into perspective, Snyder’s previous comic book flick, “300″, opened to 656 Thursday-at-midnight showings.

Meanwhile, with that record in the bag, the folks over at SlashFilm.com did some anonymous-insider number-crunching to get predictions on just how much “Watchmen” could bring home over when its opening weekend receipts are tallied. Their best guesstimates after the jump.

According to numerous Hollywood execs polled by SlashFilm, “Watchmen” looks to make anywhere between $55 and as high as $70-$75 million (guessed by “one exec at a competing studio”) in the coming three days. The number “Watchmen” fans and Warner Bros. executives will be watching is $70.8 million, which would top “300″ as the top all-time March opening take.

In any case, the signs are looking good for “Watchmen” to do some serious money-making over the weekend, as IMAX Filmed Entertainment president Greg Foster was quick to point out that IMAX’s website crashed four times during this week after being flooded by fans looking for info on tickets to midnight screenings.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I think a lot of people going in who don't know anything about it other than the trailers will probably be a bit disappointed. The trailer did make it seem like it was an action-packed superhero movie. And while the story does have that I didn't think it is its main focus. But maybe some 'adjustments' were made to keep the pacing up. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

--
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I think it was silly for people to think that Snyder could translate Watchmen to the big screen as easy as he did 300. The graphic novel of 300 had relatively little dialogue and was aesthetically driven by Miller's artistic style. Watchmen on the other hand was a 12 issue mini that demanded more from the reader than most novels do these days.

I actually enjoyed the film, but I had no reason to believe it would hold a candle to the original series. It was fun just to see fragments of the original story come alive on the big screen and I enjoyed most of it. But if you expected it to be as phenomenal as the original series...then you probably never read the original series...and you probably enjoyed 300 too much.

I think it was tragic that they put a newbie like Snyder on this film. It needs a cinematic genius like Christopher Nolan. I know that's not reasonable since he's making Batman into the most intriguing and believable hero of our decade...but he would be good for it.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Never read the graphic novel but just back from watching the film in the Cinema.

It was completely epic, amazing and stunning to look at. It's like, what 3 hours long? Didn't feel like it, I wasn't bored once.

Its the best "comic book" film I've ever seen by a long distance.

I'll have a think about it, but damn that was fucking amazing. For the record I'm glad the Batman director wasn't involved, whoever directed this one is a substantially more interesting, gifted and exciting Director (a thousand times over) than the somewhat stodgy, at times boring, Batman guy. Bleh, the two aren't even comparable. The films or Directors I mean. It's a whole different class entirely with Watchmen.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Zack Snyder

I guess they haven't taught you that at that fancy university you attend!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Untitled 300 Sequel (2010) (announced)
What? Really? Why?!

--
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Aslanna wrote:
Untitled 300 Sequel (2010) (announced)
What? Really? Why?!

They do have a title for the sequel, its called 1
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Reviews are mixed and the buzz (from non-comic nerds) is pretty much non existant... unlike the buzz for Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

I'm still not sure what I make of it yet. I might need to see it again. However I think people unfamiliar with the source material will have a better time with the movie. I kept watching and thinking of all the things that were changed, abbreviated, or omitted. Obviously a < 3 hour movie can't compare to the original 12 volume work but that doesn't mean you wont notice or miss those things.

Oh and Christopher Nolan would have been like.. The totally wrong director for this movie. I mean seriously. For the most part the 2 Batman movies were snoozefests. Yeah I said it.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It was a great movie. I'm not sure how it will be received as it's not as mainstream as the rest of the comic book movies but it wins in the "thinker" department.

Rorschach was awesome. I thought all the actors did a fine job. The director should get lots of credit as well.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Oh and Christopher Nolan would have been like.. The totally wrong director for this movie. I mean seriously. For the most part the 2 Batman movies were snoozefests. Yeah I said it.

/boggle
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You heard me!

--
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I did! And I'd love to hear more on why you felt that way(though I'm sure it's on a Batman movie thread somewhere)...

It's just seriously hard for me to imagine anyone thinking them as anything less than...well...great.

For instance...I could've plugged my ears and shut out all audible plot elements and still enjoyed it visually. I also could have put a scarf over my eyes and enjoyed just the sound, score, and dialogue.

Anyhow, I enjoyed Watchmen a lot. I just happen to be one of those comic nerds that thinks Watchmen was one of the best comics ever written, and even though I enjoyed the film, I think Snyder is over-rated and the film deserved a better director. (I do think he is a good young director...I just wanted more for this film.)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fantastic movie. Before going in, I was hoping for an 8/10. As the credits were rolling, it was an easy 9.5 for me. My wife gave it a 9, my best frind gave it a 9.5, and his wife gave it a 9. The 4 of us all have varying degrees of familiarity for both comics and movies in general. I was surprised at the consensus. The theater lobby was alive with chatter after the movie and everyone was pretty excited about what they just saw.

The movie was epic and highly enjoyable. I'm hard pressed to try and make a comparison with any other movie I have ever seen since it was so unique. Everything about it was just so different. I highly recommend seeing this movie in an Imax if you can. The cinematography was perfect for the format. When I saw Batman Begins there, years ago, the action was a little too close and frantic for the Imax IMO. This movie was perfect. Also, Snyder's ending was significantly better than the original. I was worried, then relieved, and eventually impressed.

We talked about the movie for well over an hour after we watched it, which was really fun hearing everyone's favorite little parts in the movie (many of which the others missed). I thought the opening credits were the best I have seen in a movie since, well, the Dawn of the Dead remake.

I was really hoping for the best, and I still find myself surprised at how good it was. I look forward to picking up the Black Freighter/Under the Hood on DVD at the end of the month, as well as the extended DVD in the future. I may actually go see this one again at the Imax with another group of friends. I hope the movie does well. This type of creativity and unique film making needs to be rewarded and encouraged.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

BEST MOVIE REVIEW EVER (*spoilers*): http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives ... en_li.html
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:BEST MOVIE REVIEW EVER (*spoilers*): http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives ... en_li.html
That woman is a moron. And yeah. Major spoiler alert on that review.
* Many scenes of Dr. Manhattan's computer generated penis swinging about;
Why is she so scared of the blue penis? There are only 2 scenes where you see it. 3 at most. And it's not "swinging about". I just don't see the big deal but I've seen lots of people mention it.

--
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I saw it. I thought it was good. I'd put it in the top group of recent comic movies, along with Sin City and the Dark Knight, and above the not-quite-top-tier group of X-Men 2, Batman Begins, V for Vendetta and so on.

I was left a little unsatisfied, because, as I was watching it, and despite never having read the comic, I found myself repeatedly thinking "this would be much better as a comic book than as a movie." It's wildly ambitious, which is admirable, but it doesn't quite pull off everything it's aiming to do, which I think is inherent in the source material. It's just not well-suited to be a really top-notch film.

I thought that Rorschach was the best-done character, and Dr. Manhattan was the most interesting and provocative character. It really was a good movie overall, and I enjoyed it, but I'm not convinced that making it was worthwhile. I guess the comic is still there to stand on its own, unaffected by the movie, so it's not like there's any harm in making it or whatever.

The lady character had a nice butt.

I'm totally convinced that you could see Dr. Manhattan's penis in substantially more than two or three scenes. There was a LOT of Dr. Manhattan penis. And it did swing. Not that any of this takes away from the movie, but there was a lot of CGI cock.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Maybe. I didn't really set out to count the penises so that's really all the ones I recall. And yes I saw it on imax.There was nothing gratuitous about it. Personally I think a lot of people, particularly prudish Americans, are getting way too worked up about it. Why people choose to get offended about seeing the human body, male or female, is something I don't really understand. If people have issues with too much penis, blue or otherwise, perhaps they should seek out therapy or something.
Last edited by Aslanna on March 8, 2009, 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The movie was much more about the experiance IMO, in which it pulled off very well, similar to what 300 did. I would say a lot of the reviews will depend on how much baggage people bring to the movie. If people go into it with an open mind I believe they will have a much higher opinion about the movie, smilar as V For Vendetta. Like I said above, I really can't compare it to anything else, so at the very least I'm glad to have seen something unique.

Yes, there was a ton of blue cock in the movie. Much more than 2-3 scenes. Of course, on the Imax, it's like 15 feet long so hard to not notice it. I'm really glad they kept him naked though. There were a lot of small battles like that for Snyder during production of the movie.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Where the fuck was my giant octopus ?
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Just got back from it. I haven't read the graphic novel, and put off reading it so I wouldn't be comparing it to the movie. I only have 1 word to describe the movie:

Awesome.

Two words?

Fracking awesome.

It wasn't the most amazing film of all time, but it was smart, entertaining, and well acted. The guy who played Rorschach was excellent. There were a few slow spots, but overall it was exciting. The opening sequence with the credits was beautiful.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Come on you insecure people. The blue penis wasn't overexposed. During closeups, they were careful to show from the waste up and when they didn't Dr Manhattan had a speedo on.

There was nothing wrong with lower Manhattan in the movie.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I'm not saying that I have a problem with the cock. I'm just saying that, objectively, there was a lot of cock.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Just admit you love the cock.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Someone sure put a lot of time into this trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Ka8DnUVEQ